Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
baddabing27

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby baddabing27 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:00 pm

YES!

20k schollarship. This is Awesome. I can't believe I got this considering my numbers. I am the master of softs.

Also...Thank you for this because I was like "wait top 80% wtf does that mean EXACTLY?"

So simple, but for some reason, not my first reaction. They were super nice, and seemingly very busy at the admissions office. Mine is Carswell (41,000), and is a top 80% stip. I asked just to make sure, and 80% stipulation is TOP 80, and they know how generous that is compared to a lot of schools.

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:28 pm

Just got the email and I checked my BLS.

$41,000.

The scholarship renewal stipulations are very generous... top 80% - that's a breath of fresh air.

Unfortunately, with the COL, expenses, and the rest of the tuition - that still leaves Brooklyn a pricey school.

I doubt they would be open to negotiating, seems like the $45k scholarship is left to those with high numbers.

ultrasajid

Postby ultrasajid » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:30 pm

Wow, congrats to everyone on the scholarship info. They seem quite generous.

I applied on 1/14 with 166 LSAT and mediocre GPA with an addendum, but I haven't heard word. Last update was 1/18. Anyone else who applied around the same time in the same boat?

kckool7

Postby kckool7 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:43 pm

Carswell here as well. It's a lot of money. Could be a game changer.

ffoxes

Postby ffoxes » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:07 pm

Congrats everyone!

While I'm pleased with my $20k offer, I am certainly looking forward to negotiating with BK when the time comes.
And I'm pleasantly surprised by the very generous 80% stip!

Also, if anyone is looking for a good time (and by good time I mean another hour obsessively clicking through forum pages) hit up the Brooklyn c/o 2015, last year's thread. Helpful information on how our predecessors negotiated scholarships. In fact, it seems BK has been more than willing to add substantially to scholly amounts as the months go by.

Anyone planning on attending the March ASD?

ffoxes

Postby ffoxes » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:15 pm

mg1185 wrote:
ffoxes wrote:
mg1185 wrote:Hey everyone, just a heads up that scholarship info is up today on BLS Connect. Only $20,000 for me... Not enough, hoping to be able to negotiate more once people start withdrawing. But figured you'd all be interested in checking. Good luck!

Same here, $20k. I'm assuming this is a one-time scholly and not per year..?

Not sure... I guess we will get more details in the mail at some point in the near future. Even if it's per year, I don't think it'd be enough for me. My plan is to minimize my law school debt as much as possible. Given the cost of living in Brooklyn this definitely doesn't cut it. I have heard that scholarship amounts may go up as time goes on and people withdraw, even if you don't request it. So fingers are crossed for that. And maybe some need based grants, which I found out today will be decided in March... We shall see.

I'm in the same boat, here's hoping it works out for us both!
By need-based grants, do you mean the needaccess that we file with our parent's info?

zoomzoom88

Postby zoomzoom88 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:24 pm

161/3.3 30k a year

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:28 pm

Fox, numbers?

just curious - if you dont mind.

mg1185

Postby mg1185 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:38 pm

ffoxes wrote:
mg1185 wrote:
ffoxes wrote:
mg1185 wrote:Hey everyone, just a heads up that scholarship info is up today on BLS Connect. Only $20,000 for me... Not enough, hoping to be able to negotiate more once people start withdrawing. But figured you'd all be interested in checking. Good luck!

Same here, $20k. I'm assuming this is a one-time scholly and not per year..?

Not sure... I guess we will get more details in the mail at some point in the near future. Even if it's per year, I don't think it'd be enough for me. My plan is to minimize my law school debt as much as possible. Given the cost of living in Brooklyn this definitely doesn't cut it. I have heard that scholarship amounts may go up as time goes on and people withdraw, even if you don't request it. So fingers are crossed for that. And maybe some need based grants, which I found out today will be decided in March... We shall see.

I'm in the same boat, here's hoping it works out for us both!
By need-based grants, do you mean the needaccess that we file with our parent's info?

Yes, it seems that any additional need-based grants are based on the information they gather from NeedAccess and coordinated by Financial Aid some time in March. I spoke with my assigned admissions dean earlier this morning (I had e-mailed him for assistance with locating affordable housing, since I can't live on campus with my pets, and he was nice enough to call me directly in response), and he provided me with some information on grants... He essentially said not to count on need-based grants, since they don't give many of those out, but that it is a possibility. I honestly think, based on my conversation with him, that we're more likely to see an increase in our scholarships once people withdraw than any substantial need-based grants from Financial Aid. He was very helpful, though- that's one thing that I'll be sad to walk away from if I can't get the money to make Brooklyn possible. Everyone has been so helpful and friendly. Which is certainly not a universal experience when contacting an admissions office- haha.

I just have a hard time justifying over $150k in debt to attend a school in a city with so much competition from higher ranked schools, not only in the area (NYU, Columbia) but from T14 schools as well. My goal is not to make big money... I have no desire to go into "biglaw" like many other people on TLS are aiming for... But I do want to at least be comfortable financially and in a career where I'm doing meaningful work. I don't think that will be possible with that much debt on top of my undergrad loans...

So I'll keep my fingers crossed for scholarship increases for both of us!

mg1185

Postby mg1185 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:44 pm

ffoxes wrote:Congrats everyone!

While I'm pleased with my $20k offer, I am certainly looking forward to negotiating with BK when the time comes.
And I'm pleasantly surprised by the very generous 80% stip!

Also, if anyone is looking for a good time (and by good time I mean another hour obsessively clicking through forum pages) hit up the Brooklyn c/o 2015, last year's thread. Helpful information on how our predecessors negotiated scholarships. In fact, it seems BK has been more than willing to add substantially to scholly amounts as the months go by.

Thanks for the tip! I'm not in the area, so I probably won't be going to the March ASD unless I hear something by then about an increase in scholarship money that makes attending there a more likely possibility.

baddabing27

Postby baddabing27 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:02 pm

I'm planning on going.

Scholarship negotiations should get interesting. I was psyched to get some money, but with 50k/year tuition...lets just say I'm hoping I hear from them again as the deposit date gets closer.

Also - just got the email alert for the scholarship info, so anyone still waiting probably could just check email rather than checking BLS Connect.

ffoxes

Postby ffoxes » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:24 pm

mg1185 wrote:
Yes, it seems that any additional need-based grants are based on the information they gather from NeedAccess and coordinated by Financial Aid some time in March. I spoke with my assigned admissions dean earlier this morning (I had e-mailed him for assistance with locating affordable housing, since I can't live on campus with my pets, and he was nice enough to call me directly in response), and he provided me with some information on grants... He essentially said not to count on need-based grants, since they don't give many of those out, but that it is a possibility. I honestly think, based on my conversation with him, that we're more likely to see an increase in our scholarships once people withdraw than any substantial need-based grants from Financial Aid. He was very helpful, though- that's one thing that I'll be sad to walk away from if I can't get the money to make Brooklyn possible. Everyone has been so helpful and friendly. Which is certainly not a universal experience when contacting an admissions office- haha.

I just have a hard time justifying over $150k in debt to attend a school in a city with so much competition from higher ranked schools, not only in the area (NYU, Columbia) but from T14 schools as well. My goal is not to make big money... I have no desire to go into "biglaw" like many other people on TLS are aiming for... But I do want to at least be comfortable financially and in a career where I'm doing meaningful work. I don't think that will be possible with that much debt on top of my undergrad loans...

Oh, I definitely agree with what you said about holding out for increases in scholly $ rather than need-based grants. And if past years are any indication, that seems like a good possibility as people withdraw and put their money back in the pool.

I'm just concerned about FAFSA/needaccess because I haven't gotten my tax return info from the IRS yet. But that's a personal dilemma.

I'm also sitting on several undergrad loans and am not feeling good about adding too much to that. I never had my sights on biglaw (or big money, for that matter), but am unsettled by the weak prospects out there, in general. I feel that BK with considerable money would be worth it in the NY market - but 40% of tuition simply won't cut it, especially considering COL. I don't walk to way away either though! Not sure yet what my bottom line would be.. but I love BK and would love to attend. Just can't swallow too much more debt!

On a side note - under admissions counselor in my personal profile, it says unspecified. Has everyone else been assigned an admission's dean?

baddabing27

Postby baddabing27 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:42 pm

I'm just concerned about FAFSA/needaccess because I haven't gotten my tax return info from the IRS yet. But that's a personal dilemma.

+1

On a side note - under admissions counselor in my personal profile, it says unspecified. Has everyone else been assigned an admission's dean?

I have been assigned one

mg1185

Postby mg1185 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:54 pm

ffoxes wrote:
mg1185 wrote:

Oh, I definitely agree with what you said about holding out for increases in scholly $ rather than need-based grants. And if past years are any indication, that seems like a good possibility as people withdraw and put their money back in the pool.

I'm also sitting on several undergrad loans and am not feeling good about adding too much to that. I never had my sights on biglaw (or big money, for that matter), but am unsettled by the weak prospects out there, in general. I feel that BK with considerable money would be worth it in the NY market - but 40% of tuition simply won't cut it, especially considering COL. I don't walk to way away either though! Not sure yet what my bottom line would be.. but I love BK and would love to attend. Just can't swallow too much more debt!

You can complete the FAFSA with estimated numbers, and then go back to update it once you do have the official information from what you are filing with the IRS. I just used TurboTax and had my info the same day to put in for FAFSA and NeedAccess. NeedAccess actually didn't even ask for a copy of the return for the student (I assume because we completed FAFSAs), just for the parents' information... so if you have your tax forms filled out, even if they're not officially filed, you can pull the numbers from there. Your parents will need to submit a copy of their tax return to BLS though (fax, mail, or email), so I'd be sure to keep them informed of what they need to do to help you.

I honestly found it odd that they needed my parents info at all. I'm 27, haven't received support from them since I was 19... and certainly won't be receiving any assistance from them in paying for law school. I am BROKE, so I'd qualify for all the aid in the world... but they just might ruin it for me. :?

WanderingPondering

Postby WanderingPondering » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:04 am

kckool7 wrote:Carswell here as well. It's a lot of money. Could be a game changer.

Is the carswell 41k/year or 41k total? What does that leave tuition at per year?

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:45 am

WanderingPondering wrote:
kckool7 wrote:Carswell here as well. It's a lot of money. Could be a game changer.

Is the carswell 41k/year or 41k total? What does that leave tuition at per year?

Its yearly, the tution for BLS is 49k a year.

Their top scholarship only pays 45k - (The Prince Something) Carswell is just below it.

WaitingandHopeful

Postby WaitingandHopeful » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:59 am

In previously years there have been people on lsn with more than 45/year, so maybe they up the offers later

pwnyc127

Postby pwnyc127 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:11 am

In with 41K Scholly. What do you all think about BLS 2011 employment statistics? They're much worse than the 2010 numbers. Making me second guess attending here.

ffoxes

Postby ffoxes » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:31 am

mg1185 wrote:
ffoxes wrote:
mg1185 wrote:

You can complete the FAFSA with estimated numbers, and then go back to update it once you do have the official information from what you are filing with the IRS. I just used TurboTax and had my info the same day to put in for FAFSA and NeedAccess. NeedAccess actually didn't even ask for a copy of the return for the student (I assume because we completed FAFSAs), just for the parents' information... so if you have your tax forms filled out, even if they're not officially filed, you can pull the numbers from there. Your parents will need to submit a copy of their tax return to BLS though (fax, mail, or email), so I'd be sure to keep them informed of what they need to do to help you.

I honestly found it odd that they needed my parents info at all. I'm 27, haven't received support from them since I was 19... and certainly won't be receiving any assistance from them in paying for law school. I am BROKE, so I'd qualify for all the aid in the world... but they just might ruin it for me. :?

Thanks MG! I did Turbo Tax too, weeks ago, so I forgot the specific numbers. I'm sure I can log back in and look 'em up.

ffoxes

Postby ffoxes » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:35 am

baddabing27 wrote:

I'm planning on going.

Scholarship negotiations should get interesting. I was psyched to get some money, but with 50k/year tuition...lets just say I'm hoping I hear from them again as the deposit date gets closer.

Also - just got the email alert for the scholarship info, so anyone still waiting probably could just check email rather than checking BLS Connect.

I definitely want to go, but it would mean taking two days off work for me, which is rough.

Do they offer anything in terms of accommodations? Doesn't seem so from the website, which just suggests some nearby hotels.

ffoxes

Postby ffoxes » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:40 am

dirtrida2 wrote:Fox, numbers?

just curious - if you dont mind.

Oops, didn't see this.

3.1/163

amf728

Postby amf728 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:27 pm

Can someone tell me how long it takes to get your BLS login after receiving the admit email? Really want to know if I got scholly $$.

baddabing27

Postby baddabing27 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:12 pm

Can someone tell me how long it takes to get your BLS login after receiving the admit email? Really want to know if I got scholly $$.

Got my login about a week after - Scholly info came another week after that.

Fox: Haven't seen anything about accommodations. I live pretty close...

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:23 pm

Was awarded prince scholly - 45k/year. Not sure of the stipulations

WaitingandHopeful

Postby WaitingandHopeful » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:26 pm

AlanShore wrote:Was awarded prince scholly - 45k/year. Not sure of the stipulations

I have the same. I think it's top 80% of the class, which is relatively generous.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”