University of Colorado c/o 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LeDique

Re: University of Colorado c/o 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby LeDique » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:35 pm

1693 wrote:How has the internship search been going for you current students? I was recently accepted to Denver with a nice scholarship and am still waiting to hear from CU. I love Colorado and want to practice in the Mountain West so I am hoping I have a choice to make.

Also, best of luck with finals!

Are you asking about 1L internships or 2L or both? Paid? Unpaid?

One difference here that is relevant to your decision is that CU does not allow you to intern with private employers for academic credit. DU currently does but we're pressuring them a lot to change that.

Postby 1693 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:37 pm

LeDique wrote:
1693 wrote:How has the internship search been going for you current students? I was recently accepted to Denver with a nice scholarship and am still waiting to hear from CU. I love Colorado and want to practice in the Mountain West so I am hoping I have a choice to make.

One difference here that is relevant to your decision is that CU does not allow you to intern with private employers for academic credit. DU currently does but we're pressuring them a lot to change that.

Both in your experience as a student. Paid/unpaid isn't a concern to me as I expect most to be unpaid. How do you feel about the competition from DU students for positions (I imagine that is the biggest competition).

Also, I'd love to practice in an area such as Golden. I imagine CU is the way to go for that.

Edit: thanks for taking the time to answer!

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:48 pm

1693 wrote:
LeDique wrote:

Both in your experience as a student. Paid/unpaid isn't a concern to me as I expect most to be unpaid. How do you feel about the competition from DU students for positions (I imagine that is the biggest competition).

Also, I'd love to practice in an area such as Golden. I imagine CU is the way to go for that.

I can't tell you much beyond my personal experience. I found it pretty easy to get a state district court internship last summer, as well as a position with a non-profit. I can't think of anyone who has tried to get a state district court internship during the summer or the semester that did not get one. I had two interviews with judges in Golden for last summer. I *think* people had a similar experience with unpaid PD internships last semester. McDuff can tell you more about the PD/DA stuff, actually, so I'll defer to him.

And quite honestly, the remark I usually here about the competition between CU/DU for employers is that they don't see enough CU applications. I think CU has built up certain connections/pipelines and DU has too, but otherwise, I don't think there's too huge of a difference in internship hiring.

ETA: What I can tell you a lot about is judicial internships, the plaintiff's employment bar (including the EEOC), and the plaintiff's civil rights bar. I also did OCI at CU and can talk about that as well.

Postby 1693 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:07 am

LeDique wrote:
1693 wrote:
LeDique wrote:

I can't tell you much beyond my personal experience. I found it pretty easy to get a state district court internship last summer, as well as a position with a non-profit. I can't think of anyone who has tried to get a state district court internship during the summer or the semester that did not get one. I had two interviews with judges in Golden for last summer. I *think* people had a similar experience with unpaid PD internships last semester. McDuff can tell you more about the PD/DA stuff, actually, so I'll defer to him.

And quite honestly, the remark I usually here about the competition between CU/DU for employers is that they don't see enough CU applications. I think CU has built up certain connections/pipelines and DU has too, but otherwise, I don't think there's too huge of a difference in internship hiring.

ETA: What I can tell you a lot about is judicial internships, the plaintiff's employment bar (including the EEOC), and the plaintiff's civil rights bar. I also did OCI at CU and can talk about that as well.

That is quite refreshing to hear, actually. What were your thoughts on the OCI process at CU? Did a good amount of firms show up? I would imagine it would be firms from around the Rockies and not just CO.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:19 am

1693 wrote:That is quite refreshing to hear, actually. What were your thoughts on the OCI process at CU? Did a good amount of firms show up? I would imagine it would be firms from around the Rockies and not just CO.

There's not really many other places for OCI firms to be in the Rockies except Denver. Most of them are from Denver, but we had a few from NM or AZ I think. It was around 40 some firms, but as I've mentioned a lot, not a lot of spots.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:05 am

1693 wrote:
LeDique wrote:

I think top 10% from CU and DU definitely compete for larger firm jobs in Denver. The hiring partners are often mixed from the two schools, or, even more likely, went T-14. In that case, they owe no allegiance to either school, and are picking the candidate they like the best.

I know there are CU employers who don't look past CU for hiring, but assuredly there are DU employers in the metro that do the same for DU. I just don't know any because I go to CU.

However, I think to a very real extent CU and DU students are looking for different jobs. There is overlap, but frankly many of the CU students get first crack at the better clerkships, gov. placements, business jobs, and non-profits. (by the way, many of these "better jobs" I'm talking about aren't great for TLS standards-- think 50k-55k a year but with growth and resume cred.) When CU students strike out, I've noticed they are more likely to refuse doc review/dead-end legal jobs and look to a different field. I think more people go to DU who actually want to practice law, and they will try to get whatever they can. I'm not sure if that is a positive attribute about the school or not, but I think its a cultural difference that is worth mentioning. Also, our professors might disagree, no idea, but I'd guess that you can get the same high-level education at either school.

CU has a smaller class and a better reputation, and I've heard from government employers and judges in the Denver metro that they wish they would see more CU applicants. Personally, I think one thing that helps CU students is that the whole class seems to have varied interests. Without stellar grades, I have been successful finding (paid) 1L work for a firm and the government internship of my choice for 2L summer. I think it helped that the employers wanted to hire CU students and I was only competing with a handful of other CU students who wanted each job. DU has a harder time compiling an incoming 1L class with high LSATs and varied work experience. They have pretty much been the second choice law school in the state since both schools opened over a hundred years ago. According to our admissions office, DU has never enrolled a class with higher credentials than CU and has only beaten CU on the colorado bar exam 4 times. No idea if that's true, but if so that would be like 4/220 or something (assuming they still offered the bar twice a year back in the early 1900s?).

If you want to work in the Denver metro, DU is a good school and has a good reputation with the layman. I think the caveat for me is that you really need to be sure that you don't end up in the bottom half of the class. CU grads are spread out over the state and the immediate region, so if you end up bottom quarter after 1L, not only are your chances of still getting a metro/front range job way higher than from DU, you have the ability to sort-of, call an audible, specialize in a niche area, and look for an unpaid gig up the the mountains or outside the front range with a CU friendly office. It may not lead to the legal job you wanted, but it might actually lead to a legal job. Bottom half of DU pretty much needs to start looking at non-legal options or settle on the idea of going solo. There just aren't enough jobs.

But hey, DU has been giving out great scholarships lately. I'd go solo in Denver with less than 20k debt, maybe just me. So I just realized I typed for a long time (probably because I do not want to study). Don't get me wrong, there is a ton of competition in law school, but I think that generally CU students compete with CU students and DU students compete with DU students.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Hope some of this has been helpful. You can google CU vs. DU and read some prior TLS threads on the topic. GL.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:16 am

1693 wrote:That is quite refreshing to hear, actually. What were your thoughts on the OCI process at CU? Did a good amount of firms show up? I would imagine it would be firms from around the Rockies and not just CO.

I didn't do OCI, but I can tell you that there aren't many firms that come. Only very large law firms can afford to fly associates to various on-campus interviews around the country. There are very, very few large law firms in the Rockies. Basically, don't go to any law school in the Mt. West if you are dead-set on getting placed with a large firm. There are two ways into those firms. 1) Is getting employed direct from law school via your 2L summer, aka OCI, and 2) is obtaining a great clerkship that undoubtable leads to those types of options. I'm talking like, 10% of the class. Horrible odds.

If you want to work with a firm that has between 5-20 attorneys, that is more feasible, but just know that these firms do not come to OCI. You have to go to them.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:17 am

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:

I didn't do OCI, but I can tell you that there aren't many firms that come. Only very large law firms can afford to fly associates to various on-campus interviews around the country. There are very, very few large law firms in the Rockies. Basically, don't go to any law school in the Mt. West if you are dead-set on getting placed with a large firm. There are two ways into those firms. 1) Is getting employed direct from law school via your 2L summer, aka OCI, and 2) is obtaining a great clerkship that undoubtable leads to those types of options. I'm talking like, 10% of the class. Horrible odds.

If you want to work with a firm that has between 5-20 attorneys, that is more feasible, but just know that these firms do not come to OCI. You have to go to them.

10% of the class is a very generous number too. I think it was like 6-7% for last year.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:16 am

LeDique wrote:

10% of the class is a very generous number too. I think it was like 6-7% for last year.

I don't think anyone really knows at any school. I just took our big firm score, 4.5%, and our fed clerkship score, 4.0%, and figured in a couple state Supreme Court clerkships for a rounded number of ten. Got that from LST link at the top.

It's also going to fluctuate very significantly every year because we have such a small class. The year before we enrolled, the fed clerkship score was 9%.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:24 pm

I think the 6-7% figure was the amount of people who got jobs through OCI.

To be clear, I'm glad I came here -- but I did not and do not want a biglawl job. For someone who wants the career arc I do -- clerkship to plaintiff's bar -- in Colorado, CU is perfect. But again, you still need the grades to get a clerkship.

Postby 1693 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:31 pm

Hey- thanks to both of you for so thoroughly answering my questions. I personally don't want to do biglaw but was rather crious as to what kind of showing CU got for OCIs. Your answers hit home with me, thank you!

Also that wasn't a rambling answer McDuff -- just what I needed & more, lol.

My last question (I promise) is more general. Is there anything you know now that you wish you knew as an incoming 1L? Anything to make the transition to CU smoother?

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:44 pm

1693 wrote:Hey- thanks to both of you for so thoroughly answering my questions. I personally don't want to do biglaw but was rather crious as to what kind of showing CU got for OCIs. Your answers hit home with me, thank you!

My last question (I promise) is more general. Is there anything you know now that you wish you knew as an incoming 1L? Anything to make the transition to CU smoother?

If you're already reading TLS, not really.

JXander

Postby JXander » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:26 pm

Last edited by JXander on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:15 pm

1693 wrote:Hey- thanks to both of you for so thoroughly answering my questions. I personally don't want to do biglaw but was rather crious as to what kind of showing CU got for OCIs. Your answers hit home with me, thank you!

TLS is a good resource for how to do well on issue spotter exams. My advice is to go in with a good attitude and try to enjoy the whole experience. No idea how the class of 2016 will shape up, but the people in 14 are awesome and have made for a great experience.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:54 pm

TLS is a good resource for how to do well on issue spotter exams. My advice is to go in with a good attitude and try to enjoy the whole experience. No idea how the class of 2016 will shape up, but the people in 14 are awesome and have made for a great experience.

15, despite their initial shortcomings, have turned out okay. They're still a little weird though.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:16 pm

LeDique wrote:
15, despite their initial shortcomings, have turned out okay. They're still a little weird though.

You met the guy who came to CU Law to be a space lawyer? Nicest guy, but really, really would like to sick Campos on him.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:50 am

But, I thought that the marijuana legislation passed ?
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sugar Lumps

Postby Sugar Lumps » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:54 am

Checking in.

njhancock

Postby njhancock » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:50 am

Checking in!

willio

Postby willio » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:57 pm

Under the "Status" box, the status date and status itself has been removed. Now it only reads:

Status
Term: Fall
Year: 2013
Program Time: Full Time
Degree: JD

Earlier it said I was UR as of 11/20. Anyone else experience this?

kuttlefish

Postby kuttlefish » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:46 pm

willio wrote:Under the "Status" box, the status date and status itself has been removed. Now it only reads:

Status

Earlier it said I was UR as of 11/20. Anyone else experience this?

Here's mine copied and pasted:

Current Status: Application In Review
Current Status Date: 11/20/2012

refresh? about two weeks ago there was a day where I couldn't log in to the status checker. The next day it was back up and nothing had changed.... sigh

smilingadaley

Postby smilingadaley » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:51 pm

Just got my acceptance a few minutes ago! Congrats everybody!

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:15 pm

smilingadaley wrote:Just got my acceptance a few minutes ago! Congrats everybody!

Congrats.

risa

Postby risa » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:21 pm

Is it just me or when you're using the Status Check program/app Colorado always gives an Access Error? It works for every other school I applied to.

(checking in ;-) )

Postby 1693 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:27 pm

risa wrote:Is it just me or when you're using the Status Check program/app Colorado always gives an Access Error? It works for every other school I applied to.

(checking in ;-) )

Try accessing it from here: http://www.colorado.edu/law/admissions/status.htm

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”