SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
majnana

New

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Post by majnana » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:28 pm

Also, can anyone give me feedback on living in The Hill at The Village? :)

GardenGnome

New

Post by GardenGnome » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:23 pm

majnana wrote:Also, can anyone give me feedback on living in The Hill at The Village? :)
I have some friends who live over there and they all enjoy it. You are close to campus (5-10 minutes) and have access to a massive park and a country club that is across the street. It is cheap compared to your other options around SMU. Anything in Highland Park or Uptown is going to be heavy financially.

nouseforaname123

Bronze

Post by nouseforaname123 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:45 pm

majnana wrote:What kind of job offers, salary, etc can someone who actually does place top 10% at SMU expect? And when you say top 10%, is that basically just based on 1L grades? I'm under the impression that a great deal of job offers come from 2L summer employment, which is based off just that one year of grades. So is it uber-important to place top 10% in the first year, then less important 2nd and 3rd years? (I'm also under the impression that if you don't have a job offer by the start of 3L you are practically doomed to a life of doc review. Is that more or less right?)
Top 10% very likely gets you Biglaw. Generally, biglaw starts at $160k, but some firms pay less than that.

Interviewing for Biglaw occurs during OCI, which is held in the August before your 2L year. Yes, employers are basically screening you on the basis of your 1L grades. You then work for those firms during the summer following your 2L year. At the end of that summer, those firms will make permanent job offers. About 10-15% of the class seems to land these types of jobs.

Generally, non-biglaw employers wait until closer to graduation to make hiring decisions. This doesn't mean a non-biglaw student is doomed to a life of doc review, but serious hustle is needed to land a position.

majnana

New

Post by majnana » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:48 pm

GardenGnome wrote:
majnana wrote:Also, can anyone give me feedback on living in The Hill at The Village? :)
I have some friends who live over there and they all enjoy it. You are close to campus (5-10 minutes) and have access to a massive park and a country club that is across the street. It is cheap compared to your other options around SMU. Anything in Highland Park or Uptown is going to be heavy financially.
Thanks. I have to rent a three-bedroom (myself, spouse, and three kids) and The Hill is about the cheapest I can find in the area. Once cost of gas and inconvenience is factored in, it doesn't make much sense to live up in Plano or other northern areas, despite the rent difference. And the Village seems like it has a whole lot of amenities. It's pretty old, though... Built in the 70's. And no elevator to the second floor, which is where the apartment I'm looking at is located.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:02 pm

majnana wrote:What kind of job offers, salary, etc can someone who actually does place top 10% at SMU expect? And when you say top 10%, is that basically just based on 1L grades? I'm under the impression that a great deal of job offers come from 2L summer employment, which is based off just that one year of grades. So is it uber-important to place top 10% in the first year, then less important 2nd and 3rd years? (I'm also under the impression that if you don't have a job offer by the start of 3L you are practically doomed to a life of doc review. Is that more or less right?)

Unless you suck at interviewing, you're looking at your pick of firms most likely. There are plenty of big-name firms (Akin Gump, Baker Botts) that start at $160K that come to SMU, and there also well-respected but more local firms (Winstead) that have less onerous hours but also pay around $135K or so.

You do the work your second summer, but it's based off your first-year grades.

But doc review is a lot of what you'll do at a large firm, so being "doomed to doc review" cuts both ways. In fact, doc review is a massive chunk of what you will do your entire career as an attorney.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Well_he_did_not

New

Post by Well_he_did_not » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:14 pm

Can anyone speak to firms in Dallas that try to specifically recruit minorities either as summer associates or 1 year associates? I don't know how much truth this holds but I've been told that some firms try to diversify their associates a bit. Any truth to this? And if so, to what extent?

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:15 pm

Well_he_did_not wrote:Can anyone speak to firms in Dallas that try to specifically recruit minorities either as summer associates or 1 year associates? I don't know how much truth this holds but I've been told that some firms try to diversify their associates a bit. Any truth to this? And if so, to what extent?
I am also interested in this in the Dallas context.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:17 pm

Well_he_did_not wrote:Can anyone speak to firms in Dallas that try to specifically recruit minorities either as summer associates or 1 year associates? I don't know how much truth this holds but I've been told that some firms try to diversify their associates a bit. Any truth to this? And if so, to what extent?

Yes, there are. They have minority programs for 1L SA's and that sort of thing. I don't know much about it since I am about as majority as they come, but maybe Thirteen can give you some insight. I suggest that because he (1) attends SMU, and (2) is URM. I have no idea if he investigated the programs, did anything with them, or can offer any insight, but try PM'ing him.

majnana

New

Post by majnana » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:33 pm

kalvano wrote:

Unless you suck at interviewing, you're looking at your pick of firms most likely. There are plenty of big-name firms (Akin Gump, Baker Botts) that start at $160K that come to SMU, and there also well-respected but more local firms (Winstead) that have less onerous hours but also pay around $135K or so.

But doc review is a lot of what you'll do at a large firm, so being "doomed to doc review" cuts both ways. In fact, doc review is a massive chunk of what you will do your entire career as an attorney.
Doc review doesn't sound so bad in and of itself, actually. :) I love to proof-read, and I've done work-related tasks in other jobs that sound similar to doc review. However, I hear that the temporary kind can be a quick career-killer. So the more local firms really do have less onerous hours? I wonder if grads with families ever choose a lower-paying job over a higher-paying one just for better "work/life" balance.

On a side-note, I went to the Dallas area of the Baker Botts website to look through their associate profiles. Tons of associates but very, very few SMU grads. :/ Is the turn-over just that quick or do they only pluck, like, one associate per year from SMU?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Well_he_did_not

New

Post by Well_he_did_not » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:33 pm

I'll PM him JXander, I'll fwd you the reply if I get one.

Thanks man @kalvano

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:34 pm

Well_he_did_not wrote:I'll PM him JXander, I'll fwd you the reply if I get one.

Thanks man @kalvano
can I get it too?

Well_he_did_not

New

Post by Well_he_did_not » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:35 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:

Thanks man @kalvano
can I get it too?
yezzir

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:37 pm

Well_he_did_not wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:

Thanks man @kalvano
can I get it too?
yezzir
Thanks so much!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:39 pm

Thanks man @kalvano
Thank you! :)

chem!

Platinum

Post by chem! » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:56 pm

kalvano wrote:

Do you know how OCI works for PT students since it takes 3 semesters to complete the 1L classes? Thanks for all your helpfulness, by the way.

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:02 pm

chemteacher wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Do you know how OCI works for PT students since it takes 3 semesters to complete the 1L classes? Thanks for all your helpfulness, by the way.
They just do OCI the fall of their 3rd year.

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:04 pm

JXander wrote:
Haynes and Boone has some 1L diversity scholars every year. I think Fulbright does too. They've picked up a few SMU URMs over the last couple of years.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:07 pm

tfer2222 wrote:
JXander wrote:
Haynes and Boone has some 1L diversity scholars every year. I think Fulbright does too. They've picked up a few SMU URMs over the last couple of years.
I thought Fulbright stayed away from SMU?

nouseforaname123

Bronze

Post by nouseforaname123 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:10 pm

I can comment on the URM and recruiting questions, but would rather do it via PM.

If those of you that are interested don't have questions that reveal personal details about yourselves I'll respond by group PM.

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:11 pm

majnana wrote:
Doc review doesn't sound so bad in and of itself, actually. :) I love to proof-read, and I've done work-related tasks in other jobs that sound similar to doc review. However, I hear that the temporary kind can be a quick career-killer. So the more local firms really do have less onerous hours? I wonder if grads with families ever choose a lower-paying job over a higher-paying one just for better "work/life" balance.

On a side-note, I went to the Dallas area of the Baker Botts website to look through their associate profiles. Tons of associates but very, very few SMU grads. :/ Is the turn-over just that quick or do they only pluck, like, one associate per year from SMU?
BB only takes maybe 1-2 SMU SA's each year. I think last summer there were 3, one of whom had worked as a 1L the summer before. Most of the Vault firms only keep a couple of SMU spots each year. Weil & GDC tend to be the pickiest grade-wise.

With top 10% + LR, you'll get basically every interview you want via preselect OCI, so you won't need to use all of your bids. You can count on anywhere from 20-30 interviews, depending on how many bids you use. Getting the callbacks and offers depends on your personality, but it really isn't hard to pick up several offers.

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:12 pm

JXander wrote:
tfer2222 wrote:
JXander wrote:
I thought Fulbright stayed away from SMU?
uhh not to my knowledge. i know 2 SMU students going there next fall. (non-URM)
Last edited by tfer2222 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nouseforaname123

Bronze

Post by nouseforaname123 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:13 pm

chemteacher wrote:
kalvano wrote:

PT student here. The only difference is that you go through OCI after four semesters (after your 2E year). Everything else is exactly the same.

ETA: Really, the best way to think of the part-time program is as if you started a year earlier than your FT counterparts. You'll go through OCI and be eligible for Law Review on the same timetable as the FT students in your graduating class.

chem!

Platinum

Post by chem! » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:34 pm

nouseforaname123 wrote:
chemteacher wrote:
kalvano wrote:

PT student here. The only difference is that you go through OCI after four semesters (after your 2E year). Everything else is exactly the same.

ETA: Really, the best way to think of the part-time program is as if you started a year earlier than your FT counterparts. You'll go through OCI and be eligible for Law Review on the same timetable as the FT students in your graduating class.
Thank you very much. :)

Magnoliab1071

New

Post by Magnoliab1071 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:56 pm

majnana wrote:
GardenGnome wrote:
Thanks. I have to rent a three-bedroom (myself, spouse, and three kids) and The Hill is about the cheapest I can find in the area. Once cost of gas and inconvenience is factored in, it doesn't make much sense to live up in Plano or other northern areas, despite the rent difference. And the Village seems like it has a whole lot of amenities. It's pretty old, though... Built in the 70's. And no elevator to the second floor, which is where the apartment I'm looking at is located.
I live at The Hill. The age isn't too big of a problem. Some units have really nice upgrades (wood blinds, wood floors). Mine doesn't, but it has fresh paint and clean carpets, so it's still pretty nice. The problem with the age is energy efficiency, so plan for your electric bill to be about $100 higher per month. Really, except for the frat boys who live downstairs, I love it. And the park and country club are really nice.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:58 pm

My roommate just told me my acceptance package came, does anyone know if scholly information comes with it or does it come later...I might have to leave work early for this

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”