WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DoveBodyWash

Gold

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Post by DoveBodyWash » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:57 pm

dproduct wrote:I think I'll be officially visiting near the end of February... I think I'm going to make a gigantic east coast swing and hit up WUSTL (maybe Minnesota, even though I think that's out of the picture) BU/BC -> Fordham -> (Cornellol... if they WL me out of kindness)...

Excited to check out St. Louis :)
As a Boston native, the BU campus has a lot more options as far as nightlife/food. The BC law campus is separated from the rest of the school so it's kind of isolated.

I'll hold back on the tales-of-terror-from-the-Boston-market and all-my-BU/BC law-friends-are-working-in-student-fellowships stories until people are seriously considering them over WUSTL :D

Protip: To get a job in Boston--> Be Boston native at T-14, go to Harvard, have a science Ph.D and go to TTT part-time and go IP

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:02 pm

cusenation wrote:
dproduct wrote:I think I'll be officially visiting near the end of February... I think I'm going to make a gigantic east coast swing and hit up WUSTL (maybe Minnesota, even though I think that's out of the picture) BU/BC -> Fordham -> (Cornellol... if they WL me out of kindness)...

As a Boston native, the BU campus has a lot more options as far as nightlife/food. The BC law campus is separated from the rest of the school so it's kind of isolated.

I'll hold back on the tales-of-terror-from-the-Boston-market and all-my-BU/BC law-friends-are-working-in-student-fellowships stories until people are seriously considering them over WUSTL :D

Protip: To get a job in Boston--> Be Boston native at T-14, go to Harvard, have a science Ph.D and go to TTT part-time and go IP
Luckily I have family in Cambridge I can stay with... and if I combine flight stipends the trip should be relatively cheap. I figure, what the hell... I've never been and might as well visit everyone while I'm around. Multiple flights from CA get pricey.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:05 pm

dproduct wrote:
cusenation wrote:

Luckily I have family in Cambridge I can stay with... and if I combine flight stipends the trip should be relatively cheap. I figure, what the hell... I've never been and might as well visit everyone while I'm around. Multiple flights from CA get pricey.
Niceee, Cambridge is a fun area! Btw didn't mean to say BU/BC aren't good schools and that you shouldn't consider them. I'm just shamelessly trying to make sure no one in this thread migrates to a different school 8)

ks2499

Bronze

Post by ks2499 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:07 pm

cusenation wrote:

I'm actually from outside Boston and am having a really hard time justifying going elsewhere considering ties and all that jazz. Mind sharing a bit more about why you're leaning toward WUSTL considering your background?

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:09 pm

cusenation wrote:Niceee, Cambridge is a fun area! Btw didn't mean to say BU/BC aren't good schools and that you shouldn't consider them. I'm just shamelessly trying to make sure no one in this thread migrates to a different school 8)
Totally agree. The WUSTL thread is primarily filled with pretty awesome people. If this is any indication of what the future 1L class will be like, consider me sold.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:16 pm

ks2499 wrote:
cusenation wrote:

I'm actually from outside Boston and am having a really hard time justifying going elsewhere considering ties and all that jazz. Mind sharing a bit more about why you're leaning toward WUSTL considering your background?
Was gunna PM, but figured might as well make it public in case anyone else is interested. First off, I'll confess right now, I'm not REALLY from Boston, I'm from Lexington (one of the boring Greater Boston suburbs..think Paul Revere and all that jazz). Anyway I'm leaning towards WUSTL (or other non-Boston schools) for three reasons:

(Lemme preface this by saying I'm gunning for BigLaw)

1. I'm not passionate about coming back to Boston. But I wouldn't mind. If I do end up trying to come back, I have strong ties here so why go to a Boston school? In my mind I'm more valuable as someone from a non-Boston top school and ties than your run of the mill BU/BC student. It would just minimize my market options. If I go to a school in a different area, I'd have Boston ties and a potential shot at whatever market my school is in.

2. I don't want to go to NYC. Most BC/BU/Harvard students end up flocking to NYC either as their first choice, or as a secondary if Boston doesn't work out. If I already have a claim to the Boston market, and I have no interest in the traditional second-choice market for these schools, then it doesn't really make sense to me to stay here.

3. There's a huge drop in "prestige", portability, exit options after Harvard. Besides Harvard, there's basically only BU/BC and a bunch of TTT's. Tons of Boston ex-pats from T-14's come flocking back to Boston looking for work. BU/BC students really are kind of a dime a dozen. The Boston market is pretty elitist (but then again, all of New England is). There's also a lot of IP firms here that pretty much recruit older Ph.D's, then pay for them to attend Suffolk or Western New England part-time to get their law degree.

Just my thinking though, I'm sure I could be wrong. But after talking to associates/partners from a handful of firms (both BigLaw and "Mid-Law") and listening to stories from older peers at both BC and BU...it just didn't make sense to me to stay here unless it was for Harvard.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:20 pm

JadeWest wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:
cusenation wrote:
I'm going to feel thoroughly betrayed if I happen to see wannabelawstudent expressing this kind of dedication in like the Vanderbilt thread or something :D
Haha you guys are more than welcome to look through my poast history. I've poasted in other threads where I have applied regarding my status etc, but not much more, and no where the near the excitement/emotional investment as I have in this thread.

Not to kill the mood. but i first "met" wannabelawstudent in another forum... but then again, that could just be that we applied to all the same schools. :wink:
Nah ive applied to other schools, Ive already said that. And ive poasted in other threads for those schools on this site(I'm pretty sure everyone has done that).

ks2499

Bronze

Post by ks2499 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:28 pm

cusenation wrote: Was gunna PM, but figured might as well make it public in case anyone else is interested. First off, I'll confess right now, I'm not REALLY from Boston, I'm from Lexington (one of the boring Greater Boston suburbs..think Paul Revere and all that jazz). Anyway I'm leaning towards WUSTL (or other non-Boston schools) for three reasons:

(Lemme preface this by saying I'm gunning for BigLaw)

1. I'm not passionate about coming back to Boston. But I wouldn't mind. If I do end up trying to come back, I have strong ties here so why go to a Boston school? In my mind I'm more valuable as someone from a non-Boston top school and ties than your run of the mill BU/BC student. It would just minimize my market options. If I go to a school in a different area, I'd have Boston ties and a potential shot at whatever market my school is in.

2. I don't want to go to NYC. Most BC/BU/Harvard students end up flocking to NYC either as their first choice, or as a secondary if Boston doesn't work out. If I already have a claim to the Boston market, and I have no interest in the traditional second-choice market for these schools, then it doesn't really make sense to me to stay here.

3. There's a huge drop in "prestige", portability, exit options after Harvard. Besides Harvard, there's basically only BU/BC and a bunch of TTT's. Tons of Boston ex-pats from T-14's come flocking back to Boston looking for work. BU/BC students really are kind of a dime a dozen. The Boston market is pretty elitist (but then again, all of New England is). There's also a lot of IP firms here that pretty much recruit older Ph.D's, then pay for them to attend Suffolk or Western New England part-time to get their law degree.

Just my thinking though, I'm sure I could be wrong. But after talking to associates/partners from a handful of firms (both BigLaw and "Mid-Law") and listening to stories from older peers at both BC and BU...it just didn't make sense to me to stay here unless it was for Harvard.
Thanks for this! Definitely some good points to consider.

JadeWest

Bronze

Post by JadeWest » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:31 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:And ive poasted in other threads for those schools on this site(I'm pretty sure everyone has done that).
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:47 pm

Applying to law school has caused me to dread the weekends and hate Friday.

AMilfordMan

Bronze

Post by AMilfordMan » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:36 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:Applying to law school has caused me to dread the weekends and hate Friday.
+1

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:37 pm

AMilfordMan wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:Applying to law school has caused me to dread the weekends and hate Friday.
+1
+1

shrek

New

Post by shrek » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:43 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
AMilfordMan wrote:
+1
+1
haha absolutely. anybody going to the march ASD? im booking my flight right now!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

uconjak

Bronze

Post by uconjak » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:44 pm

Good luck everyone, i have decided to withdrawl...

soccerfreak

Bronze

Post by soccerfreak » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:56 pm

cusenation wrote:Boston
FWIW, I had a CB at Proskauer Rose Boston during the job hunt season, and pretty sure the only reason I didn't get an offer is because I had never set foot in the city until the day of my interview. Anecdotal for sure, but it seems going back to Boston is doable from Wash U (Although all posts like this should be prefaced by the fact it is very difficult to get anything biglaw).

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:06 pm

soccerfreak wrote:
cusenation wrote:Boston
FWIW, I had a CB at Proskauer Rose Boston during the job hunt season, and pretty sure the only reason I didn't get an offer is because I had never set foot in the city until the day of my interview. Anecdotal for sure, but it seems going back to Boston is doable from Wash U (Although all posts like this should be prefaced by the fact it is very difficult to get anything biglaw).
Yeah I've talked to a Boston associate that went to WUSTL, but she was originally from here. In general I think WUSTL does a fairly good job at getting people back home (the coasts in particular), not sure why..maybe cuz of CSO efforts or strength of WUSTL's brand as a university or just cuz there are more jobs on the coasts..maybe a combination.

But hope you ended up getting an offer from somewhere better. Forget Proskauer. :D

timeandspace11

Silver

Post by timeandspace11 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:40 am

Its officially February here on the East coast. Hopefully we will be hearing about scholly offers in the near future!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:43 am

timeandspace11 wrote:Its officially February here on the East coast. Hopefully we will be hearing about scholly offers in the near future!

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:47 am

Check it out...they made a movie about my law school application!

Unoriginalist

Bronze

Post by Unoriginalist » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:49 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:Check it out...they made a movie about my law school application!
letmein.jpg
LOL

Shall we start taking bets on when scholarship info will come out? I'm guessing 2/12

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:50 am

Unoriginalist wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:Check it out...they made a movie about my law school application!
letmein.jpg
LOL

Shall we start taking bets on when scholarship info will come out? I'm guessing 2/12
Valentines Day

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crossingfingers

Bronze

Post by crossingfingers » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:29 am

To preface, I understand that this is slightly neurotic, but I'd love to hear what you all think: As I've mentioned previously in this thread I received an interview request, completed what I think was a reasonably-not-horrible interview with Krystal Orr, which ended positively and with her saying that I should email with any specific questions. When the interview ended, I drafted a thank you letter, and while I was doing so, she emailed me quickly to follow up and tell me again to get in touch with questions. I emailed my thank you note just after (as a separate email, not a reply), but sent to ...@wustl.edu (which was given in the signature of her follow-up email not ...@wulaw.wustl.edu (which is the actual address that her email was sent from). I understand that she likely has both filtering into her inbox, but I'm worried (now that it's three weeks later) that my email is lost in the ether and that it looks like I didn't follow up. I'm hardly an auto admit, but I was feeling pretty confident after the interview and now I recognize that I'm one of the longest reported (if not the only interview requested non-admit) waits from interview invite to decision.

So, any advice? Should I sit on my hands or re-send the email to the alternate address. I don't want to bother her again if she received the first, but I really don't like the idea that there's a possibility that it seems on her end like I never took the time to thank her for the consideration and time spent on the interview. Alternately, if anyone's successfully sent or received email to/from the ..@wustl.edu, that would help put an end to my hand-wringing as well. Thanks in advance and again, I recognize the compulsiveness I'm exhibiting here, but, you know, I just really want in!
Last edited by crossingfingers on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:30 am

crossingfingers wrote:To preface, I understand that this is slightly neurotic, but I'd love to hear what you all think: As I've mentioned previously in this thread I received an interview request, completed what I think was a reasonably-not-horrible interview with Krystal Orr, which ended positively and with her saying that I should email with any specific questions. When the interview ended, I drafted a thank you letter, and while I was doing so, she emailed me quickly to follow up and tell me again to get in touch with questions. I emailed my thank you not just after (as a separate email, not a reply), but sent to ...@wustl.edu (which was given in the signature of her follow-up email not ...@wulaw.wustl.edu (which is the actual address that her email was sent from). I understand that she likely has both filtering into her inbox, but I'm worried (now that it's three weeks later) that my email is lost in the ether and that it looks like I didn't follow up. I'm hardly an auto admit, but I was feeling pretty confident after the interview and now I recognize that I'm one of the longest reported (if not the only) waits from interview invite to decision.

So, any advice? Should I sit on my hands or re-send the email to the alternate address. I don't want to bother her again if she received the first, but I really don't like the idea that there's a possibility that it seems on her end like I never took the time to thank her for the consideration and time spent on the interview. Alternately, if anyone's successfully sent or received email to/from the ..@wustl.edu, that would help put an end to my hand-wringing as well. Thanks in advance and again, I recognize the compulsiveness I'm exhibiting here, but, you know, I just really want in!
re-send. stop being neurotic. the end. :D

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:34 am

Omfg I just realized I never sent a thank you letter. Am I rejected forever?

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:41 am

It's the same email address. Our emails are all at wulaw but you can just send to wustl.edu.

She's likely too busy to respond.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”