Brooklyn Law c/o 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jack5on

New

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Post by jack5on » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:50 am

The email they just sent out about "revised merit scholarship..." may have been the biggest tease I've ever gotten.

letitbe1981

New

Post by letitbe1981 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:57 am

Changed from top 85% to top 80% stip, right? Was hoping for an increase haha big tease for sure...

nedzilla

New

Post by nedzilla » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:30 pm

jack5on wrote:The email they just sent out about "revised merit scholarship..." may have been the biggest tease I've ever gotten.
+1. Could not figure out what was revised. I thought it was always an 80% stip. I thought all they did was include some 2012 stats, but I could me mistaken.

ALready tried to negotiate with them about increasing scholly with no luck, but they have already been generous.

Username123

Silver

Post by Username123 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:37 pm

Submitted my app in late January and went complete first week of February. According to my cycle results, I was sure I would be admitted. But I STILL haven't heard back from BLS. It's been over two months wtf. All the other schools I applied to got back to me within a month and a half.

And then I sent three emails in a two week span, with a response two weeks later saying they will get a response back to me soon.

Terrible admissions process with them. Withdrew today before I even heard back. From the admissions experience, I can tell going to BLS would be a shit show.

shredmeister

New

Post by shredmeister » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:44 am

officially enrolling. hard to pass on 41k/yr!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nwlawschool2013

New

Post by nwlawschool2013 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:43 am

Uschoolqb10 wrote:Submitted my app in late January and went complete first week of February. According to my cycle results, I was sure I would be admitted. But I STILL haven't heard back from BLS. It's been over two months wtf. All the other schools I applied to got back to me within a month and a half.

And then I sent three emails in a two week span, with a response two weeks later saying they will get a response back to me soon.

Terrible admissions process with them. Withdrew today before I even heard back. From the admissions experience, I can tell going to BLS would be a shit show.
I am just shy of four months and counting. Going to withdraw as well.

shredmeister

New

Post by shredmeister » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:59 pm

nwlawschool2013 wrote:
Uschoolqb10 wrote:Submitted my app in late January and went complete first week of February. According to my cycle results, I was sure I would be admitted. But I STILL haven't heard back from BLS. It's been over two months wtf. All the other schools I applied to got back to me within a month and a half.

I am just shy of four months and counting. Going to withdraw as well.

They took over 4 months to accept me, then offered me a huge scholarship. Wouldnt count them out until you hear from them if I were you (assuming its a top choice school, otherwise, i guess waiting would be foolish)

jack5on

New

Post by jack5on » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:27 pm

I just reached out to them about housing....they really do like to hustle at this school.....

So yes, you are guaranteed housing first year and can rank the non-feil options for your preference, but apparently there are no available non-feil apartments.... (I.E. everyone will be placed in Feil and pay premium for it). It would have been nice of them to say that before asking for a deposit.

Sure, I guess they never lied directly...but certainly is deceiving

Ms. B

New

Post by Ms. B » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:53 pm

jack5on wrote:I just reached out to them about housing....they really do like to hustle at this school.....

So yes, you are guaranteed housing first year and can rank the non-feil options for your preference, but apparently there are no available non-feil apartments.... (I.E. everyone will be placed in Feil and pay premium for it). It would have been nice of them to say that before asking for a deposit.

I've also gotten a bit of a sheisty vibe from them....can't quite put my finger on it. I guess its just a mixture of their unwillingness to negotiate (kind of makes me feel I've been reduced to a formula), their advertising which seems to focus on Brooklyn being a "hip" area to live, and a lot of administrative screw ups--just got a formal email from them yesterday about why I should deposit followed by another email saying they accidentally sent the one from last year. ALSO registered for a BLS info session visit on the phone back in February only to discover upon my arrival that there was no info session that day! They apologized profusely and my admissions counselor offered to give me a personalized tour of the school so I guess it was fine, but seriously, get it together guys!). This is all despite the plunge in rank. If they are trying to giving me incentive to enroll, they are floundering...I suppose this could be remedied by upping my scholarship to full tuition though :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nwlawschool2013

New

Post by nwlawschool2013 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:34 pm

Ms. B wrote:
jack5on wrote:I just reached out to them about housing....they really do like to hustle at this school.....

I've also gotten a bit of a sheisty vibe from them....can't quite put my finger on it. I guess its just a mixture of their unwillingness to negotiate (kind of makes me feel I've been reduced to a formula), their advertising which seems to focus on Brooklyn being a "hip" area to live, and a lot of administrative screw ups--just got a formal email from them yesterday about why I should deposit followed by another email saying they accidentally sent the one from last year. ALSO registered for a BLS info session visit on the phone back in February only to discover upon my arrival that there was no info session that day! They apologized profusely and my admissions counselor offered to give me a personalized tour of the school so I guess it was fine, but seriously, get it together guys!). This is all despite the plunge in rank. If they are trying to giving me incentive to enroll, they are floundering...I suppose this could be remedied by upping my scholarship to full tuition though :lol:
My entire experience with Brooklyn was disappointing. After waiting 4 months, I withdrew my application before I even got an answer as deposit deadlines have already come & gone. I know the $100 application fee may not seem like much in the grand scheme of things, but to kids who are still paying off student loans from undergrad and about to take out a kazillion more for law school, $100 is a lot of money. It was disappointing and, quite frankly, disrespectful that they didn't make more of an effort to get decisions out in a timely fashion - paying $100 is ridiculous as it is when you know they probably only spend 3 minutes looking at someone's file.

tcny98

New

Post by tcny98 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:07 pm

nwlawschool2013 wrote:
Ms. B wrote:

My entire experience with Brooklyn was disappointing. After waiting 4 months, I withdrew my application before I even got an answer as deposit deadlines have already come & gone. I know the $100 application fee may not seem like much in the grand scheme of things, but to kids who are still paying off student loans from undergrad and about to take out a kazillion more for law school, $100 is a lot of money. It was disappointing and, quite frankly, disrespectful that they didn't make more of an effort to get decisions out in a timely fashion - paying $100 is ridiculous as it is when you know they probably only spend 3 minutes looking at someone's file.
$100? Brooklyn law has no application fee, it's only $21 in LSAC fees.

gunnerbabyx3

New

Post by gunnerbabyx3 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:50 pm

Has anyone elses app been in review since February? :cry:

shredmeister

New

Post by shredmeister » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:21 am

tcny98 wrote:
nwlawschool2013 wrote:
Ms. B wrote:

$100? Brooklyn law has no application fee, it's only $21 in LSAC fees.

+1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ultrasajid

Bronze

Post by ultrasajid » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:08 pm

Withdrew today. $90k back in the pot.

sergiokun16

Bronze

Post by sergiokun16 » Wed May 01, 2013 12:48 pm

I received a merit scholly to BLS, and I deposited. Since then, I've seen alot of others withdrawing, leaving ALOT of money available. Would it be rude/unwise to inquire about any additional scholarship money? If I should, how do you suggest I go about wording such a request?

ultrasajid

Bronze

Post by ultrasajid » Wed May 01, 2013 4:57 pm

I'd ask.

After my withdrawal yesterday, I received a scholarship bump from $30k to $41k, after initially being told after the first deposit deadline that they do not negotiate. On the contrary, it seems they do.

fredmerz

New

Post by fredmerz » Wed May 01, 2013 5:40 pm

sergiokun16 wrote:I received a merit scholly to BLS, and I deposited. Since then, I've seen alot of others withdrawing, leaving ALOT of money available. Would it be rude/unwise to inquire about any additional scholarship money? If I should, how do you suggest I go about wording such a request?
I would definitely inquire. I withdrew after depositing and they even called me to make sure they read my email right and asked if they could do anything to convince me to stay. I'd definitely get in touch and say you would really like to enroll but you have financial concerns or better offers and that you'd like more $$$. Can't hurt!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sergiokun16

Bronze

Post by sergiokun16 » Wed May 01, 2013 6:25 pm

I emailed, I'll let you know what I hear.

lawschool4

New

Post by lawschool4 » Fri May 03, 2013 12:00 pm

I tried negotiating my merit scholarship and was told that they do not negotiate, please let me know if you guys are having any luck negotiating.

tcny98

New

Post by tcny98 » Sat May 04, 2013 11:39 am

lawschool4 wrote:I tried negotiating my merit scholarship and was told that they do not negotiate, please let me know if you guys are having any luck negotiating.
+1

theilluminati

New

Post by theilluminati » Tue May 14, 2013 4:40 pm

anyone else get the waitlist email?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NewYorkL

Bronze

Post by NewYorkL » Wed May 15, 2013 12:34 am

theilluminati wrote:anyone else get the waitlist email?

Nope, what it say?

babyxballerina

Bronze

Post by babyxballerina » Wed May 15, 2013 2:38 am

I did.

NewYorkL

Bronze

Post by NewYorkL » Wed May 15, 2013 10:35 am

NewYorkL wrote:

Nope, what it say?

theilluminati

New

Post by theilluminati » Wed May 15, 2013 10:42 am

Brooklyn Law School still has openings in its full-time program for this fall.

In keeping with the procedures indicated in the materials sent earlier with your wait-list decision, we are now turning to candidates on that list to determine whether or not they are still interested in enrolling at Brooklyn Law School as full-time students.

In considering the possibility of enrollment here, we want you to know that financial aid remains available for qualified candidates. Housing is limited, but still possible, if you act quickly.

· If you believe that you are likely to accept an offer from us and to go on to enroll here, please respond “I WANT TO ATTEND” and let us know how (and when) you may best be reached by telephone.

· If you are unsure as to whether or not you’d accept an offer and enroll here—but wish to explore this further—please respond “I WANT TO EXPLORE”. Again, let us know the best time to reach you by telephone—and that phone number.

· If you have determined that you are no longer interested in enrolling here at all, please respond “WITHDRAW MY APPLICATION”.

Ideally, we’d like to hear from you as soon as possible, but certainly by Friday, May 17, 2013.

Best wishes to you .

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”