Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hopeful16

Re: In at Harvard

Postby hopeful16 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:33 pm

JedBartlett wrote:I'm unmarried/no children, but you guys are right. Seems like most people are married. Strange, haha.

You guys all in the facebook group?

I am! I like checking every so often to see the new people in the group :D

EttaJ

Postby EttaJ » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:54 pm

I'm also married; no kids though. I know this is a small sample, but sheesh--there's a lot of married folk!

honeybadger12

Postby honeybadger12 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:18 am

hopeful16 wrote:
JedBartlett wrote:I'm unmarried/no children, but you guys are right. Seems like most people are married. Strange, haha.

You guys all in the facebook group?

I am! I like checking every so often to see the new people in the group :D

Checking in, just found out this thread existed. Bernaldiaz I like your meme from earlier haha. And unmarried/no kids

efresh88

Postby efresh88 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:33 am

unmarried/no kids as well - just trying to even the playing field :)

I'm from the west coast and wondering if I should bring my car with me if I decide to enroll. I know its prohibitively expensive in NY and DC and they have good enough public transit to go without a car, does this hold true for Boston?

aloyshakaramazov

Postby aloyshakaramazov » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:07 am

efresh88 wrote:unmarried/no kids as well - just trying to even the playing field :)

I'm from the west coast and wondering if I should bring my car with me if I decide to enroll. I know its prohibitively expensive in NY and DC and they have good enough public transit to go without a car, does this hold true for Boston?

You can definitely go without a car, and it's going to be very expensive to have a car in Cambridge. As a fellow West Coaster, I sympathize with your loss of car, but you'll survive :D

JedBartlett

Postby JedBartlett » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:13 am

I have a car but I'm not planning on taking it to Harvard. You can get a lot of what you need in Harvard Square just by walking, and once you are in Boston public transport is awesome.

titansfan

Postby titansfan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:48 am

married, no kids -- i wonder if people who've been out of school longer disproportionately use TLS since they aren't applying at the same time as all of their peers / are looking for a similar community. small sample size, i know, but interesting.

efresh88 wrote:unmarried/no kids as well - just trying to even the playing field :)

i was at harvard undergrad and have lived in lots of neighborhoods in the boston / cambridge/ somerville area during the past 8 years. i think it could make sense to bring a car but only if you are looking to live off-campus in certain areas of cambridge / somerville, where street parking is not so bad and where it's not too hard to find apartments that come with parking spaces. having a car can be great for getting to see things in the greater new england area -- there's lots of great hiking and skiing and such that is way easier to get to with a car. basically, no one i knew had a car during undergrad but after graduating having a car became more common (still maybe 1 out of 10) since your life expands outside of the campus bubble.

that being said, if you are trying to live in boston or as close to law school classes / a subway station as possible, having a car will be much more expensive and probably not worth it. i guess the decision you have to make is whether you are the kind of person who would go for cheaper rent and more space or the kind of person who would prefer the most convenient/walkable location possible.

last thing: the public transportation in boston is pretty great. (i know some new yorkers might disagree but aside from new york it doesn't get a lot better in the u.s.) you can get everywhere within cambridge/ boston really easily, and harvard is really well-connected to the rest of the city -- it's just four subway stops and around 15 minutes from downtown boston.

anyhow, feel free to PM me with more specific questions if you start looking for places. i have a decent understanding of the prices / neighborhoods around here.
Last edited by titansfan on Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hdivine

Postby hdivine » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:14 pm

As far as cars go for those of us who are married with children, what do you all think? If I were single, I would pack a suitcase and simply take a flight out. Having a kid, however, tends to make one less mobile. I swear, my daughter has more stuff (both by quantity and by volume) than I do.

JedBartlett

Postby JedBartlett » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:13 pm

Did you guys (who are still in undergrad.) update Harvard with a new transcript after receiving your final grades for this semester? I just sent mine to them.

honeybadger12

Postby honeybadger12 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:10 pm

You all want to move the convo to the Facebook page so we can start putting names and faces together? Or do people prefer to be anonymous?

hdivine

Postby hdivine » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:28 pm

honeybadger12 wrote:You all want to move the convo to the Facebook page so we can start putting names and faces together? Or do people prefer to be anonymous?

Nobody has posted there yet. It's like being the first person in the office meeting to grab a doughnut.

JedBartlett

Postby JedBartlett » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:11 am

hdivine wrote:
honeybadger12 wrote:You all want to move the convo to the Facebook page so we can start putting names and faces together? Or do people prefer to be anonymous?

Nobody has posted there yet. It's like being the first person in the office meeting to grab a doughnut.

Exactly why I haven't posted there yet, haha.

honeybadger12

Postby honeybadger12 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:40 am

hdivine wrote:

Went for it. Mr. Bartlett, want to follow me up with whatever you were going to say so my post is not on an island? :)

hopeful16

Postby hopeful16 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:39 am

honeybadger12 wrote:
hdivine wrote:

Went for it. Mr. Bartlett, want to follow me up with whatever you were going to say so my post is not on an island? :)

You are awesome. So, how was the doughnut?

nbagirl73

Postby nbagirl73 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:11 am

Maybe HLS admissions prioritized reading applicants with families' applications first thinking that they would need more time to deal with relocating and deciding?

As for financial aid grants, parental contribution is calculated on a sliding scale from age 25-29 and then none after that:
http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/basics/policy/parent.html

I also think I remember hearing that HLS includes money in the budget for a car for people with kids but not people without kids, or something along those lines. My experiences with the financial aid office have been great. You could probably get general questions answered on the phone just by calling them if you want to know soon.

JedBartlett

Postby JedBartlett » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:09 am

honeybadger12 wrote:
hdivine wrote:

So brave, I'll comment on it! :)

yarsten

Postby yarsten » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:27 am

JedBartlett wrote:
honeybadger12 wrote:
hdivine wrote:

So brave, I'll comment on it! :)

So I went ahead and commented as well. Shouldn't be too hard to figure which one I am... Let's get this party started!

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:44 pm

Really happy to say I'm checking in after lurking this thread since its creation with the passionate jealousy of a thousand suns.
I'm not 100% set on Harvard yet, but the only thing keeping me from sending my deposit is the offer I can't refuse from New Haven. Fairly certain I'll be seeing all of you in the fall :)

fwiw, I'm unmarried, but in a long term relationship that will hopefully be continuing, assuming everything beyond our control falls into place.

kingsfield69

Postby kingsfield69 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:06 pm

sabanist wrote:Really happy to say I'm checking in after lurking this thread since its creation with the passionate jealousy of a thousand suns.
I'm not 100% set on Harvard yet, but the only thing keeping me from sending my deposit is the offer I can't refuse from New Haven. Fairly certain I'll be seeing all of you in the fall :)

fwiw, I'm unmarried, but in a long term relationship that will hopefully be continuing, assuming everything beyond our control falls into place.

So glad to see you here, Sabanist! I was rooting hard for your JS2 ... congrats! Best of luck with Yale, though part of me selfishly hopes we'll be classmates in Cambridge.

brownpride

Postby brownpride » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:56 am

Can someone please link to the Facebook page here?

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:23 pm

kingsfield69 wrote:So glad to see you here, Sabanist! I was rooting hard for your JS2 ... congrats! Best of luck with Yale, though part of me selfishly hopes we'll be classmates in Cambridge.

Thanks kingsfield :)
I can't say I'm going to be disappointed no matter where I end up at this point!
Now the debate begins as to whether I withdraw my other apps. I applied to Chicago and Columbia, and even though I know I wouldn't enroll in either over Harvard, I feel like I'd be acting too quickly if I go ahead and pull the plug.
What have y'all done in this regard?

vman21

Postby vman21 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:31 pm

<( '.')>
Last edited by vman21 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UtilityMonster

Postby UtilityMonster » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:42 pm

Count me among the married with no kids. I wish to never have children... They frighten me.

kingsfield69

Postby kingsfield69 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:08 pm

sabanist wrote:
kingsfield69 wrote:So glad to see you here, Sabanist! I was rooting hard for your JS2 ... congrats! Best of luck with Yale, though part of me selfishly hopes we'll be classmates in Cambridge.

Thanks kingsfield :)
I can't say I'm going to be disappointed no matter where I end up at this point!
Now the debate begins as to whether I withdraw my other apps. I applied to Chicago and Columbia, and even though I know I wouldn't enroll in either over Harvard, I feel like I'd be acting too quickly if I go ahead and pull the plug.
What have y'all done in this regard?

I'm pulling out of the safeties today. I'll save the remainder of the withdrawals until after I deposit with HLS and get a confirmation of my seat reservation. I'll probably keep one alternative until late spring ... just in case of any catastrophic/unforeseen events.

zdamico

Postby zdamico » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:28 pm

I'm still in the phase where I believe a good amount of money at Columbia/NYU/Penn/UVA could realistically help me change my mind. I know my heart lies in Cambridge though, especially since I am from there.

Realistically I will probably withdraw from all schools except Columbia and Stanford, and possible one more, at the beginning of second semester.

Single with no kids, by the way :P

ETA: Don't know why I put married there! Still in college in fact
Last edited by zdamico on Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”