Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:48 pm

jack5on wrote:
cusenation wrote:


This only applies to undergraduates


That's good. Honestly, I have the most minimal understanding of student loans. They have just rocked my world as I am trying to figure them out.


Yeah it's complicated. Just minimize those GradPLUS loans as much as you can. They have a 7.9% interest rate (the highest out of the assortment of federal loans)

letitbe1981
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:47 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby letitbe1981 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:57 pm

sergiokun16 wrote:
letitbe1981 wrote:Got in today probably due to my updated Feb LSAT score of a 159. I have a 3.7 gpa. I thought that was a pretty fast decision. I was expecting at least a month. I wonder if I will receive any scholarship offer. How long did it take for those to receive their information?


3 business days. Express strong interest and they will probably throw cash at you. I have 158/3.72 and I got $30000. Congrats!



Great advice, but I tailored my application to express BLS as my top choice. I wrote a very strong addendum that I'm now regretting wishing I waited until after. I had a low 150 score the first time I took the LSAT and then got a 159 on the feb LSAT. I applied back in January to show my eagerness. I am wondering if it is now a mistake and I am so eager that they know ill pay sticker price (if it even works like that).

sergiokun16
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 4:52 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby sergiokun16 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:30 pm

letitbe1981 wrote:
sergiokun16 wrote:
letitbe1981 wrote:Got in today probably due to my updated Feb LSAT score of a 159. I have a 3.7 gpa. I thought that was a pretty fast decision. I was expecting at least a month. I wonder if I will receive any scholarship offer. How long did it take for those to receive their information?


3 business days. Express strong interest and they will probably throw cash at you. I have 158/3.72 and I got $30000. Congrats!



Great advice, but I tailored my application to express BLS as my top choice. I wrote a very strong addendum that I'm now regretting wishing I waited until after. I had a low 150 score the first time I took the LSAT and then got a 159 on the feb LSAT. I applied back in January to show my eagerness. I am wondering if it is now a mistake and I am so eager that they know ill pay sticker price (if it even works like that).


I think you are still in somewhat of a power position. Write to them and highlight the following:

1) The fact that you've been so eager all along, and that you've been willing to work hard and retake the LSAT to improve your chances of being admitted. The commitment will look good.

2) Mention any other offers you've had from similar schools. Just state the obvious fact that Brooklyn is so damn expensive to live in!

These two factors, combined with the fact that they just slumped in the rankings, might get you some cash. Good luck! If you want to see what I emailed to them, PM me and I'll copy and paste it to you.

letitbe1981
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:47 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby letitbe1981 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:30 pm

Accepted on Friday, received BLS connect information BUT after typing everything in-nothing happens. It says in e-mail it takes approx 13 hours to see information but I can't even access bls connect. Did others have this problem?

sergiokun16
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 4:52 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby sergiokun16 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:54 pm

letitbe1981 wrote:Accepted on Friday, received BLS connect information BUT after typing everything in-nothing happens. It says in e-mail it takes approx 13 hours to see information but I can't even access bls connect. Did others have this problem?


No, I didn't experience that. See if it is still giving you trouble later tonight, and if it is, contact the school tomorrow.

sergiokun16
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 4:52 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby sergiokun16 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:57 pm

Going for a visit April 5th. I posted this question under the "Ask a Law Student" forum, but it has gone untouched, so I'll ask it here:

-Would it be wiser to seek my own housing, or to take BLS's housing? BLS's apartments look really nice, but there are cheaper options available. Anyone have any input on this?

nirvanah
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:34 am

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby nirvanah » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:09 pm

I got in thursday, got my bls connect info, and was able to log in. Make sure you're typing the password correctly :)

letitbe1981
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:47 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby letitbe1981 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Alas, it worked. But, in the Merit Scholarship awarded section there is only a question mark- not even a 0.00. Does it take a few days for this to appear (if Merit scholarship is even awarded to me)?

sergiokun16
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 4:52 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby sergiokun16 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:35 pm

letitbe1981 wrote:Alas, it worked. But, in the Merit Scholarship awarded section there is only a question mark- not even a 0.00. Does it take a few days for this to appear (if Merit scholarship is even awarded to me)?


Yeah it took a few business days for merit $ to show up

nirvanah
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:34 am

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby nirvanah » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:17 pm

yeah, nothing on mine yet either .....im hoping to get a decent offer. i like the school ,and nyc...would need some decent $ to attend though.

butonemike
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:22 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby butonemike » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:13 am

Applied 3/8
Completed 3/8
Admitted 3/15

GPA: 3.34
LSAT: 162
Non-URM

Softs:
-5 years full-time employment at consulting firm
-6 months undergrad intern at law firm

Will update post once I hear back about funding.

letitbe1981
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:47 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby letitbe1981 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:39 pm

BLS connect merit scholarship awarded now has 0.00 :(

letitbe1981
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:47 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby letitbe1981 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:40 pm

anyone see 0.00 under merit before receiving actual money??

User avatar
patienunderstanding
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:45 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby patienunderstanding » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:00 pm

letitbe1981 wrote:anyone see 0.00 under merit before receiving actual money??

Yes for about 4-5 days

amf728
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:34 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby amf728 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:39 pm

has anyone successfully negotiated a scholarship recently? I got a formula "we do not negotiate" response.

User avatar
sanjola
Posts: 479
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby sanjola » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:40 pm

amf728 wrote:has anyone successfully negotiated a scholarship recently? I got a formula "we do not negotiate" response.


I got the same response. I have a feeling they might change their mind come the deposit deadline date.

fredmerz
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:57 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby fredmerz » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:39 am

Has anyone else had problems getting email from BLS? I never got a confirmation email saying they received my application so I emailed them and they responding saying they did and had already emailed me their decision. I never got it and it wasn't in my spam folders. I asked them to resend to multiple email addresses, they said they would and I never got those either. Then two days later I got the invite to use BLS connect as an admitted student without ever getting a letter of admission. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

jack5on
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:10 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby jack5on » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:25 pm

sanjola wrote:
amf728 wrote:has anyone successfully negotiated a scholarship recently? I got a formula "we do not negotiate" response.


I got the same response. I have a feeling they might change their mind come the deposit deadline date.


I hope so. Didn't they get the message about what happens when you decide not to play ball from US News?

letitbe1981
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:47 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby letitbe1981 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:34 pm

Richardson scholarship with 33k a year!!!! BLS is officially my #1

aresdude
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:36 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby aresdude » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:22 pm

Just got accepted today. How to find scholarship info?

User avatar
mip1011
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:05 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby mip1011 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:23 am

Just got back from NY, (a chicagoan here). Of the 17 schools I applied to, it came down to Brooklyn Vs Cardozo, and just meeting admitted students, teachers, administration, and seeing facilities throughout the week, it made the choice easy for me. Brooklyn, though it's one of my lowest (us news and world reports) ranked schools, purely beat everyone else in most of the categories in my mind. I'm putting down my deposit this weekend. I look forward to seeing some of y'all in the fall.

nirvanah
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:34 am

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby nirvanah » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:32 am

letitbe1981 wrote:Richardson scholarship with 33k a year!!!! BLS is officially my #1


Congrats!!!!did bls connect update or did you get a packet in the mail?

User avatar
patienunderstanding
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:45 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby patienunderstanding » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:14 am

mip1011 wrote:Just got back from NY, (a chicagoan here). Of the 17 schools I applied to, it came down to Brooklyn Vs Cardozo, and just meeting admitted students, teachers, administration, and seeing facilities throughout the week, it made the choice easy for me. Brooklyn, though it's one of my lowest (us news and world reports) ranked schools, purely beat everyone else in most of the categories in my mind. I'm putting down my deposit this weekend. I look forward to seeing some of y'all in the fall.

Could you please elaborate a bit more why bls over dozo? I have the same decision to make :D

letitbe1981
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:47 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby letitbe1981 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:50 am

nirvanah wrote:
letitbe1981 wrote:Richardson scholarship with 33k a year!!!! BLS is officially my #1


Congrats!!!!did bls connect update or did you get a packet in the mail?



BLS Connect update, but will receive more information via postal mail in the next few days.

Ms. B
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby Ms. B » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:11 pm

Hey guys, anyone else trying to decide between SJU with a full scholarship and BLS with Lisle (30k/year)? I'd much rather go to BLS-- St. John's would be about a 40 min. commute and I just feel like Brooklyn would be a better fit in terms of clinics/externships and overall experience. BUUT, I don't know if all of that justifies spending $20k more a year....any input would be greatly appreciated.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, applicationquestions, Exabot [Bot], Keilz, premalone and 15 guests