University of Colorado c/o 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JXander

Re: University of Colorado c/o 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:08 am

kase5771 wrote:
JXander wrote:Holy biscuits. Full ride scholarship plus $12k in the 2L and 3L years. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Congratulations! Stats?

See profile.

LDVM4334

Postby LDVM4334 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:48 am

Submitted Monday night, under review as of today.

3.25/169 on 3rd try.

Confident, but would actually like going here for a variety of reasons.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:30 am

LDVM4334 wrote:Submitted Monday night, under review as of today.

3.25/169 on 3rd try.

Interested in the reasons. I'm really interested in Colorado too but kind of worried about the somewhat limited job prospects outside the state (other the close by surrounding ones)

md22

Postby md22 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:56 pm

JayJones78 wrote:

3.25/169 on 3rd try.

Interested in the reasons. I'm really interested in Colorado too but kind of worried about the somewhat limited job prospects outside the state (other the close by surrounding ones)

I feel the same. Colorado is very attractive to me (the cost of living compared to CA, where I'm from, is mighty attractive). I'm mostly worried about the job prospects coming out of CU, however. I'd probably give it serious consideration if I get a decent scholarship (which I'm hoping for as I'm well over their medians).

biznardos

Postby biznardos » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:15 pm

In via email!

3.7 161 MA-URM

zniha

Postby zniha » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:24 pm

If you don't mind what were your dates?

WDH

Postby WDH » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:27 pm

biznardos wrote:In via email!

3.7 161 MA-URM

Nice!

md22

Postby md22 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:38 pm

3.7 161 MA-URM

Congrats!

Edit: Do you mind sharing your dates?

LDVM4334

Postby LDVM4334 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:33 pm

md22 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:

3.25/169 on 3rd try.

I feel the same. Colorado is very attractive to me (the cost of living compared to CA, where I'm from, is mighty attractive). I'm mostly worried about the job prospects coming out of CU, however. I'd probably give it serious consideration if I get a decent scholarship (which I'm hoping for as I'm well over their medians).

Primarily cost of living and quality of life.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:46 pm

3.7 161 MA-URM

Congrats.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:57 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:

3.7 161 MA-URM

Congrats.

WL
3.41/151 AA URM
Complete since 12/31 no word till today's email.

Still has the same worries. Joined the WL.

doppelganger

Postby doppelganger » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:26 am

Applied in October and still UR 11/20 :|

grantev

Postby grantev » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:20 am

doppelganger wrote:Applied in October and still UR 11/20 :|

Feelin' ya. UR since 12/18. If you're gonna reject me, just do it already!

P.S. I love your "notes" for Michigan.

tch562

Postby tch562 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:46 am

So, how do you tell the Dean Weiser that you love the school, but that you're gonna need more money to accept without sounding entitled (which I'm NOT nor do I feel i am), sleazy, or like you're begging? I keep getting emails and calls from professors and student leaders, and now the Dean saying how they really would like me to go there, but I'm not sure I can turn down a full-ride (though the school isn't similarly ranked). Any suggestions?

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:21 pm

Wanted to post this for prospective students : http://www.lawweekonline.com/2009/11/la ... ate-firms/

It's a list of the largest 200 firms in Colorado so you can make comparisons between schools in the Mountain West and schools on either coast. Basically, the firms in Denver and in the Mountain West generally are smaller. Only 11 firms in Colorado have a local office of over 50 attorneys.

Some of the better firms are pretty small. Ireland Stapleton and Messner & Reeves in the 26-50 category, and Reilly Pozner and Caplan and Earnest in the 11-25. You can see from the NALP report on the CU website that some of the smaller firms pay well: http://www.colorado.edu/law/sites/defau ... LP2011.pdf -- the 75th percentile salary for the 11-25 category was 100k. Finally, you might want to peruse the NALP report because few schools actually release the whole thing. It has info like 85% of employed graduates aren't looking for another job. It even has info on how graduates got their job-- 2 grads got their jobs through a temp agency, for example.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:34 pm

tch562 wrote:So, how do you tell the Dean Weiser that you love the school, but that you're gonna need more money to accept without sounding entitled (which I'm NOT nor do I feel i am), sleazy, or like you're begging? I keep getting emails and calls from professors and student leaders, and now the Dean saying how they really would like me to go there, but I'm not sure I can turn down a full-ride (though the school isn't similarly ranked). Any suggestions?

With a 160/2.7? Yeahhhhhh…

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:39 pm

LeDique wrote:
tch562 wrote:So, how do you tell the Dean Weiser that you love the school, but that you're gonna need more money to accept without sounding entitled (which I'm NOT nor do I feel i am), sleazy, or like you're begging? I keep getting emails and calls from professors and student leaders, and now the Dean saying how they really would like me to go there, but I'm not sure I can turn down a full-ride (though the school isn't similarly ranked). Any suggestions?

I think tch562 is a URM. Kids got options.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:43 pm

LeDique wrote:

Woops, didn't scroll that far. Still doubt he gets more than his current offer.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:46 pm

LeDique wrote:
LeDique wrote:

I don't know. Boulder County is painfully white, and the deans are well aware of this. Come to think of it the deans are all painfully white too.. We actually have a dean named Whiting. It is a first name.

tch562

Postby tch562 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:07 pm

I don't know. Boulder County is painfully white, and the deans are well aware of this. Come to think of it the deans are all painfully white too.. We actually have a dean named Whiting. It is a first name.

That's funny as hell! :P

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:41 pm

real talk: you have a 160 and a 2.7. even if you are a URM, it sounds incredibly entitled to think that you should be able to just call up a school and expect them to offer them more $ for you. Go to the school that gives you the best career options or is located where you want to work. There are lots of people who clearly came to CU because it was either the highest ranked school or offered them the most money, and I don't think many of these people are happy. I came to CU because I wanted to come to CU, and I love it here and everything has worked out great for me.

If you care, here is what I"d recommend. Hold off on requesting a bigger scholarship. Go to an Accepted students day. I'm not sure if they offer to pay for travel for certain applicants -- they didn't for me. After your ASD, email and tell them how you really, really enjoyed the visit and really liked the school, but you are facing a difficult choice because of a full scholarship offer from another school. I think if you come at them from this angle, it might come off sounding a lot better than just calling up and demanding more money (or you will go somewhere else). Also, an extra benefit is that maybe you'll get to Boulder and realize you either love it or hate it, and this could make any decision you ultimately have to make a little easier.

Edit: I just looked a little more at your profile. If the choice you're struggling to make is between a full ride at MSU and a partial scholarship at CU, I think you're not basing your decision on the right factors. MSU and CU are NOT going to place you outside of their immediate geographic area (unless you're in the top 5-20% and are lucky enough to get hired by the small number of national firms that interview at CU). I grew up in northern Ohio, know the area, etc. I now live in Boulder. These two places (the economy, the people, the type of things people do for fun, the culture, etc.) are ENTIRELY different, like night and day. I would encourage you to look beyond money/ranking and consider other factors as well. Going to CU or MSU for free will still be a shitty decision if you can't get (1) the type of job you want in (2) the region that you want.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... aw_Schools

If you look at this ^^, you will see that both MSU and CU placed FIVE (5) graduate in NLJ 250 firms (read: 5 people *potentially* left the area). Now, there are going to be others who leave the geographic area due to personal connections, federal government work, or sheer dedication to finding work outside of the Mountain West, but you should go to a school like CU or MSU under the assumption that your marketability (and potential to obtain post-graduation employment) will be greatest in your immediate geographic region.

Oh, and on a personal note, I would rather set my money on fire than willingly live in East Lansing/Michigan generally.

tch562

Postby tch562 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:18 pm

the lantern wrote:

real talk: you have a 160 and a 2.7. even if you are a URM, it sounds incredibly entitled to think that you should be able to just call up a school and expect them to offer them more $ for you. Go to the school that gives you the best career options or is located where you want to work. There are lots of people who clearly came to CU because it was either the highest ranked school or offered them the most money, and I don't think many of these people are happy. I came to CU because I wanted to come to CU, and I love it here and everything has worked out great for me.

If you care, here is what I"d recommend. Hold off on requesting a bigger scholarship. Go to an Accepted students day. I'm not sure if they offer to pay for travel for certain applicants -- they didn't for me. After your ASD, email and tell them how you really, really enjoyed the visit and really liked the school, but you are facing a difficult choice because of a full scholarship offer from another school. I think if you come at them from this angle, it might come off sounding a lot better than just calling up and demanding more money (or you will go somewhere else). Also, an extra benefit is that maybe you'll get to Boulder and realize you either love it or hate it, and this could make any decision you ultimately have to make a little easier.

Edit: I just looked a little more at your profile. If the choice you're struggling to make is between a full ride at MSU and a partial scholarship at CU, I think you're not basing your decision on the right factors. MSU and CU are NOT going to place you outside of their immediate geographic area (unless you're in the top 5-20% and are lucky enough to get hired by the small number of national firms that interview at CU). I grew up in northern Ohio, know the area, etc. I now live in Boulder. These two places (the economy, the people, the type of things people do for fun, the culture, etc.) are ENTIRELY different, like night and day. I would encourage you to look beyond money/ranking and consider other factors as well. Going to CU or MSU for free will still be a shitty decision if you can't get (1) the type of job you want in (2) the region that you want.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... aw_Schools

If you look at this ^^, you will see that both MSU and CU placed FIVE (5) graduate in NLJ 250 firms (read: 5 people *potentially* left the area). Now, there are going to be others who leave the geographic area due to personal connections, federal government work, or sheer dedication to finding work outside of the Mountain West, but you should go to a school like CU or MSU under the assumption that your marketability (and potential to obtain post-graduation employment) will be greatest in your immediate geographic region.

Oh, and on a personal note, I would rather set my money on fire than willingly live in East Lansing/Michigan generally.

I understand what you're saying but I'm not basing my decision solely on money. I agree that that would be the wrong thing to do. I'm facing the decision of whether I want to spend the next few decades in Michigan or Colorado. Don't mistake what my post is asking. As I said, I DO NOT consider myself entitled, and I'm not going to call up anyone saying 'give me money or I'll go elsewhere.' And also, though I realize my numbers aren't perfect, they've been reaching out to me which tells they could be a little interested in other parts of my application. I'm conflicted because I'm not bothered by the possibility of state, I've talked with people from each and they both seem to enjoy their experience. I've got a couple of weeks to decide, so thanks.
Last edited by tch562 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:22 pm

Yea I mean I obviously can't divine everythiing about you from a few sentences in your post, so please don't think I am. I was just pointing out, as someone who has lived in both places, that there is much, much more to this decision than money. You might not be basing your decision solely on money/rankings, but I can assure you, there are people who definitely do, and then they're like "OMG F*** THIS SCHOOL THEY ARE AWFUL I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT CAREER SERVICES CAN't GET ME A JOB AT [insert massive NYC/SF/DC firm here]."

doppelganger

Postby doppelganger » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:33 pm

the lantern wrote:Yea I mean I obviously can't divine everythiing about you from a few sentences in your post, so please don't think I am. I was just pointing out, as someone who has lived in both places, that there is much, much more to this decision than money. You might not be basing your decision solely on money/rankings, but I can assure you, there are people who definitely do, and then they're like "OMG F*** THIS SCHOOL THEY ARE AWFUL I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT CAREER SERVICES CAN't GET ME A JOB AT [insert massive NYC/SF/DC firm here]."

Do you have any personal experience or anecdotes about public interest jobs and regional reach for people who wanted to work in that area of law?

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:36 pm

If you can ask more specific questions, I can try to provide more specific answers where I have knowledge.

In my personal opinion, CU probably punches above its weight class when it comes to getting PI jobs for its graduates. I'll be doing PI work after graduation, for example.

I posted my general thoughts on employment outlook at CU here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=96382&start=300

also, your profile made me chuckle <3

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”