LSU C/O 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Iceman90

Re: LSU C/O 2016

Postby Iceman90 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:36 pm

Hey guys. I was admitted as well but am still waiting on applications. I was waitlisted at American University in D.C. but not sure I would even attend without a scholarship. I will probably end up going to LSU anyway because it definitely more economical and I have a lot of ties here. I am also from the Baton Rouge Area by the way.

ashleydy10

Postby ashleydy10 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:41 pm

Iceman90 wrote:Hey guys. I was admitted as well but am still waiting on applications. I was waitlisted at American University in D.C. but not sure I would even attend without a scholarship. I will probably end up going to LSU anyway because it definitely more economical and I have a lot of ties here. I am also from the Baton Rouge Area by the way.

awesome! I need someone with living situation knowledge lol. If you could help, that would be great. I am already looking into apartments and have a few i want to at least drive by while in BR this weekend. Any suggestions on areas to live? I hear Northgate side isnt too hot.. little ghetto and sketchy.. so im hoping to stay on the south side. I have an american bulldog that will be moving with me so that also limits my options a bit :( she is 65 pounds and on a lot of restricted breed lists here in FL. hoping i dont run into that in BR.

I had some DC schools on my list. I havent heard from American yet, but I've decided it just doesnt make sense for me. Too saturated, too expensive, cost of living is high.. etc.. all things im sure youve considered lol.

togepi

Postby togepi » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:47 pm

I emailed admissions. Who should i talk to? Im abroad right now so its hard to call them directly

ashleydy10

Postby ashleydy10 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:50 pm

togepi wrote:I emailed admissions. Who should i talk to? Im abroad right now so its hard to call them directly

I'll try and find out for you. I'll PM you an email address if i get one.

togepi

Postby togepi » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:58 pm

ashleydy10 wrote:
togepi wrote:I emailed admissions. Who should i talk to? Im abroad right now so its hard to call them directly

Much appreciated :)

ashleydy10

Postby ashleydy10 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:44 pm

togepi wrote:
ashleydy10 wrote:

Much appreciated :)

pretty sure i PM'd you... but it isnt in the sent messages box so i have no idea. lol let me kno if it went through.

Iceman90

Postby Iceman90 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:32 pm

ashleydy10 wrote:
Iceman90 wrote:Hey guys. I was admitted as well but am still waiting on applications. I was waitlisted at American University in D.C. but not sure I would even attend without a scholarship. I will probably end up going to LSU anyway because it definitely more economical and I have a lot of ties here. I am also from the Baton Rouge Area by the way.

awesome! I need someone with living situation knowledge lol. If you could help, that would be great. I am already looking into apartments and have a few i want to at least drive by while in BR this weekend. Any suggestions on areas to live? I hear Northgate side isnt too hot.. little ghetto and sketchy.. so im hoping to stay on the south side. I have an american bulldog that will be moving with me so that also limits my options a bit :( she is 65 pounds and on a lot of restricted breed lists here in FL. hoping i dont run into that in BR.

I had some DC schools on my list. I havent heard from American yet, but I've decided it just doesnt make sense for me. Too saturated, too expensive, cost of living is high.. etc.. all things im sure youve considered lol.

Okay, several things in this post, sorry guys.
Well I live with my parents in Port Allen, It is about 10 mins from LSU. Cost of living over there is a little cheaper I here. But one of my friends lives about 5 mins from LSU at Place Du Plantier on Lee Dr. I think his rent is like 800 a month, they are nice and not in a sketchy part. My other friend lived off of millerville road in some really nice apartments for about 850 a month, but they were really nice. Northgate is sketchy once you get past about two block. There are tons of apartments at southgate, but they are typically college like and are not too nice. Do not know prices though. Anything else let me know

Okay next. whoever is head of the facebook group, please add me my name is Phillip, I just sent a request.

And final thing. Is anybody going to that cocktail party for admitted students?

Toshiba31

Postby Toshiba31 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:57 pm

ashleydy10- yes I'm pretty set. I have a husband and two small boys so I was praying that I didn't have to relocate them! LSU is a bit of a commute but it beats having to move everyone.

ashleydy10

Postby ashleydy10 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:51 pm

Toshiba31 wrote:ashleydy10- yes I'm pretty set. I have a husband and two small boys so I was praying that I didn't have to relocate them! LSU is a bit of a commute but it beats having to move everyone.

Well great!! I think we have our first official Tiger lol

geauxtigers2009

Postby geauxtigers2009 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:13 pm

ashleydy10 wrote:

I've lived in BR for the past four years for undergrad so I might be able to shed some light on the living situation for you. Definitely stay away from northgate area, it goes down hill fairly quickly once you live the gates of campus. There are several nice condo and apartment buildings down burbank all the way from Burbank/Nicholson to Burbank/Bluebonnet....with the exception of the gardere area. Also many nice condos down Brightside. Of course alot of these places are going to have undergrad mixed in. If you want to get away from undergrads might try the Garden District or a few other nice places around town away from campus. There are plenty of nice places available to live though close to campus, but there are definitely a few areas of town you want to stay away from. If you have any specific questions about areas of town or apartment building just message me

geauxtigers2009

Postby geauxtigers2009 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:15 pm

Iceman90 wrote:
ashleydy10 wrote:

Okay, several things in this post, sorry guys.
Well I live with my parents in Port Allen, It is about 10 mins from LSU. Cost of living over there is a little cheaper I here. But one of my friends lives about 5 mins from LSU at Place Du Plantier on Lee Dr. I think his rent is like 800 a month, they are nice and not in a sketchy part. My other friend lived off of millerville road in some really nice apartments for about 850 a month, but they were really nice. Northgate is sketchy once you get past about two block. There are tons of apartments at southgate, but they are typically college like and are not too nice. Do not know prices though. Anything else let me know

Okay next. whoever is head of the facebook group, please add me my name is Phillip, I just sent a request.

And final thing. Is anybody going to that cocktail party for admitted students?

I'll probably end up going to the cocktail party, worst case scenario you grab a few free drinks from it.

ashleydy10

Postby ashleydy10 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:28 pm

geauxtigers2009 wrote:
ashleydy10 wrote:

I've lived in BR for the past four years for undergrad so I might be able to shed some light on the living situation for you. Definitely stay away from northgate area, it goes down hill fairly quickly once you live the gates of campus. There are several nice condo and apartment buildings down burbank all the way from Burbank/Nicholson to Burbank/Bluebonnet....with the exception of the gardere area. Also many nice condos down Brightside. Of course alot of these places are going to have undergrad mixed in. If you want to get away from undergrads might try the Garden District or a few other nice places around town away from campus. There are plenty of nice places available to live though close to campus, but there are definitely a few areas of town you want to stay away from. If you have any specific questions about areas of town or apartment building just message me

Thanks! I def want to stay somewhere nice and modern. There are a few places that allow dogs that I wrote down just to drive by while there this weekend. Northgate at LSU (i believe this is campus housing, not sure, but they allow large dogs), Southgate Towers, the Cottages, University Edge at LSU (i think this is also campus housing, as in affiliated with the univ), and Oakbrook Village. Any of those decent? I assume theyre probably crawling with undergrads. I dont mind that too much bc i want to be near campus, but for obvious reasons it isnt necessarily a good thing.

geauxtigers2009

Postby geauxtigers2009 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:23 pm

ashleydy10 wrote:
geauxtigers2009 wrote:
ashleydy10 wrote:

Thanks! I def want to stay somewhere nice and modern. There are a few places that allow dogs that I wrote down just to drive by while there this weekend. Northgate at LSU (i believe this is campus housing, not sure, but they allow large dogs), Southgate Towers, the Cottages, University Edge at LSU (i think this is also campus housing, as in affiliated with the univ), and Oakbrook Village. Any of those decent? I assume theyre probably crawling with undergrads. I dont mind that too much bc i want to be near campus, but for obvious reasons it isnt necessarily a good thing.

Northgate isn't affliated with the university, its just an apartment building. It comes off as nice on their website and on their tours but the apartments themselves are actually run down from the few I have been it. It is also bordering on the bad part of town. Southgate towers are really nice and in a prime location, but are also really expensive. The cottages are also very nice and only a couple of years old. Its a huge apartment complex, and yes it is crawling with undergrads. Has a really awesome pool though. University Edge isn't affiliated with the school either. Its actually brand new, I'm not even sure if its opened yet. I think they are just leasing for next year at the moment. They look really nice from what Ive seen and are also in a great location. Oakbrook is nice, but not as flashy as the other ones you mentioned. Southgate and Universtiy Edge are going to be the closest to campus, but the cottages is just like another mile or so down the road. I would avoid Northgate

ashleydy10

Postby ashleydy10 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:48 pm

Great.
That helps a lot! Avoiding north everything lol. I'll stick to the south. University edge just started leasing out like you said .. Have to check these out this weekend. Thanks for your help!

togepi

Postby togepi » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:27 am

Yes, I got your message Ashley, thank you! I'll send the email on Monday or something. I'd like to get a comparable scholarship to what you received.

Also, let me know how the apartments are nearby the law school. I'd like to be within walking distance if possible :)

Toshiba31

Postby Toshiba31 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:21 pm

Just sent in my RSVP for the cocktail party and visiting day (March). I'm starting to get excited! :lol:

Just another plug for anyone wanting to join our facebook group. :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5996432 ... 7/?fref=ts

geauxtigers2009

Postby geauxtigers2009 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:16 pm

togepi wrote:Yes, I got your message Ashley, thank you! I'll send the email on Monday or something. I'd like to get a comparable scholarship to what you received.

Also, let me know how the apartments are nearby the law school. I'd like to be within walking distance if possible :)

Due to the law school's location on campus, there are very few apartments within walking distance. The only two that come to mind are Northgate and The Venue. Both of look nice from the outside but the actual apartments are run down. The immediate area surrounding these apartments is ok because of the recent renovations to the north gate area of campus. But once you move about 300 yards away from them you end up in a bad area. There may be a few other places within walking distance going south on highland road away from the law school, depending on what your idea of walking distance is. The reason there are so few places close to the law school is because its surrounded by the rest of campus on one side and sorority and fraternity house and the University High School on the other.

Acronin689

Postby Acronin689 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:24 am

Pretty sure LSU is going to be it for me. The employment numbers coupled with the scholarship I got sealed it.

Also, they will negotiate scholarships for anybody wondering. I spoke to Jake Henry a few times, sent him my offers and waited about a week and they increased. Don't be afraid to ask, worse they will do is say no.

I'm going to be looking for roommates so anybody interested let me know. I also have a 45 pound dog I'll be bringing.

I'll be at the March 23rd admitted students day and will try to make the cocktail reception but my flight gets in at 3:30 so we'll see.

togepi

Postby togepi » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:01 am

geauxtigers2009 wrote:
togepi wrote:Yes, I got your message Ashley, thank you! I'll send the email on Monday or something. I'd like to get a comparable scholarship to what you received.

Due to the law school's location on campus, there are very few apartments within walking distance. The only two that come to mind are Northgate and The Venue. Both of look nice from the outside but the actual apartments are run down. The immediate area surrounding these apartments is ok because of the recent renovations to the north gate area of campus. But once you move about 300 yards away from them you end up in a bad area. There may be a few other places within walking distance going south on highland road away from the law school, depending on what your idea of walking distance is. The reason there are so few places close to the law school is because its surrounded by the rest of campus on one side and sorority and fraternity house and the University High School on the other.

I guess the next question would be, how bad is the driving situation is you're about 5-10 minutes from campus? More importantly, the parking situation for law students.

Iceman90

Postby Iceman90 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:08 am

Acronin689. I have a question for you. How did you phrase your negotiation email? I am waiting on some other decisions and they are guarantted to be here by the end of march, but I got a substantial offer from Loyola New Orleans

ashleydy10

Postby ashleydy10 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:39 am

Acronin689 wrote:Pretty sure LSU is going to be it for me. The employment numbers coupled with the scholarship I got sealed it.

Also, they will negotiate scholarships for anybody wondering. I spoke to Jake Henry a few times, sent him my offers and waited about a week and they increased. Don't be afraid to ask, worse they will do is say no.

I'm going to be looking for roommates so anybody interested let me know. I also have a 45 pound dog I'll be bringing.

I'll be at the March 23rd admitted students day and will try to make the cocktail reception but my flight gets in at 3:30 so we'll see.

Im bringing a dog too!! she is 65 pounds.. called The Cottages, they said they will accept her pending her breed papers showing she isnt a pittbull. Plllleeassee let me know any info you find on housing that allows big dogs and ill do the same..

lol i was wondering... is it too soon to start looking for a roommate lol?!?!

Acronin689

Postby Acronin689 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:47 pm

Iceman90 wrote:Acronin689. I have a question for you. How did you phrase your negotiation email? I am waiting on some other decisions and they are guarantted to be here by the end of march, but I got a substantial offer from Loyola New Orleans

I sent you a message.

geauxtigers2009

Postby geauxtigers2009 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:02 pm

togepi wrote:
geauxtigers2009 wrote:

I guess the next question would be, how bad is the driving situation is you're about 5-10 minutes from campus? More importantly, the parking situation for law students.

Driving to campus isn't a problem. As long as you live near campus to where you don't have to get on the interstate you will rarely have any problems. But if you do have to get on the interstate it can be bad, as Baton Rouge interstate traffic can be horrible. I live a few miles from campus and it takes me longer to walk to class after parking than it does to drive to campus. But the law school has its own parking lot right next to the law school. I'm not sure how quickly it fills up though. Also they are currently building a brand new parking garage right next to the law school. It should be completed by the fall and I assume law school students will be able to use it as well.

ArchieHicox

Postby ArchieHicox » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:48 pm

I just found out I was accepted via email. I'm still waiting for the acceptance letter and scholarship information (if any). I'm not from the Louisiana area so its going to come down to money and how I like campus. I have to say I was impressed by how fast they rendered a decision.... it took ~3 business days.

ashleydy10

Postby ashleydy10 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:35 pm

Just got back from a fantastic trip to lsu. Lovedddddd everything. It is where I will be in the fall. Learned a lot about housing and the different areas, met a few people, and enjoyed baton rouge. Spent all of today in new Orleans. I can answer any and all questions :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”