Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
baddabing27
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:38 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby baddabing27 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:34 pm

Yea I'm def hoping for some $$ as well. Same LSAT, worse GPA. Excellent work experience and softs. Brooklyn is for sure a pricey school, but I'd love to go if I can make it work.

dip_spLitter
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 1:17 am

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby dip_spLitter » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:57 pm

mg1185, I have similar numbers and am hoping for a pretty decent scholarship. Cardozo gave me 18k/year so hopefully Brooklyn will be higher. I prefer it to Cardozo and would be willing to turn down acceptances to W&L and W&M purely bc of location if they give me some money. Good luck and let us know what you get if you don't mind

User avatar
baddabing27
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:38 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby baddabing27 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:10 pm

mg1185, I have similar numbers and am hoping for a pretty decent scholarship. Cardozo gave me 18k/year so hopefully Brooklyn will be higher. I prefer it to Cardozo and would be willing to turn down acceptances to W&L and W&M purely bc of location if they give me some money. Good luck and let us know what you get if you don't mind


Out of curiosity why do you prefer BLS to Cardozo? I'm still awaiting my decision from Dozo - still not sure which I like better...

mg1185
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby mg1185 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:30 pm

dip_spLitter wrote:mg1185, I have similar numbers and am hoping for a pretty decent scholarship. Cardozo gave me 18k/year so hopefully Brooklyn will be higher. I prefer it to Cardozo and would be willing to turn down acceptances to W&L and W&M purely bc of location if they give me some money. Good luck and let us know what you get if you don't mind


I definitely will. I haven't made a profile on here with any of my info, but here is the link to my lsn profile- http://lawschoolnumbers.com/mg1185- some additional info is on there as well along with, of course, the other schools I've applied to.

Applied at Cardozo as well, but I also would prefer Brooklyn. As far as location, I'm feeling very torn about that. The cost of living is immense (can't live in campus housing because I have 2 dogs)- and I fear that competition from other big name schools in the area will limit my odds of landing a decent job. It's not like I'm looking to make big money, as it seems many on these boards are- I know with my numbers I'm not getting into a T14 anytime soon, and I'm fine with that. I'll be satisfied if I can pay my bills and spend my life doing something I care about. But I'm worried about taking on debt and not being able to find a job that enables me to pay it back. So... fingers crossed for scholarships, but not sure what my next move will be if I don't get something close to full tuition.

I wonder how much of what I read on these boards in terms of BLS criticism is legitimate, and how much of it is elitism... any thoughts?

dip_spLitter
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 1:17 am

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby dip_spLitter » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:21 pm

baddabing27 wrote:
mg1185, I have similar numbers and am hoping for a pretty decent scholarship. Cardozo gave me 18k/year so hopefully Brooklyn will be higher. I prefer it to Cardozo and would be willing to turn down acceptances to W&L and W&M purely bc of location if they give me some money. Good luck and let us know what you get if you don't mind


Out of curiosity why do you prefer BLS to Cardozo? I'm still awaiting my decision from Dozo - still not sure which I like better...



Honestly just from what I've seen on the websites and what I have read. Pretty meaningless opinion b/c I have not visited either, but just the "vibe" i guess.

dip_spLitter
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 1:17 am

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby dip_spLitter » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:27 pm

mg1185 wrote:
dip_spLitter wrote:mg1185, I have similar numbers and am hoping for a pretty decent scholarship. Cardozo gave me 18k/year so hopefully Brooklyn will be higher. I prefer it to Cardozo and would be willing to turn down acceptances to W&L and W&M purely bc of location if they give me some money. Good luck and let us know what you get if you don't mind


I definitely will. I haven't made a profile on here with any of my info, but here is the link to my lsn profile- http://lawschoolnumbers.com/mg1185- some additional info is on there as well along with, of course, the other schools I've applied to.

Applied at Cardozo as well, but I also would prefer Brooklyn. As far as location, I'm feeling very torn about that. The cost of living is immense (can't live in campus housing because I have 2 dogs)- and I fear that competition from other big name schools in the area will limit my odds of landing a decent job. It's not like I'm looking to make big money, as it seems many on these boards are- I know with my numbers I'm not getting into a T14 anytime soon, and I'm fine with that. I'll be satisfied if I can pay my bills and spend my life doing something I care about. But I'm worried about taking on debt and not being able to find a job that enables me to pay it back. So... fingers crossed for scholarships, but not sure what my next move will be if I don't get something close to full tuition.

I wonder how much of what I read on these boards in terms of BLS criticism is legitimate, and how much of it is elitism... any thoughts?


Yeah, I understand where you are coming from as far as the huge cost. The way I am looking at it is BLS/cardozo don't give me or anyone much of a chance at biglaw and big money, but I have always wanted to live in NYC and if I don't take this chance I probably won't have it again. I like the schools and I love the city. I am from the southeast and will always have connections here if I need them but I want to take the chance there and try to "beat the odds" and make it in nyc if i can.

mg1185
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby mg1185 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:44 pm

dip_spLitter wrote:
mg1185 wrote:
dip_spLitter wrote:mg1185, I have similar numbers and am hoping for a pretty decent scholarship. Cardozo gave me 18k/year so hopefully Brooklyn will be higher. I prefer it to Cardozo and would be willing to turn down acceptances to W&L and W&M purely bc of location if they give me some money. Good luck and let us know what you get if you don't mind


I definitely will. I haven't made a profile on here with any of my info, but here is the link to my lsn profile- http://lawschoolnumbers.com/mg1185- some additional info is on there as well along with, of course, the other schools I've applied to.

Applied at Cardozo as well, but I also would prefer Brooklyn. As far as location, I'm feeling very torn about that. The cost of living is immense (can't live in campus housing because I have 2 dogs)- and I fear that competition from other big name schools in the area will limit my odds of landing a decent job. It's not like I'm looking to make big money, as it seems many on these boards are- I know with my numbers I'm not getting into a T14 anytime soon, and I'm fine with that. I'll be satisfied if I can pay my bills and spend my life doing something I care about. But I'm worried about taking on debt and not being able to find a job that enables me to pay it back. So... fingers crossed for scholarships, but not sure what my next move will be if I don't get something close to full tuition.

I wonder how much of what I read on these boards in terms of BLS criticism is legitimate, and how much of it is elitism... any thoughts?


Yeah, I understand where you are coming from as far as the huge cost. The way I am looking at it is BLS/cardozo don't give me or anyone much of a chance at biglaw and big money, but I have always wanted to live in NYC and if I don't take this chance I probably won't have it again. I like the schools and I love the city. I am from the southeast and will always have connections here if I need them but I want to take the chance there and try to "beat the odds" and make it in nyc if i can.


Well, if you want something badly enough, and approach it as though success is your only option, you can make it happen. No ifs or maybes- decide what you want and bust your ass till you get there. I think a lot of the complaints from people who don't get out of law school and step right into a high paying job come from people who are used to having things handed to them their entire lives. I think, academically, BLS looks pretty solid. And I'm willing to put in some extra leg work in networking and interviews to get where I want. I just hope I get some scholarship money to make it possible.

Good luck with your apps and keep us posted! :D

User avatar
dirtrida2
Posts: 474
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:54 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby dirtrida2 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:14 am

Just accepted via Status Checker.

Went complete last week, app was only in for 2/3 weeks max.

PM me if interested in numbers.

zoomzoom88
Posts: 644
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 4:03 am

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby zoomzoom88 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:30 pm

did everyone get the merit scholarship email that offers will be given ont he 15th?

nolongermissing
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:15 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby nolongermissing » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:13 pm

zoomzoom88 wrote:did everyone get the merit scholarship email that offers will be given ont he 15th?

Yep.

Edit: Well, I don't know about everyone. But I did.

mg1185
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby mg1185 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:18 pm

I received it as well. Way to get me excited with the subject line, just to tell me ”hey, it's coming later!” Uhhh... I knew that.

User avatar
cutebookwormxoxo
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby cutebookwormxoxo » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:34 pm

zoomzoom88 wrote:did everyone get the merit scholarship email that offers will be given ont he 15th?


Yeah, way to get my hopes up, right?

nolongermissing
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:15 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby nolongermissing » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:39 pm

cutebookwormxoxo wrote:
zoomzoom88 wrote:did everyone get the merit scholarship email that offers will be given ont he 15th?


Yeah, way to get my hopes up, right?


There's no way they sent out a mass email to everybody, right?

mg1185
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby mg1185 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:43 pm

nolongermissing wrote:
cutebookwormxoxo wrote:
zoomzoom88 wrote:did everyone get the merit scholarship email that offers will be given ont he 15th?


Yeah, way to get my hopes up, right?


There's no way they sent out a mass email to everybody, right?


I'd guess that's the most likely scenario, actually.

zoomzoom88
Posts: 644
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 4:03 am

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby zoomzoom88 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:58 pm

thats silly on their pt -- getting people's hopes up.

mg1185
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby mg1185 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:11 pm

zoomzoom88 wrote:thats silly on their pt -- getting people's hopes up.


Agreed. We all know information on scholarships is forthcoming from most/all of the schools we've applied to... which is why we're all on the edge of our seats and have no idea where we will be living 6 months from now. An e-mail with the subject "merit scholarship," but with no specific information, is just plain cruel. haha

I have no way of knowing for sure, of course, but my best guess is that it's a mass e-mail. If decisions have supposedly not yet been made in regard to merit scholarships, or at least not definitively, that would seem to make the most sense.

zoomzoom88
Posts: 644
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 4:03 am

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby zoomzoom88 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:19 pm

merit scholarships are stupid anyway. i'd rather just sell my eggs and kidneys. who needs free money when you have expendable body parts.

sonny
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:17 am

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby sonny » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:21 pm

Well, looks like I'm the only one happy with the email haha. At least have a date to expect scholly info by.

zoomzoom88
Posts: 644
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 4:03 am

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby zoomzoom88 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:27 pm

negative email said that info will *begin* to be released then. it may take longer.

User avatar
baddabing27
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:38 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby baddabing27 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:30 pm

Got the mailing as well. - also got a BLS connect email following the scholarship notice.

I guess the real question is: Did anyone NOT receive this alert email?

mg1185
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby mg1185 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:40 pm

zoomzoom88 wrote:negative email said that info will *begin* to be released then. it may take longer.


I thought the same thing... but after thinking about it a bit, I bet we may actually receive info before that. I'd think (and again, just guessing) that they would give themselves more time than they expect to need in order to avoid an influx of calls on Feb. 16th from people on who want to know how much money they're getting.

User avatar
dirtrida2
Posts: 474
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:54 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby dirtrida2 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:29 pm

At least they gave us a time frame on the scholarship news though.

relias
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:08 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby relias » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:53 am

How many "in review" updates did people have until a decision was rendered. I've had 3 in a week... will i get a decision soon??

User avatar
sanjola
Posts: 479
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby sanjola » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:39 pm

relias wrote:How many "in review" updates did people have until a decision was rendered. I've had 3 in a week... will i get a decision soon??



I just got my second one yesterday and a third today after the initial 11/21/12 date. :?

kckool7
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Postby kckool7 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:58 pm

IN today via Status Checker! My applications went out late in the cycle, and this is my first decision, so I'm pretty enthused. Hopeful to get significant $$$ like everyone else. Pretty crazy turnaround time, submitted on 2/2.
Last edited by kckool7 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AustinLu, Automotomayor, brinicolec, BruiseWillis, christinaxcarrie, Google Adsense [Bot], lillawyer2, notnecessarilyproper, ohgosh, potterotter, reydingo, wishywashy and 20 guests