Held at Georgetown Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
clyde13

New

Re: Held at Georgetown

Post by clyde13 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:28 pm

I'm RD, held 11/30.

nordi

New

Post by nordi » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:23 pm

I was held 11/5, application was first processed 9/19, interviewed 10/16, status update 2/13 (could have been one on 2/12, I didn't check).

How's that for a long wait. I'm just hoping I don't get wait listed, not that I would prefer to be rejected, but man, I hate waiting. (Yeah, I recognize the absurdity of this sentence, as it boils down to: I want to be accepted!)

pmd49

New

Post by pmd49 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:44 pm

CMC88 wrote:
pmd49 wrote:RD. Held 12/5. Updated to Application Completed 2/13. This means decision's coming soon right? Any idea of e-mail or snail mail (haven't read through all posts and haven't looked extensively at regular GULC thread)?
Acceptances are via snail mail (very small envelope, I hear). Rejections and WLs are e-mailed.
So would it be wrong for me to think that having not received an email in two days since "Application Completed" might mean a decent shot at a snail mail acceptance? Trying not to get my hopes up.

maxiguess

Bronze

Post by maxiguess » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:11 pm

Updated again (3rd time this week)

:shock:

texas1990

New

Post by texas1990 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:22 pm

maxiguess wrote:Updated again (3rd time this week)

:shock:
same. there's no way we're not getting a decision by next week. it'd be ludicrous for them to continue dragging this out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nordi

New

Post by nordi » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:27 pm

Wait Listed.

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:28 pm

nordi wrote:Wait Listed.
Bummer, nordi. Via e-mail? :(

tonton

Bronze

Post by tonton » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:29 pm

So got the "Decision Rendered" email today. Preferred Waitlist. Held around the 10th of Jan.
Stared at the email title for about 10mins before I opened it. Just glad its not a ding

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:42 pm

tonton wrote:So got the "Decision Rendered" email today. Preferred Waitlist. Held around the 10th of Jan.
Stared at the email title for about 10mins before I opened it. Just glad its not a ding
same here, held in NOV

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

maxiguess

Bronze

Post by maxiguess » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:55 pm

Preferred WL 168/3.1
Kind of amazed with the low GPA.

ultrasajid

Bronze

Post by ultrasajid » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:27 am

Sorry guys, but no dings!

Did all you waitlisted folks get an email the day of your latest update?

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:30 am

Special Preferred WL..

Hope Gtown really treats me in a special way come May :wink:

rufus&miles

Bronze

Post by rufus&miles » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:44 am

Did everyone who got decisions yesterday have updates this week? I had two, but no decision... pretty nervous now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:59 am

rufus&miles wrote:Did everyone who got decisions yesterday have updates this week? I had two, but no decision... pretty nervous now.
I had three updates 2/12, 2/13, 2/15
so you may hear soon. Good luck!

ultrasajid

Bronze

Post by ultrasajid » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:01 am

rufus&miles wrote:Did everyone who got decisions yesterday have updates this week? I had two, but no decision... pretty nervous now.
Same boat here. Good luck!

lawschoolhopeful16

New

Post by lawschoolhopeful16 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:45 pm

I've been avidly following this and similar posts since fall. Applied to GTown (both full/part time) ED, deferred in November, had three status updates this past week, and received the dreaded regular wait list email. Not entirely surprised, but nonetheless dejected/frustrated.

As those of you who are in receipt of the email doubtless know, the message makes clear that wait list candidates aren't necessary rejected. But I don't find the language terribly encouraging, either. I have to wonder whether the regular wait list is tantamount to a de facto rejection. Few applicants on this list, after all, are ultimately accepted.

I just want to know what (if anything, for that matter), I can do to improve my chances of acceptance. I sent LOCIs, updated resumes, and even an 11 page legal writing sample in a bid to avoid getting rejected after the deferment; I suppose this tactic was partially successful, as I was placed on a wait list rather than rejected.

But now what? I'm somewhat tapped out, and my available options seem exhausted. I've considered flying to DC to meet with an admissions officer, but I can't imagine it would have much bearing on my application. I wonder how they internally decide who to remove from the wait list.

Ideas are appreciated, as is commiseration. Who else is in the same proverbial boat?

Homelandsagreatshow

Bronze

Post by Homelandsagreatshow » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:51 pm

^numbers?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nordi

New

Post by nordi » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:54 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:
nordi wrote:Wait Listed.
Bummer, nordi. Via e-mail? :(
Yeah, got an update at some point yesterday and then an e-mail asking me to indicate my level of interest and placing me in a 'special' group on the 'preferred' waiting list. It doesn't upset me that much, as I'm in at Michigan and Cornell. But I had started to think about the advantages of being in D.C. instead of Ann Arbor or Ithaca. I'm also in at UCLA with a scholarship, which makes things interesting. For a bunch of personal reasons, D.C. has become a better fit than it seemed to be when I applied. I interviewed an hour after I was accepted at Cornell, and my relief at being accepted to a T14 probably made me seem not especially interested in Georgetown. I was probably more candid than was advisable, and my preferences have shifted since then.

nordi

New

Post by nordi » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:56 pm

lawschoolhopeful16 wrote:I've been avidly following this and similar posts since fall. Applied to GTown (both full/part time) ED, deferred in November, had three status updates this past week, and received the dreaded regular wait list email. Not entirely surprised, but nonetheless dejected/frustrated.

As those of you who are in receipt of the email doubtless know, the message makes clear that wait list candidates aren't necessary rejected. But I don't find the language terribly encouraging, either. I have to wonder whether the regular wait list is tantamount to a de facto rejection. Few applicants on this list, after all, are ultimately accepted.

I just want to know what (if anything, for that matter), I can do to improve my chances of acceptance. I sent LOCIs, updated resumes, and even an 11 page legal writing sample in a bid to avoid getting rejected after the deferment; I suppose this tactic was partially successful, as I was placed on a wait list rather than rejected.

But now what? I'm somewhat tapped out, and my available options seem exhausted. I've considered flying to DC to meet with an admissions officer, but I can't imagine it would have much bearing on my application. I wonder how they internally decide who to remove from the wait list.

Ideas are appreciated, as is commiseration. Who else is in the same proverbial boat?
Easy Answer: June LSAT

Also, the legal writing sample might have been a bit over-the-top, assuming you don't have extensive experience working at a law firm. But, whatever, you're still in the game. Go post a 170 on the LSAT.

lawschoolhopeful16

New

Post by lawschoolhopeful16 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:05 pm

I already took the LSAT twice, and the second time after an extensive prep class. I spent three months exclusively and exhaustively studying for the LSAT, only to suffer a bout of panic on the last section. The LSAT simply isn't my cup of tea, and I bristle at the notion that the inane exercise called the LSAT holds such determinative power over the admissions outcome. It lacks any academic merit, overlooks already accrued knowledge/expertise, and rewards "test-whiz" types at the expense of those who are otherwise strong applicants.

Regardless, I'm not here to argue as to the LSAT.

To be more direct: I have considered taking the LSAT in June, but I don't think getting a 170 is likely for me. I want to be removed from the wait list in spite of my present score, hence I posted here. So advice apart from retake the LSAT would be helpful. I might retake, but at this point, I really don't know with certitude.

lawschoolhopeful16

New

Post by lawschoolhopeful16 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:12 pm

Sorry if that was harshly written...

My point is simply that I would prefer non-LSAT advice. That test really ruined my prospects (not so badly as to warrant rejection, obviously, but enough to cause this kind of frustration). No T14 for me, in all likelihood. I just wish the admissions process were more transparent, esp. w/regard to wait lists.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nordi

New

Post by nordi » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:02 pm

lawschoolhopeful16 wrote:Sorry if that was harshly written...

My point is simply that I would prefer non-LSAT advice. That test really ruined my prospects (not so badly as to warrant rejection, obviously, but enough to cause this kind of frustration). No T14 for me, in all likelihood. I just wish the admissions process were more transparent, esp. w/regard to wait lists.
Nah, the LSAT sucks, but it's also the easiest way to improve your chances. It tests what it tests, which is pretty much speed of low level reasoning. I dunno. I did say it was the easy answer. I don't have any brilliant insights in the wait list process, having landed on it myself and not yet succeeded in getting off it.

The whole thing is a numbers game. At or above median LSAT? At or above median GPA? Not white or Asian? Then it's about the dollars. I mean really, go look at any school's graph on LawSchoolNumbers. There's a concave cure for your numbers, and then there's a question about your race, and that pretty much the ball game unless you're an Olympic athlete or something.

The part-time program may be a little easier to work your way into. I don't know. Hopefully someone else can be more insightful.

Suggestions (unhelpful sarcasm, sorry i can't resist):
1. Got a spare couple hundred Gs around? Buy your way in.
2. Assuming you're white, go reverse Michael Jackson style.
3. Befriend some big donor.
4. Write a best selling book this Spring.
5. Break into their computer system and admit yourself.

I'm sure the wise thing to do is to continue to affirm your interest. Maybe someone you know has a connection to the law school and can write a brilliant recommendation letter or something. But as we've applied and been wait listed, I'm assuming that such options were either not existent or have already been exhausted.

I was offered a spot off a wait list two years ago when I applied my first time around (different school). I really didn't do anything extraordinary to push the issue with the law school. I sent them a hand written letter saying my cycle hadn't gone the was I had hoped; their school remained by top choice; I would appreciate any advise they could offer on how to improve my application; etc. And then I got a phone call in May asking if I was still interested. I was, but obviously decided against law school that year. One of the better choices I've made, or so I think.
Last edited by nordi on Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschoolhopeful16

New

Post by lawschoolhopeful16 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:19 pm

Haha. Slightly above the median from a strong undergrad institution. Slightly below 25th on LSAT--hence the reason I was place on the wait list. Remainder of the application is quite strong, IMHO. 2/3 LORs were from law professors who actually taught me as an undergrad.

However... I'll choose option #5!

Good luck to you as well :)

hopelessoptimist

New

Post by hopelessoptimist » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:24 pm

Quick question: I just got admitted to GW yesterday, and I haven't seen any movement on my status checker for GULC, so I was wondering if I should somehow notify GULC about my admittance to GW and reiterate that I would definitely go to GULC over GW if I had the choice (using much more diplomatic language, of course). Should I send a brief update to GULC or just wait out these last two weeks for a decision? I'm leaning against sending anything, but I'm not sure. Thoughts?

lawschoolhopeful16

New

Post by lawschoolhopeful16 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:28 pm

Hopelessoptimist:

Congrats about GW.

My own two cents: No. I would venture that many GTown admits, wait listed candidates, and rejects apply to GW and are admitted. I once read that GW=Georgetown Waitlist.

I don't think GTown would care, honestly. GTown is T14 whereas GW is not (though still an excellent institution). Status seems to be the name of the game w/law school admissions.

When did you apply/last hear from GTown?

Just my own thoughts, though....

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”