Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jack5on

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby jack5on » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:56 pm

well.let's.see wrote:But to everyone else, I am seriously doing last minutes research...need any and all reasons to attend BLS and not be too worried about attending a 3rd level school in NYC--(1st=NYU/Columbia ; 2nd=Fordham ; 3rd=Dozo/BLS ; 4th, 5th, etc. etc.), and it is really nowhere close to 2nd level, let us not even discuss 1st--where every T10 also sends kids in troves. I would only have to come up with cost of living, but I want to get a job after. Anyone know it's actual professional reputation? How loyal are the alumni, honestly? Reasonable to go and aspire outside of public interest (broadly defined)?

Again, any and all input. PM or post on the thread. Thanks!

anecdotally BLS is just as competitive as dozo and Fordham...that is to say the three have pretty equal issues with employment. with BLS reducing their class size (as most schools with employment issues should do), it should help their %. as I've asked advice through my network here in NY, everyone says the same thing "if you want to work in NY, then you should go to BLS." obviously going to a t14 would also help you work in NY, but I think they were getting at the large alumni network. Just to be succinct, everyone I have asked are lawyers in the NY area - proskauer and other big firms, small boutiques, and big corporate companies.

obviously you need to be happy with your decision, but if its low debt at BLS or high debt at fordham - I believe the schools are equal enough that the low debt will enable you to not have to take a job you don't want right away just to pay off your debt. If your considering NYU or Columbia....I'm not sure I would pass that up.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:50 pm

Broooooooooooookyln. Brooooooooooooklyn. Brooooooooooklyn.

Sorry couldn't help it. I'm a Nets fan.

jack5on

Postby jack5on » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:54 am

jack5on wrote:
well.let's.see wrote:But to everyone else, I am seriously doing last minutes research...need any and all reasons to attend BLS and not be too worried about attending a 3rd level school in NYC--(1st=NYU/Columbia ; 2nd=Fordham ; 3rd=Dozo/BLS ; 4th, 5th, etc. etc.), and it is really nowhere close to 2nd level, let us not even discuss 1st--where every T10 also sends kids in troves. I would only have to come up with cost of living, but I want to get a job after. Anyone know it's actual professional reputation? How loyal are the alumni, honestly? Reasonable to go and aspire outside of public interest (broadly defined)?

anecdotally BLS is just as competitive as dozo and Fordham...that is to say the three have pretty equal issues with employment. with BLS reducing their class size (as most schools with employment issues should do), it should help their %. as I've asked advice through my network here in NY, everyone says the same thing "if you want to work in NY, then you should go to BLS." obviously going to a t14 would also help you work in NY, but I think they were getting at the large alumni network. Just to be succinct, everyone I have asked are lawyers in the NY area - proskauer and other big firms, small boutiques, and big corporate companies.

obviously you need to be happy with your decision, but if its low debt at BLS or high debt at fordham - I believe the schools are equal enough that the low debt will enable you to not have to take a job you don't want right away just to pay off your debt. If your considering NYU or Columbia....I'm not sure I would pass that up.

That being said, I'm glad the internet doesn't inhibit you on using an abrasive tone to talk down to others.

Paul Campos

Postby Paul Campos » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:20 pm

jack5on wrote:

Why would you rely on anecdotes when actual data are available?

BLS class of 2012, 100+ attorney firms + federal clerkships: 51 of 466 grads

Fordham class of 2012: 162 of 488 grads

michaelbluth

Postby michaelbluth » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:45 pm

duncanmn95 wrote:Hey thanxoxox dude...I called them, and they said I should hear back about an offer next week. So, when I hear top 80%, that makes me think that I have to put in moderate effort, like, do the reading, pass the exams, etc., but that I won't have to kill myself studying, but like are they just making the whole curriculum way harder??? I guess what I'm trying to say is that generous stipulation just seems too good to be true, like, there's gotta be a catch! Like, am I going to have to rip pages outta library books to break into the top 4/5 of the class???

Rising 2L at BLS (though I'm considering transferring up). Most people are really chill and helpful. There are about 2-3 douchey, competitive gunners per 80-person section, but I doubt even they would go so far as to rip pages out of books. (And, frankly, when I think about my section, the competitive douches are the ones I suspect are most likely to be in the bottom 20 percent.) I did really well this year and didn't have to kill myself for it. I never ripped a page from a book, never gave incorrect information to people asking for help, and have a decent number of friends.

BLS, somehow, attracts a really decent group of human beings. That being said, it's BLS. It's not going to get you big law. It's not going to garner positive name recognition with employers across the country. Its placement numbers are truly scary. All that being said, even though I will likely get into Columbia/NYU as a transfer applicant, I probably won't actually go through with a transfer. I'm really, really happy here. (To be fair, I'm also on a full ride here and extremely debt-averse.)

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:48 pm

michaelbluth wrote:
duncanmn95 wrote:Hey thanxoxox dude...I called them, and they said I should hear back about an offer next week. So, when I hear top 80%, that makes me think that I have to put in moderate effort, like, do the reading, pass the exams, etc., but that I won't have to kill myself studying, but like are they just making the whole curriculum way harder??? I guess what I'm trying to say is that generous stipulation just seems too good to be true, like, there's gotta be a catch! Like, am I going to have to rip pages outta library books to break into the top 4/5 of the class???

Rising 2L at BLS (though I'm considering transferring up). Most people are really chill and helpful. There are about 2-3 douchey, competitive gunners per 80-person section, but I doubt even they would go so far as to rip pages out of books. (And, frankly, when I think about my section, the competitive douches are the ones I suspect are most likely to be in the bottom 20 percent.) I did really well this year and didn't have to kill myself for it. I never ripped a page from a book, never gave incorrect information to people asking for help, and have a decent number of friends.

BLS, somehow, attracts a really decent group of human beings. That being said, it's BLS. It's not going to get you big law. It's not going to garner positive name recognition with employers across the country. Its placement numbers are truly scary. All that being said, even though I will likely get into Columbia/NYU as a transfer applicant, I probably won't actually go through with a transfer. I'm really, really happy here. (To be fair, I'm also on a full ride here and extremely debt-averse.)

How's BLS's maritime law program?

well.let's.see

Postby well.let's.see » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:21 pm

jack5on wrote:
jack5on wrote:

I appreciate the input.

jack5on

Postby jack5on » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:37 pm

Paul Campos wrote:
jack5on wrote:

Because I trust my sources as much as the data...as the bad press and law suits have indicated, data can be, and is, manipulated and skewed.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:09 pm

jack5on wrote:
Paul Campos wrote:
jack5on wrote:

Because I trust my sources as much as the data...as the bad press and law suits have indicated, data can be, and is, manipulated and skewed.

Absurd. The data above is verified by the ABA. There is no opportunity for a school to manipulate it.

Paul Campos

Postby Paul Campos » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:17 pm

jack5on wrote:
Paul Campos wrote:
jack5on wrote:

What is this even supposed to mean? Are you saying that BLS's horrible official employment stats exaggerate how bad things are for grads? That the huge gap between outcomes for Fordham and BLS grads in the ABA stats is somehow misleading?

Anyway this is a rationalization I haven't heard before: the official employment numbers the schools are now required to report are terrible, but ignore them because you can't trust the schools to report accurate numbers!

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:40 pm

Paul Campos wrote:What is this even supposed to mean? Are you saying that BLS's horrible official employment stats exaggerate how bad things are for grads? That the huge gap between outcomes for Fordham and BLS grads in the ABA stats is somehow misleading?

Anyway this is a rationalization I haven't heard before: the official employment numbers the schools are now required to report are terrible, but ignore them because you can't trust the schools to report accurate numbers!

I suppose the most charitable reading is that BLS is being honest in reporting the awful truth, while Fordham is staffed by a bunch of crooks and liars who have manipulated their numbers to be less awful than BLS's.

kwais

Postby kwais » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:46 pm

jack5on wrote:
Paul Campos wrote:
jack5on wrote:

classic

jack5on

Postby jack5on » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:03 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
Paul Campos wrote:What is this even supposed to mean? Are you saying that BLS's horrible official employment stats exaggerate how bad things are for grads? That the huge gap between outcomes for Fordham and BLS grads in the ABA stats is somehow misleading?

I suppose the most charitable reading is that BLS is being honest in reporting the awful truth, while Fordham is staffed by a bunch of crooks and liars who have manipulated their numbers to be less awful than BLS's.

First, I started by saying both schools have bad #s. Second isn't it true that BLS dropped significantly because they refused to report all the data required by US News? Just because something is required doesn't mean it happens.

My main point was that all types of information need to be judged together. Should someone go to BLS over Fordham with similar scholarships? I wouldn't argue that. My main point was that the differences between the two, in my opinion, aren't substantial enough to accumulate tons of debt which may force you to take the first job offer you get.

duncanmn95

Postby duncanmn95 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:29 pm

michaelbluth wrote:

Thanx dude for the info. Ya, I'm not too sure how badly I wanna work at a really big law firm, and I think I'd be happy to get the education at a low cost rather than pay a lotta money for a slightly more recognized school. What did you do for undergrad? Like, what did you study?

michaelbluth

Postby michaelbluth » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:58 am

duncanmn95 wrote:
michaelbluth wrote:Rising 2L at BLS (though I'm considering transferring up). Most people are really chill and helpful. There are about 2-3 douchey, competitive gunners per 80-person section, but I doubt even they would go so far as to rip pages out of books. (And, frankly, when I think about my section, the competitive douches are the ones I suspect are most likely to be in the bottom 20 percent.) I did really well this year and didn't have to kill myself for it. I never ripped a page from a book, never gave incorrect information to people asking for help, and have a decent number of friends.

Thanx dude for the info. Ya, I'm not too sure how badly I wanna work at a really big law firm, and I think I'd be happy to get the education at a low cost rather than pay a lotta money for a slightly more recognized school. What did you do for undergrad? Like, what did you study?

Political science at a state school for undergrad, worked for a non-profit for a year between college and law school doing brainless office work.

Here's my advice, ultimately. I see law school (and law school admissions) as a bit like gambling. Schools with higher rankings/better employment stats provide better odds, but they also come with a higher table minimum. (I see transferring the same way.) Figure out how much you're willing to bet and what your loss-limit is. Figure out in advance the point at which you decide to walk away.

A year ago, I turned down Fordham at sticker and GW with something like a scholarship that would have covered 1/3 or 1/4 tuition. (Somewhere in that range. I can't remember the exact number). I don't know how I would have performed at either of those schools. If I'd done as well there as I did here, I'd have more long-term options than I do now. I'd also have more debt. I suspect that the debt would have stressed me out to the point of paralyzing me and I would have done terribly.

When I made the choice to take the full ride and come to BLS, I made a deal with myself. If I wasn't in the top 1/3 after 1L, I would drop out, no matter what. Why? I'm still borrowing money for cost of living, although my mom helped a little bit with rent this year. I was willing to bet 1 year of living expenses that I'd be in the top 1/3. I was unwilling to bet another 2 years of rent/food/lost wages/etc. that coming out of BLS below that point would be worth it. It's still a pretty big gamble to make. The odds were against me, as it were.

Figure out what your tolerance for risk is. Write it down. And stick to it.

duncanmn95

Postby duncanmn95 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:04 pm

michaelbluth wrote:
duncanmn95 wrote:
michaelbluth wrote:Rising 2L at BLS (though I'm considering transferring up). Most people are really chill and helpful. There are about 2-3 douchey, competitive gunners per 80-person section, but I doubt even they would go so far as to rip pages out of books. (And, frankly, when I think about my section, the competitive douches are the ones I suspect are most likely to be in the bottom 20 percent.) I did really well this year and didn't have to kill myself for it. I never ripped a page from a book, never gave incorrect information to people asking for help, and have a decent number of friends.

Political science at a state school for undergrad, worked for a non-profit for a year between college and law school doing brainless office work.

Here's my advice, ultimately. I see law school (and law school admissions) as a bit like gambling. Schools with higher rankings/better employment stats provide better odds, but they also come with a higher table minimum. (I see transferring the same way.) Figure out how much you're willing to bet and what your loss-limit is. Figure out in advance the point at which you decide to walk away.

A year ago, I turned down Fordham at sticker and GW with something like a scholarship that would have covered 1/3 or 1/4 tuition. (Somewhere in that range. I can't remember the exact number). I don't know how I would have performed at either of those schools. If I'd done as well there as I did here, I'd have more long-term options than I do now. I'd also have more debt. I suspect that the debt would have stressed me out to the point of paralyzing me and I would have done terribly.

When I made the choice to take the full ride and come to BLS, I made a deal with myself. If I wasn't in the top 1/3 after 1L, I would drop out, no matter what. Why? I'm still borrowing money for cost of living, although my mom helped a little bit with rent this year. I was willing to bet 1 year of living expenses that I'd be in the top 1/3. I was unwilling to bet another 2 years of rent/food/lost wages/etc. that coming out of BLS below that point would be worth it. It's still a pretty big gamble to make. The odds were against me, as it were.

Figure out what your tolerance for risk is. Write it down. And stick to it.

THanx dude! I'll keep it in mind, and if BLS makes a good scholarship offer, I may see you there in the fall! :D

duncanmn95

Postby duncanmn95 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:55 pm

Hey Y'all, so I was offered 45/year, and I'm wondering how I may go about asking for more (an increase to 50 would be amazing b/c that would cover my tuition).
Stats: 3.37/168 UC Berkeley (This covers their UGPA, LSAT, and undergrad institution criterion.)
How do people normally ask about these things? They gave me what seems like a generous offer, and I don't want to be rude. Also, I'm already sold here :D However, I'd really like to minimize my debt however I can!

tcny98

Postby tcny98 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:42 pm

duncanmn95 wrote:Hey Y'all, so I was offered 45/year, and I'm wondering how I may go about asking for more (an increase to 50 would be amazing b/c that would cover my tuition).
Stats: 3.37/168 UC Berkeley (This covers their UGPA, LSAT, and undergrad institution criterion.)
How do people normally ask about these things? They gave me what seems like a generous offer, and I don't want to be rude. Also, I'm already sold here :D However, I'd really like to minimize my debt however I can!

No harm in sending an email to try to negotiate, however keep in mind that you're doing so extremely late in the game.

Vpassarelli

Postby Vpassarelli » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:47 am

Hello all just checking in here. Got in off the waitlist yesterday and accepted the offer today. Lost a $750 deposit at another school, but what ya gonna do.

duncanmn95

Postby duncanmn95 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:12 pm

tcny98 wrote:
duncanmn95 wrote:Hey Y'all, so I was offered 45/year, and I'm wondering how I may go about asking for more (an increase to 50 would be amazing b/c that would cover my tuition).

No harm in sending an email to try to negotiate, however keep in mind that you're doing so extremely late in the game.

Is it possible to like renegotiate scholarship money after the first year do you think? I was thinking the same thing about it being really late in the game though hehe ;)

generaltoast

Postby generaltoast » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:45 pm

Did anyone understand that email regarding tuition? Has it been increased? Multiplying the cost per credit in the email times the required credits comes out to a little over $53,000 for tuition now, not including fees

red52

Postby red52 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:34 pm

I just got an increased scholarship and decided I would take the offer.

I am in need of a roommate near the BLS campus (as I don't have an apartment yet), I'm a male, and I keep clean. I am a pretty social person, but I keep quiet. You will enjoy courtesy and a good study environment if we live together.

Message me if you are interested.

nedzilla

Postby nedzilla » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:19 pm

to those who got increased scholarships, was there anything in particular you did to get BLS to increase?
When I inquired months ago about negotiating, they replied saying they did not negotiate with other schools offers. I already have a sizable scholarship, but it is the only school I have not been able to negotiate with thus far.

well.let's.see

Postby well.let's.see » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:00 pm

nedzilla wrote:to those who got increased scholarships, was there anything in particular you did to get BLS to increase?
When I inquired months ago about negotiating, they replied saying they did not negotiate with other schools offers. I already have a sizable scholarship, but it is the only school I have not been able to negotiate with thus far.

Nothing, the increase was unsolicited.

pwnyc127

Postby pwnyc127 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:57 pm

nedzilla wrote:to those who got increased scholarships, was there anything in particular you did to get BLS to increase?

I decided to withdraw and go to Dozo instead so I sent BLS an e-mail saying I won't be attending and they called me back a few hours later with a full ride. They won't increase unless they need your numbers and you would withdraw otherwise. That being said, BLS for free seems like a better deal than Dozo for 17K so see you people there in the Fall!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”