WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Big Dog
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Big Dog » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:10 pm

If anyone was offended by me saying that the school is desperate (I know one person did based on their PM to me), sorry, wasn't my intent.


Not sure why it should offend, since it is true. Offering full rides to folks who withdrew months ago to fill the class and hold numbers can be nothing other than an act of desperation. They would not do it if they didn't have to. (Law schools are supposed to be a cash cow for the Uni.)

(Or, perhaps I'm just jealous since they haven't called me yet.) :P

dstars823
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby dstars823 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:18 pm

jdmonkey wrote:
Magnalum wrote:Hey guys, congrats to all who received the offer. This seems unprecedented. Is there some kind of catch? It just seems to good to be true.

Does anyone know why this is happening? (I saw a while back someone said the larger institution increased the budget, but this seems INSANE)


The WUSTL endowment is larger than that of Berkeley, UCLA, UVA, USC, NYU, Georgetown, and Cornell. WUSTL is simply buying out the competition just like U Chicago did when it wanted to get more prestigious. Never underestimate the power of our endowment! Better to spend the money on getting the best students than on ritzy faculty housing like NYU does.



by this belief half the T14 should be handing out full rides and stipends to their law students, which no lie i wouldnt mind.

jdmonkey
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby jdmonkey » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:20 pm

The undergrad at WUSTL is ranked # 14 and ahead of two ivies. The medical school is ranked #6. Maybe the trustees and administration want to get the law school on par with the undergrad and medical school.

BigZuck
Posts: 10860
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:21 pm

jdmonkey wrote:
Magnalum wrote:Hey guys, congrats to all who received the offer. This seems unprecedented. Is there some kind of catch? It just seems to good to be true.

Does anyone know why this is happening? (I saw a while back someone said the larger institution increased the budget, but this seems INSANE)


The WUSTL endowment is larger than that of Berkeley, UCLA, UVA, USC, NYU, Georgetown, and Cornell. WUSTL is simply buying out the competition just like U Chicago did when it wanted to get more prestigious. Never underestimate the power of our endowment! Better to spend the money on getting the best students than on ritzy faculty housing like NYU does.


?

They aren't buying the numbers of schools ranked higher than them. Looks like they are just trying to maintain last years medians considering how hard they are going after 166s. Although if USC drops then maintaining might be good enough for this year.

dstars823
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby dstars823 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:22 pm

i think USC is pushing pretty hard for those 166-167s right now as well, i think all of the non T14 schools just realized all of a sudden that the lower T14 dipped a bit lower than they normally would and dried up all of the 167-170s

User avatar
Dream Weave
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:31 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Dream Weave » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:25 pm

Based off the two reported below GPA median/166 acceptances reported on the USC thread yesterday, do we think there is a possibility that their LSAT median is on the edge of falling?

jdmonkey
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby jdmonkey » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:26 pm

BigZuck wrote:
jdmonkey wrote:
Magnalum wrote:Hey guys, congrats to all who received the offer. This seems unprecedented. Is there some kind of catch? It just seems to good to be true.

Does anyone know why this is happening? (I saw a while back someone said the larger institution increased the budget, but this seems INSANE)


The WUSTL endowment is larger than that of Berkeley, UCLA, UVA, USC, NYU, Georgetown, and Cornell. WUSTL is simply buying out the competition just like U Chicago did when it wanted to get more prestigious. Never underestimate the power of our endowment! Better to spend the money on getting the best students than on ritzy faculty housing like NYU does.


?

They aren't buying the numbers of schools ranked higher than them. Looks like they are just trying to maintain last years medians considering how hard they are going after 166s. Although if USC drops then maintaining might be good enough for this year.


I agree you can't buy your way into the top 14 over night. It is a process. But if you consistently spend money it is only inevitable. Like I referenced the Chicago example. When that school started they tripled the salaries of professors at Harvard, Princeton, and Yale to move to the dreaded Midwest. Worked out pretty well for them.

BigZuck
Posts: 10860
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:28 pm

dstars823 wrote:i think USC is pushing pretty hard for those 166-167s right now as well, i think all of the non T14 schools just realized all of a sudden that the lower T14 dipped a bit lower than they normally would and dried up all of the 167-170s


This is relevant to my interests. I hope that's true.

jdmonkey
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby jdmonkey » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:32 pm

dstars823 wrote:i think USC is pushing pretty hard for those 166-167s right now as well, i think all of the non T14 schools just realized all of a sudden that the lower T14 dipped a bit lower than they normally would and dried up all of the 167-170s


I don't know. USC only offered 75k for my 167. They made the decision pretty easy for me to come to WUSTL.

dstars823
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby dstars823 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:32 pm

BigZuck wrote:
dstars823 wrote:i think USC is pushing pretty hard for those 166-167s right now as well, i think all of the non T14 schools just realized all of a sudden that the lower T14 dipped a bit lower than they normally would and dried up all of the 167-170s


This is relevant to my interests. I hope that's true.


this may be anecdotal, but with such a large drop in LSAT takers and the drop in applicants at the top and none of the T14 other than NU having smaller class sizes its pure supply and demand at that point. Personally, i think i have outperformed my numbers greatly

dstars823
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby dstars823 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:33 pm

jdmonkey wrote:
dstars823 wrote:i think USC is pushing pretty hard for those 166-167s right now as well, i think all of the non T14 schools just realized all of a sudden that the lower T14 dipped a bit lower than they normally would and dried up all of the 167-170s


I don't know. USC only offered 75k for my 167. They made the decision pretty easy for me to come to WUSTL.


i heard earlier in their first cycle they had been offering 120k for 167s, maybe theyre running low on cash?

jdmonkey
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby jdmonkey » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:38 pm

dstars823 wrote:
jdmonkey wrote:
dstars823 wrote:i think USC is pushing pretty hard for those 166-167s right now as well, i think all of the non T14 schools just realized all of a sudden that the lower T14 dipped a bit lower than they normally would and dried up all of the 167-170s


I don't know. USC only offered 75k for my 167. They made the decision pretty easy for me to come to WUSTL.


i heard earlier in their first cycle they had been offering 120k for 167s, maybe theyre running low on cash?


.
Last edited by jdmonkey on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dstars823
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby dstars823 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:39 pm

im sure they appreciated your candor haha

sratcat
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:45 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby sratcat » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:34 pm

jdmonkey wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
jdmonkey wrote:
Magnalum wrote:Hey guys, congrats to all who received the offer. This seems unprecedented. Is there some kind of catch? It just seems to good to be true.

Does anyone know why this is happening? (I saw a while back someone said the larger institution increased the budget, but this seems INSANE)


The WUSTL endowment is larger than that of Berkeley, UCLA, UVA, USC, NYU, Georgetown, and Cornell. WUSTL is simply buying out the competition just like U Chicago did when it wanted to get more prestigious. Never underestimate the power of our endowment! Better to spend the money on getting the best students than on ritzy faculty housing like NYU does.


?

They aren't buying the numbers of schools ranked higher than them. Looks like they are just trying to maintain last years medians considering how hard they are going after 166s. Although if USC drops then maintaining might be good enough for this year.


I agree you can't buy your way into the top 14 over night. It is a process. But if you consistently spend money it is only inevitable. Like I referenced the Chicago example. When that school started they tripled the salaries of professors at Harvard, Princeton, and Yale to move to the dreaded Midwest. Worked out pretty well for them.



WUSTL isn't trying to buy their way in overnight. Someone earlier stated that the law school received more money than they expected after the budgets for the years were figured out. If they don't use all the money they are given, there is a huge chance they will receive a lower scholarship budget next year. They're throwing money at us in order to preserve the larger scholarship budget for the upcoming years, not out of a desperation to hit medians/become T14 overnight. They just need to prove that they require that large of a budget, and since it is too late in the game to attract many other candidates we are the happy beneficiaries

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15411
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby sublime » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:52 pm

..

User avatar
Dream Weave
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:31 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Dream Weave » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:54 pm

sublime wrote:I just got offered the full..... fuck this is going to be hard.



Had you previously withdrawn?

User avatar
Jaqen
Posts: 947
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Jaqen » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:57 pm

Previously withdrew. Just got the fully plus: "There is also the possibility that housing for your first year may be provided as well."

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15411
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby sublime » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:58 pm

..

Aeropress
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Aeropress » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:55 pm

sublime wrote:
Jaqen wrote:Previously withdrew. Just got the fully plus: "There is also the possibility that housing for your first year may be provided as well."



I got that too. Would like more info about it, but don't want to ask and sound greedy.


it's not greedy to ask for info. i would def inquire if they had offered.

Big Dog
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Big Dog » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:00 pm

Someone earlier stated that the law school received more money than they expected after the budgets for the years were figured out.


And if you believe that Spin, I gotta bridge to T14 to sell you. :mrgreen:

They just need to prove that they require that large of a budget...


Hmmmm. And why might that be the case? Seriously. Think (critically) about it.

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby WokeUpInACar » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:03 pm

Got an email offering big $$$ but not full ride despite having withdrawn. If they up it to full ride like you guys it would definitely be a game changer.

2013
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:29 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby 2013 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:15 pm

If they're giving money to people who withdrew, it clearly is to keep the median. The budget stuff would make sense if they didn't offer those students who withdrew a full ride and distributed their money throughout their whole entering class.

Dolphine
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 12:38 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Dolphine » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:26 pm

Is it crazy to think maybe they're doing this because they had some extra money and their main concern is putting their students in the best situation to succeed after law school or is that crazy talk?

User avatar
Rory19
Posts: 299
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:14 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Rory19 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:27 pm

I just thought I'd contribute that I withdrew months ago and received the full tuition offer plus potentially a year's housing. I am turning it down as it's pretty much equivalent to my GULC offer, minus the housing part.

It's generous, but I think if this was really about ensuring their graduates get the least debt possible because the school has extra money they would not be dipping into withdrawals. I think this is about medians.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:27 pm

Dolphine wrote:Is it crazy to think maybe they're doing this because they had some extra money and their main concern is putting their students in the best situation to succeed after law school or is that crazy talk?

Image

Rory19 wrote:It's generous, but I think if this was really about ensuring their graduates get the least debt possible because the school has extra money they would not be dipping into withdrawals. I think this is about medians.

I agree, this is most definitely not out of the kindness of their hearts lol




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”