WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dproduct

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby dproduct » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:46 pm

teiswei wrote:So who in here is 90%+ attending?

Barring no surprises (Michigan/Cornell) and a little money, I'd say 90% is fairly accurate.

teiswei

Postby teiswei » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:48 pm

goldeneye wrote:
teiswei wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:

All things (AKA scholarship offers) equal, I'm attending

I've heard the area surrounding the campus is sketchy... Any thoughts?

depends. STL isn't like NY where everyone is around walking at 12am. There is a bunch of restaurants and shops north of campus, and north of that street you really don't wanna go near walking especially. But there's a huge park on the other side of campus, and west and east are just fine.

I've never felt unsafe. If you're worried about areas, don't look at USC, GULC, etc. Big cities have crime.

I live in downtown Chicago and feel safe walking at all times. Irrational I am sure. Ultimately I'm curious because I'm trying to avoid buying another car and would rather keep my electronics (something I worried about in Evanston due to constant text alerts from NU).

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:55 pm

had one alert at the beginning of the year last semester, nothing since. doable without a car. so many people have them that you can use them for groceries. there's a zipcar service that you can sign up for that's pretty cheap.

definitely walkable if you're close enough to campus.

teiswei

Postby teiswei » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:58 pm

goldeneye wrote:had one alert at the beginning of the year last semester, nothing since. doable without a car. so many people have them that you can use them for groceries. there's a zipcar service that you can sign up for that's pretty cheap.

Luckily I have a car but my girlfriend would likely be the one using it for work. Just want to minimize expenses since we will be down to one income.

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:06 pm

teiswei wrote:
goldeneye wrote:had one alert at the beginning of the year last semester, nothing since. doable without a car. so many people have them that you can use them for groceries. there's a zipcar service that you can sign up for that's pretty cheap.

Luckily I have a car but my girlfriend would likely be the one using it for work. Just want to minimize expenses since we will be down to one income.

you should definitely be fine then. i see lots of people in the morning being dropped off.

teiswei

Postby teiswei » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:08 pm

goldeneye wrote:
teiswei wrote:

you should definitely be fine then. i see lots of people in the morning being dropped off.

Sweet, just trying to reduce dependency. I will already be financial dependent. I'll bike/walk (public transit if its an option).

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:21 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:

All things (AKA scholarship offers) equal, I'm attending

If I go to law school (instead of TFA) then 95% going to WUSTL. too debt averse to pay sticker at GULC or theoretical NU offer

andy261

Postby andy261 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:32 pm

goldeneye wrote:If any of you are visiting WashU, be sure to ask places/hotels you stay at about WashU discounts and that you're visiting/a student and they have discounts. IIRC, the Ritz is almost 50% off.

Also, I think what is great about WUSTL is that the students all appreciate how hard they have to work to get jobs and study, but it's colloquial and friendly.

I called a couple places and inquired about the Wash U student discount but still ended up getting a better deal on Hotwire. I stayed at the Clayton Sheraton.

Been having a great time in St Louis (I think I'm the only admitted student still here) and as sunny said, amazingly cheap!

soccerfreak

Postby soccerfreak » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:44 pm

Xs20 wrote:I was the one who asked the CSO lady how many 2Ls get their jobs through OCI

Interested to hear what her answer was.

soccerfreak

Postby soccerfreak » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:47 pm

Xs20 wrote:One thing I didn't really understand about the law building was how the library is laid out. Is it basically scattered all throughout the building, or is it kept to the same side of every floor of the building? I couldn't really get a feel for that during the tour.

Also, how common is it for professors to not allow laptops in class? The contracts class we sat in on didn't allow them, so I wondered if that was unusual or not.

The Library is approximately half of floors 1,2,4, and 5.

More often than not you can use laptops. Through my first three semesters, I only had 2 classes where the profs didn't allow them. Another section had a whole semester where no professors allowed them, though, so can be fairly hit-or-miss.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:02 pm

soccerfreak wrote:
Xs20 wrote:I was the one who asked the CSO lady how many 2Ls get their jobs through OCI

I believe she said 25% but that it was a "very rough estimate."

T20hopeful89

Postby T20hopeful89 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:07 pm

Crowing wrote:
soccerfreak wrote:

I spoke with a WUSTL 3L friend of mine and she said that 25% is actually really good because that does not include all the kids getting government jobs, small firm jobs, or public interest work. Just something to keep in mind...to me, 25% seemed teeny (!) but supposedly it's not.

shntn

Postby shntn » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:18 pm

T20hopeful89 wrote:I spoke with a WUSTL 3L friend of mine and she said that 25% is actually really good because that does not include all the kids getting government jobs, small firm jobs, or public interest work. Just something to keep in mind...to me, 25% seemed teeny (!) but supposedly it's not.

Given existing job stats on LST, 25% is actually a pretty encouraging move in the right direction. Depending, of course, on whether OCI is entirely or primarily dominated by biglaw.

soccerfreak

Postby soccerfreak » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:37 pm

Crowing wrote:
soccerfreak wrote:

Oh wow. That seems...high.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:51 pm

Last edited by wannabelawstudent on Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spikedude

Postby Spikedude » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:20 pm

Last edited by Spikedude on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

bettercallsaul91

Postby bettercallsaul91 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:28 pm

I wonder why some people got interviews before being admitted and others didn't. I never got an interview :/ wonder if people who got interviews were more competitive for scholarships ...

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:36 pm

Last edited by wannabelawstudent on Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:39 pm

bettercallsaul91 wrote:I wonder why some people got interviews before being admitted and others didn't. I never got an interview :/ wonder if people who got interviews were more competitive for scholarships ...

I haven't followed recent decisions but earlier in the cycle it seemed like almost everybody was getting interviewed. I didn't remember seeing anybody other than myself and meggylou get accepted without interviewing; I'm not sure what's different about us but it seems unlikely that it's based on scholarship considerations. I would say it might be because I was also admitted last cycle but so was cusenation and apparently he interviewed so... idk.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:43 pm

Crowing wrote:
bettercallsaul91 wrote:I wonder why some people got interviews before being admitted and others didn't. I never got an interview :/ wonder if people who got interviews were more competitive for scholarships ...

I haven't followed recent decisions but earlier in the cycle it seemed like almost everybody was getting interviewed. I didn't remember seeing anybody other than myself and meggylou get accepted without interviewing; I'm not sure what's different about us but it seems unlikely that it's based on scholarship considerations. I would say it might be because I was also admitted last cycle but so was cusenation and apparently he interviewed so... idk.

Trying to make sense of this whole process is just confusing. Let's just hope it means free rides for all!

bettercallsaul91

Postby bettercallsaul91 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:51 pm

Crowing wrote:

I got in without interviewing too, but it seemed like everyone who submitted around the same time as me got interviewed. Also seemed like people who got interviews were mostly 166 and above. I thought you and meggylou both have some good numbers and other offers though ... so I guess there's still hope! Thanks.

Also curious if WUSTL will be ranked higher than UMN again this year when the other schools switch to the new ABA standards. Not that it will make a big difference.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:59 pm

bettercallsaul91 wrote:
Also curious if WUSTL will be ranked higher than UMN again this year when the other schools switch to the new ABA standards. Not that it will make a big difference.

Employers are currently flocking to Minneapolis in DROVES

shntn

Postby shntn » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:00 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
bettercallsaul91 wrote:

LOL

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:17 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
bettercallsaul91 wrote:

if all us people with good numbers enroll, their ranking will shoot up. 8)

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:21 am

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”