UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
AABergq
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:14 pm

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby AABergq » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:57 am

xiaojimu wrote:hey, for those who are still waiting, i just tried and was able to login to my outlook email
here: http://www.uchastings.edu/about/admin-offices/it/Email/index.php
and change my password.
but I'm still unable to login to WebAdvisor.

Does that mean I'm still on WL?



So you're already on WL?? I also just tried, could get into the account through the link you posted, but still can't log into webadvisor. When I emailed admissions last week though (since I could create my account, but not log into WebAdvisor), they said my application was still under review- so I think there are no guarantees here (as far as what login means what in the process).

Sorry, probably not so helpful, but thought I'd share.

What about those who are IN??, anyone try this beforehand and/or know if those (email & WebAdvisor) login/passwords are identical??
Or WL people??, how much can you access?

User avatar
xiaojimu
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:31 am

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby xiaojimu » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:05 am

AABergq wrote:
xiaojimu wrote:hey, for those who are still waiting, i just tried and was able to login to my outlook email
here: http://www.uchastings.edu/about/admin-offices/it/Email/index.php
and change my password.
but I'm still unable to login to WebAdvisor.

Does that mean I'm still on WL?



So you're already on WL?? I also just tried, could get into the account through the link you posted, but still can't log into webadvisor. When I emailed admissions last week though (since I could create my account, but not log into WebAdvisor), they said my application was still under review- so I think there are no guarantees here (as far as what login means what in the process).

Sorry, probably not so helpful, but thought I'd share.

What about those who are IN??, anyone try this beforehand and/or know if those (email & WebAdvisor) login/passwords are identical??
Or WL people??, how much can you access?


Yes, I am already WL.
Before I tried, I couldn't even access my Outlook email account.
I just get an error message saying the account doesn't exist.
So I am hoping this update also means an update on my status.

whsy
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby whsy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:18 am

xiaojimu wrote:
AABergq wrote:
xiaojimu wrote:hey, for those who are still waiting, i just tried and was able to login to my outlook email
here: http://www.uchastings.edu/about/admin-offices/it/Email/index.php
and change my password.
but I'm still unable to login to WebAdvisor.

Does that mean I'm still on WL?



So you're already on WL?? I also just tried, could get into the account through the link you posted, but still can't log into webadvisor. When I emailed admissions last week though (since I could create my account, but not log into WebAdvisor), they said my application was still under review- so I think there are no guarantees here (as far as what login means what in the process).

Sorry, probably not so helpful, but thought I'd share.

What about those who are IN??, anyone try this beforehand and/or know if those (email & WebAdvisor) login/passwords are identical??
Or WL people??, how much can you access?


Yes, I am already WL.
Before I tried, I couldn't even access my Outlook email account.
I just get an error message saying the account doesn't exist.
So I am hoping this update also means an update on my status.


I am very doubtful that it means anything. I was just waitlisted last Thursday.. I'm sure they haven't made a decision to accept/deny me within 1 day of waitlisting me... I could log on to the Outlook email account.

AABergq
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:14 pm

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby AABergq » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:31 am

whsy wrote:
xiaojimu wrote:
AABergq wrote:
xiaojimu wrote:hey, for those who are still waiting, i just tried and was able to login to my outlook email
here: http://www.uchastings.edu/about/admin-offices/it/Email/index.php
and change my password.
but I'm still unable to login to WebAdvisor.

Does that mean I'm still on WL?



So you're already on WL?? I also just tried, could get into the account through the link you posted, but still can't log into webadvisor. When I emailed admissions last week though (since I could create my account, but not log into WebAdvisor), they said my application was still under review- so I think there are no guarantees here (as far as what login means what in the process).

Sorry, probably not so helpful, but thought I'd share.

What about those who are IN??, anyone try this beforehand and/or know if those (email & WebAdvisor) login/passwords are identical??
Or WL people??, how much can you access?


Yes, I am already WL.
Before I tried, I couldn't even access my Outlook email account.
I just get an error message saying the account doesn't exist.
So I am hoping this update also means an update on my status.


I am very doubtful that it means anything. I was just waitlisted last Thursday.. I'm sure they haven't made a decision to accept/deny me within 1 day of waitlisting me... I could log on to the Outlook email account.


@xiaojimu
Well I think @whsy is right, because if I could do it without any decision and he could do it a day after WL, it must not hold too much weight. What I don't get is how I can do what you guys are doing, wonder if I'm now WL..

Earlier in this forum I remember people writing about the waitlist process- that you will be emailed asking if you are still interested (which is totally possible to happen past deadlines for other schools, mind you), so they probably won't just take you off waitlist, especially until after the deadline. My friend got WL f/ Hastings and she is writing an LOI, despite the email asking for no additional info. She doesn't want to drop a nonrefundable almost $1,000 on another school, only to get off the waitlist and drop another almost grand into Hastings. That happened to my friend @ Boalt (who also immediately sent an LOI, and then got off waitlist just days after deadline for Georgetown).

Agh, is there anyone else who still hasn't heard ANY decision???

whsy
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby whsy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:44 am

AABergq, I think everyone is able to create an account, but not log in, as long as they've processed your files... same login id/ password for the webadvisor and email. Btw, I wasn't able to access email until I was waitlisted.

iamsupergrover
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:40 pm

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby iamsupergrover » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:58 am

AABergq wrote:Agh, is there anyone else who still hasn't heard ANY decision???


Right there with you.

User avatar
FlyingNorth
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:25 am

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby FlyingNorth » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:49 pm

...
Last edited by FlyingNorth on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

150s_or_bust
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:52 pm

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby 150s_or_bust » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:00 pm

Does anyone know when law schools take people off the waiting list, do they go according to LSAT or other factors (GPA, Personal Statement, Work Experience, Academic Achievements)?

User avatar
andy261
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:50 pm

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby andy261 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:05 pm

150s_or_bust wrote:Does anyone know when law schools take people off the waiting list, do they go according to LSAT or other factors (GPA, Personal Statement, Work Experience, Academic Achievements)?

Totally depends on the law school and what areas they need to fill when pulling off the waitlist for that specific year. They could be trying to maintain an LSAT or GPA median, boost their racial or geographic diversity, try to get more applicants who would most likely pay sticker, etc. There's really no way of knowing.

User avatar
xiaojimu
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:31 am

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby xiaojimu » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:20 pm

andy261 wrote:
150s_or_bust wrote:Does anyone know when law schools take people off the waiting list, do they go according to LSAT or other factors (GPA, Personal Statement, Work Experience, Academic Achievements)?

Totally depends on the law school and what areas they need to fill when pulling off the waitlist for that specific year. They could be trying to maintain an LSAT or GPA median, boost their racial or geographic diversity, try to get more applicants who would most likely pay sticker, etc. There's really no way of knowing.


yeah, and i think usually after the first deposit deadline, they look at the WL~

User avatar
FlyingNorth
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:25 am

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby FlyingNorth » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:05 pm

...
Last edited by FlyingNorth on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
WisemanAEKDB
Posts: 329
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:01 pm

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:07 pm

FlyingNorth wrote:2014 Law School Rankings are in

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... w-rankings

UC Hastings at #48


Accepted with scholarships at schools ranked well above Hastings. Got WL'd here. I think I'm losing interest fast.

User avatar
FlyingNorth
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:25 am

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby FlyingNorth » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:27 pm

...
Last edited by FlyingNorth on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3403
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:28 pm

WisemanAEKDB wrote:
FlyingNorth wrote:2014 Law School Rankings are in

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... w-rankings

UC Hastings at #48


Accepted with scholarships at schools ranked well above Hastings. Got WL'd here. I think I'm losing interest fast.


Me too. This place is TTT. The employment stats have convinced me to withdraw.

apollo2015
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:13 am

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby apollo2015 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:23 pm

FlyingNorth wrote:
It is a little concerning that they dropped 4 spots in the rankings since last year. Especially since one of the school's targeted goals for the future was to work with US News to improve their national standing among law schools


Most California schools fell this year. Davis went from being 19 ranks higher than Hastings two years ago to only 10 ranks higher this year. Pepperdine went from being 5 ranks below Hastings last year to 13 ranks below Hastings this year.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11804
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ilovesf » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:28 pm

You guys should be considering schools based on cost and employment. You're ridiculous and naive if you choose a school based on its ranking, regardless of whether you choose a school because it moves up, or withdraw from a school because it moves down.

maxmartin
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby maxmartin » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:57 pm

the drop of ranking is related to shitty CA legal market, almost all the rank of CA schools are going down. Even Berkeley dropped a couple of spots

User avatar
CO2016YEAH
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:42 am

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby CO2016YEAH » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:37 pm

ilovesf wrote:You guys should be considering schools based on cost and employment. You're ridiculous and naive if you choose a school based on its ranking, regardless of whether you choose a school because it moves up, or withdraw from a school because it moves down.


The drops in ranking are largely due to new, more accurate employment methodology. So it's not really that ridiculous.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11804
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ilovesf » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:40 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:
ilovesf wrote:You guys should be considering schools based on cost and employment. You're ridiculous and naive if you choose a school based on its ranking, regardless of whether you choose a school because it moves up, or withdraw from a school because it moves down.


The drops in ranking are largely due to new, more accurate employment methodology. So it's not really that ridiculous.

No, because tons of schools still employ people in their libraries and it counts. US News still counts things like the amount of books in their rankings. Schools change year to year. I don't care if anyone attends Hastings, but it's just stupid to make decisions on rankings.

AABergq
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:14 pm

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby AABergq » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:42 pm

people also have to realize there are categories that go into the rankings- one of which being quality of life and location highly affects that-- so even though Hastings is not in the ghetto, it being so close to the TL strongly affected the "quality of life" category, and how heavily that was weighed has also changed- so frankly after the top ten (maybe twenty) you can't buy into the numbers that much....

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Lasers » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 pm

ilovesf wrote:
CO2016YEAH wrote:
ilovesf wrote:You guys should be considering schools based on cost and employment. You're ridiculous and naive if you choose a school based on its ranking, regardless of whether you choose a school because it moves up, or withdraw from a school because it moves down.


The drops in ranking are largely due to new, more accurate employment methodology. So it's not really that ridiculous.

No, because tons of schools still employ people in their libraries and it counts. US News still counts things like the amount of books in their rankings. Schools change year to year. I don't care if anyone attends Hastings, but it's just stupid to make decisions on rankings.

yep. totally agree.

however, what you applicants should be looking at are the employment numbers on LST, charts on tls, ABA numbers, clerkship numbers, and biglaw placement. if you guys don't go to hastings based on things that matter, that's fine, but i think it's hilarious when people cite us news as any kind of reason for any kind of decision.

sfhaze
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:04 pm

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby sfhaze » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:40 pm

Also, realize that schools in Hastings' range are basically regional. So even if you got some large scholarship to say Indiana, another regional school albeit lately consistently higher ranked (I use it as an example b/c it was passing out full rides like candy a few years ago), you will almost certainly not land a job in Cali, and I mean any legal job. I mention this b/c some of you above have talked about getting $ at higher ranked schools. Just expect employment in their region/state alone (if that), unless it's a top 10-20 or so school, which is unlikely given how the numbers usually pan out. This is what makes the system as it stands so frustrating and dangerous...

corinnejay
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:02 pm

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby corinnejay » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:06 pm

Just withdrew my acceptance. Best of luck to you on the wait list!

150s_or_bust
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:52 pm

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby 150s_or_bust » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:34 pm

corinnejay wrote:Just withdrew my acceptance. Best of luck to you on the wait list!



Wooo Hoo! Thanks.

well.let's.see
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:44 pm

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby well.let's.see » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:41 pm

What's the reality regarding the average debt students graduate with from Hastings?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: worried0L and 5 guests