Waitlisted at UVA c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
topofthemark

Re: Waitlisted at UVA c/o 2016

Postby topofthemark » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:44 am

None in my spam. Maybe she sends the emails by batch. I'll see by tomorrow. Am I the only one in this forum who didn't get that update email today?

chadbrochill

Postby chadbrochill » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:50 am

The gist of the email is to wait another week for June 18th right?

I mean that makes sense since it takes time to do the whole "email requesting phone chat" thing. I hope they start doing that this week though!

perfectheight411

Postby perfectheight411 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:56 pm

Im on the wait list at UVA and im into gw with a scholarship. GW recently increased my scholarship but then sent this note with it

I am accepting The George Washington University Law School’s scholarship award. In accepting this award, I am committing to enroll at GW Law and will withdraw any pending applications to and decline any offers of admission from all other law schools and will not initiate any new applications.

I further understand that I am under no obligation to accept my scholarship

does that mean that I have to give up a wait list spot at UVA if i sign it?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:58 pm

perfectheight411 wrote:Im on the wait list at UVA and im into gw with a scholarship. GW recently increased my scholarship but then sent this note with it

I am accepting The George Washington University Law School’s scholarship award. In accepting this award, I am committing to enroll at GW Law and will withdraw any pending applications to and decline any offers of admission from all other law schools and will not initiate any new applications.

From what I understand you don't have to withdraw from any waitlists.

JXander

Postby JXander » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:06 pm

perfectheight411 wrote:Im on the wait list at UVA and im into gw with a scholarship. GW recently increased my scholarship but then sent this note with it

Ask GW.

I would think that while you aren't necessarily forced to give up your WL spot if your accept this agreement, it would mean that should UVA accept you off their WL that you would be compelled to decline that admittance.

perfectheight411

Postby perfectheight411 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:51 pm

JXander wrote:

Ask GW.

I would think that while you aren't necessarily forced to give up your WL spot if your accept this agreement, it would mean that should UVA accept you off their WL that you would be compelled to decline that admittance.

so basically if i sign it, it means i cant go to UVA if i get off of the wait list? I called GW yesterday about it but i think i need to call again and explicitly ask about UVA

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:56 pm

perfectheight411 wrote:
JXander wrote:

Ask GW.

so basically if i sign it, it means i cant go to UVA if i get off of the wait list?

Ask GW. And if they so, "No, you can't" then make sure you ask them "Are you sure that this abides by LSAC regulations?"

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... rency.aspx

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:59 pm

perfectheight411 wrote:
JXander wrote:

Ask GW.

so basically if i sign it, it means i cant go to UVA if i get off of the wait list? I called GW yesterday about it but i think i need to call again and explicitly ask about UVA

You might wanna call LSAC, actually. Schools aren't allowed to offer admittance with the condition of withdrawal of applications but they probably can do this with scholarship money.

JXander

Postby JXander » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:45 pm

LRGhost wrote:
perfectheight411 wrote:
JXander wrote:

Ask GW.

You might wanna call LSAC, actually. Schools aren't allowed to offer admittance with the condition of withdrawal of applications but they probably can do this with scholarship money.

Yikes... Eh, here is what I suggest:

1. Ask GW to clarify.
2.a. If it does boot you from the WLs, then ask them about the LSAC policy.
2.a.i. If they appear argumentative or exceptionally indifferent about it, contact LSAC and ask what your next step should be.
2.b. If it does not boot you from any WL, get them to clarify that to you in writing before you accept the offer.

topofthemark

Postby topofthemark » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:15 pm

That note includes a statement that said you will withdraw any pending applications from other law schools:

"In accepting this award, I am committing to enroll at GW Law and will withdraw any pending applications to .... all other law schools ...."

Since you have a pending app at UVA, with a waitlist status, GW is basically asking you to withdraw that application. I would call GW to confirm that requirement and LSAC to ask for any policy that pertains to this matter, just like previous advices above.

Rlabo

Postby Rlabo » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:30 pm

topofthemark wrote:That note includes a statement that said you will withdraw any pending applications from other law schools:

"In accepting this award, I am committing to enroll at GW Law and will withdraw any pending applications to .... all other law schools ...."

Since you have a pending app at UVA, with a waitlist status, GW is basically asking you to withdraw that application. I would call GW to confirm that requirement and LSAC to ask for any policy that pertains to this matter, just like previous advices above.

Definitely call up GW and get a clear cut answer. Not to be pessimistic but I would not be surprised if you had to withdraw other apps including WL based on the language and i would also nnot be surprised if this is perfectly legal under lsac rules. The reason I say this is because they are not making your acceptance binding but rather your scholarship binding. Further, the language is really clear say all pending applications. But please dont take any of this as an expert opinion and call up GW and ask them point blank whether its binding or not and exactly what it means.

bruin91

Postby bruin91 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:53 pm

I'm pretty sure GW can't force you to withdraw from schools you're WL-ed at. That includes threatening to rescind the scholarship stipulation. Clear it up with GW just in case. If they really mean that, call up LSAC as suggested above. I'm pretty sure Dean Richard made it clear in a former update that schools can't force you to remove your name from the waitlist of another law school--in violation of LSAC's good faith policy.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:36 pm

For clarification, a school cannot force you to withdraw a "pending" application, which includes waitlists, as it violates LSAC policy.

After April 1, except under binding early decision plans, every applicant should be free to accept a new offer from a law school even though a scholarship has been accepted, a deposit has been paid, or a commitment has been made to another school.

That comes from here, "Application Procedures", Section 6. A school cannot stipulate as part of a scholarship that you withdraw from other schools. If the GW note actually says what you claim it says, then GW is in violation of LSAC's policy.

Edit: You are not an ED applicant to GW, correct?

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:12 pm

According to LSN, the people most recently admitted off the waitlist (or rather, those who most recently updated their LSN profiles) have similar GPAs to mine, and LSAT scores that are a couple points less. I'm starting to think a LOCI is very, very important to UVA.

JXander

Postby JXander » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:12 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:According to LSN, the people most recently admitted off the waitlist (or rather, those who most recently updated their LSN profiles) have similar GPAs to mine, and LSAT scores that are a couple points less. I'm starting to think a high yield is very, very important to UVA.

FTFY. ;-)

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:23 pm

JXander wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:According to LSN, the people most recently admitted off the waitlist (or rather, those who most recently updated their LSN profiles) have similar GPAs to mine, and LSAT scores that are a couple points less. I'm starting to think a high yield is very, very important to UVA.

FTFY. ;-)

Isn't that what mine said? ;D

perfectheight411

Postby perfectheight411 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:01 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:For clarification, a school cannot force you to withdraw a "pending" application, which includes waitlists, as it violates LSAC policy.

After April 1, except under binding early decision plans, every applicant should be free to accept a new offer from a law school even though a scholarship has been accepted, a deposit has been paid, or a commitment has been made to another school.

That comes from here, "Application Procedures", Section 6. A school cannot stipulate as part of a scholarship that you withdraw from other schools. If the GW note actually says what you claim it says, then GW is in violation of LSAC's policy.

Edit: You are not an ED applicant to GW, correct?

No i am not an ED applicant. I called LSAC and whoever I talked to was more than useless and said they didnt have a policy.
thank you to everyone for helping! its very nice of you

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:15 pm

No news today?

bruin91

Postby bruin91 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:17 pm

LRGhost wrote:No news today?

Doesn't look like it.... Sigh

T20hopeful89

Postby T20hopeful89 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:37 pm

What happened to hearing by June 18? Maybe people not on tls heard some news...

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:39 pm

T20hopeful89 wrote:What happened to hearing by June 18? Maybe people not on tls heard some news...

June 18th ain't over yet...keep the faith!

JXander

Postby JXander » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:48 pm

T20hopeful89 wrote:What happened to hearing by June 18? Maybe people not on tls heard some news...

They will probably roll out by the end of the work day.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:15 pm

In b4 we all get an email saying they anticipate making some more offer next week

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:33 pm

BigZuck wrote:In b4 we all get an email saying they anticipate making some more offer next week

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:15 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:In b4 we all get an email saying they anticipate making some more offer next week

I can tell you that getting trolled by the UVA News Briefs on days like today is mega-annoying.
Last edited by BigZuck on Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”