Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JedBartlett

Re: In at Harvard

Postby JedBartlett » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:23 pm

questcertainty wrote:Has anybody else who got in today received the email JS mentioned? Also, does the status checker change? Just curious -- would love to show my dad.

The status checker changes...dunno how long it takes. I remember I checked it some time after being accepted and they put a nice little message at the top, though.

Hope that helps!

edamame

Postby edamame » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:27 pm

questcertainty wrote:Has anybody else who got in today received the email JS mentioned? Also, does the status checker change? Just curious -- would love to show my dad.

Didn't receive the email yet. I keep refreshing my browser.

edamame

Postby edamame » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:35 pm

JedBartlett wrote:

The status checker changes...dunno how long it takes. I remember I checked it some time after being accepted and they put a nice little message at the top, though.

Hope that helps!

My status checker officially changed. Congrats, everyone!

questcertainty

Postby questcertainty » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:36 pm

edamame wrote:
JedBartlett wrote:

Hope that helps!

My status checker officially changed. Congrats, everyone!

Ditto! Congrats! And now to withdraw everywhere else . . .

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:49 pm

The email came around 2 hours after the phone call IIRC.

edgeofthenight

Postby edgeofthenight » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:06 pm

Phone call at 1:05pm EST, e-mail at 4:30. Status checker has changed, but I haven't checked it since I went complete, so no idea when that happened :)

JedBartlett

Postby JedBartlett » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:40 pm

edgeofthenight wrote:Phone call at 1:05pm EST, e-mail at 4:30. Status checker has changed, but I haven't checked it since I went complete, so no idea when that happened :)

Haha, you're like me. Half my friends checked their status checkers like 10 times a day. :o

Nala7892

Postby Nala7892 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:50 pm

I have been looking longingly and enviously at this thread for awhile while not thinking joining you guys would ever be a real thing... but I'm in as of today! I think I'll be going to the March ASW

Also, in UG, no kids or significant other!

edgeofthenight

Postby edgeofthenight » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:52 pm

JedBartlett wrote:
edgeofthenight wrote:Phone call at 1:05pm EST, e-mail at 4:30. Status checker has changed, but I haven't checked it since I went complete, so no idea when that happened :)

Haha, you're like me. Half my friends checked their status checkers like 10 times a day. :o

Hahaa, only because I knew Harvard's wasn't going to change. I was refreshing my e-mail connnsttantly pre-JS1.

domino

Postby domino » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:22 am

Have been creeping on this thread for a while but now checking in; still kind of can't believe it. Will probably be going to the March ASW. Hopefully will get to meet some of you there!

lawlcat4179

Postby lawlcat4179 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:24 am

Officially checking in!!! I'm probably going to do a two-year deferral, but it's nonetheless nice to know that I've officially been accepted. It's been a long day of celebrating! Hope to see you guys in Cambridge!

2013hopeful:D

Postby 2013hopeful:D » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:25 am

JS2 today.. well yesterday. Checking in. I tired to read thru and catch up but I have to simply move forward. Extremely excited. Harvard is my #1... it will be hard to convince me to go elsewhere.

Starships

Postby Starships » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:48 pm

Checking in and looking forward to ASW and meeting some folks. Two questions

1) Are there 1L textbook lists floating around from previous years? My searches have only shown that textbook assignments are given out with section assignments, but I was still hoping to look at some example lists from previous years (which I can't find :roll: )

2) Does anyone have any information other than the website FAQ's about deferrals? Specifically, does one need to confirm attendance/ put down a seat deposit before applying for a deferral? And what constitutes "applying in a timely manner" (for a deferral)?

Thanks again and congrats to everyone!

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:53 pm

aloyshakaramazov wrote:
efresh88 wrote:unmarried/no kids as well - just trying to even the playing field :)

I'm from the west coast and wondering if I should bring my car with me if I decide to enroll. I know its prohibitively expensive in NY and DC and they have good enough public transit to go without a car, does this hold true for Boston?

You can definitely go without a car, and it's going to be very expensive to have a car in Cambridge. As a fellow West Coaster, I sympathize with your loss of car, but you'll survive :D

Love my car and it's not expensive at all. I'm a 2L, so I've been hear a while and I've never had trouble. Gas is more expensive than most of country but if you're coming from Cali you're used to that. I think that most people who tell you that owning a car is very expensive here, haven't tried to do it.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:04 pm

JedBartlett wrote:
spicyyoda17 wrote:
JedBartlett wrote:This thread is alive. YES.

JB - I saw you sent in your deposit. What kind of law/career you interested in pursuing? What is it about Harvard that's led you to making your decision already?

Congrats, btw, and being done with your cycle - that's huge!

I'm intensely interested in international law (and also constitutional law). I will probably be going down the path of legal academia or some sort of foreign or domestic government work. Harvard is amazing for all of those things. It arguably has some of best scholars of international law/relations in the world at their law school (Dirshowitz, anyone?).

The deciding factor that makes me choose Harvard over somewhere like Yale or Stanford is my experience there. I did a month-long program at Harvard a few years ago (took an undergraduate course on law) and absolutely loved the environment. It was literally one of the best months of my life. I hung out mostly at the undergraduate campus but also in the law school. I really liked the general environment/the attitude of Harvard students. Everyone is amazing. It is intellectually stimulating without being stuffy, and Harvard definitely has whatever resources you need to pursue your dreams. I also love Cambridge/Boston, and I like being in close proximity to stores/shops/restaurants. I am definitely an urbanite.

Finally, I like that Harvard has a large class. I know USNWR might count that as a negative, but I am a really social guy and I want to be able to meet a lot of people. I think the large class size is a plus both socially and academically, both for social life and for future connections.

If I hadn't done a program at Harvard, I probably wouldn't be as sure as I am about my deposit; but having done that program, having spent a month there and engaged myself with the student body at both the law school and undergrad campus, I don't think there is any place I'd rather spend three years of my life at than Harvard Law.

This all sounds really corny/disorganized (sorry, studying for finals), but HLS really is a special place. I'm pumped to attend next year :).

Exactly the reason I picked HLS. You will not be disappointed with your choices here. From having an opportunity to study at the University of Cambridge (and get a degree), the tremendous amount of international firms at EIP, LLM students from everywhere, being able to cross register at the Kennedy school (or get a joint degree) and the government connections that come with the degree. Great choice and I hope you enjoy your time here as much as I am.

JedBartlett

Postby JedBartlett » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:31 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
Exactly the reason I picked HLS. You will not be disappointed with your choices here. From having an opportunity to study at the University of Cambridge (and get a degree), the tremendous amount of international firms at EIP, LLM students from everywhere, being able to cross register at the Kennedy school (or get a joint degree) and the government connections that come with the degree. Great choice and I hope you enjoy your time here as much as I am.

Thanks. If I'm still using this site in August (very doubtful), I'll be sure to hit you up and discuss your experience. Harvard really is great for people who aspire to academia.

leebs2

Postby leebs2 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:54 pm

kingsfield69 wrote:
spicyyoda17 wrote:So that makes 3 of us with a spouse + a kid

Make it 4 of us. I'm bringing a wife and 2 kids! :)

Hey. Also wife with 2 kids! How interesting:-)

leebs2

Postby leebs2 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:37 pm

IS THERE ANY WAY TO JOIN THE HLS FACEBOOK GROUP WITHOUT MY FRIENDS SEEING IT??

(I DON'T WANT PEOPLE FROM MY WORK TO KNOW YET..)

hopeful16

Postby hopeful16 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:42 pm

leebs2 wrote:IS THERE ANY WAY TO JOIN THE HLS FACEBOOK GROUP WITHOUT MY FRIENDS SEEING IT??

When I joined it did not show-up in my timeline, so I think you should be good.

leebs2

Postby leebs2 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:06 am

hopeful16 wrote:
leebs2 wrote:IS THERE ANY WAY TO JOIN THE HLS FACEBOOK GROUP WITHOUT MY FRIENDS SEEING IT??

Thanks

leebs2

Postby leebs2 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:22 am

hopeful16 wrote:

Just did some googling and....

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 834AAlJ5Jy

edgeofthenight

Postby edgeofthenight » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:39 am

leebs2 wrote:
hopeful16 wrote:

Just did some googling and....

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 834AAlJ5Jy

The question is two years old - You should be able to prevent anyone from seeing it if you go to your profile immediately after you join. Check and see if a story pops up, delete it if it does, and you should be fine.

JedBartlett

Postby JedBartlett » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:04 am

Haha, yeah they don't see it. It's a closed group so I think that's why.

Also nice avatar!

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:09 am

After spending so much time staring dejectedly at this thread, it feels great to finally post and join the ranks of all you awesome people.

Just finished UG a couple of weeks ago, not married, no kids, and so excited for this. No idea, yet, which ASW, but I think I still need all of this to sink in for a while.

gottago

Postby gottago » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:18 am

deleted
Last edited by gottago on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”