Waitlisted at UVA c/o 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bruin91

Bronze

Re: Waitlisted at UVA c/o 2016

Post by bruin91 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:57 pm

jdnumbersgame wrote:For the rest of you guys who got the out of office message after replying to Dean Richard's waitlist update email...how are you guys proceeding? Are you emailing her again?
waiting. will send an LOCI the first week of May

TorturedApplicant

New

Post by TorturedApplicant » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:29 pm

bruin91 wrote:
jdnumbersgame wrote:For the rest of you guys who got the out of office message after replying to Dean Richard's waitlist update email...how are you guys proceeding? Are you emailing her again?
I didn't get any response. Does that mean anything?

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:34 pm

TorturedApplicant wrote:
bruin91 wrote:
I didn't get any response. Does that mean anything?
Also no response. I doubt it.

DipNote

New

Post by DipNote » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:28 pm

BigZuck wrote:
DipNote wrote:Hi all!

Is there any sense that merit aid will be available to those who get in off the waitlist? It seems that for YP purposes, once an offer is made it's in UVA's interest to ensure WL'd folks matriculate. Any idea if this has held up in the past/will this year?
They already protected their yield by waitlisting in the first place, no? I don't follow your reasoning.

Hmm - I'm thinking about a case of those who may have been waitlisted for YP, but:

1) Demonstrate interest
2) Have offers at slightly lower T14s (some with $)
3) Have numbers circa median

Can it be true that waitlist numbers don't count for UNSWR? Seems like more would game the system this way, if so.

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:31 pm

DipNote wrote:Can it be true that waitlist numbers don't count for UNSWR? Seems like more would game the system this way, if so.
They count if the formerly WL'ed applicant matriculates into the school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mack12

Bronze

Post by Mack12 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:27 pm

DipNote wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Is there any sense that merit aid will be available to those who get in off the waitlist? It seems that for YP purposes, once an offer is made it's in UVA's interest to ensure WL'd folks matriculate. Any idea if this has held up in the past/will this year?
They already protected their yield by waitlisting in the first place, no? I don't follow your reasoning.

Hmm - I'm thinking about a case of those who may have been waitlisted for YP, but:

1) Demonstrate interest

Can it be true that waitlist numbers don't count for UNSWR? Seems like more would game the system this way, if so.
called the school and spoke w Dean Richards today and she said that if you get in off the waitlist you do not qualify for merit aid. :(

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:35 pm

Mack12 wrote:
called the school and spoke w Dean Richards today and she said that if you get in off the waitlist you do not qualify for merit aid. :(
Ouch. That hurts. UVA--we are showing you the love--show some love to us!

Mack12

Bronze

Post by Mack12 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:50 pm

RedGiant wrote:
Mack12 wrote:
Ouch. That hurts. UVA--we are showing you the love--show some love to us!
on a similar note...tuition is officially going to the board for approval at 52,900 for non residents. double ouch. Here's something to take away the sting though!
--LinkRemoved--

Rory19

Bronze

Post by Rory19 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:00 pm

Mack12 wrote:
DipNote wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

1) Demonstrate interest

Does that mean that need based aid is available?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:35 am

Well, after such a promising start to the week, it's been a bust since Monday morning for us WL-ers. Not even a weekly WL e-mail yet to tide us over. :(

mmbt123

New

Post by mmbt123 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:04 pm

Called to check on the merit aid thing and the person who answered said that it's not necessary a policy but that usually by that time, there isn't much money left to be given as merit aid... So definitely withdrawing since I won't get need based aid either.

Good luck to everyone else!

Gold

Post by 04102014 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:34 pm

This silence sucks.

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:13 pm

ohpobrecito wrote:This silence sucks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TorturedApplicant

New

Post by TorturedApplicant » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:50 pm

Has anyone received a "weekly update" since 4/11?

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:55 pm

TorturedApplicant wrote:Has anyone received a "weekly update" since 4/11?
If waiting through this cycle has taught me anything, it's that law school admissions offices have a very different definition of what a "week" is.

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:28 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:
TorturedApplicant wrote:Has anyone received a "weekly update" since 4/11?
If waiting through this cycle has taught me anything, it's that law school admissions offices have a very different definition of what a "week" is.
It's like a baker's dozen to these people.

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:30 pm

"Weekly" update? More like "weak"ly update, amirite? Amirite?

I'm so sick of this radio silence. Alas, I guess it's going to continue till after the 4/30 deposit deadline.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:43 pm

Remember that time we thought we'd be receiving weekly updates? Ah, memories.. :wink:

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:26 pm

Looks like last year's deposit deadline was 4/30 as well. A wave of acceptances off the WL followed on 5/2, which is this coming Thursday this year.

Speculating, but I'm expecting a WL-update e-mail on Tuesday or Wednesday, followed by (knock on wood!) good news for a lucky few on Thursday or Friday.

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:09 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:Looks like last year's deposit deadline was 4/30 as well. A wave of acceptances off the WL followed on 5/2, which is this coming Thursday this year.

Speculating, but I'm expecting a WL-update e-mail on Tuesday or Wednesday, followed by (knock on wood!) good news for a lucky few on Thursday or Friday.
But then people can stay double deposited until May 17. So I guess after that they'll really have an idea of the class and start pulling people off it.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:23 pm

danitt wrote:
bananasplit19 wrote:Looks like last year's deposit deadline was 4/30 as well. A wave of acceptances off the WL followed on 5/2, which is this coming Thursday this year.

But then people can stay double deposited until May 17. So I guess after that they'll really have an idea of the class and start pulling people off it.
This is true but the imminence of all these 4/26, 4/30, and 5/1 deadlines is catalyzing a lot of peeps into making a decision, or at least narrowing their options down. If you check out all the CCN MVPDB threads you'll see a lot of people mention withdrawing (I know I just withdrew from three of them). So hopefully that translates into some good news for ya'll soon, with probably more good news to come after the May 17th deadline.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:32 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
danitt wrote:

This is true but the imminence of all these 4/26, 4/30, and 5/1 deadlines is catalyzing a lot of peeps into making a decision, or at least narrowing their options down. If you check out all the CCN MVPDB threads you'll see a lot of people mention withdrawing (I know I just withdrew from three of them). So hopefully that translates into some good news for ya'll soon, with probably more good news to come after the May 17th deadline.

You people give me so much hope :).

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:36 pm

Darn, my prediction for when the WL update e-mail was off by 4 days. But my prediction of a lucky few getting good news on Thursday and Friday is spot on. 8)

Sigh, if only my prognostication skills translated to a UVA acceptance...

Rory19

Bronze

Post by Rory19 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:37 pm

I wish there was some inclination about who would be approached next week. No one heard back regarding their responses, correct?

syd625

Bronze

Post by syd625 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:48 pm

I sent in a LOCI and never received a confirmation/response. Is that normal? Or should I be concerned?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”