Rutgers Camden c/o 2016 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Gold

Re: Rutgers Camden c/o 2016 Applicants

Post by 20130312 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:41 pm

highlander1 wrote:Rising 2L taking questions

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=205724
You're a 1L until you finish your first year. HTH.

Davidbentley

Bronze

Post by Davidbentley » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:44 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:

LOL.

highlander1

New

Post by highlander1 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:53 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:

I don't think it really matters? Point being, 1L year is almost over. Went through pretty much all the Rutgers/ Bar association events. Secured a decent summer job.
If any prospective students had questions about the school (at least the first year experience), I would be in a good position to answer them.
Granted that I did not go through the journal write-ons/ hunter tryouts yet.
Last edited by highlander1 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:55 pm

Just a weird thing to be disingenuous about, bro.

mfernico

New

Post by mfernico » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:40 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
(b) The mean grade point average in courses with 10 to 30 students shall be between a 3.10 and 3.40. This shall include adjustments for class participation.

(f) Courses with fewer than 10 students, clinics, and courses in which intensive writing credit or skills credit is mandatory are exempt from this rule.

30 seems like an arbitrarCy cut-off, regardless 35 students is still a "small class" and that provision wouldn't apply. What's also interesting is what happens if R-N and R-C do merge, as R-N does not have that policy. Every student, regardless of 2 in a class are measured on a 3.0 scale. I wouldn't want 1L grades on a 3.4 scale to be with me next year, as that artificially pollutes my order of the coif chances.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

2LT_CPG

Bronze

Post by 2LT_CPG » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:02 am

Camden was profiled on Rock Center last week:http://inplainsight.nbcnews.com/_news/2 ... enter&lite

Snowboarder1588

Bronze

Post by Snowboarder1588 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:45 pm

so, would you guys say it's a complete waste of time for a WLsted person to go to an ASD event?

highlander1

New

Post by highlander1 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:34 am

Snowboarder1588 wrote:so, would you guys say it's a complete waste of time for a WLsted person to go to an ASD event?
It depends on the circumstances. If it's incredibly burdensome for you to come to ASD, I would say opt out. However, I know several students this year who got off the wait-list and received acceptances later on. So, it may help you to maybe talk to some of the deans, get to know the school's program, and etc. So, I would encourage you to attend if you can.

Snowboarder1588

Bronze

Post by Snowboarder1588 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:59 am

highlander1 wrote:
Snowboarder1588 wrote:so, would you guys say it's a complete waste of time for a WLsted person to go to an ASD event?
It depends on the circumstances. If it's incredibly burdensome for you to come to ASD, I would say opt out. However, I know several students this year who got off the wait-list and received acceptances later on. So, it may help you to maybe talk to some of the deans, get to know the school's program, and etc. So, I would encourage you to attend if you can.
Thank you for the advise. I will try to come, since I live in the Philly area. Nice to know that they have accepted some people off the waiting list, because the waitlist email I received said they wont know who can get in until August...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

highlander1

New

Post by highlander1 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:04 pm

Snowboarder1588 wrote:
highlander1 wrote:
Thank you for the advise. I will try to come, since I live in the Philly area. Nice to know that they have accepted some people off the waiting list, because the waitlist email I received said they wont know who can get in until August...
Again, I would encourage you to meet some of the deans (including the ones that are in charge of the admissions office). Then send them follow up emails and see where that can take you.

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:20 pm

With their recent change in stipulation, I plan to take a visit to Camden.

I received a full ride and I don't think maintaining top 60% is all that bad. If I'm below median, you can sure as hell bet that I seriously contemplate dropping out.

http://camlaw.rutgers.edu/deans-highest ... cholarship

My undergrad GPA (3.66) warrants the new 60% rule.

Lumieres

Bronze

Post by Lumieres » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:41 am

dirtrida2 wrote:With their recent change in stipulation, I plan to take a visit to Camden.

I received a full ride and I don't think maintaining top 60% is all that bad. If I'm below median, you can sure as hell bet that I seriously contemplate dropping out.

I don't understand why people say they're going to drop out if they lose their scholarship...

What are you going to do then? Try to find a new career path and put 1-2 years of law school to waste? Although employment prospects are grim for fresh JDs, you won't really do much better without it.

ScarletKnight

New

Post by ScarletKnight » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:49 am

Lumieres wrote:
dirtrida2 wrote:With their recent change in stipulation, I plan to take a visit to Camden.

I don't understand why people say they're going to drop out if they lose their scholarship...

What are you going to do then? Try to find a new career path and put 1-2 years of law school to waste? Although employment prospects are grim for fresh JDs, you won't really do much better without it.
Sounds like a ugly dude who's hot girlfriend just banged his best friend.

"Oh you did my best friend? It's OK I can't do better than you"

There's a lot you can do other than go to law school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Davidbentley

Bronze

Post by Davidbentley » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:51 am

Lumieres wrote:

People drop out if they lose their scholarships because:

1.) Generally, if you are below the stipulation cut off, then your chances of being employed in a JD job at a reasonable salary are approximately 0%. Continuing for the remaining two years would add approximately $100k to your debt load for no reason.

2.) If you quit without much debt, you still have a BA/BS and can embark on a new career path without a single family home's worth of loan payments to worry about.

3.) Why would you want to throw money down a drain?

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:31 am

Davidbentley wrote:
Lumieres wrote:

1.) Generally, if you are below the stipulation cut off, then your chances of being employed in a JD job at a reasonable salary are approximately 0%. Continuing for the remaining two years would add approximately $100k to your debt load for no reason.

2.) If you quit without much debt, you still have a BA/BS and can embark on a new career path without a single family home's worth of loan payments to worry about.

Exactly. If I lost my scholarship after 1L year I would seriously consider it; Rutgers is not worth the tuition cost.

--

On a side note, I was awarded a $1,000 NJ state grant (ie: free money, which is nice - didn't think I would get anything). I assume this is because it's a state school and they are trying to keep residents in NJ?

Secondly, is it advisable to do any sort of work-study? In my opinion, the few thousand you would be making would in no way compensate for any potential stress or drop in GPA?

--

If I am only to cover my books and COL - Would it be smart to try and pay off as much in cash as possible or just take out the loans for what's needed regardless. I assume loans so that I still have some decent cash flow in case my car breaks down, etc...?

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:01 pm

Anyone here seen or have pictures of the 330 Cooper Graduate Apartments?

The only documentation on their site is a 3D rendered virtual tour. I can't seem to find any actual pictures of the interior.

Thanks.

ScarletKnight

New

Post by ScarletKnight » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:05 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:
Davidbentley wrote:
Lumieres wrote:

Exactly. If I lost my scholarship after 1L year I would seriously consider it; Rutgers is not worth the tuition cost.

--

On a side note, I was awarded a $1,000 NJ state grant (ie: free money, which is nice - didn't think I would get anything). I assume this is because it's a state school and they are trying to keep residents in NJ?

Secondly, is it advisable to do any sort of work-study? In my opinion, the few thousand you would be making would in no way compensate for any potential stress or drop in GPA?

--

If I am only to cover my books and COL - Would it be smart to try and pay off as much in cash as possible or just take out the loans for what's needed regardless. I assume loans so that I still have some decent cash flow in case my car breaks down, etc...?
I did work study but only because I got a cushy "clerkship" with a professor. Looked good on the resume for about 5 hours of work a week. Also its a handy reference when you apply for summer jobs.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:13 pm

I did work study but only because I got a cushy "clerkship" with a professor. Looked good on the resume for about 5 hours of work a week. Also its a handy reference when you apply for summer jobs.

You did this as a 1L?

Also, do you live in 330 Cooper by any chance?

ScarletKnight

New

Post by ScarletKnight » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:53 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:

You did this as a 1L?

Also, do you live in 330 Cooper by any chance?
Yes, I'm a 1L

No, I go to Newark (but hey we're all Rutgers Law in 2014 right?)
-Assuming Rutgers-C is similar to Rutgers-N, with regards to work study, you'll get an email that you've been accepted for work study followed by an email in August of the list of jobs available. There were most crap (i wouldn't waste my time) library or school store positions, but there were also some research positions "clerkships" and "research assistants" that you apply and "interview" for. I quote interview as I went in said my name, he asked if I liked the Giants, I said no I'm sadly a Jets fan, he said me too I know how you feel, and I was hired.

Always be candid.

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:49 pm

Feel free to join our FB group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RutgersLawCamden2016/

Also post up in the class of thread if you're considering attending:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=203440

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:42 am

Looks like the school took a step in the right direction:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=rutgers-camden

Also, don't forget to join the FB group:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/RutgersLawCamden2016

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Snowboarder1588

Bronze

Post by Snowboarder1588 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:23 pm

Who's going to the ASD on Saturday? How will you all be dresses? I'm guessing business casual is ok?

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:34 pm

Snowboarder1588 wrote:Who's going to the ASD on Saturday? How will you all be dresses? I'm guessing business casual is ok?
Ill be there in dark jeans and a button up shirt; ie my club attire? :D

Look up a post and join the FB group I created. It will also make it easier for the TLS crew to meet up.

Lumieres

Bronze

Post by Lumieres » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:06 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:
Snowboarder1588 wrote:Who's going to the ASD on Saturday? How will you all be dresses? I'm guessing business casual is ok?

Look up a post and join the FB group I created. It will also make it easier for the TLS crew to meet up.
Hope you're ready for some Richard Parker analysis!

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:12 am

Lumieres wrote:
dirtrida2 wrote:

Hope you're ready for some Richard Parker analysis!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”