WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Greyhound42
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:46 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby Greyhound42 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Woodford Reserve, anyone?

User avatar
AMilfordMan
Posts: 243
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:28 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby AMilfordMan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:20 pm

Greyhound42 wrote:Woodford Reserve, anyone?


Meh. Do yourself a favor and get some Bulleit.

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby wannabelawstudent » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:22 pm

This thread is boring now.

snapdragon25
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:43 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby snapdragon25 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:31 pm

I have a fun fact in case anyone else is bored!

Background: everyone at ASD heard about a WUSTL student who teaches an undergrad class on women and the law. Just now I was reading this article:

http://m.jezebel.com/5993443/the-first- ... -white-guy

And I saw this at the bottom:
"Meagan Hatcher-Mays is a third-year law student at Washington University in Saint Louis. She teaches "Women & the Law" to a group of brilliant undergraduates. She yells a lot on Twitter"

I thought that was pretty cool, and the article is worth a read too.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby DoveBodyWash » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:37 pm

snapdragon25 wrote:I have a fun fact in case anyone else is bored!

Background: everyone at ASD heard about a WUSTL student who teaches an undergrad class on women and the law. Just now I was reading this article:

http://m.jezebel.com/5993443/the-first- ... -white-guy

And I saw this at the bottom:
"Meagan Hatcher-Mays is a third-year law student at Washington University in Saint Louis. She teaches "Women & the Law" to a group of brilliant undergraduates. She yells a lot on Twitter"

I thought that was pretty cool, and the article is worth a read too.


whaaaat...thats crazy...Is she older or have a different advanced degree? How'd she get that gig!?

User avatar
rabbitrun
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby rabbitrun » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:40 pm

RedGiant wrote:
cusenation wrote:Goddammit how did i miss the Asian/Bubble tea discussion!?

But yeah there are wayyyy more asians on the coasts. But I think WUSTL as a university still garners a lot of interest from Asians...i know there are plenty of Asians in the undergrad program. Not sure about the law school though, but whatever I like being relatively exotic. Obviously nothing will compare to the cali schools where it's like 40-50% Asian at schools like Berkeley and UCLA (for undergrad)

I NEED ME SOME BOBA

ETA: I always get my boba bubble-free .... :(


I'm from a coast, so again, used to many Asians. While WUSTL was not full of Asians, there was a smattering, and I echo the comments that whatever one's color, everyone seemed very mingly and friendly overall. Hope that helps.

The boba tea place that I saw was in the Loop. Given that the entire weekend was a caloric disaster, I did not stop in. But the MidWest has a lot of down home burgers and fries and beer places. We made sure to sample several. I would have to make a concerted effort to exercise if I lived there. I was astounded at the food prices, on the whole. It's like the whole city's on sale, if you're from a coast.


I spent a summer in high school working as the only non-Thai person at a Thai restaurant and lived off tapioca bubbles and Panang. From experience, I can tell you that those little balls are terrible for you.

User avatar
rabbitrun
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby rabbitrun » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:41 pm

snapdragon25 wrote:I have a fun fact in case anyone else is bored!

Background: everyone at ASD heard about a WUSTL student who teaches an undergrad class on women and the law. Just now I was reading this article:

http://m.jezebel.com/5993443/the-first- ... -white-guy

And I saw this at the bottom:
"Meagan Hatcher-Mays is a third-year law student at Washington University in Saint Louis. She teaches "Women & the Law" to a group of brilliant undergraduates. She yells a lot on Twitter"

I thought that was pretty cool, and the article is worth a read too.


New life goal: get an article on Jezebel

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby DoveBodyWash » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:42 pm

rabbitrun wrote:
RedGiant wrote:
cusenation wrote:Goddammit how did i miss the Asian/Bubble tea discussion!?

But yeah there are wayyyy more asians on the coasts. But I think WUSTL as a university still garners a lot of interest from Asians...i know there are plenty of Asians in the undergrad program. Not sure about the law school though, but whatever I like being relatively exotic. Obviously nothing will compare to the cali schools where it's like 40-50% Asian at schools like Berkeley and UCLA (for undergrad)

I NEED ME SOME BOBA

ETA: I always get my boba bubble-free .... :(


I'm from a coast, so again, used to many Asians. While WUSTL was not full of Asians, there was a smattering, and I echo the comments that whatever one's color, everyone seemed very mingly and friendly overall. Hope that helps.

The boba tea place that I saw was in the Loop. Given that the entire weekend was a caloric disaster, I did not stop in. But the MidWest has a lot of down home burgers and fries and beer places. We made sure to sample several. I would have to make a concerted effort to exercise if I lived there. I was astounded at the food prices, on the whole. It's like the whole city's on sale, if you're from a coast.


I spent a summer in high school working as the only non-Thai person at a Thai restaurant and lived off tapioca bubbles and Panang. From experience, I can tell you that those little balls are terrible for you.


Further proof that bubble-free is the way to go

snapdragon25
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:43 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby snapdragon25 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:45 pm

rabbitrun wrote:
snapdragon25 wrote:I have a fun fact in case anyone else is bored!

Background: everyone at ASD heard about a WUSTL student who teaches an undergrad class on women and the law. Just now I was reading this article:

http://m.jezebel.com/5993443/the-first- ... -white-guy

And I saw this at the bottom:
"Meagan Hatcher-Mays is a third-year law student at Washington University in Saint Louis. She teaches "Women & the Law" to a group of brilliant undergraduates. She yells a lot on Twitter"

I thought that was pretty cool, and the article is worth a read too.


New life goal: get an article on Jezebel


Apparently she's best friends with Lindy West, does comedy and writes on women's issues......why go to law school?

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby DoveBodyWash » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:47 pm

snapdragon25 wrote:Apparently she's best friends with Lindy West, does comedy and writes on women's issues......why go to law school?


+100 to the last bit

User avatar
danielr
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby danielr » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:52 pm

I don't really get that comment, though. Why not go to law school? It's not (really) a last-resort for people with no other prospects or talents. She's obviously just a good writer with diverse interests.

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby wannabelawstudent » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:53 pm

cusenation wrote:
snapdragon25 wrote:Apparently she's best friends with Lindy West, does comedy and writes on women's issues......why go to law school?


+100 to the last bit

Because neither of those three pay very well (if they pay at all)

snapdragon25
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:43 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby snapdragon25 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:00 pm

danielr wrote:I don't really get that comment, though. Why not go to law school? It's not (really) a last-resort for people with no other prospects or talents. She's obviously just a good writer with diverse interests.


I didn't mean to imply that law students can't have other interests, but to get the amount of success she seems to have, I would assume she focused on only writing and/or comedy for a while. I'm just curious what prompted her to shift gears and pursue law.

User avatar
danielr
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby danielr » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:08 pm

I see, gotcha.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby DoveBodyWash » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:20 pm

Has anyone else been getting Blueprint LSAT prep ads every time they try and watch something on youtube? I feel bad for pressing "SKip this Ad" every time Christine Bae comes on

Lolo144
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:38 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby Lolo144 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:14 pm

Has anyone other than yupyup heard about the Webster Society scholarship? I applied but haven't heard anything back. Not sure if they will send an email to those of us who don't get it...

ammanley
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:51 am

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby ammanley » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:22 pm

cusenation wrote:
rabbitrun wrote:
RedGiant wrote:
cusenation wrote:Goddammit how did i miss the Asian/Bubble tea discussion!?

But yeah there are wayyyy more asians on the coasts. But I think WUSTL as a university still garners a lot of interest from Asians...i know there are plenty of Asians in the undergrad program. Not sure about the law school though, but whatever I like being relatively exotic. Obviously nothing will compare to the cali schools where it's like 40-50% Asian at schools like Berkeley and UCLA (for undergrad)

I NEED ME SOME BOBA

ETA: I always get my boba bubble-free .... :(


I'm from a coast, so again, used to many Asians. While WUSTL was not full of Asians, there was a smattering, and I echo the comments that whatever one's color, everyone seemed very mingly and friendly overall. Hope that helps.

The boba tea place that I saw was in the Loop. Given that the entire weekend was a caloric disaster, I did not stop in. But the MidWest has a lot of down home burgers and fries and beer places. We made sure to sample several. I would have to make a concerted effort to exercise if I lived there. I was astounded at the food prices, on the whole. It's like the whole city's on sale, if you're from a coast.


I spent a summer in high school working as the only non-Thai person at a Thai restaurant and lived off tapioca bubbles and Panang. From experience, I can tell you that those little balls are terrible for you.


Further proof that bubble-free is the way to go


its all about getting the big balls. AC/DC nonwithstanding.

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby wannabelawstudent » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:23 pm

cusenation wrote:Has anyone else been getting Blueprint LSAT prep ads every time they try and watch something on youtube? I feel bad for pressing "SKip this Ad" every time Christine Bae comes on

I get Ann Ivey's law school admission consulting ads.

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2380
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby lhanvt13 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:47 pm

I can't stand it anymore. Bubble free Boba tea is just a SMOOTHIE . A . PLAIN. OLD. CRAPPY. SMOOTHIE.

but yes they are fucking heart attack inducers and unhealthy beyond belief :,(

User avatar
Presidentjlh
Posts: 868
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:07 am

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby Presidentjlh » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:13 pm

This is difficult. As I consider it, since I'd like to return to Nebraska and be involved politically there...

But I would love to experience something else for at least a few years.

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby wannabelawstudent » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:25 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:This is difficult. As I consider it, since I'd like to return to Nebraska and be involved politically there...

But I would love to experience something else for at least a few years.

Are you a threat to finish higher than me in rankings?

If yes ---> Take the full ride at Nebraska
If no ----> Dude come to WUSTL it'll be fun!

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby DoveBodyWash » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:26 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:This is difficult. As I consider it, since I'd like to return to Nebraska and be involved politically there...

But I would love to experience something else for at least a few years.


bear with me since i'm from the east coast and i tend to group the midwest as a bloc, but do you think WUSTL won't do a good job at getting you back to Nebraska? I'm unclear on the attitude towards outsiders/WUSTL in Nebraska, but i think your ties to the region would override whatever concerns they might have about you going to school out-of-state...

That said, i'm not sure how serious your political ambitions are or how passionate you're about it. But it might be more beneficial to go to the state university if politics takes priority over your legal ambitions. I know that regional/local politics tend to be suspicious of people they perceive to be out of touch "with the people." And going to the state school (or another local school) might yield better political connections. I doubt that many of your WUSTL classmates will go to Nebraska, whereas almost all of your U of Nebraska classmates are likely to stay there and potential serve as your political base.

Just my two cents :)


ETA: Also, if you're CERTAIN that you wanna go back to Nebraska, then it makes little sense to incur more debt at WUSTL when you could have gone to the state school for cheaper. But that's only if you're positive you wanna go back to Nebraska

User avatar
Presidentjlh
Posts: 868
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:07 am

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby Presidentjlh » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:29 pm

cusenation wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:This is difficult. As I consider it, since I'd like to return to Nebraska and be involved politically there...

But I would love to experience something else for at least a few years.


bear with me since i'm from the east coast and i tend to group the midwest as a bloc, but do you think WUSTL won't do a good job at getting you back to Nebraska? I'm unclear on the attitude towards outsiders/WUSTL in Nebraska, but i think your ties to the region would override whatever concerns they might have about you going to school out-of-state...

That said, i'm not sure how serious your political ambitions are or how passionate you're about it. But it might be more beneficial to go to the state university if politics takes priority over your legal ambitions. I know that regional/local politics tend to be suspicious of people they perceive to be out of touch "with the people" And going to the state school (or another local school) might yield better political connections. I doubt that many of your WUSTL classmates will go to Nebraska, whereas almost all of your U of Nebraska classmates are likely to stay there and potential serve as your political base.

Just my two cents :)


Well, since I have lived here most of my life (a good 18 years worth) and I did UG here at UNL, I'd like to think that I'd still be okay, especially since I have helped out with political campaigns here. My interest in politics is quite high.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby DoveBodyWash » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:31 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:
cusenation wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:This is difficult. As I consider it, since I'd like to return to Nebraska and be involved politically there...

But I would love to experience something else for at least a few years.


bear with me since i'm from the east coast and i tend to group the midwest as a bloc, but do you think WUSTL won't do a good job at getting you back to Nebraska? I'm unclear on the attitude towards outsiders/WUSTL in Nebraska, but i think your ties to the region would override whatever concerns they might have about you going to school out-of-state...

That said, i'm not sure how serious your political ambitions are or how passionate you're about it. But it might be more beneficial to go to the state university if politics takes priority over your legal ambitions. I know that regional/local politics tend to be suspicious of people they perceive to be out of touch "with the people" And going to the state school (or another local school) might yield better political connections. I doubt that many of your WUSTL classmates will go to Nebraska, whereas almost all of your U of Nebraska classmates are likely to stay there and potential serve as your political base.

Just my two cents :)


Well, since I have lived here most of my life (a good 18 years worth) and I did UG here at UNL, I'd like to think that I'd still be okay, especially since I have helped out with political campaigns here. My interest in politics is quite high.


Yeah to be honest i don't see WUSTL holding you back as far as your Nebraska-ambitions. But i think the classmates-issue is something that helps the UNL case. Your WUSTL classmates, while great friends blah blah, will probably be pretty useless as far as Nebraska politics and intra-Nebraska networking. Not that you should disregard WUSTL on that point alone, but it is a plus in the UNL column. And then there's the debt issue

User avatar
Presidentjlh
Posts: 868
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:07 am

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby Presidentjlh » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:33 pm

cusenation wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:
cusenation wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:This is difficult. As I consider it, since I'd like to return to Nebraska and be involved politically there...

But I would love to experience something else for at least a few years.


bear with me since i'm from the east coast and i tend to group the midwest as a bloc, but do you think WUSTL won't do a good job at getting you back to Nebraska? I'm unclear on the attitude towards outsiders/WUSTL in Nebraska, but i think your ties to the region would override whatever concerns they might have about you going to school out-of-state...

That said, i'm not sure how serious your political ambitions are or how passionate you're about it. But it might be more beneficial to go to the state university if politics takes priority over your legal ambitions. I know that regional/local politics tend to be suspicious of people they perceive to be out of touch "with the people" And going to the state school (or another local school) might yield better political connections. I doubt that many of your WUSTL classmates will go to Nebraska, whereas almost all of your U of Nebraska classmates are likely to stay there and potential serve as your political base.

Just my two cents :)


Well, since I have lived here most of my life (a good 18 years worth) and I did UG here at UNL, I'd like to think that I'd still be okay, especially since I have helped out with political campaigns here. My interest in politics is quite high.


Yeah to be honest i don't see WUSTL holding you back as far as your Nebraska-ambitions. But i think the classmates-issue is something that helps the UNL case. Your WUSTL classmates, while great friends blah blah, will probably be pretty useless as far as Nebraska politics and intra-Nebraska networking. Not that you should disregard WUSTL on that point alone, but it is a plus in the UNL column. And then there's the debt issue


True, but even then, if I don't make top 1/2 in the class, I lose my scholarship, and since CoL is similar, with my scholly to WUSTL they would cost about the same.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dasq5511, Google Adsense [Bot] and 10 guests