Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JedBartlett

Re: In at Harvard

Postby JedBartlett » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:27 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:
JedBartlett wrote:I also read "One L" (corny Christmas gift from an uncle). Can any of you current HLS students attest to how true/untrue it is?

That book chronicles the author's time at HLS during the 70s. Any HLS grad will tell you the school is completely different now. IMO competition is far less than it was then. Many people in my section just want to stay away from LPs and they're good. I haven't met one person gunning for the decorative DS grade, either. I get the feeling that my section is more laid back than most in that respect, though. Also, most people have interviews for summer work already and people seem generally happy.

In response to your question, I have no idea how true the book is as I know nothing about the author's life. As to how well it depicts life at HLS in 2012/13? IMO, it isn't an accurate depiction insofar as grades/competition are concerned.

That's what I was thinking. Thanks guys. I'll check out the suggested book, too. ^^

domino

Postby domino » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:30 pm

hola all! any 12/21 admits receive their binders yet?

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:38 pm

domino wrote:hola all! any 12/21 admits receive their binders yet?

Nope. Still faithfully singing that Blues Clues song every time the mail man comes...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5bRaGuG4XE

rocktower3

Postby rocktower3 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:50 pm

Nope, nothing yet!

JedBartlett

Postby JedBartlett » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:52 pm

Might take a while cause of the holidays

edgeofthenight

Postby edgeofthenight » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:25 am

She said in my phone message that they weren't sending anything out until the new year.

domino

Postby domino » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:45 am

ah good to know thanks. happy new year

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:54 am

edgeofthenight wrote:

She said in my phone message that they weren't sending anything out until the new year.

My status checker says it was sent, but I hardly remember a word from my phone conversation with her so they may have updated the status checker without sending it out.

JedBartlett

Postby JedBartlett » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:22 pm

Mr. Elshal wrote:
edgeofthenight wrote:

My status checker says it was sent, but I hardly remember a word from my phone conversation with her so they may have updated the status checker without sending it out.

I think their office probably opened today so at latest I'm sure it was sent today^^

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:46 pm

Just got the chance to go by my school address and pick up my admission packet! I think it's finally sinking in...

After a heart-to-heart with the boyfriend last night, we figured out that it would be financially better for the two of us to move up separately, so it looks like I'm living on campus next year! I'm starting to get really excited. I think I like North best, but I'm open to recommendations from our resident helpful students.

JedBartlett

Postby JedBartlett » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:02 pm

sabanist wrote:Just got the chance to go by my school address and pick up my admission packet! I think it's finally sinking in...

After a heart-to-heart with the boyfriend last night, we figured out that it would be financially better for the two of us to move up separately, so it looks like I'm living on campus next year! I'm starting to get really excited. I think I like North best, but I'm open to recommendations from our resident helpful students.

I'll be living on campus too; I wish we could start picking before April.

But yeah, some questions about campus life:

1. I assume everyone gets a single, right?

2. What is the best dorm?

3. What are the advantages/disadvantages of living on campus? How are people who live on campus generally different from those living off campus (I assume they are younger)?

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:25 pm

JedBartlett wrote:
sabanist wrote:Just got the chance to go by my school address and pick up my admission packet! I think it's finally sinking in...

I'll be living on campus too; I wish we could start picking before April.

But yeah, some questions about campus life:

1. I assume everyone gets a single, right?

2. What is the best dorm?

3. What are the advantages/disadvantages of living on campus? How are people who live on campus generally different from those living off campus (I assume they are younger)?

1. yeah, all singles

2. hastings is the best quality, but maybe not the best from a cost/quality ratio perspective

advantages: no commute to campus, more social opportunities (especially w/ section mates that live on your floor), central location (most parties and social events are within walking distance of campus), nine month lease (no need to sublet), easy to move-in and move-out, easy to manage utilities (for apartment you can pay a lot in utilities, especially heating bill, which is a hassle to worry about), cheaper (at least gropius).

disadvantages: shared bathroom, less food opportunities (lots of eating from the cafe), can't host social activities, small rooms, feels transient (you are living here for 3 years after all, might as well act like it).

2013hopeful:D

Postby 2013hopeful:D » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:41 pm

englawyer wrote:
JedBartlett wrote: 2. What is the best dorm?

2. hastings is the best quality, but maybe not the best from a cost/quality ratio perspective

How are dorms selected? Do you rate them; first-come first-served?

If you are sure you are attending HLS, is ASW worth traveling across the country for? What sort of events happen at ASW?

JedBartlett

Postby JedBartlett » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:58 pm

2013hopeful:D wrote:
englawyer wrote:

If you are sure you are attending HLS, is ASW worth traveling across the country for? What sort of events happen at ASW?

Also interested in what ASW is like.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:01 am

ASW is not worth travelling across the country for if you've already decided to go to Harvard. It's worth going to if you're undecided, though.

taf889

Postby taf889 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:43 pm

hi all! just curious what other people are doing with their other applications--withdrawing, or holding on to them for some kind of financial leverage? (I'm not even sure other acceptances/scholarship offers can be used in this way with Harvard for merit aid, can they?)

can't wait to meet those of you who enroll this fall, I will definitely be in cambridge!

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:36 pm

englawyer wrote:

1. If you can afford it, North is the best dorm because you get your own bathroom. Hastings is nice because you get a big common room, but shared bathrooms and only one kitchen for all of them makes it not as nice. Gropius is much more social, but it's decrepit.

2. Only advantage of living on campus is that it's much more social, but there are other ways to be social. You can get 2BR apartments near campus for $1,100-1,200 per month, so it's not like it's a lot more expensive.

3. Dorms are selected via a lottery system. After that there's a list of available dorms and you get to pick from what's available.

Postby 2013hopeful:D » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:18 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:3. Dorms are selected via a lottery system. After that there's a list of available dorms and you get to pick from what's available.

If you enter the lottery system and don't like your "winnings", could you decline to live on campus after? If yes, by what time are all the lottery "winners" revealed? ...(hopefully with time left to still find other options, if one is not happy with their assignment)

kingsfield69

Postby kingsfield69 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:21 pm

taf889 wrote:hi all! just curious what other people are doing with their other applications--withdrawing, or holding on to them for some kind of financial leverage? (I'm not even sure other acceptances/scholarship offers can be used in this way with Harvard for merit aid, can they?)

can't wait to meet those of you who enroll this fall, I will definitely be in cambridge!

The financial aid process w/ HLS is pretty much impervious to merit factors and they don't do merit aid, so once you decide on HLS, nothing to gain by staying in your other admit pools.

When I decided on Harvard (.0001 ns after JS2), I withdrew everywhere else to open up slots for others. When you deposit with HLS, they ask you to withdraw from other admit pools and inform them of any pending apps.

Congrats! See you in Cambridge!

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:27 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:3. Dorms are selected via a lottery system. After that there's a list of available dorms and you get to pick from what's available.

If you enter the lottery system and don't like your "winnings", could you decline to live on campus after? If yes, by what time are all the lottery "winners" revealed? ...(hopefully with time left to still find other options, if one is not happy with their assignment)

I believe the lottery system is some time in March or April. Plenty of time to find an apartment provided you can visit Boston at some point.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:44 pm

2013hopeful:D wrote:If you enter the lottery system and don't like your "winnings", could you decline to live on campus after? If yes, by what time are all the lottery "winners" revealed? ...(hopefully with time left to still find other options, if one is not happy with their assignment)

Every incoming 1L who enters the lottery will get a room, so it's not "winning" per se, it's just who picks first etc. It you pick, try to stay away from rooms really close to the lounge on that particular floor. It can get pretty loud.

If you don't fancy the options available to you by the time it's your turn to pick, you can decline but once you sign the agreement (you have to e-sign the agreement before it becomes official), there's a penalty to withdraw. People usually have a time limit to make a pick before they lose the pick.

It also doesn't matter when you enter the lottery, so long as you do it before the deadline. The initial number you're assigned is irrelevant because the actual drawing is random. What happens is after the deadline (which is at a later date), positions are randomly generated and then people pick according to where they fall in line. As a general matter, don't worry about it except it's probably better to pick a floor where your gender's bathroom is on. You get to see the building's map before you choose.

If you have questions about living in Gropius in general, I'd be happy to answer.

Postby 2013hopeful:D » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:51 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:If you have questions about living in Gropius in general, I'd be happy to answer.

How was your experience in Groupius? Was it your first choice? Do you agree with the "social, but decrepit" description? Are all the dorms relatively the same distance from campus?

hdivine

Postby hdivine » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:00 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
englawyer wrote:

1. If you can afford it, North is the best dorm because you get your own bathroom. Hastings is nice because you get a big common room, but shared bathrooms and only one kitchen for all of them makes it not as nice. Gropius is much more social, but it's decrepit.

2. Only advantage of living on campus is that it's much more social, but there are other ways to be social. You can get 2BR apartments near campus for $1,100-1,200 per month, so it's not like it's a lot more expensive.

3. Dorms are selected via a lottery system. After that there's a list of available dorms and you get to pick from what's available.

I assume 1100-1200 per person, right?

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:21 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:If you have questions about living in Gropius in general, I'd be happy to answer.

How was your experience in Groupius? Was it your first choice? Do you agree with the "social, but decrepit" description? Are all the dorms relatively the same distance from campus?

Gropius has been pretty great but I can see how some people might not like it. It was my first option because I was aiming for the cheapest place that didn't require a deposit. It's pretty close to where you'll have your classes and the library is within walking distance...like right there. There's also a gym behind the library. It's pretty basic furnishings. If you cook a lot, I can see how that might be a problem (I don't cook) because there's usually one kitchen on the floor and the fridge in the kitchen is almost always full. You could however get one of those little dorm fridges. The rooms in gropius are usually small. They used to have some pictures of it on Flickr(sp?) which is more or less accurate. They've done some renovations too. In general, it's ok but it could be better. It really depends on what you're used to and what you're willing to tolerate. As far as convenience, it doesn't get any closer but you can also get apartments that are as close as Gropius (on the other side of the street), I don't know the price for those.

You can socialize without being in Gropius. Most of the fun stuff is going to be coordinated by section and usually occurs at a bar so you'll be good to go. I guess the advantage of Gropius is that you get to know people from other sections. It's entirely possible to go through HLS without knowing people from other sections absent some chance meeting or through student groups. I have made friends I wouldn't otherwise have made if I didn't live in Gropius but it's not that big a deal.

The thing I don't particularly like is that the closest eating places are on Harvard Square, which is not that far but it sorta blows to do the journey in winter (it gets pretty cold). However, most apartments close to the campus are going to have that problem. You could dine at the Hark too, which is the cafeteria in the same building as where you'll have your classes.

Postby 2013hopeful:D » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:39 pm

Thank you!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”