WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Fiona91216
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:14 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Fiona91216 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:11 pm

Ok I have to ask... what is dm;fr?

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:14 pm

Fiona91216 wrote:Ok I have to ask... what is dm;fr?

lol PMed

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby JCougar » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:39 pm

jdb2013 wrote:Is wustl full ride still better if big law in NYC is your end goal?


Well, you still have at best a 50/50 shot of striking out at biglaw if you go to Cornell. Below median at Cornell with $250K in debt = life over.

Also, no matter which law school you go to, NYC biglaw is not a long-term plan. NYC biglaw is far more highly leveraged than any other market. Some firms have 10 partners for every associate. You do the math as to how long you think the average associate lasts. Not all the exit options will leave you comfortable with your loan payments.

With COL in NYC, you'll need like 10 years in Biglaw to pay off Cornell at sticker. You might not have that option even if you score at OCI.

NYC biglaw isn't easy from WUSTL, I'm not going to lie. But not having to stress about debt is a no-brainer. Also, I do know a fair number of people going to NYC anyway.

Dolphine
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 12:38 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Dolphine » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:05 pm

Also, God forbid you decide midway through law school that being an ADA/PD is your true calling at Cornell. Outside of your first job, what school you go to increasingly diminishes in value. 20 years from now no one is gonna care what school you went to, instead they'll care about the what you did with you 17 years of experience since law school.

You've already won the law school lottery by getting the full ride, even special snowflakes expect some law school tuition debt. Don't try to double down, and this is coming from someone who has a vested interest in class size being low. Come be extra special snowflakes with us.
Last edited by Dolphine on Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:07 pm

Dolphine wrote:...and this is coming from someone who has a vested interest in class size being low....

Actually yea you guys should go to Cornell :D . Slope Day is awesome.

User avatar
Presidentjlh
Posts: 868
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:07 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Presidentjlh » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:23 pm

Dolphine wrote:Also, God forbid you decide midway through law school that being an ADA/PD is your true calling at Cornell. Outside of your first job, what school you go to increasingly diminishes in value. 20 years from now no one is gonna care what school you went to, instead they'll care about the what you did with you 17 years of experience since law school.

You've already won the law school lottery by getting the full ride, even special snowflakes expect some law school tuition debt. Don't try to double down, and this is coming from someone who has a vested interest in class size being low. Come be extra special snowflakes with us.

WOO SPECIAL SNOWFLAKES

we should make t-shirts

jdmonkey
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby jdmonkey » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:37 pm

(DM; FR) T-Shirts too!

User avatar
MarkinKansasCity
Posts: 11098
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:38 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:
Dolphine wrote:Also, God forbid you decide midway through law school that being an ADA/PD is your true calling at Cornell. Outside of your first job, what school you go to increasingly diminishes in value. 20 years from now no one is gonna care what school you went to, instead they'll care about the what you did with you 17 years of experience since law school.

You've already won the law school lottery by getting the full ride, even special snowflakes expect some law school tuition debt. Don't try to double down, and this is coming from someone who has a vested interest in class size being low. Come be extra special snowflakes with us.

WOO SPECIAL SNOWFLAKES

we should make t-shirts


Idea for T-shirt:

"I AM a special snowflake

dm; fr"

ETA: How about a shirt that just says dm; fr?

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15419
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby sublime » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:23 pm

..

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:27 pm

sublime wrote:Does anyone know what is up with the health insurance? I have read both that it is mandatory no matter what and that we could opt out as long as we provided proof of qualifying existing coverage. Does anyone know which one it is?

Whoa wait...just looked at the health insurance page of the admitted students portal..it's different right? Before it just said that it was mandatory and it was $780...now it looks more complex and more expensive? WHAT"S GOING ON

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:30 pm

Our insurance is $1,300 now. I guess they raised it from $780?

http://law.wustl.edu/admissions/pages.aspx?id=8413

All WUSTL students are required to carry health insurance. Full-time graduate students on the Danforth Campus are automatically enrolled in (and billed for) the basic student health insurance plan unless proof of comparable coverage is provided. (International students are not eligible to waive out of the insurance plan.) For details about available plans or waiving options visit Student Health Services.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15419
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby sublime » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:39 pm

..
Last edited by sublime on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:41 pm

sublime wrote:Thanks. Yea, I guess I read about both last year and this year. Is anyone else going to try to get it waived? I looked into it briefly and it has a strict deadline, but requires access to a system that we don't have usernames for, right?

Well i'm assuming we're operating on a different deadline since 1. we don't have access to the system and 2. they didn't officially tell us about it yet

jdmonkey
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby jdmonkey » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:42 pm

cusenation wrote:Our insurance is $1,300 now. I guess they raised it from $780?

http://law.wustl.edu/admissions/pages.aspx?id=8413

All WUSTL students are required to carry health insurance. Full-time graduate students on the Danforth Campus are automatically enrolled in (and billed for) the basic student health insurance plan unless proof of comparable coverage is provided. (International students are not eligible to waive out of the insurance plan.) For details about available plans or waiving options visit Student Health Services.


My undergrad had the same thing. This is basically Obamacare. If you have health insurance you simply show them your card and you pay nothing. If u don't have insurance you have to buy it for 1300. So for me I get health insurance through my parents so I pay nothing. But if you don't have health insurance 1300 is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying it on your own.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:42 pm

jdmonkey wrote:
cusenation wrote:Our insurance is $1,300 now. I guess they raised it from $780?

http://law.wustl.edu/admissions/pages.aspx?id=8413

All WUSTL students are required to carry health insurance. Full-time graduate students on the Danforth Campus are automatically enrolled in (and billed for) the basic student health insurance plan unless proof of comparable coverage is provided. (International students are not eligible to waive out of the insurance plan.) For details about available plans or waiving options visit Student Health Services.


My undergrad had the same thing. This is basically Obamacare. If you have health insurance you simply show them your card and you pay nothing. If u don't have insurance you have to buy it for 1300. So for me I get health insurance through my parents so I pay nothing. But if you don't have health insurance 1300 is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying it on your own.

Okay NOW the school owes me my deposit back. (part of it anyway)

Dolphine
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 12:38 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Dolphine » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:44 pm

sublime wrote:Thanks. Yea, I guess I read about both last year and this year. Is anyone else going to try to get it waived? I looked into it briefly and it has a strict deadline, but requires access to a system that we don't have usernames for, right?

I'm not, it's actually still a really good deal(because its a completely different plan than before ), but if you're still on your parents plan (thx Obama) I'd waive it.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15419
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby sublime » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:45 pm

..

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:46 pm

Dolphine wrote:
sublime wrote:Thanks. Yea, I guess I read about both last year and this year. Is anyone else going to try to get it waived? I looked into it briefly and it has a strict deadline, but requires access to a system that we don't have usernames for, right?

I'm not, it's actually still a really good deal(because its a completely different plan than before ), but if you're still on your parents plan (thx Obama) I'd waive it.

i hate your 'tar

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15419
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby sublime » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:47 pm

..

Green317
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:55 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Green317 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:50 pm

Speaking of money-related stuff, has anyone who submitted a reimbursement form for Admitted Students Day travel expenses received their check yet?

Mauve Lambeosaur
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:52 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Mauve Lambeosaur » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:51 pm

will be trying to waive this as well. lol at us lucky full-rides now concerned about having too much insurance

speaking of which, i have a hunch what dm;fr means but would like verification

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:52 pm

Mauve Lambeosaur wrote:will be trying to waive this as well. lol at us lucky full-rides now concerned about having too much insurance

speaking of which, i have a hunch what dm;fr means but would like verification

verified. I'm planning on emailing/calling the school tomorrow to see what's the procedure for handling this sans student accounts

jdmonkey
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby jdmonkey » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:53 pm

sublime wrote:
jdmonkey wrote:
cusenation wrote:Our insurance is $1,300 now. I guess they raised it from $780?

http://law.wustl.edu/admissions/pages.aspx?id=8413

All WUSTL students are required to carry health insurance. Full-time graduate students on the Danforth Campus are automatically enrolled in (and billed for) the basic student health insurance plan unless proof of comparable coverage is provided. (International students are not eligible to waive out of the insurance plan.) For details about available plans or waiving options visit Student Health Services.


My undergrad had the same thing. This is basically Obamacare. If you have health insurance you simply show them your card and you pay nothing. If u don't have insurance you have to buy it for 1300. So for me I get health insurance through my parents so I pay nothing. But if you don't have health insurance 1300 is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying it on your own.





No need to worry yet. The box on the top right hand side in red said that students can opt out as late as 9/15. The program doesn't even start until August so no need to panic.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15419
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby sublime » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:55 pm

..

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:57 pm

sublime wrote:
cusenation wrote:
Mauve Lambeosaur wrote:will be trying to waive this as well. lol at us lucky full-rides now concerned about having too much insurance

speaking of which, i have a hunch what dm;fr means but would like verification

verified. I'm planning on emailing/calling the school tomorrow to see what's the procedure for handling this sans student accounts



You're awesome Cuse. Thanks, because I was not looking forward to the possibility of having to call to figure it out.

As an aside, I believe we have mandatory immunizations, right? If I need them, we can just get them done at the Student Health Center? I need to see if the immunizations that I got for UG are still good enough at some point.

I'll ask about that as well 8)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], canafsa, cocozhang9950, mse2020, smartmoon, uhwrestler and 6 guests