University of Maine c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nmlf16

University of Maine c/o 2016

Postby nmlf16 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:38 pm

Didn't see a thread so here it is.

nmlf16

Re: University of Maine c/o 2016

Postby nmlf16 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:29 am

I applied 11/16 and went under review 11/19.

moxiewhoopiepie

Postby moxiewhoopiepie » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:05 am

Same here. It seems likely that we'll get a decision before 12/31, but who the heck knows at this point. Good luck!

nmlf16 wrote:I applied 11/16 and went under review 11/19.

nmlf16

Postby nmlf16 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:49 pm

moxiewhoopiepie wrote:Same here. It seems likely that we'll get a decision before 12/31, but who the heck knows at this point. Good luck!

nmlf16 wrote:I applied 11/16 and went under review 11/19.

I hope so. Best of luck to you too!

moxiewhoopiepie

Postby moxiewhoopiepie » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:55 pm

Cheers. By the way, what made you put Maine on your list with all the others? Seems a bit out of place.

moxiewhoopiepie

Postby moxiewhoopiepie » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:16 pm

Accepted 12/3. I think there's about a 99 percent chance I'll be attending. Portland's home for me so I can't wait to finally break away from Boston.

nmlf16

Postby nmlf16 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:53 pm

moxiewhoopiepie wrote:Accepted 12/3. I think there's about a 99 percent chance I'll be attending. Portland's home for me so I can't wait to finally break away from Boston.

Congrats! When did you go complete and what were your numbers if you don't mind me asking? Hopefully I'll hear back soon as well. And to respond to your earlier question, i applied to a few other schools in the northeast. Maine is just further north I suppose. Stats-wise it is a safety school for me but it's a lot further up my list despite its numbers being lower. To me it just seems like it would be a nice place to go to school and live. So if the price is right then there's a decent chance I'd end up going there.

moxiewhoopiepie

Postby moxiewhoopiepie » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:50 pm

I submitted a complete application about 11/10. Seems to be about a three week turnaround, so possibly next week for you?

I was 3.8/157.

I suppose my stats could place me at other schools, but Maine is ideal in my mind. I grew up in Portland, so being able to come back to town--I'm currently in Boston--is a dream come true. Academically, the school is small enough that you get a good class feel, with a very small ratio, and a close knit student body. At least that's what friends who already go there tell me. I'm also very interested in immigration law, and Portland is ideal for that, both because of Maine Law's clinical offerings, but because of the (relative) diversity that Portland enjoys.

As far as money is concerned I know that the financial aid application isn't due until February, so I'd assume that's when you'd hear about scholarships. I'd definitely be happy to tell you anything and everything about Portland if that aids your decision.

nmlf16 wrote:
moxiewhoopiepie wrote:Accepted 12/3. I think there's about a 99 percent chance I'll be attending. Portland's home for me so I can't wait to finally break away from Boston.

Congrats! When did you go complete and what were your numbers if you don't mind me asking? Hopefully I'll hear back soon as well. And to respond to your earlier question, i applied to a few other schools in the northeast. Maine is just further north I suppose. Stats-wise it is a safety school for me but it's a lot further up my list despite its numbers being lower. To me it just seems like it would be a nice place to go to school and live. So if the price is right then there's a decent chance I'd end up going there.

cultband

Postby cultband » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:08 pm

checking in.
App went complete 11/14 and under review 11/19.

I'm from MA and have been going to maine for vacation just about every year since birth. I really love portland.

nmlf16

Postby nmlf16 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:05 pm

moxiewhoopiepie wrote:I submitted a complete application about 11/10. Seems to be about a three week turnaround, so possibly next week for you?

I was 3.8/157.

I suppose my stats could place me at other schools, but Maine is ideal in my mind. I grew up in Portland, so being able to come back to town--I'm currently in Boston--is a dream come true. Academically, the school is small enough that you get a good class feel, with a very small ratio, and a close knit student body. At least that's what friends who already go there tell me. I'm also very interested in immigration law, and Portland is ideal for that, both because of Maine Law's clinical offerings, but because of the (relative) diversity that Portland enjoys.

As far as money is concerned I know that the financial aid application isn't due until February, so I'd assume that's when you'd hear about scholarships. I'd definitely be happy to tell you anything and everything about Portland if that aids your decision.

nmlf16 wrote:

So they don't tell you if you received any merit schollys when you get the acceptance?

And I'm just curious for a personal perspective of what it's like to live in Portland. I've never been and can read about it, but I'd be interested in hearing a first hand account.

moxiewhoopiepie

Postby moxiewhoopiepie » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:45 pm

nmlf16 wrote:
moxiewhoopiepie wrote:I submitted a complete application about 11/10. Seems to be about a three week turnaround, so possibly next week for you?

I was 3.8/157.

nmlf16 wrote:

So they don't tell you if you received any merit schollys when you get the acceptance?

And I'm just curious for a personal perspective of what it's like to live in Portland. I've never been and can read about it, but I'd be interested in hearing a first hand account.

As far as aid, I only saw the acceptance through status checker, so I assume there will be more info in the actual letter which was mailed today as well.

Portland, simply put, is incredible. It's small for anyone not from Maine, about 70,000 in the city and close to 400+K in the urban area. On the surface it's a bit funky. I find it really young and vibrant but one could definitely feel that it's a bit out there. Very liberal, very in to the arts, lots of vegetarians, that sort of thing. But because of that, the cultural side of the city is wonderful--lots of concerts, plays, that sort of thing. There's also a AA baseball team, an NBA D-League team and an AHL hockey team.

Diversity may also not be Maine's strong suit, but there's a lot of it in Portland. Lots of immigrants from West Africa and the Middle East. Portland's been a UN refugee re-settlment city since the early 2000s which definitely presents challenges, but definitely adds something that you won't find in northern New England.

Winters are cold, usually in the 20s and 30s until March, but being on the coast protects you from the worst of the snow. Summers are the best on the planet. Hands down. Don't need to explain that much more.

Need I say more? Truly though, shoot any more questions at me that you want. Good luck!

nmlf16

Postby nmlf16 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:04 pm

Accepted via status checker on 12/6 :D

moxiewhoopiepie

Postby moxiewhoopiepie » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:09 pm

nmlf16 wrote:Accepted via status checker on 12/6 :D

Congrats!

moxiewhoopiepie

Postby moxiewhoopiepie » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:08 am

I think I hear crickets chirping on this board...

cultband

Postby cultband » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:17 pm

been under review since 11/19.
i feel i have waited long enough.

bre.kidman

Postby bre.kidman » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:03 am

I'm in, also local. Waiting on scholarships (which won't come out until late January), but feeling optimistic. I got in at Stetson, Northeastern, and American, too, but no money at Northeastern or American and Maine is where the heart is... so we'll see :)

moxiewhoopiepie

Postby moxiewhoopiepie » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:16 am

bre.kidman wrote:I'm in, also local. Waiting on scholarships (which won't come out until late January), but feeling optimistic. I got in at Stetson, Northeastern, and American, too, but no money at Northeastern or American and Maine is where the heart is... so we'll see :)

Congrats, glad to have another local on-board. :D

doglover0702

Postby doglover0702 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:46 pm

I applied in the beginning of October got in on 11/13.

GPA: 3.38
LSAT: 159

As far as scholarships go, I understand that they aren't very generous because they're a state school. However, I believe they go to a scholarship meeting in January.

I applied because it was free and because of their human rights clinic. Anyone heard anything about their clinics?

nmlf16

Postby nmlf16 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:41 pm

I'm hoping they give me enough of a scholarship that it makes sense for me to attend.

cultband

Postby cultband » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:11 pm

in today via status checker.
went complete 11/15.

Pip42

Postby Pip42 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:14 pm

In today via status checker as well.

Buck.Shot

Postby Buck.Shot » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:50 pm

DON'T GO

cultband

Postby cultband » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:40 pm

Buck.Shot wrote:DON'T GO

thanks, i just withdrew

doglover0702

Postby doglover0702 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:53 pm

Anyone know when more decisions are coming out? I know another person who just applied last week but isn't on TLS, and I'm just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat?

xodaryll

Postby xodaryll » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:40 pm

In today via status checker!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”