Waitlisted at UVA c/o 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
FKASunny

Gold

Re: Waitlisted at UVA c/o 2016

Post by FKASunny » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:31 pm

Dmini7 wrote:6/19 was our last update. So.. I think we are due this week? Although its basically too late for me to choose going even if I were to somehow get in.
Her last email said that they would update us again by the end of this week. There's really no reason to be waiting around for these updates with baited breath. They don't really contain any new info other than showing that you weren't accidentally deleted from the list serv.

ec2882a

New

Post by ec2882a » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:44 am

Hey everyone! I just withdrew from UVA, so there's at least 1 spot open and a bunch of merit $$$ back in the pot. I hope it goes to one of you!

In that vein, I'm looking for someone to take over my lease at the Pavillion. It's a one bedroom with den (read 2 bathrooms and essentially 2 bedrooms) at a specially discounted rate. It even includes furniture. Please message me for details and spread the word if you know of anyone who is looking for an awesome place to live in c'ville. Thanks and good luck!

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:10 pm

Think we'll get an update tomorrow? :\

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:14 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Think we'll get an update tomorrow? :\
Yup.

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:18 pm

LRGhost wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Think we'll get an update tomorrow? :\
Yup.
As others have noted, it'll be another generic "thank you for your patience, please continue to hold" e-mail that offers just enough hope to get your imagination rolling, followed by another week or two of stony silence. :|

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:58 pm

As expected, another treading-water e-mail:
Dean Anne Richard wrote: Good afternoon.

We have had another quiet week at UVA Law, although I continue to hear of some wait list activity at other law schools that may affect our enrollment.

We did not make any offers of admission this week. Based upon behavior of our admitted applicants in the past several years, we expect that there may be several seats opening in the upcoming weeks. As space becomes available, we will make offers to wait listed candidates.

I am sorry I do not have more information for you today. I will be in touch again before July 4th.

Thank you. Have a good weekend.

Anne

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:01 pm

Well, at least we get to wait less than a week. Anything to compare to last year with July movement?

T20hopeful89

Bronze

Post by T20hopeful89 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:02 pm

To me, it sounds like the class is full, but they fear some withdrawals in the next few weeks, so they're keeping all of us around. Why don't they decrease the size of the waitlist at least? I feel like it's still HUGE.

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:10 pm

Why all the negativity? This whole cycle has been incredibly slow moving, so they're probably just waiting to see what happens at the schools around them. I'd much rather them not cull the list just yet. I've been on it since September, and don't mind waiting another month or so before giving up hope.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:13 pm

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:Why all the negativity? This whole cycle has been incredibly slow moving, so they're probably just waiting to see what happens at the schools around them. I'd much rather them not cull the list just yet. I've been on it since September, and don't mind waiting another month or so before giving up hope.
+1. At least she's sending updates as promised, even if there's nothing to report. Still better than just about all the other schools in that regard.

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:40 pm

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:Why all the negativity? This whole cycle has been incredibly slow moving, so they're probably just waiting to see what happens at the schools around them. I'd much rather them not cull the list just yet. I've been on it since September, and don't mind waiting another month or so before giving up hope.
In a month, most of us will be moving in to apts elsewhere. That aside, the negativity is because classes are likely full across the board and it's down to people withdrawing to attend other schools. Most of that happened earlier in June. We have maybe half a dozen spots to go here and that's being generous and entirely up to admitted students withdrawing, not UVA offering more acceptances.

hohenheim

Bronze

Post by hohenheim » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:59 pm

LRGhost wrote:
In a month, most of us will be moving in to apts elsewhere. That aside, the negativity is because classes are likely full across the board and it's down to people withdrawing to attend other schools. Most of that happened earlier in June. We have maybe half a dozen spots to go here and that's being generous and entirely up to admitted students withdrawing, not UVA offering more acceptances.

Just to lend some hope here, I just withdrew yesterday with money, so hopefully someone here is able to take advantage of it off the waitlist.

In that vein, if anyone here is looking for an amazing apartment that is in a great location (Arlington Court across from the Jeffersonian), I now have to give up my lease.

Way cheaper than the Pavilion
1,280 sq ft
2 bedrooms
1.5 bath
Washer/Dryer in the unit

If anyone is interested, shoot me a PM.

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:14 pm

LRGhost wrote:
Yeah, they're probably holding on to so many people so that they can match the profile of withdrawing students without sacrificing medians or the character of the class. I know it makes us all a little anxious, but it's also completely understandable. I'm very happy with where I'm heading in the fall, but I'm also going to put off finding an apartment as long as possible so that I can properly weigh the pros and cons if I'm one of those fortunate few who are pulled from the waitlist.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

topofthemark

New

Post by topofthemark » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:03 pm

I'm also happy where I'll most likely go this fall. I'm okay with the location and they have a renowned program in the field that I like. Having said that, it's nowhere near UVA in ranking and big law prospects. Visited UVA law school a couple of months ago, you could easily tell it's an elite law school - the building, the campus, the hallways, study area. Nowhere near comparable to other law schools I visited outside T14. They even give you two lockers - one for books, one for jackets/suits. Once I thought I could really get an admission at UVA, but at this time, I am not very hopeful, but still hoping. I have to move my family from another state and want to get settled down early before school starts. But I still have that thought that maybe, Dean Richard will give me an admission on August 21, when someone doesn't show up in the first day of class. How long are you going to wait this out before packing or paying a deposit for your apartment?

Chambo

Bronze

Post by Chambo » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:04 pm

I appealed my admissions decision and just got waitlisted after increasing my LSAT this June. Happy to join you folks in this thread!

For reference, 3.58/174

sl5uw13

Bronze

Post by sl5uw13 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:46 pm

yay! got the phone call today :)

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:48 pm

sl5uw13 wrote:yay! got the phone call today :)
Congrats 8) Are you going to be a Cavalier for sure?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chadbrochill

Bronze

Post by chadbrochill » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:32 pm

Chambo wrote:I appealed my admissions decision and just got waitlisted after increasing my LSAT this June. Happy to join you folks in this thread!

For reference, 3.58/174
Wow amazing!

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:44 pm

Chambo wrote:I appealed my admissions decision and just got waitlisted after increasing my LSAT this June. Happy to join you folks in this thread!

For reference, 3.58/174
Congrats on the score jump. Would you consider waiting it out a year? Those numbers would be pretty competitive early in the cycle.

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:40 pm

sl5uw13 wrote:yay! got the phone call today :)
Congrats! Would you mind posting or PMing stats?

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:21 am

Another week, another e-mail. Just arrived:
Dean Anne Richard wrote: Good morning.

We made offers to three candidates this week. Going forward, we will continue to make offers as seats become available. In talking with colleagues at some of our peer schools, I have confirmed that there continues to be moderate wait list activity. We anticipate that we may be in a position to make several additional offers in the next 10-14 days. And I expect that some wait list activity could continue throughout July and into August.

We certainly understand that, as the start of the fall semester approaches, some on our wait list may not be able to continue to wait. If you are in this situation and if you wish to withdraw from our wait list, I would appreciate your letting me know.

I also would appreciate hearing from you if you remain interested in UVA Law and if you would be able to accept an offer of admission on short notice.

Thank you for your patience throughout this process. I will be in touch again before the end of next week.

Have a great holiday weekend.

Anne

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:58 am

You should all withdraw. Thank you in advance.

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:00 pm

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:You should all withdraw. Thank you in advance.
Unfortunately, it's starting to get to that time. I'm about to lock down housing at my next-choice school in the next 10 days. If nothing materializes by then, then I shall sadly bow out of the UVA sweepstakes.

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:01 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:You should all withdraw. Thank you in advance.
Unfortunately, it's starting to get to that time. I'm about to lock down housing at my next-choice school in the next 10 days. If nothing materializes by then, then I shall sadly bow out of the UVA sweepstakes.
I'm ready and willing to live in a hotel during orientation if it comes to that.

Rory19

Bronze

Post by Rory19 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:27 pm

So I replied to Dean's Richard e-mail and received an out-of-office auto-reply that said to re-contact her after the 8th. Should I just send a brief not to the admissions account of continued interest?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”