Rutgers Camden c/o 2016 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
2LT_CPG

Re: Rutgers Camden c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby 2LT_CPG » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:20 pm

I was going to go, but I have to work instead. Womp womp.

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:28 pm

2LT_CPG wrote:I was going to go, but I have to work instead. Womp womp.

Did you join my FB group?

Look back a few posts

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:52 am

Rise and shine, who will be at the ASD today?

Ill have dark jeans with a purple and white striped button down.

Lumieres

Postby Lumieres » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:29 pm

I enjoyed the event.

The black group's visit to the courthouse was way too long. Although, I felt that it was a good idea to have so many students and faculty members attend to be able to talk with all of the admitted students.

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:33 pm

Lumieres wrote:I enjoyed the event.

The black group's visit to the courthouse was way too long. Although, I felt that it was a good idea to have so many students and faculty members attend to be able to talk with all of the admitted students.

Did you join the FB group?

I thought the ASD went well - I especially enjoyed speaking with all the faculty, they seem very open and accessible.

The professors there also seem to have very strong pedigrees.

Jobsies

Postby Jobsies » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:27 pm

Thought it was a great day Saturday. I was waitlisted, told to come, and received my admittance when I arrived.

Anyone going to do Jump Start?

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:33 pm

Jobsies wrote:Thought it was a great day Saturday. I was waitlisted, told to come, and received my admittance when I arrived.

Anyone going to do Jump Start?

Congrats.

I would do Jump Start, but my job doesn't end in time.

So for those os us who couldn't go, can someone who did give a rundown on the whole day?

Lumieres

Postby Lumieres » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:22 pm

Registration
-- got some awesome swag bags. My favorites were the popcorn, tumbler and blanket.

Breakfast in the student center
-- pretty decent spread.

Small group sessions
-- choice between several options such as a current student panel and experiential learning.

Mock Class with all prospective students
-- discussed Richard Parker case with a prof from New Zealand. Pretty enjoyable and interesting.

Small group sessions
-- alumni panels mostly from different fields, depending on which interests you showed. I attended a corporate law and clerkship panel.

Federal courthouse visit
-- dean gave a message about the school, it's vision, merger with Newark (I thought he was very real and down to earth). Then a message from a congressman and judge.

Lunch at student center
-- best lunch I have seen at an ASD. Had catering staff available, lots of room, faculty at every table to talk to, current students everywhere, and decent food options.

Tours
-- I left after lunch, but there were tours scheduled.

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:31 pm

Lumieres wrote:Registration
-- got some awesome swag bags. My favorites were the popcorn, tumbler and blanket.

Breakfast in the student center
-- pretty decent spread.

Small group sessions
-- choice between several options such as a current student panel and experiential learning.

Mock Class with all prospective students
-- discussed Richard Parker case with a prof from New Zealand. Pretty enjoyable and interesting.

Small group sessions
-- alumni panels mostly from different fields, depending on which interests you showed. I attended a corporate law and clerkship panel.

Federal courthouse visit
-- dean gave a message about the school, it's vision, merger with Newark (I thought he was very real and down to earth). Then a message from a congressman and judge.

Lunch at student center
-- best lunch I have seen at an ASD. Had catering staff available, lots of room, faculty at every table to talk to, current students everywhere, and decent food options.

Tours
-- I left after lunch, but there were tours scheduled.

I will add that at lunch professors would constantly come up to you and introduce themselves. The faculty seems extremely accessible and they truly care about the students and the school.

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:05 am

Cool, I'm bummed I missed it but I couldn't not go to work that day. I did walk around the school last Sunday on my own though.

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:08 am

2LT_CPG wrote:Cool, I'm bummed I missed it but I couldn't not go to work that day. I did walk around the school last Sunday on my own though.

Are you in the FB group?

Have you found an apartment yet?

Would you be living alone or in search of a roommate?

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:46 am

dirtrida2 wrote:
2LT_CPG wrote:Cool, I'm bummed I missed it but I couldn't not go to work that day. I did walk around the school last Sunday on my own though.

Are you in the FB group?

Have you found an apartment yet?

Would you be living alone or in search of a roommate?

1. Yep, you can probably figure out who I am based on my initials.
2/3. Still looking, but narrowing the search. I'm going to live with a college/Army friend who goes to the med school in Stratford. We've more or less settled on Collingswood unless we can find an absolutely awesome place in Camden for under 1300 that'd let us park our cars - I'm pretty sure that nixes the Victor, so...

What about you? We can continue this in the PM I started.

BlueBerryBus

Postby BlueBerryBus » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:34 pm

Are there any part-timers still waiting for a decision?

csexton182

Postby csexton182 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:30 pm

admitted off Waitlist with $10,000 scholarship and in-state tuition provided I maintain a 3.0 gpa. Welp that makes this a tough decision.

Lumieres

Postby Lumieres » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:56 pm

csexton182 wrote:admitted off Waitlist with $10,000 scholarship and in-state tuition provided I maintain a 3.0 gpa. Welp that makes this a tough decision.

You were deciding between Drexel, right? Tough decision indeed.

csexton182

Postby csexton182 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:07 pm

Yep. It makes it a real tough decision. Anyone have a take on this?

phillyfun

Postby phillyfun » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:33 pm

csexton182 wrote:Yep. It makes it a real tough decision. Anyone have a take on this?

Whats your offer at Drexel?

csexton182

Postby csexton182 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:56 pm

got a good scholarship, but Rutgers-C would be cheaper either way. If save about $10,000 in tuition with scholarship retention. If I lose my scholarship (not that i plan to, but worst case scenario), I'll have wayyyyyyy less debt (almost 50 grand). the stipulations are the same. I havent been to a rutgers ASD, but from what you guys are saying it was good. Any input?

phillyfun

Postby phillyfun » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:16 pm

If Rutgers is better ranked and cheaper, I think you have your answer. And The people (deans, professors, students, alumni, etc) I have met at Rutgers are literally amazing. They are the thing that is making my decision the toughest, personally.

csexton182

Postby csexton182 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Well thank you your insight. How's the facility itself? I ask just because I know it's in camden, which kind of makes me wonder about it. Is it safe? Is it a nice building itself? Thanks guys for all your time and helpfulness.

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:15 pm

csexton182 wrote:Well thank you your insight. How's the facility itself? I ask just because I know it's in camden, which kind of makes me wonder about it. Is it safe? Is it a nice building itself? Thanks guys for all your time and helpfulness.

The law school building is brand new. The gym is brand new. The campus is nice and has a "college" vibe. Don't worry about camden, you won't even know you're in camden when you are there. You should really visit. I had the same worries, but after I took a tour of the school I felt very comfortable.

I also recommend joining the FB group I created.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RutgersLawCamden2016

phillyfun

Postby phillyfun » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:17 pm

I felt comfortable there. I am a girl and considering the night program, so my husband was freaked out understandably about Camden. But after seeing the place he has calmed, haha. The facilities were built in 2008 so very nice and new. And it has more police than Fort Knox
;-)

librarian21

Postby librarian21 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:58 pm

Hey all, I'm a current Rutgers-Camden student finishing the hell that is 1L year (so close!). I currently live in The Victor and have friends that live in Cooper and various places in Collingswood and Philly. I know some of you might be starting the housing search soon, so if anyone needs details on anything please feel free to ask. Obviously I know the most about The Victor, which has been great so far and my boyfriend and I are probably going to renew our lease for next year too. Please PM me if you want more info re our rent, pros/cons about the building, anything else about 1L year. If you are interested in living at The Victor and you mention my name during your visit and/or lease signing I'll get a referral bonus, and in return I'll pass along outlines for any profs you have that I had and will buy you a few welcome to Camden beers! :D

BlueBerryBus

Postby BlueBerryBus » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:48 pm

csexton182 wrote:admitted off Waitlist with $10,000 scholarship and in-state tuition provided I maintain a 3.0 gpa. Welp that makes this a tough decision.

I was raised in Camden and lived in the Rutgers area for a lot of my childhood (Penn St and Cooper St). Rutgers is in its own little bubble. The violence of the city does not spill onto campus. Also, there is a huge police presence on campus. You'll be fine. Now, if you are looking to go out and have fun, I would definitely recommend hopping on Patco and going over to Philly.

That said, I did my undergrad in Philly and having been working in Philly law firms since 2005, both small firms and big law. If I had to choose between Rutgers and Drexel, I would probably go with Rutgers simply because of the presence of Rutgers alum in the Philladelphia law community. There is a network of working attorneys that graduated from Rutgers in Philadelphia, from associates to partners.

bdans89

Postby bdans89 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:25 pm

Just wondering, did your waitlist email originally say they wouldn't begin ranking the waitlist until August? That's what mine said so I figured they wouldn't be admitting any/many until at least the summer. I was waitlisted on 3/14 and am wondering if I should step up my campaign.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”