Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kittonmittons

Re: In at Harvard

Postby kittonmittons » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:39 pm

Does anyone know how the housing lottery works and/or if you're allowed to give your first seat deposit at both Harvard and somewhere else? I am making a tough choice between two schools, and I don't think I'll know for-sure until April, when I can attend ASW. However someone who went to HLS long, long ago told me the housing lottery gives preference to people who can put their name in for it earlier. If that's true, I would love to be able to do that now (and anything else that is a first-come-first-served kind of dealy). Any thoughts?

JedBartlett

Postby JedBartlett » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:08 pm

kittonmittons wrote:Does anyone know how the housing lottery works and/or if you're allowed to give your first seat deposit at both Harvard and somewhere else? I am making a tough choice between two schools, and I don't think I'll know for-sure until April, when I can attend ASW. However someone who went to HLS long, long ago told me the housing lottery gives preference to people who can put their name in for it earlier. If that's true, I would love to be able to do that now (and anything else that is a first-come-first-served kind of dealy). Any thoughts?

I was under the impression that we can't do housing stuff till April?!

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:36 am

JedBartlett wrote:
kittonmittons wrote:Does anyone know how the housing lottery works and/or if you're allowed to give your first seat deposit at both Harvard and somewhere else? I am making a tough choice between two schools, and I don't think I'll know for-sure until April, when I can attend ASW. However someone who went to HLS long, long ago told me the housing lottery gives preference to people who can put their name in for it earlier. If that's true, I would love to be able to do that now (and anything else that is a first-come-first-served kind of dealy). Any thoughts?

Can't do housing stuff till April, and it's totally randomized. No preference for any 1Ls over other 1Ls, from what I understand. The way the system works is that everyone is assigned a random number within a specified range. The range is then cut in half and people in the first half register at one time and people in the second half go later. There is no way to influence which number you get.

Try this link for more (and more accurate) info

ETA Congrats on the other school! I was pretty glad when you got in because I went complete around the same time

harvardboy24

Postby harvardboy24 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:53 pm

Where did you get your username/password for admitted students site?

kittonmittons

Postby kittonmittons » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:53 pm

Mr. Elshal wrote:
JedBartlett wrote:

Can't do housing stuff till April, and it's totally randomized. No preference for any 1Ls over other 1Ls, from what I understand. The way the system works is that everyone is assigned a random number within a specified range. The range is then cut in half and people in the first half register at one time and people in the second half go later. There is no way to influence which number you get.

Try this link for more (and more accurate) info

ETA Congrats on the other school! I was pretty glad when you got in because I went complete around the same time

Thanks so much, both for the information and the congratulations. Listening to people who attended a law school in the '60s is perhaps a poor choice...hopefully I see you at one or more ASWs!!!!!

JedBartlett

Postby JedBartlett » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:38 pm

harvardboy24 wrote:Where did you get your username/password for admitted students site?

Email^^

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:11 pm

For housing, if you're open to having roommates I must recommend 29 Garden 3 br/2ba. 29 Garden is a renovated building with underground parking about 3-4mins walking distance from WCC. You get in-unit washer and dryer, free utils, a very nice courtyard and a good sized living space for $1K/person. The building also has a furnished common room with TV+cable and several other furnished common areas that can be used for parties. Overall the best option in the entire HUH menu. The only downside is that there are 5 of these units and they go fast.

hdivine

Postby hdivine » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:39 pm

Anybody start the "Need Access Application" yet? I can't determine if Harvard requires it. The Need Access site doesn't list Harvard Law, but this Harvard webpage seems to suggest that you need it (under Family Information).

http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/ ... arent.html

I think every other school in the T14 besides Berkeley uses it.

JedBartlett

Postby JedBartlett » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:53 pm

Anyone else get that email about our HLS email accounts being moved to Gmail? Not entirely sure what it meant

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:56 pm

JedBartlett wrote:Anyone else get that email about our HLS email accounts being moved to Gmail? Not entirely sure what it meant

I haven't checked that email since the day I got it. Do they send stuff to it? I don't even remember my password I don't think.

domino

Postby domino » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:05 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
JedBartlett wrote:Anyone else get that email about our HLS email accounts being moved to Gmail? Not entirely sure what it meant

I haven't checked that email since the day I got it. Do they send stuff to it? I don't even remember my password I don't think.

There's been a little stuff--I have an email about financial aid info coming soon and another one about setting up online accounts.

Also got the GMail email! Sounds good, I'm happy with things being run by the Googleplex.

JedBartlett

Postby JedBartlett » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:19 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:

Yeah, and if you took the online survey a lot of professors at HLS send you emails too. You should check it^^

spicyyoda17

Postby spicyyoda17 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:10 pm

Today I finally got the bombardment of emails from professors and groups at HLS based on my answers to the admitted student survey.

I will say that despite knowing each email is a template they use across many students, it was still really nice. For being such a large school, I am really impressed by their efforts to make students aware of how HLS would be a great personal fit. Definitely increased my desire and excitement to attend!

Well done Harvard . . . well done.

JedBartlett

Postby JedBartlett » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:40 pm

spicyyoda17 wrote:Today I finally got the bombardment of emails from professors and groups at HLS based on my answers to the admitted student survey.

I will say that despite knowing each email is a template they use across many students, it was still really nice. For being such a large school, I am really impressed by their efforts to make students aware of how HLS would be a great personal fit. Definitely increased my desire and excitement to attend!

Agreed. Although I did get a bombardment of the exact same emails about a month later, haha.

2013hopeful:D

Postby 2013hopeful:D » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:45 pm

spicyyoda17 wrote:Today I finally got the bombardment of emails from professors and groups at HLS based on my answers to the admitted student survey.

Still haven't received mine :/ ... On a funny note, I remember selecting the "older and wiser" student box thinking it would be 2Ls and 3Ls dishing advice, later to realize this is a group for older students... I’m 1 yr out of undergrad lol

zdamico

Postby zdamico » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:38 pm

Still waiting on mine...let's go Harvard!

anela00

Postby anela00 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:40 pm

I'm really excited to get both the emails and my snail mail packet, but I haven't gotten either yet! I need to work on this whole patience thing.

kingsfield69

Postby kingsfield69 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:04 pm

I've gotten a ton the past few days myself -- truly impressive. Harvard is debunking the myth of a cold and impersonal experience. I'd have to say warm and personal.

kingsfield69

Postby kingsfield69 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:04 pm

Wormfather wrote:Hello boys (and girls), I'm in. Where's the scotch.

Congrats homey! Awesome!

Postby 2013hopeful:D » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:31 pm

haha Congrats!!

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:28 pm

Congrats on the night-time JS2! That's awesome

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:25 am

Hey all, awesome to be in this thread! I'm making the ol' Stanford vs. Harvard choice now, but I have to say I like the Harvard waiting and in threads a lot more :)

If any of you are choosing/chose Harvard over Stanford, I'd be very interested to hearing your thought process btw.

Postby 2013hopeful:D » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:58 am

Yukos wrote:Hey all, awesome to be in this thread! I'm making the ol' Stanford vs. Harvard choice now, but I have to say I like the Harvard waiting and in threads a lot more :)

If any of you are choosing/chose Harvard over Stanford, I'd be very interested to hearing your thought process btw.

I have been reading up on this a lot. Word on the street is that the career opportunities in the legal field are relatively the same. Stanford is more tight knit community because it's smaller, but Harvard has more to offer in terms of orgs, clubs, activities, and alumni because it's larger. The Harvard name has no trump with the younger legal crowd who know the deal, yet the Harvard name still rings a delicate chime of joy in older generations and is a huge trump to everyone outside the legal field. At the end of the day, it comes down to your own personal preference.

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:44 am

Yukos wrote:Hey all, awesome to be in this thread! I'm making the ol' Stanford vs. Harvard choice now, but I have to say I like the Harvard waiting and in threads a lot more :)

Welcome to the thread!
Also, I vaguely remember people having this discussion on page 13 of this thread (give or take a page) if that helps

Spritzpiggy

Postby Spritzpiggy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:57 am

Seriously honored to be posting in this thread. Still in disbelief but very excited :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”