UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
immikeyiiirock

New

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Post by immikeyiiirock » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:31 pm

Ceasar wrote:immikeyiiirock ~ would you mind sharing your stats? I am trying to be patient, but I haven't heard anything and it is driving me in insane.
Last edited by immikeyiiirock on Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:31 pm

Received Hastings spring magazine, it is actually well done with both design and content. :D

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:42 pm

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:14 pm

Copy of a journal showed up, postage due. Lol.

piip2

New

Post by piip2 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:49 pm

I applied near the March deadline and have yet to hear anything! I fear my prospects are slim. I'm in at Santa Clara and USF, with Hastings being my top choice, so I will wait impatiently.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Legion7

New

Post by Legion7 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:50 am

piip2 wrote:I applied near the March deadline and have yet to hear anything! I fear my prospects are slim. I'm in at Santa Clara and USF, with Hastings being my top choice, so I will wait impatiently.
I'm in the same boatas piip2.... SCU, USF, UCD, but no Hastings. :cry: Apps were all completed around 28Feb.

I have a question: since the deadline for the "First Enrollment Deposit " is May 1, does that mean that their decision should come no later than the end of April? I'm probably eff'd since its been so long and there's no response, but thought I'd ask. Thanks!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:54 am

Ceasar

New

Post by Ceasar » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:01 pm

Hastings is actually my top choice so it is killing me that I still have not received a response. I called the admissions office not to inquire about personal status but just to get a date from them. They were nice about it but said they will send out the last decisions before the month is over. So, they should come before May 1. I guess we have another possible 10 days :(

onionskin

Bronze

Post by onionskin » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:31 pm

Legion7 wrote:
piip2 wrote:I applied near the March deadline and have yet to hear anything! I fear my prospects are slim. I'm in at Santa Clara and USF, with Hastings being my top choice, so I will wait impatiently.
I'm in the same boatas piip2.... SCU, USF, UCD, but no Hastings. :cry: Apps were all completed around 28Feb.

I have a question: since the deadline for the "First Enrollment Deposit " is May 1, does that mean that their decision should come no later than the end of April? I'm probably eff'd since its been so long and there's no response, but thought I'd ask. Thanks!
Woah you got in at Davis but no response from Hastings? Did you apply at the same time? I got WL at Hastings but nothing at all from Davis.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:41 pm

Legion7 wrote:

No. I know people who got in a week or two before school started. I'm fairly certain my friend got in the Weds/Thurs before classes started on Monday. But c/o 2012 was a little different because it was ~80 bigger than most, so now it's about ~150 more than the incoming class.

This is common at pretty much every school due to people dropping last-minute.

laytay

New

Post by laytay » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:27 pm

Legion7 wrote:

OK let's make a deal, I'll give you my spot at Hastings if you give me your spot at Davis :lol:

I wish we could do things like that....hahaha

laytay

New

Post by laytay » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:33 pm

Legion7 wrote:

I actually wonder though if UCD and Hastings talk.....at least for my undergrad experience it seemed like the UCs talked. Most people I know got into Berkley OR UCLA, not both. Like they made the decision for you. It was weird. I literally didnt know anyone who was accepted to both and I had about 30 friends go to each school.

I would honestly say that if you are in at UCD you should CALL Hastings and TELL them that (or go there if you are close by) and TELL them you would prefer Hastings. Not getting back to people who are in at Davis makes me think that they think anyone who is in at Davis wouldn't consider Hastings.....given that Davis is generally way more generous with grants and its ranked higher.....they underestimate people's love for SF I think.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:44 pm

Withdrawing. No $. Was told that vast majority of $ is need based and that only about 15% of class gets merit AND perhaps, if I have less money next year (bc this past year I worked, and next year will have no income due to student status) I might qualify for need based. Not willing to take the chance of maybe qualifying for aid next year. HOpe my spot goes to someone who is excited! Good luck to all.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:48 pm

laytay wrote:
Legion7 wrote:

I actually wonder though if UCD and Hastings talk.....at least for my undergrad experience it seemed like the UCs talked. Most people I know got into Berkley OR UCLA, not both. Like they made the decision for you. It was weird. I literally didnt know anyone who was accepted to both and I had about 30 friends go to each school.

I would honestly say that if you are in at UCD you should CALL Hastings and TELL them that (or go there if you are close by) and TELL them you would prefer Hastings. Not getting back to people who are in at Davis makes me think that they think anyone who is in at Davis wouldn't consider Hastings.....given that Davis is generally way more generous with grants and its ranked higher.....they underestimate people's love for SF I think.
This would be an antitrust violation. Schools cannot talk with each other regarding admissions or financial aid. A number of northeastern schools (Yale, Harvard, etc) used to do this and were sued and barred from the practice.

However, they may use an incredibly similar admission standard. This would be probably be okay as long as they never talked to each in a collusive fashion.

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:41 pm

kapital98 wrote:
laytay wrote:
Legion7 wrote:

This would be an antitrust violation. Schools cannot talk with each other regarding admissions or financial aid. A number of northeastern schools (Yale, Harvard, etc) used to do this and were sued and barred from the practice.

However, they may use an incredibly similar admission standard. This would be probably be okay as long as they never talked to each in a collusive fashion.
Would it be considered collusive even if they're part of one organization, the UC? (I know nothing about antitrust.)

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:03 pm

hiima3L wrote: Would it be considered collusive even if they're part of one organization, the UC? (I know nothing about antitrust.)
I was thinking the same thing too. I don't know. The case I'm referring to is "US v. Brown University" (1993) where MIT and 8 Ivy League schools fixed tuition of students by getting together and deciding how much financial aid accepted students should get. The schools argued financial aid is "charity" and therefore not applicable to antitrust regulation. The court ordered it was commerce and therefore price fixing.

The reason I would think that the UC system is not one "University" is because each branch operates separate from the rest. They only loosely have the same administration and their respective admissions offices are completely separate. Hastings is even more removed than the rest of the UC schools.

But, this is all speculative in nature. I have a passing interest in antitrust but am by no means an expert.

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:59 am

kapital98 wrote:
hiima3L wrote: Would it be considered collusive even if they're part of one organization, the UC? (I know nothing about antitrust.)
I was thinking the same thing too. I don't know. The case I'm referring to is "US v. Brown University" (1993) where MIT and 8 Ivy League schools fixed tuition of students by getting together and deciding how much financial aid accepted students should get. The schools argued financial aid is "charity" and therefore not applicable to antitrust regulation. The court ordered it was commerce and therefore price fixing.

The reason I would think that the UC system is not one "University" is because each branch operates separate from the rest. They only loosely have the same administration and their respective admissions offices are completely separate. Hastings is even more removed than the rest of the UC schools.

But, this is all speculative in nature. I have a passing interest in antitrust but am by no means an expert.
Huh. Interesting.

But the UC considers all the campuses the same--Berkeley is equal to Merced, etc. It considers the separate campuses just as extensions of the same entity.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

elliejoon

New

Post by elliejoon » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:04 pm

Okay, I STILL haven't heard anything. Not even a waitlist or a "sorry, we're still looking over apps" e-mail. Complete silence and I've been complete for 3 months...

piip2

New

Post by piip2 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:11 pm

I'm in the same boat, but I'm curious, have they sent out denials or do they do it all at one time?

Edit: Sorry, should have been more specific. I meant denials for people who have applied in the past couple months.
Last edited by piip2 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seamus86

New

Post by seamus86 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:23 pm

piip2 wrote:I'm in the same boat, but I'm curious, have they sent out denials or do they do it all at one time?
I don't really know, but I bet they're waiting to see who makes deposits on May 1st. When they're this close to the deposit deadline I doubt they'll make new admissions decisions until they get a feel for how currently admitted students many will accept.

Ceasar

New

Post by Ceasar » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:34 pm

Is anyone still waiting on a decision?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

piip2

New

Post by piip2 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:47 pm

Ceasar wrote:Is anyone still waiting on a decision?
Yes.

Ceasar

New

Post by Ceasar » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:53 pm

When did you go complete? I am wondering if they are still accepting people or if these final decisions will be waitlist or rejections.

piip2

New

Post by piip2 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:56 pm

Ceasar wrote:When did you go complete? I am wondering if they are still accepting people or if these final decisions will be waitlist or rejections.
piip2 wrote:I'm in the same boat, but I'm curious, have they sent out denials or do they do it all at one time?

Edit: Sorry, should have been more specific. I meant denials for people who have applied in the past couple months.

Legion7

New

Post by Legion7 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:21 pm

Ceasar wrote:When did you go complete? I am wondering if they are still accepting people or if these final decisions will be waitlist or rejections.
I should probably clarify....I was complete on UCD a month (end of Jan) before I applied for Hastings, but I thought with a higher LSAT score from Feb that I would be in good standing with them; guess not. :/ I'm guessing that I'll get a nice WL email soon, but that's just me.

And you can have my UCD spot!! I won't be attending.... SCU offered quite a bit of $$. Between lower debt and higher rank... I'm going with lower debt. That and I'm still mad about how they handled my "missing motorcycle" issue back in 2008... Hope one of you guys gets my allocation. :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”