Waitlisted at UVA c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JXander

Re: Waitlisted at UVA c/o 2016

Postby JXander » Thu May 02, 2013 4:03 pm

megagnarley wrote:Just called in. Took the honest route and said that for as much as I love UVA I wouldn't be able to attend if I didn't receive any type of aid, with the hopes of not wasting anyone's time and allowing someone else to get the call sooner if in fact, aid is unavailable.

Interesting. What was their response?

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Thu May 02, 2013 4:05 pm

Can people who are getting feelers share their stats, please? Also, did you all write why UVA or LOCI?

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Thu May 02, 2013 4:09 pm

JXander wrote:
megagnarley wrote:Just called in. Took the honest route and said that for as much as I love UVA I wouldn't be able to attend if I didn't receive any type of aid, with the hopes of not wasting anyone's time and allowing someone else to get the call sooner if in fact, aid is unavailable.

Interesting. What was their response?

Somewhat taken aback, it seemed, though I made sure I stated it all in a respectful manner.

Felt I would be doing everyone involved a disservice to not be entirely honest.

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Thu May 02, 2013 4:10 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Can people who are getting feelers share their stats, please? Also, did you all write why UVA or LOCI?

LOCI pre-waitlist, nothing afterwards.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu May 02, 2013 4:11 pm

Doesn't sound like I'll be getting in after that bit of transparency, but such is the way of the world.

Good call. I mean, UVA is not worth attending at sticker when you have 75K at Michigan/Duke. They are all peers.

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Thu May 02, 2013 4:14 pm

BigZuck wrote:

Doesn't sound like I'll be getting in after that bit of transparency, but such is the way of the world.

Good call. I mean, UVA is not worth attending at sticker when you have 75K at Michigan/Duke. They are all peers.

My reasoning exactly. I do have strong family ties to VA and love the area, but at sticker it seems unjustifiable.

Mack12

Postby Mack12 » Thu May 02, 2013 4:14 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Can people who are getting feelers share their stats, please? Also, did you all write why UVA or LOCI?

I was one of the two reverse splitters who got off the list a few weeks ago. I did write a why UVA and sent in an LOCI after initial waitlist email, then toured (I'm pretty sure if I hadn't toured I would not have been offered admission) where I told them I would go without hesitation and that it felt like the best fit for me. Then sent in another LOCI when I got home to the Dean outlining specifics of why I liked the school/ why it is the best place for me. Got the email to call in about an hour later. Good luck!

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Thu May 02, 2013 5:56 pm

Sigh, knock-knock-knocking on 6PM Eastern. I guess this teller window is closed :oops:

If past cycles are any indicator, today might be the only real batch of acceptances for UVA. Trying hard not to be crushed.

syd625

Postby syd625 » Thu May 02, 2013 6:24 pm

Last edited by syd625 on Fri May 03, 2013 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

striveseekfind

Postby striveseekfind » Thu May 02, 2013 6:43 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:Sigh, knock-knock-knocking on 6PM Eastern. I guess this teller window is closed :oops:

If past cycles are any indicator, today might be the only real batch of acceptances for UVA. Trying hard not to be crushed.

Could be, though it looks like the big wave came May 3 last year. Might be spreading them over 2 days thanks to the compressed week. Who knows, though?

EDIT: Strike that—clearly didn't look at the dates carefully. May 2 appears to have been the big day last year. That said, it seems like the number of WLers reporting offers is a little lower so far. Guess we'll find out what, if anything, that means!
Last edited by striveseekfind on Thu May 02, 2013 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Thu May 02, 2013 7:18 pm

I'm not optimistic.

EDIT: That is to say that there should be movement tomorrow as well but beyond that, this is probably it until down the line.

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Fri May 03, 2013 11:09 am

Alright UVA, it's a longshot for today, but in the immortal words of Sir Elton John: don't let the sun go down on me.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Fri May 03, 2013 11:09 am

I was so optimistic and now I feel so let down.

FKASunny

Postby FKASunny » Fri May 03, 2013 11:10 am

:?:

It's not even noon, yet. Chill.

shippy1988

Postby shippy1988 » Fri May 03, 2013 11:17 am

Serious Question:

I got accepted yesterday off of the waitlist. Got the whole email/invitation to Skype/conversation business, which was exciting. (Stats in profile, wrote a LOCI when I was waitlisted). The only fly in the ointment is that when I asked about money, I was told that there basically wasn't any.

So here are the questions:

1. Do you think it is possible that money will get freed up?
2. How does one go about writing a letter asking for some of that freed up money when you're in off the waitlist?
3. UVA is far and away the best ranked school I've been accepted at so far. Would it be totally crazy to roll the dice and go?

Thanks for any and all advice!

JXander

Postby JXander » Fri May 03, 2013 11:35 am

shippy1988 wrote:1. Do you think it is possible that money will get freed up?

I doubt it, honestly. Especially if they have told you there is not any. They're not going to make an effort to spend more on you when you don't have a reasonable expectation.
shippy1988 wrote:2. How does one go about writing a letter asking for some of that freed up money when you're in off the waitlist?

I would emphasize your dire financial situation, if one exists.
shippy1988 wrote:3. UVA is far and away the best ranked school I've been accepted at so far. Would it be totally crazy to roll the dice and go?

I would totally pay sticker for UVA's phenomenal employment rankings. But that's just me. It really depends on your own financial situation and other LS options at this point in time.

hoogs23

Postby hoogs23 » Fri May 03, 2013 12:05 pm

shippy1988 wrote:Serious Question:

I got accepted yesterday off of the waitlist. Got the whole email/invitation to Skype/conversation business, which was exciting. (Stats in profile, wrote a LOCI when I was waitlisted). The only fly in the ointment is that when I asked about money, I was told that there basically wasn't any.

2. How does one go about writing a letter asking for some of that freed up money when you're in off the waitlist?
3. UVA is far and away the best ranked school I've been accepted at so far. Would it be totally crazy to roll the dice and go?

I am still waitlisted, and I love UVA. But, it is hard for me to justify paying sticker - in-state will run you $207K and out-of-state around $222K. As much as I want to go, this cannot be the best option.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Fri May 03, 2013 12:44 pm

So has everyone who got the call been a high GPA/low LSAT splitter? Just looking at the spreadsheet

striveseekfind

Postby striveseekfind » Fri May 03, 2013 12:54 pm

LRGhost wrote:So has everyone who got the call been a high GPA/low LSAT splitter? Just looking at the spreadsheet

Looks like it, though "everyone" in this case may be too small a sample size from which to draw any solid conclusions.

Mack12

Postby Mack12 » Fri May 03, 2013 1:49 pm

shippy1988 wrote:Serious Question:

Merit aid is not available to people called in off the waitlist. As far as if its worth it at sticker, that really depends on your personal situation! For me, it is worth it, but for others it may not be!

dek88

Postby dek88 » Fri May 03, 2013 2:24 pm

i just got the email asking to call them. granted he didn't answer, but i assume/hope it's good news. does anyone know how long you have to make a decision?

striveseekfind

Postby striveseekfind » Fri May 03, 2013 2:38 pm

dek88 wrote:i just got the email asking to call them. granted he didn't answer, but i assume/hope it's good news. does anyone know how long you have to make a decision?

Congrats! I thought I read that it's pretty short for UVA, but all of the different policies have started to blend together in my head, so I won't swear to that.

Mack12

Postby Mack12 » Fri May 03, 2013 2:44 pm

dek88 wrote:i just got the email asking to call them. granted he didn't answer, but i assume/hope it's good news. does anyone know how long you have to make a decision?

The stuff on their website says a couple days

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri May 03, 2013 2:46 pm

Yes it's good news. Wouldn't it be kind of funny if they called people to tell them that they were rejected though?

"Your application was so bad, we had to call you personally and say 'You Suck.' Good bye."

JXander

Postby JXander » Fri May 03, 2013 2:50 pm

BigZuck wrote:

Yes it's good news. Wouldn't it be kind of funny if they called people to tell them that they were rejected though?

"Your application was so bad, we had to call you personally and say 'You Suck.' Good bye."

That is a terrible sense of humor right there.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”