Brooklyn Law c/o 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nedzilla

New

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Post by nedzilla » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:34 pm

ArizonaSecrets wrote:
nedzilla wrote:
I plan on going to the Financial Aid 101 seminar and will inquire further about what "sought" employment actually includes, in terms of the types of jobs, and the narcissist in me initially questions why they have such a policy in the first place. However, I am still very impressed with such a progressive stance on law school tuition. Is this common for other schools?
Please let us know what they say.

Does anybody else find it frustrating that all of their events take place on week days? Very tough for an out of stater with a job.
Will do. One of the few benefits of working in the restaurant industry; flexible morning/daytime hours.

blackjesus

New

Post by blackjesus » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:21 pm

[quote="ArizonaSecrets"][quote="blackjesus"]Long time lurker, first time poster. Anyone had success negotiating with BLS for scholarship money this year?[/quote]

Bump. Who did you email about your negotiations?[/quote]

I sent a letter to admissions, asking them to forward it to the scholarship authority. I only sent it a few days ago though. Conversely, Cardozo sent a reply with great haste, but unfortunately it wasn't enough. I'm wondering if it is completely outrageous to send a second letter to Dozo, This whole thing seems unprofessional, but desperate times blah blah blah...

Also, how do you get quotes to render correctly? This board is what we in the sticks call "a dumb."

aresdude

Bronze

Post by aresdude » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:21 pm

Just withdrew, 100k back in the pot, hopefully it helps someone here!

nyc_girl

New

Post by nyc_girl » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:18 pm

i thought if you applied before 2/1, they would let you know by 4/1... anyone know how true this is?

butonemike

New

Post by butonemike » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:42 pm

I tried to negotiate a better deal and got a simple response: Your GPA, LSAT, and undergrad institution go into a box and the box produces a dollar value. There is no negotiation. I offered to accept greater stipulations for more money, etc. No dice.

Would be very interested to hear tales of successful negotiations.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:43 pm

butonemike wrote:I tried to negotiate a better deal and got a simple response: Your GPA, LSAT, and undergrad institution go into a box and the box produces a dollar value. There is no negotiation. I offered to accept greater stipulations for more money, etc. No dice.

Wow i had no idea UG pedigree was factored into scholly consideration..that's whack

MarcellusWallace

New

Post by MarcellusWallace » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:34 am

Hey guys, been checking-in on this thread for a while. I'm about 90% sure I will be attending BLS, and was wondering if anyone here is considering living off-campus.

sanjola

Bronze

Post by sanjola » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:13 pm

butonemike wrote:I tried to negotiate a better deal and got a simple response: Your GPA, LSAT, and undergrad institution go into a box and the box produces a dollar value. There is no negotiation. I offered to accept greater stipulations for more money, etc. No dice.

Really?! :shock:

sergiokun16

Bronze

Post by sergiokun16 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:45 pm

Anyone attending the info visit tomorrow? I'll be there, and then making a decision about where I want to go over the weekend.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

butonemike

New

Post by butonemike » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:50 pm

MarcellusWallace wrote:Hey guys, been checking-in on this thread for a while. I'm about 90% sure I will be attending BLS, and was wondering if anyone here is considering living off-campus.
Got me thinking...

Lets take a look at the numbers:
Apt Annual Rent (Monthly Rent)
  • Furnished Studio (Feil) 15,271 - 19,732 (1273 - 1644)
    Furnished 1BR (Feil) 19,732 - 21,634 (1644 - 1803)
    Furnished 2BR (Feil) 16,040 - 17,375 (1337 - 1448)
    Furnished 3BR (Feil) 14,036 - 15,372 (1170 - 1281)
    Furnished 3BR: Large Apt (Feil) 17,375 - 18,043 (1448 - 1504)
    Furnished 4BR (Feil) 14,036 - 15,372 (1170 - 1281)
  • Unfurnished Studio (non-Feil) 16,544 (1379)
    Unfurnished 1BR (non-Feil) 16,544 - 19,089 (1379 - 1591)
    Unfurnished 2BR (non-Feil) 12,701 - 16,330 (1058 - 1361)
And the floorplans: http://www.brooklaw.edu/cityandcampus/h ... about.aspx

The case for living on campus: These are very well priced, when considering square footage and neighborhood. You can definitely find cheaper in the surrounding areas but nowhere near as cheap in Brooklyn Heights. You'd be in a great neighborhood and in close proximity to the school. Also, you'd be paying early 90s rent.

The case for living off: Housing is only guaranteed for the first year. After that you go into a lottery. I assume that special allowances may be made for out-of-towners. This assumption is not based on any official information; I make because it seems ridiculous to have your non-native student population face potential displacement every year. The Housing Dept. told me that some people are guaranteed 3 years of housing at admission. You can find lower rent within a reasonable distance and be secure in your lease.

I live in Bay Ridge (South Brooklyn), about 35 minutes from school, and pay $1400 for a pretty big one bedroom. Super safe neighborhood with lots of restaurants, bars, stores. It's not a very young neighborhood; not "cool," as it were. But it's nice and has a good mix of lively and quiet.

I realize that this was not an answer to the question you asked but hopefully it was of some use to you and/or others.
Last edited by butonemike on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

butonemike

New

Post by butonemike » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:54 pm

cusenation wrote:

Wow i had no idea UG pedigree was factored into scholly consideration..that's whack
sanjola wrote:Really?!
It's not an unreasonable metric. A 3.8 from Baruch (my lowly alma mater) is not a 3.8 from Stanford.

MarcellusWallace

New

Post by MarcellusWallace » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:04 pm

butonemike wrote:
MarcellusWallace wrote:Hey guys, been checking-in on this thread for a while. I'm about 90% sure I will be attending BLS, and was wondering if anyone here is considering living off-campus.
Got me thinking...

The case for living on campus: These are very well priced, when considering square footage and neighborhood. You can definitely find cheaper in the surrounding areas but nowhere near as cheap in Brooklyn Heights. You'd be in a great neighborhood and in close proximity to the school. Also, you'd be paying early 90s rent.

The case for living off: Housing is only guaranteed for the first year. After that you go into a lottery. I assume that special allowances may be made for out-of-towners; this is a baseless assumption that I make because it seems ridiculous to have your non-native student population to face potential displacement every year. The Housing Dept. told me that some people are guaranteed 3 years of housing at admission. You can find lower rent within a reasonable distance and be secure in your lease.

I live in Bay Ridge (South Brooklyn), about 35 minutes from school, and pay $1400 for a pretty big one bedroom. Super safe neighborhood with lots of restaurants, bars, stores. It's not a very young neighborhood; not "cool," as it were. But it's nice and has a good mix of lively and quiet.

I realize that this was not an answer to the question you asked but hopefully it was of some use to you and/or others.
Thanks for the comprehensive and very helpful response, butonemike. I am glad to hear that it is actually well-priced. I'll definitely still keep the guaranteed on-campus housing option in mind.

I was looking at apartments in the Lower 4th avenue area, as well as Bay Ridge, and found some decent 2BRs and 3BRs. I know they have a roommate-matching sheet for students planning to utilize on-campus housing, but I am wondering if they have something similar for students looking to live off-campus. I am definitely trying to minimize the COA further by living off-campus and splitting rent with anyone else with the same mindset.

sanjola

Bronze

Post by sanjola » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:57 pm

butonemike wrote:
cusenation wrote:

sanjola wrote:Really?!
It's not an unreasonable metric. A 3.8 from Baruch (my lowly alma mater) is not a 3.8 from Stanford.
It is understandable why Ivy league schools might have more clout than lower tier UG schools, but having it be one of top three factors in measuring scholarship money is news to me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ArizonaSecrets

New

Post by ArizonaSecrets » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:04 pm

I emailed Brooklyn, Fordham and Dozo on the 1st and haven't received a response from any of them regarding negotiating.

nedzilla

New

Post by nedzilla » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:47 pm

MarcellusWallace wrote:
butonemike wrote:
Got me thinking...

The case for living off: Housing is only guaranteed for the first year. After that you go into a lottery. I assume that special allowances may be made for out-of-towners; this is a baseless assumption that I make because it seems ridiculous to have your non-native student population to face potential displacement every year. The Housing Dept. told me that some people are guaranteed 3 years of housing at admission. You can find lower rent within a reasonable distance and be secure in your lease.

Thanks for the comprehensive and very helpful response, butonemike. I am glad to hear that it is actually well-priced. I'll definitely still keep the guaranteed on-campus housing option in mind.

I was looking at apartments in the Lower 4th avenue area, as well as Bay Ridge, and found some decent 2BRs and 3BRs. I know they have a roommate-matching sheet for students planning to utilize on-campus housing, but I am wondering if they have something similar for students looking to live off-campus. I am definitely trying to minimize the COA further by living off-campus and splitting rent with anyone else with the same mindset.
To be honest, as a born and raised New Yorker who is very much considering attending BLS in the fall, I was not able to find a better deal than their BLS sponsored housing, but this was just me on craigslist looking for 2/3/4BR in cheaper BK neighborhoods, no serious house hunting. Everything seemed to be around $1400 bucks a person, which if you are living in the 3/4BR in Feil is less expensive and already furnished. If you add the cost of transportation (metrocards ain't cheap anymore), utilities, internet/tv (BLS only charges around $420 a year!), and furnishing your apt, I feel that it ends up costing more money to find your own living situation. Also, having a year to meet people will also give you a chance to find roommates you would like to live with, if you do not have any yet.

Just my 2 Cents.

shredmeister

New

Post by shredmeister » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:42 pm

just visited yesterday and was very impressed... 90% sure I will be attending in the fall, esp cuz Cardozo turned down my negotiation for higher $$.

The 3L tour-leader has a job already lined up in biglaw and her friends are all well-situated as well (assuming her use of "well-paying" meant over 60k/yr for NYC). She said that students who do not have jobs lined up yet were sought out by the dean personally to assist them in finding interviews.

Much of the focus was on the clinical program and legal writing program at BLS. Seems like a very practical education. It's location is also perfect to find internships, externships, and ultimately, NYC/BK jobs.

Feil Hall was extremely nice, but I have a hard time swallowing the price sticker of >1k/month. Realistically, I know I won't do much better if I want to live in BK or NYC, so its still enticing.

I'm still very wary of the behind-the-scenes issues that may have led to the school's decline in rankings (literally dropping from tier 2 to tier 3). I'm just not sold on it improving in the next 3 years to gain ground on rivals Cardozo and Fordham.I was also turned off by the lack of technology used in class. Profs, from what I hear, use virtually no technology to complement their classes. No powerpoints just seems strange to me.

All in all, I'm genuinely worried about this school declining further if I enroll this fall. It's not a cheap option by any means; it'd cost me about 34k/year in total (tuition, COA, etc) to attend. I'd say, I'm just in need of a logical reason to believe that this school isn't going down the tubes.

patienunderstanding

Bronze

Post by patienunderstanding » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:49 pm

shredmeister wrote:just visited yesterday and was very impressed... 90% sure I will be attending in the fall, esp cuz Cardozo turned down my negotiation for higher $$.

The 3L tour-leader has a job already lined up in biglaw and her friends are all well-situated as well (assuming her use of "well-paying" meant over 60k/yr for NYC). She said that students who do not have jobs lined up yet were sought out by the dean personally to assist them in finding interviews.

Much of the focus was on the clinical program and legal writing program at BLS. Seems like a very practical education. It's location is also perfect to find internships, externships, and ultimately, NYC/BK jobs.

Feil Hall was extremely nice, but I have a hard time swallowing the price sticker of >1k/month. Realistically, I know I won't do much better if I want to live in BK or NYC, so its still enticing.

I'm still very wary of the behind-the-scenes issues that may have led to the school's decline in rankings (literally dropping from tier 2 to tier 3). I'm just not sold on it improving in the next 3 years to gain ground on rivals Cardozo and Fordham.I was also turned off by the lack of technology used in class. Profs, from what I hear, use virtually no technology to complement their classes. No powerpoints just seems strange to me.

All in all, I'm genuinely worried about this school declining further if I enroll this fall. It's not a cheap option by any means; it'd cost me about 34k/year in total (tuition, COA, etc) to attend. I'd say, I'm just in need of a logical reason to believe that this school isn't going down the tubes.
My thoughts as well (regarding the decline). I'm afraid it may "follow" Hofstra's path...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sanjola

Bronze

Post by sanjola » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:02 pm

shredmeister wrote:just visited yesterday and was very impressed... 90% sure I will be attending in the fall, esp cuz Cardozo turned down my negotiation for higher $$.

It is still a tier 2 school at #80.

wonderwall87

New

Post by wonderwall87 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:53 am

just received admissions letter (applied like 3 weeks ago). There's no mention of scholly $$ in this email, anyone know if this will come in a later email or if I should ask? My other admissions emails had the scholly amount included...

nedzilla

New

Post by nedzilla » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:27 am

wonderwall87 wrote:just received admissions letter (applied like 3 weeks ago). There's no mention of scholly $$ in this email, anyone know if this will come in a later email or if I should ask? My other admissions emails had the scholly amount included...
My scholarship email came roughly 10 days after my admissions email. It is shown on your BLS personal profile when it is processed.

j_shaw

New

Post by j_shaw » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:14 pm

Has anyone had any success with negotiating their scholarship at this point?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

butonemike

New

Post by butonemike » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:23 pm

j_shaw wrote:Has anyone had any success with negotiating their scholarship at this point?

That is.... I don't think so. I think they're pretty confident in themselves as an institution and in their ability to fill up their entering class. Also, they know that this forum exists, and that allowing negotiations would open up some highly undesirable floodgates.

Ms. B

New

Post by Ms. B » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:24 pm

butonemike wrote:
j_shaw wrote:Has anyone had any success with negotiating their scholarship at this point?

That is.... I don't think so. I think they're pretty confident in themselves as an institution and in their ability to fill up their entering class. Also, they know that this forum exists, and that allowing negotiations would open up some highly undesirable floodgates.
I doubt that they are that confident in filling their seats at this point with their drop in rank and the reduced number of applicants this year, but I do think they're only going to redistribute money on their terms. From other threads from previous years, it seems like they start increasing offers after the seat deposit deadline once they have a more solidified impression of who is going to attend.

amf728

New

Post by amf728 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:37 pm

Ms. B wrote:
butonemike wrote:

I doubt that they are that confident in filling their seats at this point with their drop in rank and the reduced number of applicants this year, but I do think they're only going to redistribute money on their terms. From other threads from previous years, it seems like they start increasing offers after the seat deposit deadline once they have a more solidified impression of who is going to attend.
Does that mean that if you are trying to negotiate, you hold out on your seat deposit? Don't you risk not getting a spot in the class then?

ArizonaSecrets

New

Post by ArizonaSecrets » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:44 pm

So I never heard back from Fordham or Brooklyn about negotiating my scholarship amount, but Dozo just mailed me a letter offering me another 9k a year. That means BrookLaw is only offering me $4,500 more per year. Don't really know what to do.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”