Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JedBartlett

Re: In at Harvard

Postby JedBartlett » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:04 pm

EttaJ wrote:The bumper sticker is small. Make sure to check the booklets, as it may have found its way in between the pages. If it is still not there, just call the admissions office. I'm sure they will send you another one.

Which ASW will everyone here attend--March or April? My JS2 was a while ago now, but I am still so excited!!!

Shall do, shall do :).

UtilityMonster

Postby UtilityMonster » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:11 pm

I've never liked those circular acronym bumper stickers with the black font and white background (usually because I have no idea what they mean). I don't want to advertise that I go to HLS, anyway. I've already been too embarrassed to tell people I got into Harvard when they ask me. I oftentimes just say something like "I am probably going to go to a school in Cambridge Massachusetts, right outside Boston," and they usually have no idea what I am talking about (welcome to the South).

Telling people you go to HLS in the South is like telling them "I'm better than you" - insecurities abound.

Stinson

Postby Stinson » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:13 pm

Congrats to all the 2016 admits from a current 3L.

JedBartlett

Postby JedBartlett » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:17 pm

UtilityMonster wrote:I've never liked those circular acronym bumper stickers with the black font and white background (usually because I have no idea what they mean). I don't want to advertise that I go to HLS, anyway. I've already been too embarrassed to tell people I got into Harvard when they ask me. I oftentimes just say something like "I am probably going to go to a school in Cambridge Massachusetts, right outside Boston," and they usually have no idea what I am talking about (welcome to the South).

Telling people you go to HLS in the South is like telling them "I'm better than you" - insecurities abound.

I know what you mean. My UG is despised in my state; I avoid wearing its merchandise at all costs.

UtilityMonster

Postby UtilityMonster » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:22 pm

You go to Duke?

JedBartlett

Postby JedBartlett » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:28 pm

On a more random note: How many people are 100 percent positive they will be attending Harvard? I am, but I am curious about the rest of you and about what you are using/thinking about to make your decisions.

As I'm sure many of you are getting scholarships at other schools, which schools would you attend--if you receive a scholarship--over Harvard?

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:57 pm

UtilityMonster wrote:I've never liked those circular acronym bumper stickers with the black font and white background (usually because I have no idea what they mean). I don't want to advertise that I go to HLS, anyway. I've already been too embarrassed to tell people I got into Harvard when they ask me. I oftentimes just say something like "I am probably going to go to a school in Cambridge Massachusetts, right outside Boston," and they usually have no idea what I am talking about (welcome to the South).

Ooh UM, I know you have good intentions, but this is actually a notoriously obnoxious thing to do haha. TLS particularly bashes on people who say this. Like a lot of people look at it as false modesty (I know this isn't the case for you) -- like the Harvard student doesn't want to embarrass the person they are talking to, as if they think they are sparing them by not bringing up their superiority . I think people are a lot less likely to be annoyed if you just say Harvard but don't make a big deal out of it.

A quick Google search found this: http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/35xis6/

JedBartlett wrote:On a more random note: How many people are 100 percent positive they will be attending Harvard? I am, but I am curious about the rest of you and about what you are using/thinking about to make your decisions.

As I'm sure many of you are getting scholarships at other schools, which schools would you attend--if you receive a scholarship--over Harvard?

Jed, I think YS (if I'm fortunate enough to get either) would definitely get serious consideration. Columbia or Chicago with a named scholarship would make the decision very difficult as well. I want Boston biglaw, though, so is there really any option better for that than Harvard? Inputs would be appreciated I don't know much about the Boston market. I would imagine Harvard is probably the best choice?

Stinson

Postby Stinson » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:28 pm

Having gone through EIP for Boston firms, I would say Harvard will set you up very nicely for any firm here. Boston firms do generally want to know something about ties, and HLS gives you a free tie to Boston. That said, I cannot seriously imagine that Yale or Stanford would be a disadvantage as long as you can speak convincingly about wanting to work in Boston. The only other thing to mention is that when you want to learn more about specific firms, that is extremely easy at HLS because of the number of HLS alums at Boston firms. (I don't know about the firm composition overall, but as an example huge percentages of Ropes and Gray's SA classes are from Harvard.)

If you have any particular questions about HLS and Boston, send me a message.

drinion

Postby drinion » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:03 pm

haveahat wrote:Thanks for making a thread for people who are not ready to commit yet (though I know you are).

Shouldn't this thread be in the "Choosing a Law School" section?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:14 pm

HLS 1L here: Feel free to ask or PM any Qs you have about Harvard.

Or visit the Ask a Law Student section and post on the Harvard thread.

helix23

Postby helix23 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:14 am

Why am I lurking this thread? smh

JedBartlett

Postby JedBartlett » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:26 am

helix23 wrote:Why am I lurking this thread? smh

Best of luck my man :).

helix23

Postby helix23 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:32 am

JedBartlett wrote:

lol thx. didnt mean to derail the thread. please continue, you lucky bastards. LIVE IT UP

JedBartlett

Postby JedBartlett » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:31 am

helix23 wrote:
JedBartlett wrote:

lol thx. didnt mean to derail the thread. please continue, you lucky bastards. LIVE IT UP

Thanks my man.

darkgrayclouds

Postby darkgrayclouds » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:31 pm

Does anyone know when scholarships start being released?

LaMuSayonga

Postby LaMuSayonga » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:14 am

Probably a dumb question, but when is everyone going to start withdrawing their other applications? I'm thinking about withdrawing from everywhere besides YSCCNB this week, but didn't know if that would be a bad idea to do so this early.

JedBartlett

Postby JedBartlett » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:47 pm

LaMuSayonga wrote:Probably a dumb question, but when is everyone going to start withdrawing their other applications? I'm thinking about withdrawing from everywhere besides YSCCNB this week, but didn't know if that would be a bad idea to do so this early.

I'm absolutely set on Harvard, but I want to wait until I sign the form/send it in to withdraw from other schools. Once I do that, I'll likely withdraw from everywhere.

JedBartlett

Postby JedBartlett » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:24 pm

Just signed and sealed my deposit form/the $500 big ones. It'll be on its way to Harvard tomorrow. Has anyone else deposited yet?

Also, do you guys know whether the college certification must be sent after the last academic year is over? Or can we send it whenever we want?

haveahat

Postby haveahat » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:48 am

JedBartlett wrote:Just signed and sealed my deposit form/the $500 big ones. It'll be on its way to Harvard tomorrow.

AHH! That is so exciting! Congratulations!

JedBartlett

Postby JedBartlett » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:21 pm

haveahat wrote:
JedBartlett wrote:Just signed and sealed my deposit form/the $500 big ones. It'll be on its way to Harvard tomorrow.

AHH! That is so exciting! Congratulations!

Thanks! :)

kingsfield69

Postby kingsfield69 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:22 pm

Checkin' in. Got the JS2 today. My cycle is over. I'm moving to Cambridge.

EttaJ

Postby EttaJ » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:27 pm

kingsfield69 wrote:Checkin' in. Got the JS2 today. My cycle is over. I'm moving to Cambridge.

Congrats! :D

zdamico

Postby zdamico » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:28 pm

Checking in! Got the JS2 today.

JedBartlett wrote:On a more random note: How many people are 100 percent positive they will be attending Harvard? I am, but I am curious about the rest of you and about what you are using/thinking about to make your decisions.

I applied to Stanford and am waiting on them as well. Realistically, only S or Columbia with half/full scholarship could make me even question Harvard. Although even then, I am from Boston and it has been my dream school for a long time.

haveahat

Postby haveahat » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:45 pm

Congrats to all the new JS2s! Welcome!

yarsten

Postby yarsten » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:32 pm

yeah!!! JS2 today!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”