Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
njpark

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby njpark » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:55 pm

Got my scholarship info -- 33k/yr

pwnyc127

Postby pwnyc127 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:16 am

totalgleek wrote: Finally- got a second letter from dean of admissions explaining a new tuition policy and new loan repayment assistance program starting THIS year.
Get this-> "While your scholarship does not offer you a "free ride" up front- you will be expected to pay a small portion of tuition each year- we also are offering you an 'insurance policy' to cover that tuition. If you maintain your merit scholarship each year of enrollment through graduation from BLS and, 9 months after graduation, you have sought but failed to secure employment, we will reimburse you for the full amount of your tuition payments, plus any interest on loans you have borrowed to cover tuition".

Like. IS THIS FOR REAL?? :shock: umm? thoughts :| ?

I saw that too. I asked my admissions counselor at BLS about it, she said that "employment" is not defined as JD required. So for example, you may be unable to find a job that requires a law degree, however if you manage to get hired as a garbage truck driver, they will consider you employed and unable to collect the tuition refund.

I'm going to ask again when I go to visit BLS for the financial aid 101 meeting. However this looks like a sketchy policy at the very least.

pwnyc127

Postby pwnyc127 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:34 pm

Update- visited BLS today and confirmed with Admissions staff- Loan Repayment Assistance Program defines "employment" as any full time position. So if you work any job within 9 months of graduation, regardless if it requires a JD or not, you will not qualify for the program.

phillyfun

Postby phillyfun » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:46 pm

pwnyc127 wrote:"we do not negotiate with terrorists"

Obviously I'm paraphrasing, but was their response with regards to scholarship negotiation.

Haha that was the email response I got too.

sergiokun16

Postby sergiokun16 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:12 pm

Been waiting anxiously on BLS for what seems like forever, and it's quickly become my top choice. I'm a splitter, should I write a LOCI just to express my desire to attend? Or do I just need to chill the hell out and be patient?

jack5on

Postby jack5on » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:35 am

sergiokun16 wrote:Been waiting anxiously on BLS for what seems like forever, and it's quickly become my top choice. I'm a splitter, should I write a LOCI just to express my desire to attend? Or do I just need to chill the hell out and be patient?

I would give it some time. especially since schools are dealing with the LSAC fiasco. I had my application complete late October and didn't hear a response until 2/25.

Good Luck!

sergiokun16

Postby sergiokun16 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:50 am

jack5on wrote:
sergiokun16 wrote:Been waiting anxiously on BLS for what seems like forever, and it's quickly become my top choice. I'm a splitter, should I write a LOCI just to express my desire to attend? Or do I just need to chill the hell out and be patient?

I would give it some time. especially since schools are dealing with the LSAC fiasco. I had my application complete late October and didn't hear a response until 2/25.

Good Luck!

Thanks! And wow your wait must have felt like an eternity. I had my application in mid-November. I'll wait it out, I don't want to seem pushy. Good point about the LSAC fiasco as well.

jack5on

Postby jack5on » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:16 am

sergiokun16 wrote:
jack5on wrote:

Good Luck!

Thanks! And wow your wait must have felt like an eternity. I had my application in mid-November. I'll wait it out, I don't want to seem pushy. Good point about the LSAC fiasco as well.

Anytime! Seriously best of luck to you. One thing that may be OK is to give the admissions office a call to just confirm that your application was processed correctly. I had mine processed incorrectly from a few schools and only managed to sort it out via a phone call: "Hi .................... I've been in review since X and a few schools had my application processed incorrectly so I wanted to confirm it complete, etc.......might you know when I may hear back." Then atleast your mind will be at ease and its a diplomatic way to get more information.

ultrasajid

Postby ultrasajid » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:04 pm

In via e-mail this morning. Applied 1/14, went complete 1/18, no changes after that.

jrod1989

Postby jrod1989 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:25 pm

In via status checker ...Applied to PT...

I'm sure this has been rehashed a million times, how long does it take to hear about $$?

sergiokun16

Postby sergiokun16 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:45 pm

jack5on wrote:
sergiokun16 wrote:
jack5on wrote:

Good Luck!

Anytime! Seriously best of luck to you. One thing that may be OK is to give the admissions office a call to just confirm that your application was processed correctly. I had mine processed incorrectly from a few schools and only managed to sort it out via a phone call: "Hi .................... I've been in review since X and a few schools had my application processed incorrectly so I wanted to confirm it complete, etc.......might you know when I may hear back." Then atleast your mind will be at ease and its a diplomatic way to get more information.

I just followed up with admissions. Spoke with a very friendly staff member. He said all is as it should be with the application, and he would see what he could do to speed up the process (I didn't ask him to do anything of the sort). Guess it's back to the painful waiting game! lol :D

jack5on

Postby jack5on » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:10 pm

jrod1989 wrote:In via status checker ...Applied to PT...

I'm sure this has been rehashed a million times, how long does it take to hear about $$?

Took me about a week (at first in BLS Connect it showed I was awarded $0, a week later it was updated).

delizabeth10

Postby delizabeth10 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:57 pm

In via email just now- applied 1/31 and had no updates until today.

kckool7

Postby kckool7 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:59 pm

delizabeth10 wrote:In via email just now- applied 1/31 and had no updates until today.

Congrats!

phillyfun

Postby phillyfun » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:15 pm

Got one of those random Brooklyn scholarship raises. I had asked for schools reconsideration, got the "we don't negotiate with terrorists" response about a week ago, then got a letter in the mail with additional scholarship. Interesting.

mip1011

Postby mip1011 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:33 pm

phillyfun wrote:Got one of those random Brooklyn scholarship raises. I had asked for schools reconsideration, got the "we don't negotiate with terrorists" response about a week ago, then got a letter in the mail with additional scholarship. Interesting.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the before and after of the scholarship? I've gotten my best scholarship from BLS, but the school is so much more expensive than most I'm applying to that the scholarship essentially gets canceled out. I want to ask for more, but don't want to seem ungrateful for what I have now.

kckool7

Postby kckool7 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:35 pm

mip1011 wrote:
phillyfun wrote:Got one of those random Brooklyn scholarship raises. I had asked for schools reconsideration, got the "we don't negotiate with terrorists" response about a week ago, then got a letter in the mail with additional scholarship. Interesting.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the before and after of the scholarship? I've gotten my best scholarship from BLS, but the school is so much more expensive than most I'm applying to that the scholarship essentially gets canceled out. I want to ask for more, but don't want to seem ungrateful for what I have now.

Pshhhhh, we're talking about many thousands of dollars. The worst that happens is they tactfully tell you that they can't raise your offer. Give it a shot.

jack5on

Postby jack5on » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:49 pm

kckool7 wrote:
mip1011 wrote:

Pshhhhh, we're talking about many thousands of dollars. The worst that happens is they tactfully tell you that they can't raise your offer. Give it a shot.

Agreed. Remember they now probably need you more than you may need them. Nothing wrong with a little haggling.

sr11ck

Postby sr11ck » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:26 pm

Anyone else, especially part-timers, going to the event on March 13? :)

kckool7

Postby kckool7 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:36 pm

sr11ck wrote:Anyone else, especially part-timers, going to the event on March 13? :)

Not a PTer, but I'll be going.

mawata

Postby mawata » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:44 pm

Been complete since early january and in review since 2/11. Hope to hear something soon :/

mip1011

Postby mip1011 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:38 pm

kckool7 wrote:
mip1011 wrote:

Cool. Cool, cool, cool. I decided today that I'm gonna fly out for the Skadden Arps reception, so I'll try to haggle in person later that week when I check out the school. Thanks for the input.

phillyfun

Postby phillyfun » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:32 am

mip1011 wrote:

I started at 22,500/year. Then got a random 5500/year additional in the mail. I'm also going part-time, so this is a big chunk.

nyranger89

Postby nyranger89 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:45 am

phillyfun wrote:
mip1011 wrote:

I started at 22,500/year. Then got a random 5500/year additional in the mail. I'm also going part-time, so this is a big chunk.

Nice job!

jme91

Postby jme91 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:29 am

mawata wrote:Been complete since early january and in review since 2/11. Hope to hear something soon :/

me too!
complete 1/10, under review since 2/11

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”