WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby JCougar » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:30 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
jdmonkey wrote:Has anybody bought anything fun or unusual since getting the full ride?

I bought a 21 year old bottle of Glenlivet for $135. I was going to go with Balvenie, but I couldn't stomach the $209 price tag. The Glenlivet is still pretty fucking good though.


You should have gone with Laphroaig 15. Half the price, twice the flavor. Of course, you have to like the taste of campfire in your mouth. :D

User avatar
MarkinKansasCity
Posts: 10941
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:37 pm

JCougar wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
jdmonkey wrote:Has anybody bought anything fun or unusual since getting the full ride?

I bought a 21 year old bottle of Glenlivet for $135. I was going to go with Balvenie, but I couldn't stomach the $209 price tag. The Glenlivet is still pretty fucking good though.


You should have gone with Laphroaig 15. Half the price, twice the flavor. Of course, you have to like the taste of campfire in your mouth. :D


My uncle described it as "like drinking a cigar"

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby WokeUpInACar » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:04 pm

Had to turn down the full ride, so sad :( Grateful for such unbelievably awesome options though. I love you guys!

User avatar
Presidentjlh
Posts: 868
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:07 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Presidentjlh » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:11 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:Had to turn down the full ride, so sad :( Grateful for such unbelievably awesome options though. I love you guys!

Best wishes to you in your endeavors and what not.

User avatar
ccb13
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:49 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ccb13 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:37 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:Had to turn down the full ride, so sad :( Grateful for such unbelievably awesome options though. I love you guys!


If you want to pass that full ride over here I won't complain. I think that's how it works, right? Best of luck.

User avatar
Fiona91216
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:14 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Fiona91216 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:59 pm

Anyone gonna be in STL this weekend? Finally apartment hunting!

PS- WUSTL full ride trumps Cornell at sticker... right? RIGHT?!

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:04 pm

Fiona91216 wrote:Anyone gonna be in STL this weekend? Finally apartment hunting!

PS- WUSTL full ride trumps Cornell at sticker... right? RIGHT?!

LOL yes

User avatar
Presidentjlh
Posts: 868
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:07 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Presidentjlh » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:06 pm

Fiona91216 wrote:Anyone gonna be in STL this weekend? Finally apartment hunting!

PS- WUSTL full ride trumps Cornell at sticker... right? RIGHT?!

But, of course.

Dolphine
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 12:38 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Dolphine » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:11 pm

Fiona91216 wrote:Anyone gonna be in STL this weekend? Finally apartment hunting!

PS- WUSTL full ride trumps Cornell at sticker... right? RIGHT?!

I mean, I'm not gonna lie, cornell has some pretty impressive employment numbers. (http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=cornell). But, then you realize the best outcome is 160k salary in NYC and 270k in debt and it quickly changes things.

Green317
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:55 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Green317 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:17 pm

Wow, another person who needs reassurance that a full ride at WUSTL is a better option than Cornell at sticker? I thought I was the only one, haha.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:18 pm

Dolphine wrote:But, then you realize the best outcome is 160k salary in NYC and 270k in debt and it quickly changes things.

User avatar
Homelandsagreatshow
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:19 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Homelandsagreatshow » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:19 pm

BEST outcome MIGHT be better than that in a few years....but doubtful.

jdb2013
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby jdb2013 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:21 pm

Is wustl full ride still better if big law in NYC is your end goal?

Green317
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:55 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Green317 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:22 pm

I know, I can't even being to wrap my mind around having that much debt! I have looked into the LRAP option, but that just gives me a headache, and it's hardly a cure for debt woes -- it just seems to drag the debt out longer, and ensure that you will be struggling to make ends meet for the next 25 years.

Dolphine
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 12:38 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Dolphine » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:23 pm

jdb2013 wrote:Is wustl full ride still better if big law in NYC is your end goal?

Depends on how much you want that. If you're NYC big law or bust/anything besides NYC big law and I'm a failure, then go to Cornell.

Green317 wrote:I know, I can't even being to wrap my mind around having that much debt! I have looked into the LRAP option, but that just gives me a headache, and it's hardly a cure for debt woes -- it just seems to drag the debt out longer, and ensure that you will be struggling to make ends meet for the next 25 years.


Honestly, If you want a job that would even qualify for LRAP (unless I'm misunderstanding the LRAP), you're better off going to WUSTL and enjoying the no debt. With LRAP you still have to make some pretty big monthly payments (relative to your lower income) rather than just pocketing that.
Last edited by Dolphine on Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:25 pm

For the people who think that the story ends after you get a BigLaw offer at a T14 while paying sticker..

Excerpt from:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=211216&start=50#p6849827

soj wrote:As it is, if I get no-offered or laid off early on in my career, I'm in deep financial trouble. The vast majority of people who enter biglaw leave within a few years. I don't care if your school has 100% employment rate; statistically, you're gone in a few years. Don't assume you're special.



jdb2013 wrote:Is wustl full ride still better if big law in NYC is your end goal?

I mean..i honestly can't imagine myself ever wanting/needing NYC BigLaw so badly that I'd be willing to incur sticker debt to have it.

User avatar
Presidentjlh
Posts: 868
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:07 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Presidentjlh » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:26 pm

Also know that big law involves backbreaking hours to stay in it when you start. Lot of people flame out early on.

User avatar
dougfunny
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:15 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby dougfunny » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:27 pm

jdb2013 wrote:Is wustl full ride still better if big law in NYC is your end goal?


It is definitely possible to get there from WUSTL, but it is by no means a guarantee. Do you have any connections in NYC? What is your LSAT score and how many times have you taken it? If you are NYC or bust, it might be worth it to take a year off and retake the LSAT and try to get into a T14 with some $$.

jdb2013
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby jdb2013 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:35 pm

dougfunny wrote:
jdb2013 wrote:Is wustl full ride still better if big law in NYC is your end goal?


It is definitely possible to get there from WUSTL, but it is by no means a guarantee. Do you have any connections in NYC? What is your LSAT score and how many times have you taken it? If you are NYC or bust, it might be worth it to take a year off and retake the LSAT and try to get into a T14 with some $$.


Yes I have NYC connections, scored 175 first time, 2.x GPa at time of application, 3.x now.

Green317
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:55 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Green317 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:47 pm

I wonder what the law school admissions experience would be like if the USNWR rankings didn't exist....the influence they have over every aspect of the process is ridiculous. They negatively influence the decisions made by students, luring them into huge debt to attend a school of marginally higher ranking, and lead law schools to engage in all kinds of shady behavior to maintain or improve their rankings. Now USNWR is even ranking high schools.....this fixation with ranking in education is completely out of control!

User avatar
Presidentjlh
Posts: 868
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:07 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Presidentjlh » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:55 pm

Green317 wrote:I wonder what the law school admissions experience would be like if the USNWR rankings didn't exist....the influence they have over every aspect of the process is ridiculous. They negatively influence the decisions made by students, luring them into huge debt to attend a school of marginally higher ranking, and lead law schools to engage in all kinds of shady behavior to maintain or improve their rankings. Now USNWR is even ranking high schools.....this fixation with ranking in education is completely out of control!


Meh, it was all bound to happen anyways. It's not just the rankings that they're focused on. It's squeezing money out of students.

jdmonkey
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby jdmonkey » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:11 pm

Dolphine wrote:
Fiona91216 wrote:Anyone gonna be in STL this weekend? Finally apartment hunting!

PS- WUSTL full ride trumps Cornell at sticker... right? RIGHT?!

I mean, I'm not gonna lie, cornell has some pretty impressive employment numbers. (http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=cornell). But, then you realize the best outcome is 160k salary in NYC and 270k in debt and it quickly changes things.


Don't forget about NYC and NY State taxes in addition to the ones we all have to pay federal, payroll, social security, etc. 160k becomes around 80 to 85 after taxes in NYC. Assuming you wanted to live like a complete hobo and spend half your salary to pay off loans you would have to work in big law for 6 to 7 years to break even. Don't forget that with the 80-100 hours a week your (pay/hours worked) will be less than a unionized NYC Sanitation employee. You cannot deduct student loan payments from your salary for tax purposes.

User avatar
RedGiant
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:30 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby RedGiant » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:26 pm

jdmonkey wrote:
Dolphine wrote:
Fiona91216 wrote:Anyone gonna be in STL this weekend? Finally apartment hunting!

PS- WUSTL full ride trumps Cornell at sticker... right? RIGHT?!

I mean, I'm not gonna lie, cornell has some pretty impressive employment numbers. (http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=cornell). But, then you realize the best outcome is 160k salary in NYC and 270k in debt and it quickly changes things.


Don't forget about NYC and NY State taxes in addition to the ones we all have to pay federal, payroll, social security, etc. 160k becomes around 80 to 85 after taxes in NYC. Assuming you wanted to live like a complete hobo and spend half your salary to pay off loans you would have to work in big law for 6 to 7 years to break even. Don't forget that with the 80-100 hours a week your (pay/hours worked) will be less than a unionized NYC Sanitation employee. You cannot deduct student loan payments from your salary for tax purposes.


Posting this calculator/chart re Biglaw COLA. It's eye-opening.

Also would like to add that I am an old. I lived through the downturn of 2009 in biglaw. I knew a lot of laid-off first years. It was terrifying. Some of them bounced back, and some of them were doc review monkeys until they took no-JD-required jobs. Absolutely horrifying. I personally am choosing a T30 with $$ over some higher ranked schools at sticker because I knew I'd sleep better at night. Your risk tolerance is up to you.

http://www.nalp.org/buying_power_index_class_of_2010

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15395
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby sublime » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:53 pm

..

User avatar
Unoriginalist
Posts: 275
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Unoriginalist » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:58 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:Got a cheap apartment right across from the Basilica. Really looking forward to attending Mass there, it looks gorgeous.



Went last time I was in town to sign for an apartment - not only gorgeous building, but the Mass was phenomenal too (perhaps I was just lucky with a visiting priest, though)

Moving down August 9 or 10. Working full time until then.

I'm a bit worried about moving and settling in all the week before orientation. Oh well. Dm;fr.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”