Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dirtrida2

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby dirtrida2 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:15 pm

Ms. B wrote:Hey guys, anyone else trying to decide between SJU with a full scholarship and BLS with Lisle (30k/year)? I'd much rather go to BLS-- St. John's would be about a 40 min. commute and I just feel like Brooklyn would be a better fit in terms of clinics/externships and overall experience. BUUT, I don't know if all of that justifies spending $20k more a year....any input would be greatly appreciated.

SJU has a very tough stipulation, top 40%.

You should stay away from any school that demands such high requirements.

aresdude

Postby aresdude » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:21 pm

letitbe1981 wrote:
nirvanah wrote:
letitbe1981 wrote:Richardson scholarship with 33k a year!!!! BLS is officially my #1

Congrats!!!!did bls connect update or did you get a packet in the mail?

BLS Connect update, but will receive more information via postal mail in the next few days.

I CANT WAIT THAT LONG.

Ms. B

Postby Ms. B » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:07 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:
Ms. B wrote:Hey guys, anyone else trying to decide between SJU with a full scholarship and BLS with Lisle (30k/year)? I'd much rather go to BLS-- St. John's would be about a 40 min. commute and I just feel like Brooklyn would be a better fit in terms of clinics/externships and overall experience. BUUT, I don't know if all of that justifies spending $20k more a year....any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm aware, I actually brought that up with my admissions counselor from SJU when I went to visit and and she said very explicitly that they do not section stack or anything like that...she also mentioned that 98% of the people with my scholarship kept it for all 3 years. I almost wish I could rule it out that easily just to make the decision easier....haha. Thanks for your take though.

babyxballerina

Postby babyxballerina » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:15 pm

Ms. B wrote:
dirtrida2 wrote:

I'm aware, I actually brought that up with my admissions counselor from SJU when I went to visit and and she said very explicitly that they do not section stack or anything like that...she also mentioned that 98% of the people with my scholarship kept it for all 3 years. I almost wish I could rule it out that easily just to make the decision easier....haha. Thanks for your take though.

You need to make sure that when she said 98% of people who kept it kept all of it and not 50% of it. Ask if majority keep 100% of the scholarship. I know, for SJU, you can keep a portion of it if you're not in top 40%. I got a scholarship from SJU, but it wasn't full ride like yours.

Ms. B

Postby Ms. B » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:50 pm

babyxballerina wrote:
Ms. B wrote:
dirtrida2 wrote:

You need to make sure that when she said 98% of people who kept it kept all of it and not 50% of it. Ask if majority keep 100% of the scholarship. I know, for SJU, you can keep a portion of it if you're not in top 40%. I got a scholarship from SJU, but it wasn't full ride like yours.

Hm, Interesting. I'm pretty sure she specified, but can't remember exactly.....Either way though, as long as they don't section stack, doesn't it kind of make sense that they would hold you to a high standard if they are heavily investing in you? I know I haven't been to law school, so there's no guarantee but top 40% seems do-able as long as you're pulling your weight....just my 2 cents and congrats on your offer!

babyxballerina

Postby babyxballerina » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:55 pm

Ms. B wrote:
babyxballerina wrote:
Ms. B wrote:
dirtrida2 wrote:

Hm, Interesting. I'm pretty sure she specified, but can't remember exactly.....Either way though, as long as they don't section stack, doesn't it kind of make sense that they would hold you to a high standard if they are heavily investing in you? I know I haven't been to law school, so there's no guarantee but top 40% seems do-able as long as you're pulling your weight....just my 2 cents and congrats on your offer!

I heard law school grades are a gamble. I was just at Cardozo's ASD and one of the students said that he did great in some classes and bad in others, even though he did the same thing. But, if you're one of the people who got a full scholarship, you're probably really smart and can rank in top 40%. I think they just throw small scholarships at a lot of people. Congrats to you too! :) Best of luck with your final decision.

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:11 pm

If they are so invested in you, why do only a few schools (mainly TTTT) through out 40% stipulations?

As you go up the rankings you will see that the stipulations rise to 60%/75%/80% and eventually to good academic standing.

You tell me which schools seem more invested in you.

shredmeister

Postby shredmeister » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:43 pm

got in with 41k/yr, top 80% stip. Do they give this scholly to many or should I feel special? I know SJU gives schollies like free matchboxes at the gas station. Seriously considering BLS, but ranking drop to 80/fact that theyre selling 6/8 brownstones has me thinking theyre on the decline.

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:11 pm

shredmeister wrote:got in with 41k/yr, top 80% stip. Do they give this scholly to many or should I feel special? I know SJU gives schollies like free matchboxes at the gas station. Seriously considering BLS, but ranking drop to 80/fact that theyre selling 6/8 brownstones has me thinking theyre on the decline.

I got the same scholarship. They wouldn't negotiate. Couple that with the high COL - not worth it in my book.

mip1011

Postby mip1011 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:36 am

patienunderstanding wrote:
mip1011 wrote:Just got back from NY, (a chicagoan here). Of the 17 schools I applied to, it came down to Brooklyn Vs Cardozo, and just meeting admitted students, teachers, administration, and seeing facilities throughout the week, it made the choice easy for me. Brooklyn, though it's one of my lowest (us news and world reports) ranked schools, purely beat everyone else in most of the categories in my mind. I'm putting down my deposit this weekend. I look forward to seeing some of y'all in the fall.

Could you please elaborate a bit more why bls over dozo? I have the same decision to make :D

Honestly, it's a really personal choice and opinion. Some people might really like the things that I did not about Cardozo. I would say the ups for Brooklyn were, good campus, good and longstanding connections with NY law firms, and that I really like the library and campus in general. Cardozo on the other hand is a young school, and doing well for how short they have been teaching, but it just came off as arrogant and cocky to me when their students would talk about it (and I heard some of them talking crap about Brooklyn, which kind of set me off).

Generally, I just like the community aspect of Brooklyn, and I really like that their dean has made it his goal to get better graduate placement directly and comprehensively, unlike a lot of other schools in which look to achieve that goal by focusing on a single smaller aspect of their school (cardozo: public interest).

But in the end, it comes down to, I liked Brooklyn was more impressive than I had anticipated, and Cardozo was more disappointing than what I thought it would be.

shredmeister

Postby shredmeister » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:10 pm

mip- do you go to BLS?

letitbe1981

Postby letitbe1981 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:45 pm

Has anyone experienced password issues with BLS connect, and not being able to sign in? Or, seeing merit scholarship rewarded, and then have it return to 0.00? I received a confirmation e-mail saying I was a recipient of a merit scholarship package, so I am hoping it is just BLS Connect issues, hoping.

Ms. B

Postby Ms. B » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:36 pm

Hm, I think this just happened to me too. Just checked and my scholarship is no longer there...sure hope they put it back!

ArizonaSecrets

Postby ArizonaSecrets » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:44 pm

Hello everybody. I've been lurking this thread for a while but after taking a tour of campus and realizing how seriously I am considering BrookLaw, I decided it was time to post. I was admitted on Feb. 19 after sending my application during the second week of January. I don't have any other dates about status checker because I don't remember. I am a Richardson merit scholarship recipient.

I basically applied everywhere in NYC and schools ranked lower than BLS all gave me full tuition scholarships and schools outside the T14 gave me less generous amounts than BLS (makes sense doesn't it?). Anyway, I thought it would be hard to throw away the opportunity to receive a JD without taking out loans to finance the degree itself (CoL aside, obviously) but after visiting St. John's, Hofstra and NYLS I am coming to terms with actually doing that. Those three schools did not particularly impress what I was looking for, though I will say I appreciated the strengths that each of those schools possess.

I received an excess of information at Dozo's ASD this past week and nothing really seemed to resonate strongly with me. I also walked away impressed with Cardozo's strengths, though.

I only a roughly two hour tour of BrookLaw, but it was a place I could envision enjoying myself most, compared to the other schools. Unfortunately, while I languished through day long admitted student days elsewhere, I was left wanting to know more about BLS after my tour. If it's okay, I'll post some take-aways that I personally have and some things that I am trying to know better.

Although I grew up in Queens, I think of Brooklyn as a foreign place. I've never spent significant time there before, but I really like the area in which Brooklyn's campus resides. I'd prefer to live close to my law school during 1L and while I'd be more likely to live anywhere in Manhattan when attending a school in that borough; I would not be comfortable living in any other area of Brooklyn than the BK Heights. I actually do believe housing at Feil is affordable for a studio when you consider the market in Brooklyn Heights is very expensive.

I can't speak to the support that professors and staff afford students at BLS (because it was just a tour), it did not appear to me that BLS was a restrictive environment for students. Moot court, journals, clinical experience, affinity clubs, and externships are all available and nothing precludes you from exercising one option at the same time as another. I got the impression that many students try their best to pad their resume with many of these activities, but I'm in the camp that believes law school will be what you make of it so I kind of like that.

I guess on the more negative end of the spectrum, I got a feeling that BLS is very competitive and can be characterized as "cut throat" (in fact the 2L giving my tour confided that in the few of us still hanging around at the end of the tour. It may just be my rose color glasses, but I think that has to do with the pressure that you can feel from your classmates taking part in many of the opportunities available to them. Also, I think it'd be very considerate to characterize the facility as "rustic," but that's as best as I can do. It seems like was designed from the law school archetype we know from old movies. Technology does not appear to be strongly integrated in classrooms. The microphones hanging from the ceilings of large lecture hall may bring visions of gallows and slipknots to some unfortunate Socratic method victim. Technology means a lot to me and it seems like BLS needs a drastic overhaul in that regard.

Finally, financially I am grateful to have received such a generous amount with generous stipulations, but it would really help me out if negotiation were available (full disclosure I haven't tried yet). I am a few years removed from my undergraduate career and that has resulted in my debt-tolerance to decrease. I want to know more about how to discuss this topic effectively and professionally. I also want to learn more about fellowship opportunities. If I were admitted to a fellowship program my decision would basically be made for me, but the deadlines are inconsistent and the results come out much later than when deposits are required so it may be a leap of faith.

If you think I should do some research on something you believe I'm overlooking, agree or disagree with something I said or you just wish I would write less next time let me know. I hope that there are others on this thread who are seeking a sounding board as they make their decision. Best of luck to all.

aresdude

Postby aresdude » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:20 pm

shredmeister wrote:mip- do you go to BLS?

mip1011

Postby mip1011 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:21 pm

aresdude wrote:
shredmeister wrote:mip- do you go to BLS?

No, but I'm going to be putting down my deposit for next year soon.

fredmerz

Postby fredmerz » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:39 am

ArizonaSecrets wrote:I would not be comfortable living in any other area of Brooklyn than the BK Heights. I actually do believe housing at Feil is affordable for a studio when you consider the market in Brooklyn Heights is very expensive.

Why would you only be comfortable living in BK Heights? There are plenty of more affordable and perfectly nice/safe neighborhoods within easy biking distance of the school.

jack5on

Postby jack5on » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:28 pm

on BLS Connect my Merit Scholarship went from 15/yr to 0 sometime in the past 3 days...interesting.

jack5on

Postby jack5on » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:18 pm

jack5on wrote:on BLS Connect my Merit Scholarship went from 15/yr to 0 sometime in the past 3 days...interesting.

Also no longer have a counselor listed.

AssociateX

Postby AssociateX » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:48 am

mip1011 wrote:
patienunderstanding wrote:
mip1011 wrote:Just got back from NY, (a chicagoan here). Of the 17 schools I applied to, it came down to Brooklyn Vs Cardozo, and just meeting admitted students, teachers, administration, and seeing facilities throughout the week, it made the choice easy for me. Brooklyn, though it's one of my lowest (us news and world reports) ranked schools, purely beat everyone else in most of the categories in my mind. I'm putting down my deposit this weekend. I look forward to seeing some of y'all in the fall.

Could you please elaborate a bit more why bls over dozo? I have the same decision to make :D

Honestly, it's a really personal choice and opinion. Some people might really like the things that I did not about Cardozo. I would say the ups for Brooklyn were, good campus, good and longstanding connections with NY law firms, and that I really like the library and campus in general. Cardozo on the other hand is a young school, and doing well for how short they have been teaching, but it just came off as arrogant and cocky to me when their students would talk about it (and I heard some of them talking crap about Brooklyn, which kind of set me off).

Generally, I just like the community aspect of Brooklyn, and I really like that their dean has made it his goal to get better graduate placement directly and comprehensively, unlike a lot of other schools in which look to achieve that goal by focusing on a single smaller aspect of their school (cardozo: public interest).

But in the end, it comes down to, I liked Brooklyn was more impressive than I had anticipated, and Cardozo was more disappointing than what I thought it would be.

This is also how I felt after taking the Cardozo tour. Ultimately I chose BLS with no regrets. The drop in ranking shouldn't alter decisions to attend or not attend as the rankings are so fickle every year. It's still considered a very good regional law school with excellent relationships with NYC firms.

fredmerz

Postby fredmerz » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:55 am

Is anyone else having trouble accessing BLSConnect? For the past few days I haven't been able to get the page to load.

CalamityPhysics

Postby CalamityPhysics » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:30 am

My scholarship info is gone as well. $33k/yr to nothing.

ArizonaSecrets

Postby ArizonaSecrets » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:40 am

fredmerz wrote:
ArizonaSecrets wrote:I would not be comfortable living in any other area of Brooklyn than the BK Heights. I actually do believe housing at Feil is affordable for a studio when you consider the market in Brooklyn Heights is very expensive.

Why would you only be comfortable living in BK Heights? There are plenty of more affordable and perfectly nice/safe neighborhoods within easy biking distance of the school.

I'm not going to be able to look for a place in Brooklyn because I am coming from out of state and will still be working this summer. Being unfamiliar with the areas make it unlikely I'd live elsewhere my 1L. Kinda shallow, but just a ease of mind kind of thing. There's also the possibility that I'd be splitting my Feil rent with my "family member" (read: girlfriend).

ArizonaSecrets

Postby ArizonaSecrets » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:45 am

AssociateX wrote:This is also how I felt after taking the Cardozo tour. Ultimately I chose BLS with no regrets. The drop in ranking shouldn't alter decisions to attend or not attend as the rankings are so fickle every year. It's still considered a very good regional law school with excellent relationships with NYC firms.

Yeah, the rankings this year showed a drop for almost all big city schools. Cardozo impressively insulated itself from a drop, but I'm not so sure rankings are that important.

butonemike

Postby butonemike » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:36 pm

butonemike wrote:Applied 3/8
Completed 3/8
Admitted 3/15

GPA: 3.34
LSAT: 162
Non-URM

Softs:
-5 years full-time employment at consulting firm
-6 months undergrad intern at law firm

Will update post once I hear back about funding.

BLSC just updated with 30k =D

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”