Gonzaga c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nmlf16

Gonzaga c/o 2016

Postby nmlf16 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:08 pm

Didn't see a thread going for this app cycle so here it is.

nolabreeze

Re: Gonzaga c/o 2016

Postby nolabreeze » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:36 am

checking in. got a fee waiver and I want to live in PNW.

nmlf16

Postby nmlf16 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:13 pm

Received my status checker email today. Complete as of 12/5.

nmlf16

Postby nmlf16 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:47 pm

Went under review 12/10.

nmlf16

Postby nmlf16 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:04 pm

Status checker changed to "decision made". No info on the website about how I'll be notified of the decision.

nolabreeze

Postby nolabreeze » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:44 pm

ah cool, me too.

GM544

Postby GM544 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:13 pm

nmlf16 wrote:Status checker changed to "decision made". No info on the website about how I'll be notified of the decision.

I read somewhere that all decisions will be sent by mail. I went under review today!

nmlf16

Postby nmlf16 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:58 am

Got my admissions packet a few days back. They offered $20.5k/year. Kinda disappointing since Stetson, who is basically the same rank-wise, gave me a full ride with a stipend. I'm hoping they'll up it down the road or I can negotiate up a bit.

atay

Postby atay » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:03 pm

I got in today with 19.5k a year.

AKsnow

Postby AKsnow » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:08 am

nmlf16 wrote:Got my admissions packet a few days back. They offered $20.5k/year. Kinda disappointing since Stetson, who is basically the same rank-wise, gave me a full ride with a stipend. I'm hoping they'll up it down the road or I can negotiate up a bit.

I get the feeling that's the highest they offer initially. 168/3.7X with the same scholly offer with an undergrad in the same area.

Tabemaju

Postby Tabemaju » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:34 pm

I was advised by a faculty member to talk to admissions about applying late this cycle, since I was not happy with my offer last cycle, and they're apparently (like most schools) badly in need of students. I'm stuck in Spokane, so Gonzaga is my only real option. I was planning on retaking the LSAT to get a better offer (3.9, 163) but was advised I've already capped their scholarship amount, so retaking wouldn't do me any good. She advised me they might be raising (then corrected and said likely will be) raising their max offer this summer. I applied, but I'm still not sure I'll be going unless there's a significant increase on the 50k scholly they offered me last year.

Chelsea319

Postby Chelsea319 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:56 pm

Has anyone heard anything recently? My status checker went into review on January 3, so I feel like decisions should be soon...

nmlf16

Postby nmlf16 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:06 pm

Tabemaju wrote:I was advised by a faculty member to talk to admissions about applying late this cycle, since I was not happy with my offer last cycle, and they're apparently (like most schools) badly in need of students. I'm stuck in Spokane, so Gonzaga is my only real option. I was planning on retaking the LSAT to get a better offer (3.9, 163) but was advised I've already capped their scholarship amount, so retaking wouldn't do me any good. She advised me they might be raising (then corrected and said likely will be) raising their max offer this summer. I applied, but I'm still not sure I'll be going unless there's a significant increase on the 50k scholly they offered me last year.

Do you mean 50k/per year or spread over 3 years was their max offer that they told you? Just curious because they offered me 20.5k/year this year.

atay

Postby atay » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:19 pm

nmlf16 wrote:
Tabemaju wrote:I was advised by a faculty member to talk to admissions about applying late this cycle, since I was not happy with my offer last cycle, and they're apparently (like most schools) badly in need of students. I'm stuck in Spokane, so Gonzaga is my only real option. I was planning on retaking the LSAT to get a better offer (3.9, 163) but was advised I've already capped their scholarship amount, so retaking wouldn't do me any good. She advised me they might be raising (then corrected and said likely will be) raising their max offer this summer. I applied, but I'm still not sure I'll be going unless there's a significant increase on the 50k scholly they offered me last year.

Do you mean 50k/per year or spread over 3 years was their max offer that they told you? Just curious because they offered me 20.5k/year this year.

I don't know if you got the max offer, but it looks like you got the highest offer thus far http://gonzaga.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants

letmein14

Postby letmein14 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:59 pm

Whoever got accepted: on the status checker did you see an amount for First and Second seat deposit?

AKsnow

Postby AKsnow » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:40 pm

letmein14 wrote:Whoever got accepted: on the status checker did you see an amount for First and Second seat deposit?

Nope. Good luck!

GM544

Postby GM544 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:11 pm

Does anyone know if the Thomas More Scholarship includes anything beyond tuition?

atay

Postby atay » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:46 am

GM544 wrote:Does anyone know if the Thomas More Scholarship includes anything beyond tuition?

To my knowledge no. That is kind of my question too though... Like do I get to keep part of my 19.5k offer for COL...? I'm not gutsy enough to ask this though since I already asked a few questions about the scholarship and it sounds like I don't have a chance with community service that is just "here and there."

GM544

Postby GM544 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:36 am

atay wrote:
GM544 wrote:Does anyone know if the Thomas More Scholarship includes anything beyond tuition?

To my knowledge no. That is kind of my question too though... Like do I get to keep part of my 19.5k offer for COL...? I'm not gutsy enough to ask this though since I already asked a few questions about the scholarship and it sounds like I don't have a chance with community service that is just "here and there."

Thanks for the info! That's been my impression as well. Maybe if I get it, I could try to negotiate? I have family in Spokane, but I feel it would be foolish to turn down UW when the difference in COA is <100k. Or maybe just foolish period?

AKsnow

Postby AKsnow » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:35 pm

GM544 wrote:
atay wrote:

Thanks for the info! That's been my impression as well. Maybe if I get it, I could try to negotiate? I have family in Spokane, but I feel it would be foolish to turn down UW when the difference in COA is <100k. Or maybe just foolish period?

If you get in to UW, please do yourself a favor and go to UW unless you are set on practicing in E. Washington.

atay

Postby atay » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:40 pm

AKsnow wrote:
GM544 wrote:
atay wrote:

If you get in to UW, please do yourself a favor and go to UW unless you are set on practicing in E. Washington.

I would go to UW over Gonzaga in a heartbeat, but I got waitlisted. I'm not a big fan of Spokane personally and when I visited Gonzaga for undergrad I just didn't like the feel. I definitely feel like there are reasons to pick a school that are more important than rank though and considering it's rank, Gonzaga actually has pretty good employment stats.

AKsnow

Postby AKsnow » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:07 am

atay wrote:I would go to UW over Gonzaga in a heartbeat, but I got waitlisted. I'm not a big fan of Spokane personally and when I visited Gonzaga for undergrad I just didn't like the feel. I definitely feel like there are reasons to pick a school that are more important than rank though and considering it's rank, Gonzaga actually has pretty good employment stats.

I think there are plenty of reasons for selecting a school other than based on rank alone. That's why I said don't choose Gonzaga over UW unless you want to practice in Eastern Washington. Gonzaga is a good school-- for that very small region. Send UW a LOCI if you haven't already.

atay

Postby atay » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:51 pm

AKsnow wrote:
atay wrote:I would go to UW over Gonzaga in a heartbeat, but I got waitlisted. I'm not a big fan of Spokane personally and when I visited Gonzaga for undergrad I just didn't like the feel. I definitely feel like there are reasons to pick a school that are more important than rank though and considering it's rank, Gonzaga actually has pretty good employment stats.

I think there are plenty of reasons for selecting a school other than based on rank alone. That's why I said don't choose Gonzaga over UW unless you want to practice in Eastern Washington. Gonzaga is a good school-- for that very small region. Send UW a LOCI if you haven't already.

I will. I'm actually considering retaking the LSAT in June. UW at sticker might be kind of a bummer. Totally worth it I'm sure but I feel like I might be able to squeeze some more money out of the other schools, I only got a 157 so I have lots of room for improvement. I just got a letter from Gonzaga awarding me an additional $1,500 per year scholarship (total $21,000 per year), so that was kind of encouraging.

GM544

Postby GM544 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:24 am

atay wrote:
AKsnow wrote:

I will. I'm actually considering retaking the LSAT in June. UW at sticker might be kind of a bummer. Totally worth it I'm sure but I feel like I might be able to squeeze some more money out of the other schools, I only got a 157 so I have lots of room for improvement. I just got a letter from Gonzaga awarding me an additional $1,500 per year scholarship (total $21,000 per year), so that was kind of encouraging.

I received a very similar letter today! I would say definitely retake. You have nothing to lose and a lot to gain.

As for GU's employment, the stats are encouraging, but almost half (59/123) of 2011 grads with jobs are in Washington, and with what I've learned about the Seattle market, that means the rest of the state. If that doesn't thrill you, I'd hold out for UW.

The only reason it's even a question for me is because my family is in Spokane and my significant other may be as well (waiting on residency match). I wouldn't mind spending the rest of my life in Spokane, so Gonzaga has some benefits for me.

Relatedly, I'm from Spokane, so I'm happy to answer any questions anyone has about the city.

atay

Postby atay » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:53 pm

Awesome! I figured they probably sent out a few of those but I had emailed asking questions about the scholarship so I thought maybe that's why I got more money. Did you submit the scholarship application? I'm still trying to find the motivation, it's hard when I feel like I for sure won't get it but I think I need to at least put in the effort.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”