UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
apollo2015

Bronze

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Post by apollo2015 » Wed May 29, 2013 7:12 pm

https://www.facebook.com/groups/319850531444941/

Here's the link to the facebook group for Tower residents. I'm not sure if that's been posted in the Class of 2016 or Class of 2014 facebook groups yet. If not, it would be great if someone with access to those could post it there.

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Wed May 29, 2013 10:31 pm

AABergq wrote:I applied for financial aid, with the supplemental application, on time- but still haven't received any news about financial aid (or costs in general aside f/ the standard pamphlet)...those of you in off the waitlist, how long did it take to receive award letters??

And out of curiosity, does anyone know anyone either there or going in that has kids??
If you have kids, please don't go to UCH for their sake.

OneMoreLawHopeful

Silver

Post by OneMoreLawHopeful » Wed May 29, 2013 11:08 pm

AABergq wrote:I applied for financial aid, with the supplemental application, on time- but still haven't received any news about financial aid (or costs in general aside f/ the standard pamphlet)...those of you in off the waitlist, how long did it take to receive award letters??

And out of curiosity, does anyone know anyone either there or going in that has kids??
One of my former section mates has two small children (3 and 5). The school was willing to work with him on a lot of the scheduling first-year (when you don't get to choose your classes). IIRC he was done at~3:30 every day.

I should note that he also has a VERY supportive spouse who helped him through the first and second year quite a bit (we're about to be 3Ls). Is there anything specific you need to know?

apollo2015

Bronze

Post by apollo2015 » Wed May 29, 2013 11:18 pm

hiima3L wrote:

In this one instance, I'll agree with Hiima. The town of Davis has a better school system than SF.

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Thu May 30, 2013 2:57 pm

apollo2015 wrote:
hiima3L wrote:

In this one instance, I'll agree with Hiima. The town of Davis has a better school system than SF.
That wasn't what I was thinking, but very good point. Aside from the Richmond/Sunset, SF is not family friendly at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cheery_girl

New

Post by cheery_girl » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:23 pm

Accepted!!!!
Last edited by cheery_girl on Fri May 01, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:56 am

cheery_girl wrote:Just got accepted off waitlist!!
Blessing or bane?

apollo2015

Bronze

Post by apollo2015 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:09 pm

Congratulations!

mehh

Bronze

Post by mehh » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:40 pm

Congrats! how were you notified?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cheery_girl

New

Post by cheery_girl » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:39 pm

mehh wrote:

Congrats! how were you notified?

I received a call from Dean Canada. He left a VM
Last edited by cheery_girl on Fri May 01, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onionskin

Bronze

Post by onionskin » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:42 pm

Congrats! Has anyone emailed Hastings and gotten a reply back? I wrote twice and never got a response, does not make a good first impression.

alawstudentsometime

Bronze

Post by alawstudentsometime » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:15 am

Have you tried calling? I have gotten email responses from several people at Hastings (no one in admissions tho). When I had a question about FinAid I called the number on my email acceptance and Dean Canada answered.

cheery_girl

New

Post by cheery_girl » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:52 pm

I am so nervous about housing..
Last edited by cheery_girl on Mon May 05, 2014 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AABergq

New

Post by AABergq » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:24 pm

apollo2015 wrote:
hiima3L wrote:

I don't live in SF and don't plan to, just bought a house in Alameda, hence why Davis was never a consideration.

And @OneMoreLawHopeful thanks, that's basically all I was wondering (if admissions would work with me as far as scheduling)- we have a five year old and my husband is entirely aware of what I'm getting into- I know it will be harder w/ a kid, but I also know many people who did it, just all at other law schools.

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:30 pm

AABergq wrote:
apollo2015 wrote:
hiima3L wrote:

I don't live in SF and don't plan to, just bought a house in Alameda, hence why Davis was never a consideration.

And @OneMoreLawHopeful thanks, that's basically all I was wondering (if admissions would work with me as far as scheduling)- we have a five year old and my husband is entirely aware of what I'm getting into- I know it will be harder w/ a kid, but I also know many people who did it, just all at other law schools.
You and your husband should not be worrying about the workload.

Is your husband really aware that you're planning to go to one of the worst schools in the nation in terms of job prospects in one of the most over-saturated markets in the nation?

apollo2015

Bronze

Post by apollo2015 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:06 am

You bring up the employment issue a lot Hiima, but I get the vibe that you're comparing apples to oranges.

1. What are these allegedly unemployed Hastings grads like? For example, are they rich and highly connected, or are they poor and without connections? Are they highly sociable? Are they LEOP?

2. What evidence is there that they would have gotten a job if they were at another school?

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:17 pm

apollo2015 wrote:You bring up the employment issue a lot Hiima, but I get the vibe that you're comparing apples to oranges.

1. What are these allegedly unemployed Hastings grads like? For example, are they rich and highly connected, or are they poor and without connections? Are they highly sociable? Are they LEOP?

2. What evidence is there that they would have gotten a job if they were at another school?
I can only speak to my class of 2012, really.

1. All of the above. Except I'm not too sure about my friend's family connections, though I do know she is living at her parents' house in one of the most expensive zip codes in the nation. The LEOP dude I know failed the bar twice and lost his DA/PD job, so, there's that.

2. The statistical likelihood of getting a job at the top schools is significantly higher. I'm not sure what more there is to say about that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

littleprince88

New

Post by littleprince88 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:27 pm

cheery_girl wrote:I am so nervous about housing.. Anyone from Orange County attending Hastings? :oops:
I am. Yeah I haven't really looked yet lol. I'm starting this week. any luck?

cheery_girl

New

Post by cheery_girl » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:27 pm

Drove to SF this past weekend.

Basically every neighborhood besides the Tenderloin, TenderNob and parts of SOMA seemed great and livable. Obviously, I am sure I am being VERY sensitive and I am a woman, so take my hesitation about those aforementioned neighborhoods lightly.

littleprince88 wrote:
cheery_girl wrote:I am so nervous about housing.. Anyone from Orange County attending Hastings? :oops:
I am. Yeah I haven't really looked yet lol. I'm starting this week. any luck?
Last edited by cheery_girl on Mon May 05, 2014 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OneMoreLawHopeful

Silver

Post by OneMoreLawHopeful » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:42 am

cheery_girl wrote:I got a map, got in the car and drove the entire city and circled neighborhoods I got a 'good feel' from. Basically every neighborhood besides the Tenderloin, TenderNob and parts of SOMA seemed great and livable. Obviously, I am sure I am being VERY sensitive and I am a woman, so take my hesitation about those aforementioned neighborhoods lightly.
I'm a dude in his 20s, and I don't think you're being overly sensitive at all. The tenderloin is terrible; the "TenderNob" is just a collection of people desperate to say they don't live in the 'loin. And while some people swear by SOMA, it's really hit-or-miss.

If I can give any advice at all (as a rising 3L at Hastings), consider your public transportation options. You get a discount at the parking garage, but it's still something like $12/day, so you're going to want to avoid driving to school if you can. If you live close to a BART stop, it's fast and easy to get to school. If BART doesn't work (and hey, the Mission has gotten real expensive lately) consider living by one of the MUNI light-rail lines. Avoid buses if at all possible. They're not super-sketch, they're just super slow.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:49 am

OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:
cheery_girl wrote:I got a map, got in the car and drove the entire city and circled neighborhoods I got a 'good feel' from. Basically every neighborhood besides the Tenderloin, TenderNob and parts of SOMA seemed great and livable. Obviously, I am sure I am being VERY sensitive and I am a woman, so take my hesitation about those aforementioned neighborhoods lightly.
I'm a dude in his 20s, and I don't think you're being overly sensitive at all. The tenderloin is terrible; the "TenderNob" is just a collection of people desperate to say they don't live in the 'loin. And while some people swear by SOMA, it's really hit-or-miss.

If I can give any advice at all (as a rising 3L at Hastings), consider your public transportation options. You get a discount at the parking garage, but it's still something like $12/day, so you're going to want to avoid driving to school if you can. If you live close to a BART stop, it's fast and easy to get to school. If BART doesn't work (and hey, the Mission has gotten real expensive lately) consider living by one of the MUNI light-rail lines. Avoid buses if at all possible. They're not super-sketch, they're just super slow.
Oh wow, for some reason I always thought you were a girl.

Also I like the TenderNob (no I don't live there). I think it's a cool, cheaper alternative for young people.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:17 am

ilovesf wrote: Oh wow, for some reason I always thought you were a girl.

Also I like the TenderNob (no I don't live there). I think it's a cool, cheaper alternative for young people.
I almost had my skull crushed by a glass bottle walking through there. Some person threw it off their balcony/window on the third story. It was literally 5-10 feet away from me when it hit -- it shattered into a million pieces.. That's not the only time something like that's happened (I almost got beat up by a drug dealer, etc...)

I have a jaded view of the area. I had to go all the way up to nobhill on a monthly basis because Healthy San Francisco only allows you to use one pharmacy in the area. It's all tenderloin and then, VOILA, you're in nobhill. Not that the Tenderloin is that bad once you get used to it.

onionskin

Bronze

Post by onionskin » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:33 am

Is much happening on the Admitted Students facebook page?

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:07 am

cheery_girl wrote:Drove to SF from OC this past weekend. The 'loin is very... rough, if you have never experienced it before. I lived in South OC and parts of LA my whole life, so I was not ready for the 9am drug propositions or fights, etc.
You are being completely reasonable. I loved the TL and living there, but I am also a large dude. Walking through certain parts of it is markedly different for girls--even just walking along with girl friends I felt uneasy for them. I would not want my girlfriend to live in the TL.

But, believe it or not, a few blocks can make a world of a difference. Walking up Leavenworth from GG (what we called "The Gauntlet") is a whole lot different than the streets toward the north (?)--there's a Bentley dealership on Van Ness--so you learn ways to get around because there are streets that are worth avoiding at all cost 24/7 for the extra 5-10 minute walk. McAllister is almost never sketchy (though I did get second-hand crack smoke a few times . . .) and once you get to Polk it's pretty much fine. (Also, Polk is one of my favorite places for SF nightlife.)

Also, the Hastings shuttle is one of the best services at UCH. If you can live within its driving radius, you can avoid the crappy parts of the TL altogether if you live, say, in TenderNob/Nob Hill. You should definitely take it into account because it's very convenient if you're willing to plan and wait 15-30 minutes here and there.

cheery_girl

New

Post by cheery_girl » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:54 pm

Any rising 1L want to room
Last edited by cheery_girl on Fri May 01, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”