Arizona c/o 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Stormageddon

New

Re: Arizona c/o 2016

Post by Stormageddon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:41 pm

Happy seat deposit day! I just pulled the trigger... I'm going to Arizona :D

beardown_tho

New

Post by beardown_tho » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:43 pm

mewalke1 wrote:Except when anything happens on the I-10. A small accident can make a 1 1/2 trip a 3-4 hour trip. My brother just moved there and he was coming up for something and there was a hazard spill it took them 7 HOURS! They couldn't turn around etc etc. Thats the worst thing about that trip.
While that's certainly possible, I've driven Phoenix-Tucson....200 times maybe? And it has never 3-4 hours for me, ever. It can happen if there's a FATAL accident, but a "small" accident doesn't make it 3-4 hours.

mewalke1

Bronze

Post by mewalke1 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:54 am

tow13 wrote:Anyone know if I could commute from Phoenix?

If I get in I am also thinking about commuting. It would be 3 hours in the car but I have a place to live for free now and it might make sense depending on what I can find down there house wise.

mewalke1

Bronze

Post by mewalke1 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:55 am

Stormageddon wrote:Happy seat deposit day! I just pulled the trigger... I'm going to Arizona :D
Awesome congrats

tow13

New

Post by tow13 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:20 pm

mewalke1 wrote:

If I get in I am also thinking about commuting. It would be 3 hours in the car but I have a place to live for free now and it might make sense depending on what I can find down there house wise.

I'm in the same situation and would honestly rather go to ASU but at this point I'm certain they'll give me a decision by May....2017. Living where I'm at now is free and all my stuff is here so I'd rather suffer the drive / single-handedly fund OPEC than move to Tuscon.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bandenjamin

Bronze

Post by bandenjamin » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:48 pm

Made deposit. Pretty excited for Some sun

mewalke1

Bronze

Post by mewalke1 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:50 pm

tow13 wrote:
mewalke1 wrote:

I'm in the same situation and would honestly rather go to ASU but at this point I'm certain they'll give me a decision by May....2017. Living where I'm at now is free and all my stuff is here so I'd rather suffer the drive / single-handedly fund OPEC than move to Tuscon.

have you been accepted yet?

tow13

New

Post by tow13 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:56 pm

Yeah, accepted in early March with tuition locked at 15K.

mewalke1

Bronze

Post by mewalke1 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:17 pm

tow13 wrote:Yeah, accepted in early March with tuition locked at 15K.
Awesome hey I private messaged you

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vrmsoccer

New

Post by vrmsoccer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:12 am

ironbmike wrote:
vrmsoccer wrote:Accepted in January. Also received a full ride there. I also recently visited this past week. Tucson is a nice little town and the faculty at U of A were super nice.
Where are you from? Are you looking to work in AZ?
From California, and I'm not opposed to working in Arizona. Either there or California.

elcee1987

New

Post by elcee1987 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:59 pm

lever1je wrote:
ColomboHeat wrote:Arizona 2L here… let me know if you guys have any specific questions about the campus or the city of Tucson as you are making your final decisions.

For reference, I earned my B.A. from ASU. I lived and worked in Phoenix prior to moving to Tucson for law school. By now, I've got a decent handle on the difference between the two cities (and schools).
Perfect, this is what I needed. Where can I live in town that won't result in me getting eaten alive by cockroaches or killed? Every place on find online always makes it sound like the shadiest spot in town. I'm all the way in Michigan and probably won't be in town until orientation so I'm trying to find all of the information I can
I would like to know this as well. How bad ARE the cockroaches? I'm from the Northwest, we don't have them here..

keviiiiiiiiiiiin

New

Post by keviiiiiiiiiiiin » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:58 am

elcee1987 wrote:
lever1je wrote:
ColomboHeat wrote:Arizona 2L here… let me know if you guys have any specific questions about the campus or the city of Tucson as you are making your final decisions.

For reference, I earned my B.A. from ASU. I lived and worked in Phoenix prior to moving to Tucson for law school. By now, I've got a decent handle on the difference between the two cities (and schools).
Perfect, this is what I needed. Where can I live in town that won't result in me getting eaten alive by cockroaches or killed? Every place on find online always makes it sound like the shadiest spot in town. I'm all the way in Michigan and probably won't be in town until orientation so I'm trying to find all of the information I can
I would like to know this as well. How bad ARE the cockroaches? I'm from the Northwest, we don't have them here..
I realize this may sound like a joke to people OOS, but the cockroaches aren't that bad. It's the scorpions that get you.

tow13

New

Post by tow13 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:14 pm

Not sure how Tuscon is but I'm originally out of state and lived in Scottsdale 3 years now. As far as pests:

We had cockroaches once because of a neighbor who was promptly evicted...got an exterminator and haven't seen the roaches since. The biggest problem is the bark scorpions (and the others but barks hurt the worst and are a lovely shade of carpet). Last summer I believe we had maybe 7 or so in the house. I've been stung a total of six times in 3 years but I know people in their 40s who are life-long residents and have never been stung. My advice get a UV flashlight and be careful around trees. Also avoid houses / apartments with plants, especially trees, touching the buildings.

Hope that..um..helps.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Greatest,Ever

New

Post by Greatest,Ever » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:31 pm

Current law student at UA. So, before I came here, I had thought that there would be scorpions, tarantulas, and rattlesnakes everywhere. I have seen 1 dead scorpion in my time here.

But this thread is getting off topic. I'm studying for finals now, so would love to procrastinate by answering any non-wildlife related questions (unless you're asking about javelinas).

keviiiiiiiiiiiin

New

Post by keviiiiiiiiiiiin » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:35 pm

Greatest,Ever wrote:Current law student at UA. So, before I came here, I had thought that there would be scorpions, tarantulas, and rattlesnakes everywhere. I have seen 1 dead scorpion in my time here.

But this thread is getting off topic. I'm studying for finals now, so would love to procrastinate by answering any non-wildlife related questions (unless you're asking about javelinas).
Why did you choose UA and, if applicable, why did you choose it over ASU?

Greatest,Ever

New

Post by Greatest,Ever » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:49 pm

keviiiiiiiiiiiin wrote:
Greatest,Ever wrote:Current law student at UA. So, before I came here, I had thought that there would be scorpions, tarantulas, and rattlesnakes everywhere. I have seen 1 dead scorpion in my time here.

Why did you choose UA and, if applicable, why did you choose it over ASU?
I didn't apply to ASU. I was living in CA before coming out here and wasn't sure where I wanted to be for school, so I applied to a ton of schools all over the country. I got in off the wait-list and came to visit, loved what I saw here and immediately put a deposit down [the decision was between UA (less-than half scholly) and Case Western (almost full-ride)]. I found (and still find) UA to be a laid back environment that definitely manages to pull their own and get their students into jobs. I'm not a huge fan of the desert, but most of my time is spent in the library anyways.

lever1je

New

Post by lever1je » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:22 pm

Do you have a summer job lined up? How is the social life? What was orientation like? Big things you like and dislike so far? I got tons of questions that I'm dying to get answers for

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Greatest,Ever

New

Post by Greatest,Ever » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:53 pm

lever1je wrote:Do you have a summer job lined up?
Yeah, I'll be working at Southern Arizona Legal Aid (just outed myself if any of my peers are lurking on here). It starts a week after finals and will basically last until next semester starts. I'm looking forward to it, should be a pretty hands-on experience. I got the job a few weeks ago and that's a HUGE weight off my shoulders.
lever1je wrote:How is the social life?
It's fun, in a nut shell. A couple weeks ago there was bar golf on 4th avenue, which entailed going from bar to bar with a score sheet and specific drink listed for each bar. In the fall we tail gate for all of the football games. We also had a beer olympics last semester, which was pretty awesome. Aside from all of that, people go out pretty regularly Thursday-Saturday, with the frequency decreasing as finals approach. Also, I thought this was pretty cool, we've had several parties at profs' houses.
lever1je wrote:What was orientation like?
Orientation was three days the week before classes started and was everybody in the class being introduced to various aspects of the school. I don't wanna ruin the surprise (plus, I don't remember)! I do remember there was free lunch every day.
lever1je wrote:Big things you like and dislike so far?
Likes: The small class size, the weather, professors (for the most part) are pretty legit, AZ's legal economy and the odds of finding a job here (vs. elsewhere), cost of living, free lunch every day (if you sit through a presentation)
Dislikes: All of the negatives about law school generally (UA is pleasant, but the work still kicks my ass), we're split completely in half and rarely see people from the other half (I can explain this more, if you're interested)
lever1je wrote: I got tons of questions that I'm dying to get answers for.
I've got tons of time to procrastinate, so it's all good.

lever1je

New

Post by lever1je » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:00 pm

Greatest,Ever wrote:
lever1je wrote:Do you have a summer job lined up?
Yeah, I'll be working at Southern Arizona Legal Aid (just outed myself if any of my peers are lurking on here). It starts a week after finals and will basically last until next semester starts. I'm looking forward to it, should be a pretty hands-on experience. I got the job a few weeks ago and that's a HUGE weight off my shoulders.
lever1je wrote:How is the social life?
It's fun, in a nut shell. A couple weeks ago there was bar golf on 4th avenue, which entailed going from bar to bar with a score sheet and specific drink listed for each bar. In the fall we tail gate for all of the football games. We also had a beer olympics last semester, which was pretty awesome. Aside from all of that, people go out pretty regularly Thursday-Saturday, with the frequency decreasing as finals approach. Also, I thought this was pretty cool, we've had several parties at profs' houses.
lever1je wrote:What was orientation like?
Orientation was three days the week before classes started and was everybody in the class being introduced to various aspects of the school. I don't wanna ruin the surprise (plus, I don't remember)! I do remember there was free lunch every day.
lever1je wrote:Big things you like and dislike so far?
Likes: The small class size, the weather, professors (for the most part) are pretty legit, AZ's legal economy and the odds of finding a job here (vs. elsewhere), cost of living, free lunch every day (if you sit through a presentation)
Dislikes: All of the negatives about law school generally (UA is pleasant, but the work still kicks my ass), we're split completely in half and rarely see people from the other half (I can explain this more, if you're interested)
lever1je wrote: I got tons of questions that I'm dying to get answers for.
I've got tons of time to procrastinate, so it's all good.
Hyped to hear you guys had a beer golf pub crawl down there. Also a 4-time beer olympics athlete in my undergrad so I'm ready for the games to continue down there. Very interested to hear more about that splitting in half... do they segregate the sections into different halves of the school? Have you had any bad professors yourself that made you throw in the "for the most part" portion or is that from things you've heard from other people? Have you spotted any key differences between the people who are doing well in law school and the people who are not?

lever1je

New

Post by lever1je » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:04 pm

Also, the parties at professors houses... I'm assuming that these are tamer parties than the norm? When you guys go out, how do you usually get back home... My undergrad had tons of $3 taxi vans that were always outside the bars but I've seen some schools have free shuttles or things like that, is that the case at AZ?

Greatest,Ever

New

Post by Greatest,Ever » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:32 am

lever1je wrote: Hyped to hear you guys had a beer golf pub crawl down there. Also a 4-time beer olympics athlete in my undergrad so I'm ready for the games to continue down there. Very interested to hear more about that splitting in half... do they segregate the sections into different halves of the school?
So, basically, my class of ~120 was split into 4 small sections that met for 1 class first semester. From those small sections, they were further split in half for our research and writing classes. For another class, Contracts for me, it was my section and one other. This semester, I have every class with the same people I was with in Contracts. Aside for the elective, which we got to pick from Federal Income Tax, Immigration Law, and Regulation (I'm in Fed Tax). Aside from the elective, I don't have any classes with the 2 other small sections.
lever1je wrote: Have you had any bad professors yourself that made you throw in the "for the most part" portion or is that from things you've heard from other people?
I'll stick to what I went with originally and you may hear otherwise in the future (I'm traditional).
lever1je wrote: Have you spotted any key differences between the people who are doing well in law school and the people who are not?
Grades are confidential, so I don't have a clue how anybody did last semester. You definitely have a sense of who did all right, based on where they're ending up this summer (firms, federal courts, etc.). We get ranked at the end of this semester, so I don't even know where I stand amongst my peers.
lever1je wrote: Also, the parties at professors houses... I'm assuming that these are tamer parties than the norm?
These are not black tie affairs, by any means, but you're also not playing beer pong with your prof's. It gives you an opportunity to get to know your professor outside of class. I've enjoyed these events the few times we've had them.
lever1je wrote: When you guys go out, how do you usually get back home... My undergrad had tons of $3 taxi vans that were always outside the bars but I've seen some schools have free shuttles or things like that, is that the case at AZ?
I live pretty far out of the central area, so I always take it easy when I go out and soberly drive myself back home. I'm gonna try to move closer to campus/4th ave next year, so everything is more convenient for me. From what I've seen, other people either walk home or cab it home. Also, they're gonna be finishing the streetcar soon, so that'll be a convenient way to get around the central area.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

buddyt

Silver

Post by buddyt » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:52 pm

Just withdrew my full ride. Hopefully someone's merit aid can be increased now!

elcee1987

New

Post by elcee1987 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:15 pm

Just got a half-tuition scholarship, so I'll be going to UA, paying my seat deposit this week.

I know it's "off topic," but I'm seriously concerned about cockroaches and scorpions. Does anyone have recommendations of apartment buildings or anything? Should I only consider upper-level apartments? Advice? I get panic attacks over spiders, so the idea of *new* bugs was almost enough to send me to another school.

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:49 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ColomboHeat

New

Post by ColomboHeat » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:13 pm

lever1je wrote:

I am glad to see there is another Wildcat on here who stopped by to answer questions, because I totally forgot about this thread. The least shady spots in town tend to be towards the North & West side(s) of Tucson. I suggest looking for places along River Rd.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”