UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
angieess

New

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Post by angieess » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:42 pm

Any advice on how to get off the waitlist?
got waitlisted ED wondering what I could do in the meanwhile :|

edzit

New

Post by edzit » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:20 pm

Has anyone received any scholarships from UC Hastings? Did it come with the acceptance letter or separate?

KingsCup

Bronze

Post by KingsCup » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:44 pm

edzit wrote:Has anyone received any scholarships from UC Hastings? Did it come with the acceptance letter or separate?
didn't get anything with my admissions letter. got a scholarship from wake forest which is similarly ranked so i was thinking that i might get one

b123

Bronze

Post by b123 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:51 pm

edzit wrote:Has anyone received any scholarships from UC Hastings? Did it come with the acceptance letter or separate?
I want to say they haven't sent them out to anyone yet?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:55 pm

bgoodrick wrote:
didn't get anything with my admissions letter. got a scholarship from wake forest which is similarly ranked so i was thinking that i might get one
Hastings is stoopid stingy, or at least they historically have been. I also doubt they care what a school like Wake Forest gives out, they probably wouldn't match it and I can almost guarantee any similarly ranked school will be cheaper than Hastings for the vast majority of students.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

superpippo

New

Post by superpippo » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:04 pm

They don't give out merit or need aid until prospective students fill out the FAFSA/Financial supplement. These documents have a March 2 deadline I believe.

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:40 pm

received admit mail today, submit in early Nov

mosquito

Bronze

Post by mosquito » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:55 am

Does anyone receive the following email from Dean Wu? I haven't received my decision email or mail so far, so I'm wondering if every applicant has received such an email. Or does this email imply I have been accepted?
Dear XX,

Congratulations! I am thrilled to write to you, a prospective member of the Class of 2016 at the University of California Hastings College of the Law. I arrived three years ago at the first law school of the American West, and I have found a community that is as intellectually challenging as it is welcoming. Since then, UC Hastings has taken a leadership role in the process of reinventing legal education.

Our strategic plan has been acclaimed. It emphasizes practical skills training, international scope, with special attention on the College's Pacific Rim location, and interdisciplinary training, especially through the UC Hastings-UCSF Consortium.

From your research, you already know that UC Hastings has great strengths. The faculty members here are leaders as both outstanding scholars and accessible teachers. They include senior professors, some of whom have written the casebooks you and other law students around the nation will be reading during your first year. They also include newer faculty who have joined us from prestigious firms, important government posts, and leading public interest organizations. Our Moot Court program is perennially ranked among the best in the nation, and our Center for Negotiation and Dispute Resolution is within the top ten.

UC Hastings is home to one of the largest and most diverse law school populations in the nation. You will find classmates who are fluent in Spanish, Mandarin, Russian, and Farsi, among other languages. They include individuals who are the first in their family to have graduated from college, as well as those whose parents are our alumni. Your prospective classmates have amassed an enviable record of academic, professional, and athletic accomplishments. Some have served in the armed forces, while others have worked for the Peace Corps, UNICEF, or Teach for America. Many have volunteered for homeless shelters or prisons, and others have been associated with high-profile start-ups and renowned policy think-tanks.

You have an important decision to make. You enter the legal profession when you matriculate at a school. Your success in the profession is very much related to that school. Every law school will offer you an education; the better law schools provide respected credentials, and the best law schools create social networks that support their members. UC Hastings' almost 20,000 living graduates dominate the bench and the bar throughout California, coast-to-coast, and beyond.

By joining us in San Francisco, you will be trained as an advocate and a counselor ready not only to practice law but also to become a leader. UC Hastings can become your school, opening up every opportunity. I know that many wonder whether law school is a good decision right now. I believe that at a school such as UC Hastings, where we offer training for the real world, it will always be worthwhile.

Please consider this my personal invitation to you. I look forward to welcoming you at our Admitted Student Days on March 23 and April 6, at one of our many alumni-sponsored receptions throughout the country, and later in August at orientation.

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:14 pm

I got it and am admitted. But they may very well be sending it to all applicants. Hopefully someone still waiting can clarify. Good luck, though! Maybe you have something coming in the mail!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mosquito

Bronze

Post by mosquito » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:24 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:I got it and am admitted. But they may very well be sending it to all applicants. Hopefully someone still waiting can clarify. Good luck, though! Maybe you have something coming in the mail!
Thank you for your response. The "Congratulations" at the beginning of the email makes me confused. Maybe there will be good news. :?:

whsy

Bronze

Post by whsy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:27 pm

Nope, I didn't get it. I'm guessing eitherthat means bad news for me... or they haven't gotten to my app yet, hoping it's the latter.

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:41 pm

mosquito wrote:
CO2016YEAH wrote:I got it and am admitted. But they may very well be sending it to all applicants. Hopefully someone still waiting can clarify. Good luck, though! Maybe you have something coming in the mail!
Thank you for your response. The "Congratulations" at the beginning of the email makes me confused. Maybe there will be good news. :?:
Well, it does say congratulations. Come to think of it, I took it as a congratulations on my acceptance when I opened it. Don't want to get your hopes up, but it could mean you're in a just don't know it yet...

tch562

New

Post by tch562 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:45 pm

mosquito wrote:Does anyone receive the following email from Dean Wu? I haven't received my decision email or mail so far, so I'm wondering if every applicant has received such an email. Or does this email imply I have been accepted?
Dear XX,

Congratulations! I am thrilled to write to you, a prospective member of the Class of 2016 at the University of California Hastings College of the Law. I arrived three years ago at the first law school of the American West, and I have found a community that is as intellectually challenging as it is welcoming. Since then, UC Hastings has taken a leadership role in the process of reinventing legal education.

Our strategic plan has been acclaimed. It emphasizes practical skills training, international scope, with special attention on the College's Pacific Rim location, and interdisciplinary training, especially through the UC Hastings-UCSF Consortium.

From your research, you already know that UC Hastings has great strengths. The faculty members here are leaders as both outstanding scholars and accessible teachers. They include senior professors, some of whom have written the casebooks you and other law students around the nation will be reading during your first year. They also include newer faculty who have joined us from prestigious firms, important government posts, and leading public interest organizations. Our Moot Court program is perennially ranked among the best in the nation, and our Center for Negotiation and Dispute Resolution is within the top ten.

UC Hastings is home to one of the largest and most diverse law school populations in the nation. You will find classmates who are fluent in Spanish, Mandarin, Russian, and Farsi, among other languages. They include individuals who are the first in their family to have graduated from college, as well as those whose parents are our alumni. Your prospective classmates have amassed an enviable record of academic, professional, and athletic accomplishments. Some have served in the armed forces, while others have worked for the Peace Corps, UNICEF, or Teach for America. Many have volunteered for homeless shelters or prisons, and others have been associated with high-profile start-ups and renowned policy think-tanks.

You have an important decision to make. You enter the legal profession when you matriculate at a school. Your success in the profession is very much related to that school. Every law school will offer you an education; the better law schools provide respected credentials, and the best law schools create social networks that support their members. UC Hastings' almost 20,000 living graduates dominate the bench and the bar throughout California, coast-to-coast, and beyond.

By joining us in San Francisco, you will be trained as an advocate and a counselor ready not only to practice law but also to become a leader. UC Hastings can become your school, opening up every opportunity. I know that many wonder whether law school is a good decision right now. I believe that at a school such as UC Hastings, where we offer training for the real world, it will always be worthwhile.

Please consider this my personal invitation to you. I look forward to welcoming you at our Admitted Student Days on March 23 and April 6, at one of our many alumni-sponsored receptions throughout the country, and later in August at orientation.

I was just about to post this question myself. Got the email, was very confused. I'm out of the country so if it's a 'YES' then I'll be the last to know. Hope it is, I like the school a lot, and am a Cali native.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

angieess

New

Post by angieess » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:50 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:
mosquito wrote:
Well, it does say congratulations. Come to think of it, I took it as a congratulations on my acceptance when I opened it. Don't want to get your hopes up, but it could mean you're in a just don't know it yet...

I didn't get it and I know am waitlisted. I think it means you're in? :wink:

mosquito

Bronze

Post by mosquito » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:57 pm

tch562 wrote:
mosquito wrote:Does anyone receive the following email from Dean Wu? I haven't received my decision email or mail so far, so I'm wondering if every applicant has received such an email. Or does this email imply I have been accepted?
Dear XX,

I was just about to post this question myself. Got the email, was very confused. I'm out of the country so if it's a 'YES' then I'll be the last to know. Hope it is, I like the school a lot, and am a Cali native.
I'm not in the US as well. :D

mosquito

Bronze

Post by mosquito » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:59 pm

angieess wrote:
CO2016YEAH wrote:
mosquito wrote:

I didn't get it and I know am waitlisted. I think it means you're in? :wink:
I just told myself that hope for the best but prepare for the worst 8)

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:22 pm

Dear XX,

Congrats, this email is for admitted students only, your official mail is on the way

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

poohbear26602

New

Post by poohbear26602 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:41 am

Congrats, this email is for admitted students only, your official mail is on the way
Not sure this is true at all.... I know I'm admitted and received no such email.

alexeipg

New

Post by alexeipg » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:53 am

It looks like you don't need to fill out any forms to be considered for merit aid. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is according to their website:

UC Hastings awards more than $600,000 in scholarships to entering students. Other than the Patiño Fellowship listed below, there is no need to make a separate application for any entering student scholarship. Some admitted students will receive scholarship offers along with their letter of admission; additional scholarship awards will be made by letter in the middle of April.

yliu77

New

Post by yliu77 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:32 pm

I received the same email this past Saturday without being notified of the decision. I then called the admissions office today and found out that I was in. I did not ask specifically whether this letter was intended for admitted students tho... but more likely than not you are in! I was told that my letter of admittance was sent out on Friday morning and a packet of detailed information would follow within a week. So Congratulations!
poohbear26602 wrote:
Not sure this is true at all.... I know I'm admitted and received no such email.

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:34 pm

poohbear26602 wrote:
Did it go to your junkbox?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Allie

New

Post by Allie » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:45 am

Got the welcome packet today. I just have to say that i really appreciate that Hastings not only HAS a disabled students (assistance) program but also includes information on it in their packet. This may not be relevant for anyone else, but, seriously, my love for this school just continues to grow :) (Sooo sad they're stingy about scholarships though, given some of the nice offers I've gotten from other places :/)

flyingmantis

New

Post by flyingmantis » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:28 am

CO2016YEAH wrote:
poohbear26602 wrote:
Did it go to your junkbox?

I'm admitted and also receive no such email. Not in spam/junk folder either.

eav1277

Bronze

Post by eav1277 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:53 am

superpippo wrote:They don't give out merit or need aid until prospective students fill out the FAFSA/Financial supplement. These documents have a March 2 deadline I believe.
Do they really not give out any aid unless you fill out the FAFSA?

gitguy

Bronze

Post by gitguy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:07 pm

eav1277 wrote:
superpippo wrote:They don't give out merit or need aid until prospective students fill out the FAFSA/Financial supplement. These documents have a March 2 deadline I believe.
Do they really not give out any aid unless you fill out the FAFSA?
Isn't that true for every college?? It's the only way they can know your need.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”