University of Colorado c/o 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wannabelawstudent

Re: University of Colorado c/o 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby wannabelawstudent » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:52 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
Which is why I am unsure if to work the WL or not

Well...It's a simple question. Do you want to practice law in Colorado? If yes, write the LOCI, if no, then don't.

rheannabanana

Postby rheannabanana » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:55 pm

md22 wrote:Movement! Decision rendered 3/22. Their site says it can take up to two weeks to receive the decision email....what the what? To those who've been accepted, did you all have to wait that long?

Edit: IN!!!!!!!

Congrats!

I came to TLS because my status checker switched to "decision rendered" today as well, and I wondered if anyone else had the same thing. I am hoping I don't have to wait two weeks to get my email and mine will update soon like yours, but it's killing me that it hasn't yet. :cry:

montanamoose

Postby montanamoose » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:52 pm

rheannabanana wrote:
md22 wrote:Movement! Decision rendered 3/22. Their site says it can take up to two weeks to receive the decision email....what the what? To those who've been accepted, did you all have to wait that long?

Congrats!

I came to TLS because my status checker switched to "decision rendered" today as well, and I wondered if anyone else had the same thing. I am hoping I don't have to wait two weeks to get my email and mine will update soon like yours, but it's killing me that it hasn't yet. :cry:

Same here, DR today. No email yet. Ding???

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:02 am

montanamoose wrote:
rheannabanana wrote:

Congrats!

FWIW I got WL and received my email around 7pm EST
Unsure when my status changed though since I was gaveling

montanamoose

Postby montanamoose » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:11 am

Have and admitted students recieved the acceptance email on a Saturday?

rheannabanana

Postby rheannabanana » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:26 am

montanamoose wrote:
rheannabanana wrote:

Congrats!

I'm wondering this too because of the earlier poster receiving an admit email earlier...wish they should just get it over with if it is though. I am picturing piles/lists of apps sorted into accept/reject/waitlist over there, just waiting for someone to send out emails. Hopefully it's not Monday :?

Best of luck to you, btw!

montanamoose

Postby montanamoose » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:44 am

rheannabanana wrote:
montanamoose wrote:
rheannabanana wrote:

Congrats!

I'm wondering this too because of the earlier poster receiving an admit email earlier...wish they should just get it over with if it is though. I am picturing piles/lists of apps sorted into accept/reject/waitlist over there, just waiting for someone to send out emails. Hopefully it's not Monday :?

Best of luck to you, btw!

Good luck to you as well!

FINRAlaw

Postby FINRAlaw » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:20 am

I was admitted yesterday evening as well. Was under review since 1/18, LSAT 161, LSDAS GPA 3.89 non-URM, for those who'd like to know.
I intend to practice in the Denver area. I obviously haven't received any financial aid information from CU yet, but I was given $26k/year with the 3.0 stip, to go to University of Denver.

I'm curious if the ~$60k (I'm a non-resident) difference in total cost would even be worth it assuming no $ from CU. I feel like the better ranking and reach of a CU JD is somewhat diminished, for those interested in practicing in the area, by DU actually being in Denver and being closer to so many more internships etc. Thoughts?

md22

Postby md22 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:23 pm

Received my scholarship offer. Total tuition will be around 55k for 3 years. Can anyone help me out with the COL/COA for CU?

JXander

Postby JXander » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:41 pm

md22 wrote:Received my scholarship offer. Total tuition will be around 55k for 3 years. Can anyone help me out with the COL/COA for CU?

http://www.colorado.edu/law/admissions/ ... -residency

md22

Postby md22 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:57 pm

JXander wrote:
md22 wrote:Received my scholarship offer. Total tuition will be around 55k for 3 years. Can anyone help me out with the COL/COA for CU?

http://www.colorado.edu/law/admissions/ ... -residency

kase5771

Postby kase5771 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:40 am

Last edited by kase5771 on Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:51 pm

FINRAlaw wrote:
I'm curious if the ~$60k (I'm a non-resident) difference in total cost would even be worth it assuming no $ from CU. I feel like the better ranking and reach of a CU JD is somewhat diminished, for those interested in practicing in the area, by DU actually being in Denver and being closer to so many more internships etc. Thoughts?

I don't think DU's location is better than CU's. First off, you are only talking about internships during the school year, which are (for some unexplained reason) called externships. Less than half of law students actually do them. If you want to come to CU and extern in Denver, keep in mind that Denver is only about 25 miles from Boulder. With your CU ID-card you can ride the bus around the state at no cost. Lots of CU students either bus to externships, live in between Boulder and Denver to cut down on travel times, or live in the city of Denver and bus to Boulder for class. If you want to extern, that's on you, not the school. From my experience, many Denver firms and government offices are happy to see a CU resume. DU has considerably more students and they apply overwhelmingly in Denver.

I would say that DU does a better job encouraging externships, especially by allowing students to spend a whole semester in practice and receive credit for all of it. At CU we can only get 7 credits from externships. Location is what you make it though. I've had great externships every semester, including one in Denver, and personally I prefer being able to look up at the flatirons everyday. To each his/her own.

In terms of whether the 60k is worth it... I have no idea. Every student at CU who applied to both schools also got into DU, so this decision is made over and over again every year by many people. I had a full at DU and a discount at CU. My tuition here will end up being 45k. Over a 35 year career, I think the better alumni network is worth that and much more. But depending on your goals maybe DU is the right choice here.

kase5771 wrote:Got my acceptance email while I was visiting admitted students weekend at William and Mary in VA! After visiting W&M, I have definitely narrowed it down to either CU or DU. CU offered 12k 1L year, and 6k each year after that... less than the offer at DU, but I am in-state, which helps reduce the cost here. Has anyone successfully negotiated $$ with CU? If so, any recommendations?

I am really looking forward to visiting CU to compare to DU (which I really liked when I went on that visit) and making a decision within the next few weeks! :D

After your visit, maybe send an email and tell them you'll withdraw from DU and pay both seat deposits with X scholarship offer. Worst case scenario is they say no and you're in the exact same position. If that doesn't work, you could pay both seat deposits and try to play them off each other all summer. I know there is movement all summer long as they try to secure their medians. Hah just lease an apartment in the middle and be prepared to go either way depending on the best offer.. Maybe get a full-ride at DU or a better offer from CU.. good luck.

Edit-- might want to ask around about this in case I've given you horrible advice. I dunno, maybe I view this from a consumer's perspective more than most..

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:21 pm

The biggest difference to note is you can extern with private firms at DU. CU does not allow this. This will become a really really important difference to you if you're interested in plaintiffs side work.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:39 pm

LeDique wrote:The biggest difference to note is you can extern with private firms at DU. CU does not allow this. This will become a really really important difference to you if you're interested in plaintiffs side work.

You mean that CU doesn't give extern credit for private firms? I externed with a firm during 1L and the for 1L summer and I was paid so I never asked about credit.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:43 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
LeDique wrote:The biggest difference to note is you can extern with private firms at DU. CU does not allow this. This will become a really really important difference to you if you're interested in plaintiffs side work.

You mean that CU doesn't give extern credit for private firms? I externed with a firm during 1L and the for 1L summer and I was paid so I never asked about credit.

Yes.

kase5771

Postby kase5771 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:42 pm

Last edited by kase5771 on Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:51 pm

kase5771 wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:

Hmm... I am definitely interested in having extern opportunities available, although I wouldn't by any means be less interested if an externship were paid rather than for credit (even just a little income during law school, I'm on board!). McDuff, did you find it difficult to get an externship during 1L? One of my concerns about CU is the lack of focus on practical/real life experience compared to DU (something I have heard from a few different sources), so I would love to get your opinion, as someone who has gotten externs as a CU student.

I have heard that CU is more theory-focused, while DU is more practice-focused. Would you agree with that gerneralization, and if so, do you think it leads to a disadvantage for CU students (who want to be in a courtroom) upon graduation?

While I'm pretty mad at CU for that internship policy because it puts us at a severe disadvantage to DU students for jobs after graduation, this is a bad generalization. Look, you can take absolutely no practical courses or experiences at DU and graduate, and same at CU. Getting practical experience is on you and only you. The only thing you should be focusing on here is different policies that facilitate that, and *maybe* DU's are slightly better. Maybe DU's is better because you can pay them tuition for an entire semester while you spend the semester working full time. (Total aside: this policy is perverse and I am genuinely unsure how no one has sued under the FLSA over this. I personally don't want to be paying 35k to a school so I can have the privilege of working for someone full-time.) Maybe DU's is better because you can intern for plaintiffs firms that do work on contingency. But that's only relevant if that's the practice you want after graduation. You have more than enough opportunities to get practical experience (inside or outside) of a courtroom at CU if you choose to.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:40 pm

LeDique wrote:Getting practical experience is on you and only you. You have more than enough opportunities to get practical experience (inside or outside) of a courtroom at CU if you choose to.

I agree completely. DU does not give you a better "practical" education than CU. The difference between the schools is that DU markets itself as practice-ready. That's it. Both schools can give you a great practical education.

At CU, I've taken 2 trial ad courses, one taught by a sitting CO supreme court judge, had a public defender with 30 years of experience teach my crim pro class, had the school assign me a local DA to coach me for an external trial mock-trial comp., etc. We also have five clinics, none of which are difficult to get into. Like LeDique said, it's there if you want it.

However, maybe think for a second about the whole theoretical vs. practical education debate. There is a reason that every top school gives you theory.... if all you know is how to stand up in court and go through the motions, how are you going to know the right argument to make? Every judge received a theoretical education, and I'm glad I'm getting one at CU. Without it, I'm not sure how I'd ever hope to persuade a judge. Guess all I'm saying is that practice-ready is a great idea and I fully support it, but let's not put the cart before the horse.

kase5771

Postby kase5771 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:50 pm

Last edited by kase5771 on Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:07 pm

this is not as big of a deal as you're making it sound. you can still work for these places, you just can't get school credit for it. I totally support the fact that CU doesn't allow you to get school credit so some lawyer can treat you like his/her indentured servant while he/she collects fat stacks for all the work you're doing for free.

personally, i've had an internship every semester except my first one. I only received school credit for one, and that was really only because it was convenient. externships kinda suck anyways, because the work/credit ratio is totally screwed (50 hours of work = 1 credit), and it can get really stressful counting up all the hours.

there are lots of good reasons to choose DU over CU, this is not one of them.

the bottom line is that if your plaintiff contingency firm you guys seem to want to work for so bad can't even make enough money to pay a law student $10 an hour, that isn't a very good plaintiff contingency firm.

the practice vs. theory thing is all marketing/word of mouth BS from alums. DU might get a slight edge solely because its in a big legal market compared to Boulder. In any event, DENVER IS A 30 MINUTE DRIVE IT WONT KILL YOU.

It is all 100% what you make of it. If anyone else tells you differently, they are a snake oil salesman trying to get your money.
Last edited by the lantern on Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:11 pm

the lantern wrote:

this is not as big of a deal as you're making it sound. you can still work for these places, you just can't get school credit for it. I totally support the fact that CU doesn't allow you to get school credit so some lawyer can treat you like his/her indentured servant while he/she collects fat stacks for all the work you're doing for free.

personally, i've had an internship every semester except my first one. I only received school credit for one, and that was really only because it was convenient. externships kinda suck anyways, because the work/credit ratio is totally screwed (50 hours of work = 1 credit), and it can get really stressful counting up all the hours.

there are lots of good reasons to choose DU over CU, this is not one of them.

the bottom line is that if your plaintiff contingency firm you guys seem to want to work for so bad can't even make enough money to pay a law student $10 an hour, that isn't a very good plaintiff contingency firm.

Right. Because KLN, King & Greisen, Sid & Q, aren't very good. :roll: :roll:

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:13 pm

damn thats crazy... i wonder how all these solos with no paralegals and no office and no steady stream of clients (for fucks sake king & griesen have won litigator of the year awards from the ACLU... dont fucking tell me they can't spare $200 a week to pay a student $10/hr if they wanted to) can afford to pay students. boggles the mind really.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:16 pm

I mean, maybe they CAN afford to pay students, but with DU students able to work for them for free, why would they? I've sat across from partners at those firms in an informational interview setting and all of them have told me they can't and don't pay interns. They'll pay students for contract work though (at least King & Greisen will).

Oh wait, remembered: Truhlar will pay you AFTER you've interned them for free for a semester or so.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:54 am

Visiting on Thursday, any suggestions from Boulder residents/people familiar with the area on things not to miss?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”