University of Richmond c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Carter N

Re: University of Richmond c/o 2016

Postby Carter N » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:17 am

Damnit, I got the "your application has been received," email two days ago but no call. Seems like a bad sign now :(

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:41 pm

Checking in.

I really love the campus and the area... I want to get out of NY/NJ - No way I can afford to stay here, plus Richmond seems a lot more laid-back; but I've only been there once.

Can anyone else comment on the living conditions, quality of life, etc... I did some research online and all signs point to a solid living environment. I am not one for big cities, but I also understand that's where the jobs are - Will Richmond give me that happy-medium, compared to NYC/NJ.

8)
Last edited by dirtrida2 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:28 pm

Last edited by wannabelawstudent on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:34 pm

I sent in my app early this morning and I also replied to the fee waiver email.

How long did it take for you guys to get an email response?

Pip42

Postby Pip42 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:44 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:I sent in my app early this morning and I also replied to the fee waiver email.

Response to the fee waiver? A day.

Carter N

Postby Carter N » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:22 am

dirtrida2 wrote:How long did it take for you guys to get an email response?

Submitted App 1/3, got "we have received your app" email on 1/15

One thing I am confused about is in the email they say once CAS arrives the application will be ready for review but I would think it would have gotten there pretty soon after completion because it is electronic? :?

Also regarding your quality of life questions. I am currently in Richmond interning at the Virginia General Assembly and I love Richmond so far. The university is actually about 10-15 (with traffic) minutes away from downtown so you aren't actually in the city while at school. The area surrounding the law school is very beautiful and upscale (gated mansions, country clubs, etc). I am currently living on Capitol Square and it is equally as nice. Big park with the state capitol building in the middle. Supreme Court of VA, Library of VA, Commonwealth Attorney's Office all on the same few blocks is an awesome environment.

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:59 am

Carter N wrote:

One thing I am confused about is in the email they say once CAS arrives the application will be ready for review but I would think it would have gotten there pretty soon after completion because it is electronic? :?

Also regarding your quality of life questions. I am currently in Richmond interning at the Virginia General Assembly and I love Richmond so far. The university is actually about 10-15 (with traffic) minutes away from downtown so you aren't actually in the city while at school. The area surrounding the law school is very beautiful and upscale (gated mansions, country clubs, etc). I am currently living on Capitol Square and it is equally as nice. Big park with the state capitol building in the middle. Supreme Court of VA, Library of VA, Commonwealth Attorney's Office all on the same few blocks is an awesome environment.

That sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.

Cost of living? I definitely can't see it being as high as NY/NJ. $1000 a month here puts you in a closet with no utilities. You want to buy a house? Good luck doing that on a lawyers salary.

I'm definitely excited to visit again.

ashleydy10

Postby ashleydy10 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:56 am

Carter N wrote:

just to address your confusion: U of Richmond waits to receive the hardcopy from LSAC before they send anything under review. So technically they have your app, but it is not under review until they receive the paper copy. This is only the 2nd school that I have experienced this with. The hardcopy takes anywhere from 3-10 business days for them to receive.

ashleydy10

Postby ashleydy10 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:58 am

Pip42 wrote:
dirtrida2 wrote:I sent in my app early this morning and I also replied to the fee waiver email.

Response to the fee waiver? A day.

Same. Within a few hours they emailed me back stating they have taken care of my fee.

tony2167

Postby tony2167 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:41 am

Re: quality of life in Richmond, I've gone to school here for the last 3 years. Richmond, depending on the area, can be very nice or downright destitute (which is probably true of most cities, but the line is pretty thin here). The area around U of R is very nice, but is a solid 15 minutes from anything interesting to do being in the far west end. I'd look into the Fan and Museum District neighborhoods if I were you. A 1br/1ba fairly spacious apartment will run you about $700/month there, which may or may not include utilities, but those are both lively areas with lots to see/do. Depending on how open you are to less desirable areas you can certainly live a lot, lot cheaper ;)

If you have any more questions about the area feel free to PM me.

sl5uw13

Postby sl5uw13 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:39 pm

tony2167 wrote:Re: quality of life in Richmond, I've gone to school here for the last 3 years. Richmond, depending on the area, can be very nice or downright destitute (which is probably true of most cities, but the line is pretty thin here). The area around U of R is very nice, but is a solid 15 minutes from anything interesting to do being in the far west end. I'd look into the Fan and Museum District neighborhoods if I were you. A 1br/1ba fairly spacious apartment will run you about $700/month there, which may or may not include utilities, but those are both lively areas with lots to see/do. Depending on how open you are to less desirable areas you can certainly live a lot, lot cheaper ;)

If you have any more questions about the area feel free to PM me.

same about going to school in richmond. there are some decent areas around UR. cary street which has cool shops and restaurants is probably like a 8 minute drive.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:49 pm

I've lived in Richmond for ten years, so I can give some more info on the city.

It's a pretty laid back town. I live in the Fan area, which is close to the VCU campus and most of the good bars in the city (Shockoe Bottom is the other area with concentrated night life, but it's a bit more clubby). U of R is in a nice area, but not far away from the city itself, so commuting will not be a chore. Parking in the city isn't good, but it's far from impossible. The city has a weird thing where one block you could be in a fairly upscale neighborhood, and the next block it's the ghetto (especially the area right around Byrd Park). Housing isn't too expensive. I'm in a 3BR that runs 1150 a month + utilities, and it's a house with a backyard and parking and all that. The Museum District is the area where you'll find the best bang for your buck housing wise, and it's also not too far from both the bars that are worth going to (walking distance) and UofR (maybe 5 minute drive), while being close to grocery stores and Carytown and some good restaurants. Apartments in that area can run from 600-800, but you can find deals or nicer places if you wish.

Ultimately, it's a pretty good town. Not too big, but not so small that there's nothing to do. A lot of the city gets quiet when VCU and UofR are on break, but that's not a bad thing. If you want any other info, such as what neighborhoods to avoid or anything like that, feel free to send me a PM. I know this city really well living here for a long time and working for a Pizza place (you learn where the bad neighborhoods are really quickly working at a pizza place).

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:47 am

Thanks to everyone for the responses, I appreciate the information.

Now its just time to play the waiting game.

You might just be getting those PM's from me to get the insider scoop; contingent on UR giving me the right offer of course.

:)

Carter N

Postby Carter N » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:46 am

Last edited by Carter N on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:50 am

Carter N wrote:Got the call tonight. I'm in.

2.6/162. strong softs, non urm.

So stoked to be a Spider, see you all in the fall!

Congrats dude, you are definitely going?

Did they say anything about reimbursing travel expenses to come visit the school?

Any ASW dates?

ashleydy10

Postby ashleydy10 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:34 am

Congratulations!!

Patiently waiting over here! they keep teasing me with mailers and such! ughhhhhhhhh

bandenjamin

Postby bandenjamin » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:56 am

dirtrida2 wrote:

Congrats dude, you are definitely going?

Did they say anything about reimbursing travel expenses to come visit the school?

Any ASW dates?

When I got the acceptance call a few months ago they did mention a stipend for a travel date. I think you just need to email their admissions office for info on it.

Carter N

Postby Carter N » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:59 am

Definitely going. No info on travel expenses (I think it's up to $200 though) because I live in Richmond right now. Dean Rahman called me at 9pm and I was conveinently already at a bar lmaoooo

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:22 pm

Carter N wrote:Definitely going. No info on travel expenses (I think it's up to $200 though) because I live in Richmond right now. Dean Rahman called me at 9pm and I was conveinently already at a bar lmaoooo

That's a win

Carter N

Postby Carter N » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:36 am

Anyone gotten an official word on scholarships yet?

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:38 am

Carter N wrote:Anyone gotten an official word on scholarships yet?

Slow it down man, I'm still waiting on my phone call first :P

Carter N

Postby Carter N » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:05 pm

hahaha I'm ready to go!

Psib337

Postby Psib337 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:00 pm

Just got my admissions packet! Nothing in there about scholarships but when I got my call Dean Rahman she mentioned there may be money coming my way so I guess it'll come later.

Carter N

Postby Carter N » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:36 pm

I might email the dean and ask about it. I didn't really give her a chance to talk on the phone about money through all my "oh my gods!"

crossingfingers

Postby crossingfingers » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:51 pm

I would hold off on the email. So far the most anyone's heard is that info is coming sometime this month. No one (at least that I've heard of) has received anything yet. Congrats, by the way!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”