UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
AABergq

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby AABergq » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:54 pm

gitguy wrote:
Nari Rina wrote:Hello everyone! Just posting a reminder to everyone that the FAFSA and UC Hastings Financial Aid Supplement is due tomorrow at 5pm (PST).

http://www.uchastings.edu/about/admin-o ... /index.php

*posting this reminder because she almost forgot the supplement and freaked out* :x

[EDIT] and is anyone else planning on going to the Silicon Valley reception? :D

Where did you see the 5pm deadline?? Just need to know how nervous I need to be about submitting at 5:22.

deadline is 5/5 i think, and this is just for priority anyway- so if you're late then you will still be eligible, just won't have priority standing for fin aid

superpippo

Postby superpippo » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:12 am

Just thought I'd check in and post this: http://www.uchastings.edu/about/strategic-plan/docs/UCHastings_StrategicPlan_10_21_2011_v2.pdf

Above is a link to the UC Hastings Strategic Plan from 2011, it's the original plan that has delineated the changes we've seen in the class of 2015. I think it's a good idea for all potential students to take a look at it when considering attending. Furthermore if you're interested on any of the specific points, there are updates on the Hastings site.

maxmartin

Postby maxmartin » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:53 am

what kind of financial support can we expect this year?

superpippo

Postby superpippo » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:15 am

maxmartin wrote:what kind of financial support can we expect this year?

From Hastings' financial aid department:
"We anticipate this year’s grants will range between $13,800 and $15,600. These grants are typically renewable (based upon continued demonstrated need), so recipients could anticipate receiving anywhere between $41,400 and $46,800 in assistance over the next three years."

And this is just need-based aid, so hopefully things will be looking up with this reduced class size.

FlyingNorth

Postby FlyingNorth » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:38 pm

Last edited by FlyingNorth on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AABergq

Postby AABergq » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:01 pm

Hey just wanted to let people know about that whole signing up for uc hastings account thing (a while earlier in this thread it's the main topic for several pages)

So I was able to create an account, but then not login. I emailed Hastings (since for most people this status seemed to mean they were waitlisted or admitted), BUT turns out my app (completed 12/21) is still under review- no decision made.

Guess this means that account thing is certainly not determinative...still waiting, which sucks because I already have all other offers and this is my number 1!

FlyingNorth

Postby FlyingNorth » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:47 pm

Last edited by FlyingNorth on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OneMoreLawHopeful

Postby OneMoreLawHopeful » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:23 pm

Hey guys, I'm a current 2L at Hastings, and I just wanted to share my experience with people in this thread in case they find it helpful.

First, congratulations to all who were accepted! I'm super happy that I decided to attend Hastings (I was choosing between here and Davis), I've really enjoyed my time here, and I think my life is better for it. Anyone with questions please feel free to PM me!

Second, I wanted to address anyone who was on the waitlist about questions you might have, because I was actually accepted into Hastings off of the waitlist.

Here is my experience: I was placed on the waitlist about 6 weeks after I applied. As others have noted upthread, the admissions office specifically asked not to spend in additional correspondence, so I didn't.

Then, in late May/early June, the admissions office began to send out emails specifically requesting letters of continued interest. These came in waves (so I got a email dated 5/20, or around then, asking for a letter of continued interest, then two weeks later another email saying "You said you were interested on 5/20, but are you STILL interested? If so write back again!"). After I replied to the second wave of emails and stated I was still interested, I received an offer of admission from Dean Canada via telephone.

So, to sum up, you don't need to send a letter of continued interest until after Hastings asks you to, and once you send one, keep your phone with you!

Finally, just to share, I was a super-splitter, my GPA was like 2.4 (or something, don't recall), but my LSAT was 175. I went to an undergrad that didn't differentiate between "punitive" and "non-punitive" withdrawing from a class, and I had to withdraw from an entire semester, so the LSAC helpfully averaged in an entire semester of Fs into my GPA, killing it.

However, once in at Hastings, I've done very well and so far my future looks good. Again, let me know if anyone has any questions and feel free to PM!

gitguy

Postby gitguy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:09 pm

OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:Hey guys, I'm a current 2L at Hastings, and I just wanted to share my experience with people in this thread in case they find it helpful.

First, congratulations to all who were accepted! I'm super happy that I decided to attend Hastings (I was choosing between here and Davis), I've really enjoyed my time here, and I think my life is better for it. Anyone with questions please feel free to PM me!

Second, I wanted to address anyone who was on the waitlist about questions you might have, because I was actually accepted into Hastings off of the waitlist.

Here is my experience: I was placed on the waitlist about 6 weeks after I applied. As others have noted upthread, the admissions office specifically asked not to spend in additional correspondence, so I didn't.

Then, in late May/early June, the admissions office began to send out emails specifically requesting letters of continued interest. These came in waves (so I got a email dated 5/20, or around then, asking for a letter of continued interest, then two weeks later another email saying "You said you were interested on 5/20, but are you STILL interested? If so write back again!"). After I replied to the second wave of emails and stated I was still interested, I received an offer of admission from Dean Canada via telephone.

So, to sum up, you don't need to send a letter of continued interest until after Hastings asks you to, and once you send one, keep your phone with you!

Finally, just to share, I was a super-splitter, my GPA was like 2.4 (or something, don't recall), but my LSAT was 175. I went to an undergrad that didn't differentiate between "punitive" and "non-punitive" withdrawing from a class, and I had to withdraw from an entire semester, so the LSAC helpfully averaged in an entire semester of Fs into my GPA, killing it.

However, once in at Hastings, I've done very well and so far my future looks good. Again, let me know if anyone has any questions and feel free to PM!

Thanks, Hopeful. How did you handle being accepted to Davis with a WL at Hastings? Did you put down a seat deposit for Davis prior to the deadline and then just write it off as a loss when you were admitted to Hastings. I'm just confused on how that plays out.

OneMoreLawHopeful

Postby OneMoreLawHopeful » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:21 pm

gitguy wrote:Thanks, Hopeful. How did you handle being accepted to Davis with a WL at Hastings? Did you put down a seat deposit for Davis prior to the deadline and then just write it off as a loss when you were admitted to Hastings. I'm just confused on how that plays out.

That's a good question, fortunately it's not one I had to deal with. I was actually waitlisted (initially) at both schools and then received offers of admission to both within the same week, so I never had to worry about putting a deposit down.

When I applied, the very first inklings that the legal market wasn't "so great" were coming out, so I only applied to a handful of schools, with Hastings and Davis being the two lowest-ranked to which I applied, and all the others rejected me outright (all T14s). I wasn't going to go at all unless I got off the waitlist.

The flipside, of course, is that they give you all of two weeks (at both Hastings and Davis) to put down a deposit if you get accepted off the waitlist, so I had to make the decision very quickly.

AABergq

Postby AABergq » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:38 am

FlyingNorth wrote:
AABergq wrote:Hey just wanted to let people know about that whole signing up for uc hastings account thing (a while earlier in this thread it's the main topic for several pages)

So I was able to create an account, but then not login. I emailed Hastings (since for most people this status seemed to mean they were waitlisted or admitted), BUT turns out my app (completed 12/21) is still under review- no decision made.

Guess this means that account thing is certainly not determinative...still waiting, which sucks because I already have all other offers and this is my number 1!

For anyone still wondering, this is the link AABergq is referring to: https://cio2.uchastings.edu/admit/index.py

Kind of a let down for me because I was able to create an account too...

Did you try clicking the deposit button?

I didn't get as far as a deposit button...it doesn't let me click on admitted students (but still can't tell if I should be able to, it's just the only bold option) and there's no way to log in. I think remember reading (somewhere here) that the login information was sent in acceptance package, if indeed one is accepted. So yea, still waiting...

When did you apply??

ps- Thanks for posting the link for others! Meant to, then forgot...

zz888

Postby zz888 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:17 am

Hi guys, was accepted last week 164/3.8 non URM, if we were getting scholarships would they have told us on the phone/in the email? Does hastings even give scholarships?! they said nothing about that to me...im gonna take that as im not getting any $$$

superpippo

Postby superpippo » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:19 am

zz888 wrote:Hi guys, was accepted last week 164/3.8 non URM, if we were getting scholarships would they have told us on the phone/in the email? Does hastings even give scholarships?! they said nothing about that to me...im gonna take that as im not getting any $$$

You have to fill out the FAFSA and financial supplement to be eligible for need or merit aid. The priority deadline was march 4th, so fill out both those forms ASAP if you haven't already.

zz888

Postby zz888 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:29 am

superpippo wrote:
zz888 wrote:Hi guys, was accepted last week 164/3.8 non URM, if we were getting scholarships would they have told us on the phone/in the email? Does hastings even give scholarships?! they said nothing about that to me...im gonna take that as im not getting any $$$

You have to fill out the FAFSA and financial supplement to be eligible for need or merit aid. The priority deadline was march 4th, so fill out both those forms ASAP if you haven't already.

wait, I thought we only had to fill those out for need-based aid not merit aid...that wouldn't make sense because merit aid isn't based on your specific financial circumstances....are you sure? I wouldn't qualify for need based aid so didnt bother, but i thought everyone was automatically in the running for merit based scholarships?

FlyingNorth

Postby FlyingNorth » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:37 pm

JadeWest

Postby JadeWest » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:39 pm

FlyingNorth wrote:
AABergq wrote:
FlyingNorth wrote:
AABergq wrote:Hey just wanted to let people know about that whole signing up for uc hastings account thing (a while earlier in this thread it's the main topic for several pages)

For anyone still wondering, this is the link AABergq is referring to: https://cio2.uchastings.edu/admit/index.py

Kind of a let down for me because I was able to create an account too...

Did you try clicking the deposit button?

I didn't get as far as a deposit button...it doesn't let me click on admitted students (but still can't tell if I should be able to, it's just the only bold option) and there's no way to log in. I think remember reading (somewhere here) that the login information was sent in acceptance package, if indeed one is accepted. So yea, still waiting...

When did you apply??

ps- Thanks for posting the link for others! Meant to, then forgot...

No problem, I submitted my application on 2/28 so I'm not expecting to hear a decision this quickly...

For those of you that have been accepted, were you able to create an account and log in with the link above before you were accepted?

yes

FlyingNorth

Postby FlyingNorth » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:50 pm

superpippo

Postby superpippo » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:09 pm

zz888 wrote:
superpippo wrote:

wait, I thought we only had to fill those out for need-based aid not merit aid...that wouldn't make sense because merit aid isn't based on your specific financial circumstances....are you sure? I wouldn't qualify for need based aid so didnt bother, but i thought everyone was automatically in the running for merit based scholarships?

I mean I'm not 100% sure, I thought it was to be considered for aid more generally, but I guess I could be wrong.
They said they'd be making aid/scholarship offers up to 2 weeks after the March 4 deadline so maybe just sit tight and you may get some. However, I don't see the harm in filing for aid either way.

EDIT: http://www.uchastings.edu/about/admin-offices/financial-aid/scholarships/entering-students/index.php

It seems as though the majority of scholarships, (i.e. not federal aid) are offered by Hastings on the basis of academic achievement (LSAT/GPA) and financial need. Therefore, though you may not qualify for federal aid, I would still highly recommend filing your FAFSA and financial supplement, because it may be necessary for Hastings to assess your need in order to qualify for scholarships listed in the link. By this I don't mean that you have to be "needy" to receive the scholarship, I just mean they might have to have a measure of your need to calculate the size of you scholarship.

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:17 pm

Anyone go to SD reception yesterday? How was it?

Anyone going to the two other ones today?

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:59 pm

"happy facebooking" hahaha

150s_or_bust

Postby 150s_or_bust » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:08 pm

Waitlisted here, should I email admission and let them know that my Feb score is higher? Please advise.

andy261

Postby andy261 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:11 pm

150s_or_bust wrote:Waitlisted here, should I email admission and let them know that my Feb score is higher? Please advise.

Yes. You might also consider turning it into a general LOCI if you have other updated achievements and/or more to say about why you want to attend.

150s_or_bust

Postby 150s_or_bust » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:20 pm

andy261 wrote:
150s_or_bust wrote:Waitlisted here, should I email admission and let them know that my Feb score is higher? Please advise.

Yes. You might also consider turning it into a general LOCI if you have other updated achievements and/or more to say about why you want to attend.

I was thinking of writing that but then Dean Canada's email specifically mentioned not to call or email admission regarding the waitlist.

andy261

Postby andy261 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:26 pm

150s_or_bust wrote:
andy261 wrote:

I was thinking of writing that but then Dean Canada's email specifically mentioned not to call or email admission regarding the waitlist.

Ah sorry. Now that you mention it, I think a current student posted recently regarding their waitlist experience. I believe Hastings will specifically let you know when they want LOCIs.

For now, at least rest easier knowing that LSAC automatically updates the schools with your new score within 1-2 days.

Valera

Postby Valera » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:34 pm

boblawlob wrote:Anyone go to SD reception yesterday? How was it?

Anyone going to the two other ones today?

SD Reception was great. I have no idea if it's the same at other schools but the alumni seemed so into helping out and all gave cards or contact info for follow-up. Really nice people, too. I wasn't sure what to expect from a room full of lawyers but they were all very approachable.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”