University of Richmond c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
URlaw

Re: University of Richmond c/o 2016

Postby URlaw » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:33 am

Snowboarder1588 wrote:
shedl001 wrote:Do they have certain days or times they call you? Also how are applicants notified if they are denied or waitlisted....?

I'm going to assume that they WL/Deny via email/mail. Although if anyone know for sure please correct me.

You'll receive a letter in the mail notfying you that you've been waitlisted or denied. If you've been waitlisted, you'll either be on the priority waitlist or the general waitlist. If you're on the former you have a better shot at getting in. Richmond is one of the few schools that has 2 waitlists.

Carter N

Postby Carter N » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:58 pm

So who here is actually going to Richmond? I am going to submit my deposit this week.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:22 pm

Carter N wrote:So who here is actually going to Richmond? I am going to submit my deposit this week.

There's 0% chance I deposit before hearing about what scholarship I get.

Carter N

Postby Carter N » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:04 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:
Carter N wrote:So who here is actually going to Richmond? I am going to submit my deposit this week.

If you weren't part of the initial scholarship offers then you won't hear before the deposit deadline. That is what I was told by Dean Rahman.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:32 pm

Carter N wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:

If you weren't part of the initial scholarship offers then you won't hear before the deposit deadline. That is what I was told by Dean Rahman.

shit.

Carter N

Postby Carter N » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:54 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
Carter N wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:

shit.

I don't know how this will apply to those who have just recently gotten in, though. Obviously if you applied later, but meet some of their merit scholarship requirements, then they would offer money.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:25 pm

Carter N wrote:
I don't know how this will apply to those who have just recently gotten in, though. Obviously if you applied later, but meet some of their merit scholarship requirements, then they would offer money.

hopefully that's the case

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:00 pm

I've received full rides to peer schools and half tuition at schools ranked 20 points higher...

Not sure how a school ranked in the 50's can afford to be so stingy on scholarship money - I can only assume that they have a very small incoming class or wait late into the cycle to see who puts down a deposit?

Meh

alawstudentsometime

Postby alawstudentsometime » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:34 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:I've received full rides to peer schools and half tuition at schools ranked 20 points higher...

Not sure how a school ranked in the 50's can afford to be so stingy on scholarship money - I can only assume that they have a very small incoming class or wait late into the cycle to see who puts down a deposit?

Meh

Very small class. One of the smallest. They cancelled the SF dinner.

I'm not going without a scholarship despite the low COA.

Carter N

Postby Carter N » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:09 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:I've received full rides to peer schools and half tuition at schools ranked 20 points higher...

Meh

UofR is under ranked imo. With Richmond being one of the biggest (3rd IIRC) legal markets in the country Richmond has great opportunities for its very small class.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:28 pm

Carter N wrote:

Meh

UofR is under ranked imo. With Richmond being one of the biggest (3rd IIRC) legal markets in the country Richmond has great opportunities for its very small class.

I'm sorry but can you explain the 3rd biggest legal market comment?

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:46 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:
Carter N wrote:

Meh

I'm sorry but can you explain the 3rd biggest legal market comment?

I think third is an exaggeration though I agree it should be rated better. I'd say top three are NYC DC and Chicago? I'm not really knowledgable on the west..

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:48 pm

Yeah I don't know either....which is why I asked. Tbf Chicago is an oversaturated bloodbath right now.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:51 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:Yeah I don't know either....which is why I asked. Tbf Chicago is an oversaturated bloodbath right now.

True but I think size wise, without looking at growth potential/saturation, it would be up there. Don't get me wrong, Richmond IS a great legal market base, just not in the top three in my opinion..

ironbmike

Postby ironbmike » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:11 am

Yeah how could Richmond be in the top 3, or even 5? Doesn't add up.

jayman12

Postby jayman12 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:16 pm

It's not the third biggest legal market at all. But Richmond has the more courts than any city other than D.C. and Boston. I'm assuming thats what is meant

DeltPreLaw

Postby DeltPreLaw » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:02 pm

Removed
Last edited by DeltPreLaw on Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:12 pm

DeltPreLaw wrote:Current 1L here. Thought I'd throw some commentary into the mix. This site didn't have much on U of R when I applied.

I am an out of state resident (East Coast Still). I have managed to get a Summer Associate position back in my home state for the summer so the school has some reach. Top 10% though, so Im sure my luck would be different if I slacked off.

Biggest complaint is that the size of class makes it feel like high school. The cliques are miserable, but I think that is any school. Competitiveness isn't as bad as I thought though. Very few gunners and the majority of the class seems to do things on the weekends as the library is quite empty.

Richmond is a great city, although I won't say it is in the top 3 markets (not even close) there are many legal jobs in the area still because of the state legislature (in addition to state lobbying agencies), proximity to DC, and the 4th circuit being located in Richmond. Problem is you are competing with UVa grads and W&M grads. [Richmond places a good number at Hunton & Williams and Troutman Sanders in RVa.)

Career development office is above average compared to my friends who attend other higher ranked schools (I think this is tied to the small class size.) New Staff this year, with a new dean, and they have been hauling ass. They didn't help me much with OOS applications but if you want a job in Richmond they have the connections for you.

Faculty is amazing. I think that is the school's strongest selling point. If you told 0L me that I would have said "Who Cares" but they have been the best group of individuals I have met in higher education (both parents are college professors). I have had legal lions of their fields as professors and they act like my visit to their office is much more important than the Washington Post interviewer on the phone.

Cost of Attending isn't absurd. However, most people here are paying sticker or close to it. You can spend 1200 a month on housing or you can spend 250 it all depends on how you want to live. U of R is in what I like to call the "white bubble" of Richmond. Very safe, and very nice area to live. The school is basically surrounded by a bunch of private schools and country clubs.

As an out of state kid I can say that I feel like this is the UVa reject school. A lot of UVa grads that had mediocore GPAs and great LSATS come here. My section alone (55 kids) has around 20 UVa kids. That being said, there are people from all over still ( CA, TX, NY, NJ, MD, MA, UT, NC, GA, SC, couple of Canadians).

Oh and there is no diversity. My class is 90% white...The remaining 10% are either international students or have the same economic background as the remaining 90%. (That sounds insensitive, sorry.)

This is awesome thanks for the advice ! Unlike the posts purely to promote the school this is really objective and good info. The diversity part catches me by surprise though given that it's in a fairly large city hah

kjb

Postby kjb » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:00 pm

shameless postcard bump

rschwe5

Postby rschwe5 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:31 pm

i just received a brochure about their summer law program in Cambridge..

Richmond.. Please accept or deny, a new brochure is really taking a toll on me

cartejul

Postby cartejul » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:46 am

rschwe5 wrote:i just received a brochure about their summer law program in Cambridge..

Richmond.. Please accept or deny, a new brochure is really taking a toll on me

Word.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:05 am

FYI for those that are waiting on scholarships, the admissions office just told me that they will have all offers out before the first seat deposit is due (april 15)

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:26 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:FYI for those that are waiting on scholarships, the admissions office just told me that they will have all offers out before the first seat deposit is due (april 15)

you make me happy

hokieblood

Postby hokieblood » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:40 pm

I paid my deposit last week.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:56 pm

hokieblood wrote:

I paid my deposit last week.

Go to VT?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”