WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wannabelawstudent

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:47 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:
sublime wrote:
Crowing wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:What does eta even stand for.

edited to add

or estimated time of arrival

That's strange, why not just write "Edit:" It is a whole extra letter and I previously had no idea what ETA meant aside from estimated time of arrival.

Crowing wrote:
Dunno, but internet norms rarely develop out of any practical considerations

wannabelawstudent wrote:To echo that...the absurd amount of quoting is really inefficient. Especially the ones that just quote and don't add anything...or just adds +1. Really a waste.

Presidentjlh wrote:
shntn wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:To echo that...the absurd amount of quoting is really inefficient. Especially the ones that just quote and don't add anything...or just adds +1. Really a waste.

+1

Yep

SO MUCH THIS.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:01 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:
sublime wrote:+1

Yep

SO MUCH THIS.

+1

RedGiant

Postby RedGiant » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:19 am

WokeUpInACar wrote:
sublime wrote:
Crowing wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:What does eta even stand for.

edited to add

or estimated time of arrival

That's strange, why not just write "Edit:" It is a whole extra letter and I previously had no idea what ETA meant aside from estimated time of arrival.

Crowing wrote:
Dunno, but internet norms rarely develop out of any practical considerations

Presidentjlh wrote:
shntn wrote:

+1

Yep

Cosign

RedGiant

Postby RedGiant » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:41 am

You guise...I just went to another law school's admitted students cocktail party thingy. And at this party, I found out that there is another Bay Area law school (not the one I was admitted to, THANK GAWD!) that announced at their recent ASW that there were five 2Ls who had paid summer internships out of their whole, entire class. FIVE. 2Ls, not 1Ls. Five. That's 5 (five)!!!?!?!?

CRAZY. Thank goodness for Law School Transparency and honest 3Ls. That stat just blew my mind.

:arrow: FIVE.

Note--for the reading comp challenged, this was not WUSTL.

But still. FIVE PAID SUMMER INTERNSHIPS! [headdesk]

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:45 am

Stanford in the FIGHT OF ITS LIFE to quickly raise employment prospects

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:53 am

There is so much white on this page.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:03 am

dproduct wrote:There is so much white on this page.

Idk I'm pretty yellow

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:09 am

JesusChrist

Postby JesusChrist » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:19 am

I'm guessing either USF or Santa Clara. Maybe Golden Gate but to even mention those words seems blasphemous here on TLS.

RedGiant

Postby RedGiant » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:33 am

JesusChrist wrote:I'm guessing either USF or Santa Clara. Maybe Golden Gate but to even mention those words seems blasphemous here on TLS.

USF for the win. I nearly spat out my drink when two other admits were discussing that this "slipped out" at USF's recent admit day. Crazy.

And now we can return to WUSTL related things. Sorry for the temporary threadjack. I know we tend to stay so very on topic here in this thread.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:35 am

RedGiant wrote:
JesusChrist wrote:I'm guessing either USF or Santa Clara. Maybe Golden Gate but to even mention those words seems blasphemous here on TLS.

USF for the win. I nearly spat out my drink when two other admits were discussing that this "slipped out" at USF's recent admit day. Crazy.

And now we can return to WUSTL related things. Sorry for the temporary threadjack. I know we tend to stay so very on topic here in this thread.

so back to on topic discussions. toilet paper rolls: over or under?

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:30 am

sublime wrote:
RedGiant wrote:You guise...I just went to another law school's admitted students cocktail party thingy. And at this party, I found out that there is another Bay Area law school (not the one I was admitted to, THANK GAWD!) that announced at their recent ASW that there were five 2Ls who had paid summer internships out of their whole, entire class. FIVE. 2Ls, not 1Ls. Five. That's 5 (five)!!!?!?!?

CRAZY. Thank goodness for Law School Transparency and honest 3Ls. That stat just blew my mind.

:arrow: FIVE.

Note--for the reading comp challenged, this was not WUSTL.

But still. FIVE PAID SUMMER INTERNSHIPS! [headdesk]

Was it a top tier school or TTT? Something makes me want to say it is Hastings. A 3L posted this in their wait thread:

Hastings c/o 2012 grad here.

I cannot believe anyone is considering going to Hastings given my class's employment rate, which, amazingly, was significantly worse than I even expected. Class of 2011 had an employment rate at graduation of ~50%, class of 2012 is 26%. It's unfathomable, really.

Do yourself a favor and don't go six figures into debt for a 26% shot at ANY job, and about a 9% chance at a job that could reasonably service a $100k+ debt load.

Any of you considering UCH, please feel free to PM me.

To be fair to hastings, their employment rate is much higher than 26%. Maybe he meant only 26% were employed at graduation, but even if we only include jobs with bar passage required, its still around 51%. I am not saying that is amazing by any standards, but I am definitely not sure where that 26% figure came from.

http://www.uchastings.edu/career-office ... 2Stats.pdf

ammanley

Postby ammanley » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:52 am

Yes, he was referring to "at graduation" stats, if its the one US NEWS reported.

Though its worth pointing out that of those 51% employed 9 months out, only 67% of those are in "full time, bar passage required" jobs. Even if you add in the 10% of full time, JD Advantage people, that's still translates to really only ~40% of grads in a full time job. How many of those can adequately service law school debt is anyone's guess, but lets not get our hopes up.

Not sure how clerks fit into that calculation, but even so there were only 10 of those.

FlowBro

Postby FlowBro » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:55 am

This thread has become a complete joke. What started off as something funny has become just a nuisance to look at on the front page of TLS.

Continue at your own peril of never being able to get this time in your life back...

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:57 am

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:59 am

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:35 am

FlowBro wrote:This thread has become a complete joke. What started off as something funny has become just a nuisance to look at on the front page of TLS.

Continue at your own peril of never being able to get this time in your life back...

What a hater.

historicrep

Postby historicrep » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:36 am

anybody have a useful spreadsheet for how they hashed out expenses? looking to nail down exactly how much this is going to cost me over the next couple days..

shntn

Postby shntn » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:20 am

historicrep wrote:anybody have a useful spreadsheet for how they hashed out expenses? looking to nail down exactly how much this is going to cost me over the next couple days..

I was lazy and just used each school's estimated budget for the upcoming year x 3. Obviously the cost will go up year to year, but it should go up roughly uniformly. I also didn't account for loan interest since that was just way too much work and, again, the differences in scholly-adjusted COA for several of my options are pretty small. As far as a bottom line "what will this cost me?", I don't know. I'm mainly comparing differences between schools. I'm definitely going to LS, so I just need to pick the best option and go for it.

danitt

Postby danitt » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:15 pm

shntn wrote:
historicrep wrote:anybody have a useful spreadsheet for how they hashed out expenses? looking to nail down exactly how much this is going to cost me over the next couple days..

I was lazy and just used each school's estimated budget for the upcoming year x 3. Obviously the cost will go up year to year, but it should go up roughly uniformly. I also didn't account for loan interest since that was just way too much work and, again, the differences in scholly-adjusted COA for several of my options are pretty small. As far as a bottom line "what will this cost me?", I don't know. I'm mainly comparing differences between schools. I'm definitely going to LS, so I just need to pick the best option and go for it.

I didn't account for loan interest in consideration for my mental health.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:19 pm

No reason to worry about debt, it'll take us like a year and a half to pay off the loans with all the money we'll be making as lawyers. Lalalalalalaimnotlisteninglalalalalalal

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:28 pm

Uva's 2012 aba data seems to be out . I guess schools are starting to post their info now.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:07 pm

FYI, I have a friend who is a med student at WUSTL and sent the following regarding housing in St Louis:

"I think the central west end is the most popular place to live for professional students. Both law and med. close to lots of good night life. I'd avoid living anywhere north of Delmar street. I wouldn't live downtown, kinda scary. Brentwood is more of a young family place but I like it. Hanley Station. Dogtown is great too, young people area. Great st pats day celebrations.

So in summary I'd look at Central West End, Dogtown, forest park, university city, Brentwood, maplewood, Richmond heights, Clayton and The Hill."

Dogtown sounds cool...

StLNE

Postby StLNE » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:53 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:FYI, I have a friend who is a med student at WUSTL and sent the following regarding housing in St Louis:

"I think the central west end is the most popular place to live for professional students. Both law and med. close to lots of good night life. I'd avoid living anywhere north of Delmar street. I wouldn't live downtown, kinda scary. Brentwood is more of a young family place but I like it. Hanley Station. Dogtown is great too, young people area. Great st pats day celebrations.

So in summary I'd look at Central West End, Dogtown, forest park, university city, Brentwood, maplewood, Richmond heights, Clayton and The Hill."

Dogtown sounds cool...

I'd definitely second your friend's review of the CWE. The Demun neighborhood (west of Forest Park, just off of Skinker) is also nice; really quiet and very cheap. I lived there for one year with a couple roommates and I don't think anyone paid over $500 a month including utilities.

The Hill might be a bit further than the typical student lives and the rental prices may not offset the additional commute/aggravation in the morning. It's a pretty cool area though and my friends who live there and around south city love it.

I would strongly recommend avoiding anything in U-City. It's not a lawless gangland by any stretch, but does have more than it's fair share of robberies and muggings and is adjacent to some pretty nasty areas. I know a lot of people who lived there during undergrad and had a number of problems (pm for details). Don't live downtown; there is honestly very little to do there and the commute is longer than than it looks.

ehumanzada

Postby ehumanzada » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:47 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:FYI, I have a friend who is a med student at WUSTL and sent the following regarding housing in St Louis:

Dogtown sounds cool...

I have been living in stl for the past seven years so let me give u a brief overview of some neighborhoods

Central west end- definitely a more popular choice for young professionals to live and spend time in. Lots of cool restaurants and bars to go to and probably the best place to live within 5 minutes driving distance of washu for young single students.

Dogtown- a neighborhood that the irish immigrants took over and is still predominantly irish catholic. There are some good parts of this neighborhood. But i would not recommend this "has been" neighborhood to any young people that is new in stl.

Forest park (west end?)dont really know if there is a neighborhood in town called "forest park" but im assuming it is the areas surrounding the largest public city park in the u.s. i live a block or so north from the park and i highly recommend looking at the area called the west end whih is north of forest park south of delmar west of kings highway and east of debaliviere. This block of neighborhood has tons of cheap apartments and most of the residents are young professionals or grad school students. If you are living with your significant other i highly recommend this area.

University city/ delmar loop- there are some nice parts here, namely just north of the border between clayton and u city but besides that mostly ghetto and very hippy/druggy friendly Rents are cheap so unless $ is the biggest issue above all else, stay out.

Brentwood/maplewood/richmond hts- pretty much an urban suburbia for young middle class families to older lower middle class families. It is what it is. If you are married and have kids and want to live in a cozy little house live here. If you dont really care about experiencing the booming culture of stl live here. If not, there are better options in st louis.

Clayton- very nice suburban neighborhood that has a its own unique culture. Lots of professionals with family and $ live here. If money isnt an issue and you want to live in the suburbs that is 5 minutes from washu live here.

Overall i give the highest recommendations to central west end and west end (assuming you are a young single person) and lowest recommendations to university city.

This is obviously just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt and you should actually visit the neighborhoods yourself and find the right fit!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”