. Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sabanist

Silver

Re: In at Harvard

Post by sabanist » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:30 pm

UtilityMonster wrote:Count me among the married with no kids. I wish to never have children... They frighten me.
Yeah, I don't want any of my own either. I don't mind playing with them for a little while, but as soon as the crankiness sets in or someone scrapes a knee and starts wailing, I'm out of there :lol:

My boyfriend has a son, which complicates things a lot (hence the circumstances beyond our control - ex could go nuclear and push the red button that says he can't move more than 100 miles away :| ). Oh well, nothing I can really do about it, so I try not to worry. Maybe it seems cold, but I live by the quote, "Your career will never wake up one morning and tell you it doesn't love you anymore."
(outed as a gunner and Lady Gaga fan :lol: )
kingsfield69 wrote: I'm pulling out of the safeties today. I'll save the remainder of the withdrawals until after I deposit with HLS and get a confirmation of my seat reservation. I'll probably keep one alternative until late spring ... just in case of any catastrophic/unforeseen events.
Yeah, I think I might wait for an acceptance to one of them as a backup. Can't really see anything that would stop me from going, short of HLS shutting down, but I'm all about being careful.

honeybadger12

Bronze

Post by honeybadger12 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:13 pm

I'm sure someone has already made this joke but...

honeybadger12

Bronze

Post by honeybadger12 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:18 pm

brownpride wrote:Can someone please link to the Facebook page here?
http://www.facebook.com/groups/343072659125128/

sabanist

Silver

Post by sabanist » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:44 pm

honeybadger12 wrote:I'm sure someone has already made this joke but...
:lol:

Look on the bright side: we dodge the student loans.

LaMuSayonga

Bronze

Post by LaMuSayonga » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:20 pm

I withdrew from my non-T14 safeties last week. Honestly, the only thing that would keep me from moving to Cambridge next year would be an (incredibly unlikely) acceptance from Y or S, although Berkeley could make the decision a little more difficult with a boatload of $$$$. I still don't know exactly when to drop my apps to CC and I haven't declined any acceptances yet. I tell myself I'm waiting on scholarship offers, but I accepted a full ride at my TTTT public undergrad and am kind of ready to become a prestige whore.

Since everyone is sharing their relationship statuses, I'll join in. I'm married with no children, and I hope that remains the case for a very long time (both the "married" and "no children" parts).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ns2675

New

Post by ns2675 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:54 pm

Checking in here. Married with no kids (since that seems to be the topic of discussion).

Pittpanther

New

Post by Pittpanther » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:01 am

How long did it take from your acceptance until you got the admit packet in the mail?
Also not married and still in undergrad.

JedBartlett

Bronze

Post by JedBartlett » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:09 pm

I've been withdrawing from schools like you guys. To be honest, I feel kind of bad withdrawing from them--especially ones that have been so nice. Still, I think they would appreciate knowing sooner rather than later (and I'm sure prospective students definitely would appreciate our withdrawals).

JedBartlett

Bronze

Post by JedBartlett » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:09 pm

Pittpanther wrote:How long did it take from your acceptance until you got the admit packet in the mail?
Hey Panther,

I think about 10 days,

Jed

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kingsfield69

Bronze

Post by kingsfield69 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:12 pm

JedBartlett wrote:
Pittpanther wrote:How long did it take from your acceptance until you got the admit packet in the mail?
Hey Panther,

I think about 10 days,

Jed
Dammit. That's too long. That screws up my plan of having it arrive today.

Pittpanther

New

Post by Pittpanther » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:12 pm

Thanks!

JedBartlett

Bronze

Post by JedBartlett » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:40 pm

kingsfield69 wrote:
JedBartlett wrote:
Hey Panther,

I think about 10 days,

Jed
Haha, have patience!

yarsten

Bronze

Post by yarsten » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:38 pm

So as promised, I spoke to my friend of a friend about financial aid. Here's the deal:
His parents are well off and as a result, they initially offered him zero aid (even with a wife and child). He later used his Stanford grant to get a little bit (under $10,000/yr). When he did, they said something along the lines of "oops, we calculated your aid wrong, here's the real number," so not sure if that was a legitimate mistake or not.

Probably not that helpful for most people, again because his parental contribution was probably maxed out, but that might be your situation so there you go. He also did mention that the Harvard aid request forms are terrible (10 x worse than any other school) so get ready.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JedBartlett

Bronze

Post by JedBartlett » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:10 pm

Have you guys been getting emails from professors about the interests you indicated after being accepted? I've gotten a few, and they are a nice touch.

kingsfield69

Bronze

Post by kingsfield69 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:22 pm

JedBartlett wrote:Have you guys been getting emails from professors about the interests you indicated after being accepted? I've gotten a few, and they are a nice touch.
Not yet, but I'm about two weeks in trail. I look forward to those.

I am incredibly impatient, and still awaiting the binder and swag.

hopeful16

New

Post by hopeful16 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:18 pm

JedBartlett wrote:Have you guys been getting emails from professors about the interests you indicated after being accepted? I've gotten a few, and they are a nice touch.
Yea between yesterday and today I have gotten five emails, including ones from the women's law association, deans, a professor, and a student. I like how the student that contacted me went to the same undergrad I did. Clever Harvard, clever.

JedBartlett

Bronze

Post by JedBartlett » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:35 pm

hopeful16 wrote:
Yea between yesterday and today I have gotten five emails, including ones from the women's law association, deans, a professor, and a student. I like how the student that contacted me went to the same undergrad I did. Clever Harvard, clever.
Hah, they did the same thing for me! I'm actually very impressed by this; their admissions office clearly has it together, and you can tell they are going to be making an effort to get the yield as high as possible.

Of course, I sent in my deposit form already, so once they get it maybe the torrent of emails will slow a bit, haha.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kingsfield69

Bronze

Post by kingsfield69 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:48 pm

JedBartlett wrote:
kingsfield69 wrote:
JedBartlett wrote:
Hey Panther,

I think about 10 days,

Jed
Haha, have patience!
WHERE IS MY BINDER!

UtilityMonster

Bronze

Post by UtilityMonster » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:19 pm

Which professor emailed you guys? I got Noah Feldman. Whoa.

JedBartlett

Bronze

Post by JedBartlett » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:44 pm

UtilityMonster wrote:Which professor emailed you guys? I got Noah Feldman. Whoa.
Richard Fallon!

haveahat

New

Post by haveahat » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:56 pm

Damn, I didn't fill out the survey until today... I feel so left out!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hopeful16

New

Post by hopeful16 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:53 pm

UtilityMonster wrote:Which professor emailed you guys? I got Noah Feldman. Whoa.
Mine was Jeannie Suk. Also, are you guys replying to any of these emails?

hdivine

New

Post by hdivine » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:07 pm

hopeful16 wrote:
I haven't got anything. Then again, it's been quite (if not forever) some time since somebody from my undergrad made it in.

LaMuSayonga

Bronze

Post by LaMuSayonga » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:21 am

I'm interested in a niche practice area, so receiving a personalized email from the professor who wrote THE definitive textbook on the subject left me a bit awestruck. I also received emails from two current students and the DA of the city where I eventually want to practice, so that was pretty awesome. I'd also like to know of anyone plans on responding to these emails.

UtilityMonster

Bronze

Post by UtilityMonster » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:39 am

hopeful16 wrote:
Mine was Jeannie Suk. Also, are you guys replying to any of these emails?
That is so cool. Read her wiki bio! Apparently she was married to Noah Feldman. The idea of getting to spend every waking moment with celebrities is seriously making me wet myself.

:mrgreen:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”