Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
duncanmn95

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby duncanmn95 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:28 pm

pwnyc127 wrote:
nedzilla wrote:to those who got increased scholarships, was there anything in particular you did to get BLS to increase?
When I inquired months ago about negotiating, they replied saying they did not negotiate with other schools offers. I already have a sizable scholarship, but it is the only school I have not been able to negotiate with thus far.

I decided to withdraw and go to Dozo instead so I sent BLS an e-mail saying I won't be attending and they called me back a few hours later with a full ride. They won't increase unless they need your numbers and you would withdraw otherwise. That being said, BLS for free seems like a better deal than Dozo for 17K so see you people there in the Fall!

So like I realize that maybe the most common effective means of negotiation is to threaten to withdraw, but I believe that it's not necessary to threaten withdrawal. I was fairly successful in asking for an increase in my scholarship by being honest and upfront; I told them that I'm going to BLS irrespective of any increase, but I'd really appreciate an increase (my email to them was a bit more detailed, but what I just said is the basic gist of it). However, if you honestly would not attend w/out an increase in your scholarship, then I suppose it's good to let them know :) ...that simply wasn't the case for me though. I think it's possible that they want to recruit people w/ the numbers they need, but they also want to make those who are already committed happy :D

patienunderstanding

Postby patienunderstanding » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:41 pm

I'm joining you as well! :D Got an increase and decided to attend :)

duncanmn95

Postby duncanmn95 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:47 pm

patienunderstanding wrote:I'm joining you as well! :D Got an increase and decided to attend :)

CIK! :D I'll c u n da fall!!!

sergiokun16

Postby sergiokun16 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:43 pm

duncanmn95 wrote:
pwnyc127 wrote:
nedzilla wrote:to those who got increased scholarships, was there anything in particular you did to get BLS to increase?
When I inquired months ago about negotiating, they replied saying they did not negotiate with other schools offers. I already have a sizable scholarship, but it is the only school I have not been able to negotiate with thus far.

I decided to withdraw and go to Dozo instead so I sent BLS an e-mail saying I won't be attending and they called me back a few hours later with a full ride. They won't increase unless they need your numbers and you would withdraw otherwise. That being said, BLS for free seems like a better deal than Dozo for 17K so see you people there in the Fall!

So like I realize that maybe the most common effective means of negotiation is to threaten to withdraw, but I believe that it's not necessary to threaten withdrawal. I was fairly successful in asking for an increase in my scholarship by being honest and upfront; I told them that I'm going to BLS irrespective of any increase, but I'd really appreciate an increase (my email to them was a bit more detailed, but what I just said is the basic gist of it). However, if you honestly would not attend w/out an increase in your scholarship, then I suppose it's good to let them know :) ...that simply wasn't the case for me though. I think it's possible that they want to recruit people w/ the numbers they need, but they also want to make those who are already committed happy :D

I had a similar experiences...started with a 30,000/yr. scholly, emailed the same basic thing that you did, and receieved 5,000 more/yr. :D

duncanmn95

Postby duncanmn95 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:15 pm

sergiokun16 wrote:
duncanmn95 wrote:
pwnyc127 wrote:

I had a similar experiences...started with a 30,000/yr. scholly, emailed the same basic thing that you did, and receieved 5,000 more/yr. :D

F*ck ya dude! I think it's way cik that BLS is down to reward people who are actually committed to the school. It actually gives me hope that you don't always have to be hostile and intimidating to get what you want in the legal world.. :D

ffoxes

Postby ffoxes » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:41 pm

Withdrawing today with $20K. Hope you all get it!

duncanmn95

Postby duncanmn95 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:32 pm

Is anyone still looking for a place and a roommate? I think on-campus housing is pretty much not possible/likely at this point (I heard this from multiple people who probs know what they're talking about).

ArizonaSecrets

Postby ArizonaSecrets » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:04 pm

duncanmn95 wrote:Is anyone still looking for a place and a roommate? I think on-campus housing is pretty much not possible/likely at this point (I heard this from multiple people who probs know what they're talking about).

I'm on the "waiting list" but now that it is July I'm thinking it's time to start looking for a place.

mawata

Postby mawata » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:58 pm

I'm looking for a place too, still on the housing waitlist but I agree it might not be likely.

ArizonaSecrets

Postby ArizonaSecrets » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:19 pm

I just got offered wait list housing. I requested a single/studio but got put in a 4 person. I need to let them know tomorrow. I'm thinking of taking it.

Just letting everyone know there is some movement on the housing wait list.

mawata

Postby mawata » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:53 pm

This might be a random question, but is anyone planning on studying abroad? I'm wondering when the best time to do it is. Clearly not first year, but would 2L be reasonable? or do most people do it their final year?

michaelbluth

Postby michaelbluth » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:50 am

mawata wrote:This might be a random question, but is anyone planning on studying abroad? I'm wondering when the best time to do it is. Clearly not first year, but would 2L be reasonable? or do most people do it their final year?

Rising BLS 2L here.

If you're competitive for OCI (read: tech background and ~top 25% or no tech and top 10%), 2L Fall would be the worst time to do it because you'll want that semester to interview and such. Beyond that...

Some programs are only available during one semester, and you can't study abroad in your 3L spring. If you've got BLSConnect access and all the tabs have shown up, look at "International Opportunities" under the "Intellectual Life" tab to see what's available when and contact info for the various program coordinators. (I'm sure they'll be better able to answer this than I am.)

Anecdotally, a lot of people in my section did the Bologna summer program after 1L and all of them seemed really glad that they did.

I know a few people (both 2013 grads) who did semesters abroad, and it seems like when they did it was a matter of personal preference, when the program they wanted was offered, finances, and the effect it would have on GPA/ranking. (Study abroad doesn't count towards your GPA, so on the one hand it's a way to preserve a high GPA but on the other it may cause your ranking to go down as similarly ranked students do well and you stay stagnant.)

pwnyc127

Postby pwnyc127 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:29 pm

Have you guys gotten the required book list yet?

duncanmn95

Postby duncanmn95 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:59 pm

Does the school offer any software? Like, do I need to buy notetaking programs, MS Word or w/e, Windows Professional, etc., or does the school offer these through them for free/lower cost? I'm buying a new computer for the fall, and I order it w/ the least amount of stuff possible :o

Vpassarelli

Postby Vpassarelli » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:40 am

duncanmn95 wrote:Does the school offer any software? Like, do I need to buy notetaking programs, MS Word or w/e, Windows Professional, etc., or does the school offer these through them for free/lower cost? I'm buying a new computer for the fall, and I order it w/ the least amount of stuff possible :o

I looked at the website and I believe they install MS Office on your computer for free. Mac or PC. As far as the other programs go, they weren't mentioned.

well.let's.see

Postby well.let's.see » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:39 am

pwnyc127 wrote:Have you guys gotten the required book list yet?

Required books? When do we get out schedules?

Crease

Postby Crease » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:54 pm

Students who are admitted and have submitted their desposits/loan requests should receive an email this week regarding the Intro to the Study of Law coursework that is due during Orientation week. The email includes the follow blurb at the end:

Your Group designation, and the names of your Faculty and Student Advisors (and their contact information) will be e-mailed to you next week. Class schedules, your first-class reading assignments and lists of required books, as well as the broader Orientation Events Calendar, will be accessible soon thereafter on BLSConnect.

Schedules and book lists within 1-2 weeks.

BrooklynLaw16

Postby BrooklynLaw16 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:14 pm

Intro to the study of law book has been sent out. Let the rat race begin :twisted:

ArizonaSecrets

Postby ArizonaSecrets » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:06 pm

BrooklynLaw16 wrote:Intro to the study of law book has been sent out. Let the rat race begin :twisted:

really man?

patienunderstanding

Postby patienunderstanding » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:20 pm

Anyone planning on telling them they don't want to be in the evening section?

ArizonaSecrets

Postby ArizonaSecrets » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:36 pm

patienunderstanding wrote:Anyone planning on telling them they don't want to be in the evening section?

It doesn't make a difference to me. Hopefully it isn't a Thursday night class but to be perfectly honest, I think it's a cool idea they're trying out. So I won't be objecting to it.

Anyone else think it's a terrible idea to require students to read a 200 page Intro to Law packet and only make it available as a pdf? Honestly, I feel as though we should've had the option to have a paper copy mailed to us. I'm all for going green but this doesn't encourage taking the assignment seriously.

Crease

Postby Crease » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:40 pm

ArizonaSecrets wrote:
patienunderstanding wrote:Anyone planning on telling them they don't want to be in the evening section?

It doesn't make a difference to me. Hopefully it isn't a Thursday night class but to be perfectly honest, I think it's a cool idea they're trying out. So I won't be objecting to it.

Anyone else think it's a terrible idea to require students to read a 200 page Intro to Law packet and only make it available as a pdf? Honestly, I feel as though we should've had the option to have a paper copy mailed to us. I'm all for going green but this doesn't encourage taking the assignment seriously.

I tried electronic for a couple of days but ended up printing it out at my company's office. I feel for those who don't have access to a printer that can handle the job.

digitalmedia

Postby digitalmedia » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:42 pm

Can someone upload the required PDF reading if it's not too much trouble?

BrooklynLaw16

Postby BrooklynLaw16 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:01 pm

ArizonaSecrets wrote:
BrooklynLaw16 wrote:Intro to the study of law book has been sent out. Let the rat race begin :twisted:

really man?

I've always wanted to say that :lol:

BrooklynLaw16

Postby BrooklynLaw16 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:08 pm

What are you guys wearing to convocation on Aug 13th? Formal, business casual, casual, pajamas, ect...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”