Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
baddabing27

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby baddabing27 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:38 am

Ok Folks,

What'd ya think of that ASD?

ffoxes

Postby ffoxes » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:29 am

baddabing27 wrote:Ok Folks,

Ok, where to start.

I liked a lot about the school. Mainly the location, the facilities, the views... During some parts I really could see myself at BLS, and at other parts I was completely ambivalent.

I did love the fact that professors and school reps were scattered among the tables at lunch. This was my first ASD so I don't know if this is the norm, but it was a nice touch. I was impressed with the faculty, from what I saw.

When we did the small groups with current students, I was feeling great about BLS. The two particular students I had were very charming, and didn't seem all that concerned about the school's ranking or reputation. I wanted to ask "have any of you been on TLS lately..?"

As for Dean Allard, I don't implicitly trust the guy. Yes, he was a wise-cracking smooth-talker, and I enjoyed his little spiel, but that 15 point drop is HORRENDOUS. I don't think it can simply be accredited to some omitted numbers.

I had my reservations about BLS before, and I left still feeling a little suspicious. I truly want to love the school but I just can't stomach the plunge, especially at their price! If their goal was to convince me, I left feeling more unsure than ever.

jack5on

Postby jack5on » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:35 am

I don't think they have come to terms with the fact that accepted students don't have to choose to go there...the teachers are a good bunch and the alumni network is vast....the administration seems way too self absorbed - that's really a negative.

If I have to hear from one more person on the importance of going to a career fair or of networking...I may puke. I thought we were supposed to be learning about the law school, not common sense practices about job hunts and how to be an adult.

Also...who the hell cares about a bazillion niche blogs? I have a blog, does that impress any of you?

ffoxes

Postby ffoxes » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:45 am

jack5on wrote:

I don't think they have come to terms with the fact that accepted students don't have to choose to go there...the teachers are a good bunch and the alumni network is vast....the administration seems way too self absorbed - that's really a negative.

If I have to hear from one more person on the importance of going to a career fair or of networking...I may puke. I thought we were supposed to be learning about the law school, not common sense practices about job hunts and how to be an adult.

Also...who the hell cares about a bazillion niche blogs? I have a blog, does that impress any of you?

Agreed. I think they stressed networking/career fairs because they know prospective students are doubting whether a BLS degree can get them a job. They are essentially saying "gone are the days where a law degree alone meant something, especially one from BLS, so you need to make networking a full-time job if you want to get anywhere." Just another way to cover themselves and put it on us for not being competitive with a JD from their school. While accurate, this approach was not successful in terms of persuasion.

jack5on

Postby jack5on » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:56 am

ffoxes wrote:
jack5on wrote:

Agreed. I think they stressed networking/career fairs because they know prospective students are doubting whether a BLS degree can get them a job. They are essentially saying "gone are the days where a law degree alone meant something, especially one from BLS, so you need to make networking a full-time job if you want to get anywhere." Just another way to cover themselves and put it on us for not being competitive with a JD from their school. While accurate, this approach was not successful in terms of persuasion.

Yea. I agree with you. I felt more unsure when I left than when I showed up. It all seemed like a really poor hustle. On that topic...the students in my discussion talked about how reasonable the room and board is compared to the rest of the city....they must be the stupidest kids in the school - 21k rent for the year (which the 1 bedroom is) is not "a good deal" for the city....

ffoxes

Postby ffoxes » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:08 am

jack5on wrote:
ffoxes wrote:
jack5on wrote:

Yea. I agree with you. I felt more unsure when I left than when I showed up. It all seemed like a really poor hustle. On that topic...the students in my discussion talked about how reasonable the room and board is compared to the rest of the city....they must be the stupidest kids in the school - 21k rent for the year (which the 1 bedroom is) is not "a good deal" for the city....

Well that's just silly. One of the students in my section seemed totally fine with paying sticker, so maybe they did just hunt out the most naive ones to be involved with ASD.

Where do you think you will end up?

jack5on

Postby jack5on » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:13 am

ffoxes wrote:
jack5on wrote:
ffoxes wrote:
jack5on wrote:

Well that's just silly. One of the students in my section seemed totally fine with paying sticker, so maybe they did just hunt out the most naive ones to be involved with ASD.

Where do you think you will end up?

Unless Brooklyn comes up SUBSTANTIALLY with their scholarship offer - and then some - I'll probably be going to Seton Hall's PT program as they gave me 28k a year.

How about yourself?

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:16 am

Its a scary world out there - it's amazing how many souls have yet to discover TLS.

Be thankful that you were lucky enough to be enlightened.

:lol:

jack5on

Postby jack5on » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:25 am

Oh boy! Did I just give it to them in the survey. Also, whoever asked about the rankings dropping 15 points...you are my hero...If you are on here: Thank You.

nirvanah

Postby nirvanah » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:40 am

Unless Brooklyn comes up SUBSTANTIALLY with their scholarship offer - and then some - I'll probably be going to Seton Hall's PT program as they gave me 28k a year.

How about yourself?[/quote]

Did you negotiate with SHU or was that first offer? if they can up it to 28k for me, they will move up in my top choices :O...i also have moving expenses to consider.

amf728

Postby amf728 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:49 am

Can anyone elaborate on the answer to the ranking drop? I had to leave early to go back to work and I wasn't there when this was discussed. I stayed until lunch and thought that the overall atmosphere was better than some other ASD I attended. It did seem like admissions was shuffling us through the motions, though....Has anyone successfully negotiated a substantial scholarship increase?

baddabing27

Postby baddabing27 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:05 pm

Everyone on here makes some good points. I was kind of surprised at how much they push public service careers at BLS. I know its kind of there thing, but still - that's all they talked about basically. I'm surprised people didn't appreciate the discussion on jobs and how to market yourself. I thought that was one of the most important issues facing students in today's market and the points seemed right on.

The dean seemed like a nice guy, but a total salesman and he was definitely uncomfortable with the ranking drop question. Thanks whoever you are. Still on the fence about BLS, but I could see myself there. Gotta see how that Dozo ASD goes. 15 point drop in rank just plain sucks.

The case discussion was also a nice touch. Same goes for the student panel, gotta take the students they feed you at ASD with a grain of salt though.

underperformingurm

Postby underperformingurm » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:37 pm

I also thought the dean did a poor job of explaining the drop in ranking. I also wasn't satisfied with the answer he gave me when I asked what he was doing differently to employ BLS graduates. His "Kodak moment" shtick may have convinced some but I wasn't impressed. They gave me a sizable scholly but I'm probably going to withdraw.

During the small session, I asked about the rankings and the two students gave terrible responses. One guy had a sizable scholly and the other secured a job at the firm she worked at before she came to BLS, I guess they can afford to be disintersted.

ultrasajid

Postby ultrasajid » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:03 pm

I think they probably push public service jobs because people with a penchant for that field aren't looking for big money and are looking for LRAP. They're playing to their demo.

baddabing27

Postby baddabing27 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:41 pm

I think they probably push public service jobs because people with a penchant for that field aren't looking for big money and are looking for LRAP. They're playing to their demo.

Yea It makes total sense. I was just a little surprised how strong the message came across. Lots of schools play to their strengths, but BLS didn't speak to much of anything else.

jack5on

Postby jack5on » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:13 pm

baddabing27 wrote:

Yea It makes total sense. I was just a little surprised how strong the message came across. Lots of schools play to their strengths, but BLS didn't speak to much of anything else.

If you think BLS talked a lot about public interest, then you should have been to Rutgers' open house.

letitbe1981

Postby letitbe1981 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:08 pm

Got in today probably due to my updated Feb LSAT score of a 159. I have a 3.7 gpa. I thought that was a pretty fast decision. I was expecting at least a month. I wonder if I will receive any scholarship offer. How long did it take for those to receive their information?

sergiokun16

Postby sergiokun16 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:18 pm

letitbe1981 wrote:Got in today probably due to my updated Feb LSAT score of a 159. I have a 3.7 gpa. I thought that was a pretty fast decision. I was expecting at least a month. I wonder if I will receive any scholarship offer. How long did it take for those to receive their information?

3 business days. Express strong interest and they will probably throw cash at you. I have 158/3.72 and I got $30000. Congrats!

baddabing27

Postby baddabing27 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:18 pm

If you think BLS talked a lot about public interest, then you should have been to Rutgers' open house.

Definitely a good point. BLS was my first official visit. Hard to get a baseline from just one.

I was in Brooklyn last night and saw a bunch of BLS kids celebrating the end of their moot court competition at a bar in the Heights. They were drinking from their trophy. Thought it might be worth mentioning. That was my first time in Bk Heights (to really explore). It's an amazing neighborhood.

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:46 pm

baddabing27 wrote:

Definitely a good point. BLS was my first official visit. Hard to get a baseline from just one.

I was in Brooklyn last night and saw a bunch of BLS kids celebrating the end of their moot court competition at a bar in the Heights. They were drinking from their trophy. Thought it might be worth mentioning. That was my first time in Bk Heights (to really explore). It's an amazing neighborhood.

Are you sharing their victory, critiquing the fact that they were drinking from the trophy, and/or both?

Lol.
Last edited by dirtrida2 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jack5on

Postby jack5on » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:48 pm

baddabing27 wrote:

Maybe you should buy a place down there then...I mean hell mortgage rates are half that of a federal student loan.

(that was just to relieve some of my angst towards student loan rates being so high.)

jack5on

Postby jack5on » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:36 pm

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:43 pm

This only applies to undergraduates

baddabing27

Postby baddabing27 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm

Are you sharing their victory, critiquing the fact that they were drinking from the trophy, and/or both?

Lol.

I just found it amusing. And nice to see some happy law students.

jack5on

Postby jack5on » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:47 pm

cusenation wrote:

This only applies to undergraduates

That's good. Honestly, I have the most minimal understanding of student loans. They have just rocked my world as I am trying to figure them out.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”