George Mason 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ironbmike

Bronze

Re: George Mason 2016

Post by ironbmike » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:47 pm

Looks like my email paid off. They said "because it is so late in the cycle, there are limited funds available." You jokers I applied in Jan and got admitted Feb. Anyways $12k w/ the 1/3 stip.

gitguy

Bronze

Post by gitguy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:53 pm

Received a $10K/yr. offer today via email, also with the top 1/3 stip. Ouch.

illiniguy1551

Bronze

Post by illiniguy1551 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:55 pm

George Mason is going to get murdered in admissions this year with its stupid top third stipulation. Every single one of my other scholarships does not have a stipulation, even second tier schools like DePaul and Chicago Kent have dropped the strings on schollys.

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:11 pm

illiniguy1551 wrote:George Mason is going to get murdered in admissions this year with its stupid top third stipulation. Every single one of my other scholarships does not have a stipulation, even second tier schools like DePaul and Chicago Kent have dropped the strings on schollys.
Yup. Not sure what they're thinking. GG Mason.

deuceindc

Bronze

Post by deuceindc » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:17 pm

ironbmike wrote:
illiniguy1551 wrote:George Mason is going to get murdered in admissions this year with its stupid top third stipulation. Every single one of my other scholarships does not have a stipulation, even second tier schools like DePaul and Chicago Kent have dropped the strings on schollys.
At least Santa Clara and Chicago Kent offer non-trivial amounts of money. At Mason, I'd rather get waived into in-state tuition. Stips are one thing - 8k/yr for top 1/3 is bonkers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:36 pm

deuceindc wrote:
ironbmike wrote:
At least Santa Clara and Chicago Kent offer non-trivial amounts of money. At Mason, I'd rather get waived into in-state tuition. Stips are one thing - 8k/yr for top 1/3 is bonkers.
And that Arlington COL...

un bon avocat

New

Post by un bon avocat » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:13 pm

Just got invited to the Summer Trial Program at GMU Law. Anyone know if this is a good idea? It seems like it would be a worth a shot to get off the waitlist.

hoogs23

Bronze

Post by hoogs23 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:53 pm

Just withdrew. Hopefully that gives a seat/money to one of you.

deuceindc

Bronze

Post by deuceindc » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:49 pm

un bon avocat wrote:Just got invited to the Summer Trial Program at GMU Law. Anyone know if this is a good idea? It seems like it would be a worth a shot to get off the waitlist.
This is their "Survivor: GMU" thing, right? Where they put you and other WL'ed people in a 1-week trial of classes with exams and papers to see who makes it off the waitlist? It sounds fucking miserable, but if you go, I want to know when and where it is so I can film it because the entertainment value would be OFF. THE. CHARTS.

Seriously though, you're basically buying a $100 lottery ticket and the prize is $180k of debt and a Mason Law degree. If that sounds like a lottery you want to win, well, do it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

un bon avocat

New

Post by un bon avocat » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:03 am

This is their "Survivor: GMU" thing, right? Where they put you and other WL'ed people in a 1-week trial of classes with exams and papers to see who makes it off the waitlist? It sounds fucking miserable, but if you go, I want to know when and where it is so I can film it because the entertainment value would be OFF. THE. CHARTS.

Seriously though, you're basically buying a $100 lottery ticket and the prize is $180k of debt and a Mason Law degree. If that sounds like a lottery you want to win, well, do it.[/quote]

Yes, it is basically a 'hunger games' scenario. It does sound daunting, but I'm thinking there's nothing to lose. Either it would get me in, or at the least leave me with a week of law school experience.

gator32

New

Post by gator32 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:43 pm

un bon avocat wrote:This is their "Survivor: GMU" thing, right? Where they put you and other WL'ed people in a 1-week trial of classes with exams and papers to see who makes it off the waitlist? It sounds fucking miserable, but if you go, I want to know when and where it is so I can film it because the entertainment value would be OFF. THE. CHARTS.

Seriously though, you're basically buying a $100 lottery ticket and the prize is $180k of debt and a Mason Law degree. If that sounds like a lottery you want to win, well, do it.

Yes, it is basically a 'hunger games' scenario. It does sound daunting, but I'm thinking there's nothing to lose. Either it would get me in, or at the least leave me with a week of law school experience.[/quote]

I just got in off the WL and am waiting to see if they offered me any $, but from reading this thread I am not holding my breath. Looks like I'll be sticking at UR.

As for this trial thing, it sounds like a scam IMO. You are paying for an opportunity to be accepted with no scholarship? Not a good deal, and a way for the school to make money. Don't do it.

bluegreen

Bronze

Post by bluegreen » Wed May 15, 2013 12:27 am

gator32 wrote:
un bon avocat wrote:This is their "Survivor: GMU" thing, right? Where they put you and other WL'ed people in a 1-week trial of classes with exams and papers to see who makes it off the waitlist? It sounds fucking miserable, but if you go, I want to know when and where it is so I can film it because the entertainment value would be OFF. THE. CHARTS.

Yes, it is basically a 'hunger games' scenario. It does sound daunting, but I'm thinking there's nothing to lose. Either it would get me in, or at the least leave me with a week of law school experience.
I just got in off the WL and am waiting to see if they offered me any $, but from reading this thread I am not holding my breath. Looks like I'll be sticking at UR.

As for this trial thing, it sounds like a scam IMO. You are paying for an opportunity to be accepted with no scholarship? Not a good deal, and a way for the school to make money. Don't do it.[/quote]

Woww...so glad I withdrew last week. I don't think I've ever heard anything so ridic

bluegreen

Bronze

Post by bluegreen » Wed May 15, 2013 12:29 am

Yes, it is basically a 'hunger games' scenario. It does sound daunting, but I'm thinking there's nothing to lose. Either it would get me in, or at the least leave me with a week of law school experience.[/quote]

how much would it cost you total to do this? do they cover flight, room, meals, everything? unless you're doing it for free, you have quite a bit to lose...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed May 15, 2013 12:08 pm

tagging because I want to see how this Hunger Games Battle Royale scenario works out

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Wed May 15, 2013 1:03 pm

cusenation wrote:tagging because I want to see how this Hunger Games Battle Royale scenario works out

gator32

New

Post by gator32 » Wed May 15, 2013 2:39 pm

bluegreen wrote: how much would it cost you total to do this? do they cover flight, room, meals, everything? unless you're doing it for free, you have quite a bit to lose...

No idea, but Nova Southeastern University outside of Ft Lauderdale, FL has been doing this for many years. They set some standard that you must achieve a certain grade in 2 classes (from what I have heard from others) and set it up so the majority of students do not meet that requirement and therefore don't get a seat in the class. It's just a nice way for them to make money, and it has been going on since the 80s or early 90s there I believe.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”