University of Richmond c/o 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Carter N

New

Re: University of Richmond c/o 2016

Post by Carter N » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:28 pm

URlaw wrote:Hey everyone, I'm currently a 1L at UR. Congrats to those of you who have been accepted so far! To those of you still waiting to be hear back/those who have been waitlisted, be patient and don't freak out, UR accepts people even into July. I know when I was a 0L I had no idea what I should expect, how things work at UR etc. and found 1L advise helpful on these boards so I figured I'd extend the same courtesy. If any of ya'll have any questions feel free to ask, we're currently on SB so I should have more time than usual to respond. Once again congrats and I hope ya'll are looking forward to a great first year at UR.
What would you recommend a 0L do leading up to the first semester of school?
lhanvt13 wrote:
fragrock wrote:Just FYI I didn't get told over the phone, had no initial scholarship with my acceptance package and received $25,000 several weeks later. I would call to check 2-3 weeks after your call, and If not then, then definitely there may be some leeway after the deposit deadline when they know how much money is freed up.
Greyhound42 wrote:I can vouch for the fact that not all scholarships are given over the phone. I was awarded 25k a few days in an email a few days after a phone call with no mention of a scholarship.
This is comforting.. Okay I just need to relax and see what happens. Should I email and ask them next week if Richmond stays quiet? Since deposit days are close
From what I have come to understand via conversations with the Dean and financial aid: There were initial acceptances who, because of some outstanding statistic (high GPA or LSAT or both) were a statistical match for UofR's scholarship algorithm. Those are a lot of the people who you see posting 2 months ago saying they were told on the phone about their offers.

Now, Richmond has made their initial and/or a majority of their scholarship offers and will be waiting until the deposit deadline in April before offering any more money. (This is if you fall outside of the automatic scholarship trigger, e.g. high numbers). It may be that as people they have offered spot/money to accept other offers they send out scholarship offers on a rolling basis. But that is just a guess as to why many were told on the phone during acceptance and why others have been "surprised" a few weeks after.

tony2167

Bronze

Post by tony2167 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:31 am

I can echo the statements of other posters in that scholarships aren't always awarded via phone call; I received mine through email.

Got a text message a few nights ago from a number I didn't recognize asking me to attend a brunch with current students in DC. I didn't respond, then about a half hour later I got a follow up text from the same number telling me it was Dean Rahman. I'm really glad didn't respond to the initial message with a "who the fuck is this"?

URlaw

New

Post by URlaw » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:15 am

Carter N wrote:
URlaw wrote:Hey everyone, I'm currently a 1L at UR. Congrats to those of you who have been accepted so far! To those of you still waiting to be hear back/those who have been waitlisted, be patient and don't freak out, UR accepts people even into July. I know when I was a 0L I had no idea what I should expect, how things work at UR etc. and found 1L advise helpful on these boards so I figured I'd extend the same courtesy. If any of ya'll have any questions feel free to ask, we're currently on SB so I should have more time than usual to respond. Once again congrats and I hope ya'll are looking forward to a great first year at UR.
What would you recommend a 0L do leading up to the first semester of school?

I would recommend you relax as much as possible. If you don't exercise a lot, try and get into a routine that you'll be able to maintain during the school year. Take a trip or do something you've wanted to do that you haven't gotten a chance to yet, because once you start school you won't be doing much. In terms of actual preparation, some of the prep books are helpful but in my opinion they're not going to do a lot. Make sure you read, but read books you enjoy. I'm personally a big history buff, so I read a number of civil war books over the summer in order to get myself acclimated to the heavy reading that awaited me in my first year.

Carter N

New

Post by Carter N » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:26 pm

URlaw wrote: I would recommend you relax as much as possible. If you don't exercise a lot, try and get into a routine that you'll be able to maintain during the school year. Take a trip or do something you've wanted to do that you haven't gotten a chance to yet, because once you start school you won't be doing much. In terms of actual preparation, some of the prep books are helpful but in my opinion they're not going to do a lot. Make sure you read, but read books you enjoy. I'm personally a big history buff, so I read a number of civil war books over the summer in order to get myself acclimated to the heavy reading that awaited me in my first year.
Thanks for the tips. Luckily I am in a non-stop work environment at the General Assembly. I definitely need to read more (besides the pages of Virginia Code I am usually buried in :roll: )

MR2013

New

Post by MR2013 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:55 pm

Has anyone been waitlisted or rejected yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:58 pm

According to Mike, Richmond moved up this year https://twitter.com/SpiveyConsult

"Wake Forest moves up, Richmond up, Penn State up. 'Grats to all!"

Carter N

New

Post by Carter N » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:30 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:Richmond moved up this year https://twitter.com/SpiveyConsult
Someone got wind that I was coming :lol:

kjb

New

Post by kjb » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:57 pm

completed 2/5

for a school I've already applied to and have yet to be accepted to they sure do send a stack of promotional mail

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:27 pm

kjb wrote:completed 2/5

for a school I've already applied to and have yet to be accepted to they sure do send a stack of promotional mail
It doesn't stop once you're accepted. I'm seriously contemplating withdrawing just because of ho obsurd it is. Just send me my scholly

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:21 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:

It doesn't stop once you're accepted. I'm seriously contemplating withdrawing just because of ho obsurd it is. Just send me my scholly
Yea and what about the constant emails?

"The Docket"

Damn things get my hopes up, thinking its scholarship information.

Carter N

New

Post by Carter N » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:48 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:

Probably could knock off a couple hundred from tuition if they didn't send so much mail :lol:
dirtrida2 wrote: Yea and what about the constant emails?

"The Docket"

Damn things get my hopes up, thinking its scholarship information.
The Docket is pretty useful for staying up to date on what is happening at the law school though.
Last edited by Carter N on Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kjb

New

Post by kjb » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:09 am

No joke. I think it's safe to assume that the majority of applicants get the same volume of mail. Between postage fees/printing/time spent mailing, they definitely are throwing away money.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:25 am

Yeah id be more appreciative if they just sent me $50 with a "please go to Richmond. We do so well we give money away" post it rather than this. And they'd save money.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:49 pm

Another day....another Richmond postcard.

nbahri05

New

Post by nbahri05 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:52 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:Another day....another Richmond postcard.

Hahahahaha. Whenever I come home from work my mother throws another one at me. She is more annoyed than I am.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:54 pm

nbahri05 wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:Another day....another Richmond postcard.

Hahahahaha. Whenever I come home from work my mother throws another one at me. She is more annoyed than I am.
Today's card highlighted "The Institution of Actual Innocence"

bowie.alan

New

Post by bowie.alan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:18 pm

Accepted at U of Richmond tonight. Just got a call from the Dean.

Application Received 1/29

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kjb

New

Post by kjb » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:49 pm

bowie.alan wrote:Accepted at U of Richmond tonight. Just got a call from the Dean.

care to disclose your numbers?

bowie.alan

New

Post by bowie.alan » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:19 am

GPA - 3.21
LSAT - 153

bowie.alan

New

Post by bowie.alan » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:23 am

kjb wrote:
bowie.alan wrote:Accepted at U of Richmond tonight. Just got a call from the Dean.

GPA - 3.21
LSAT - 153

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:28 am

bowie.alan wrote:
kjb wrote:

GPA - 3.21
LSAT - 153

URM?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

shedl001

New

Post by shedl001 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:05 pm

Do they have certain days or times they call you? Also how are applicants notified if they are denied or waitlisted....?

Snowboarder1588

Bronze

Post by Snowboarder1588 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:42 pm

shedl001 wrote:Do they have certain days or times they call you? Also how are applicants notified if they are denied or waitlisted....?
I'm going to assume that they WL/Deny via email/mail. Although if anyone know for sure please correct me.

Carter N

New

Post by Carter N » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:40 pm

shedl001 wrote:Do they have certain days or times they call you? Also how are applicants notified if they are denied or waitlisted....?
I got my call at 9ish PM. I have heard others say they get calls even later than that.

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:20 am

Carter N wrote:
I got my call at 9ish PM. I have heard others say they get calls even later than that.
Around 3pm on a Saturday Soo... Pretty random I'd say

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”