WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bettercallsaul91

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby bettercallsaul91 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:13 am

sigh. waiting for scholarships to be released = flight tickets from CA have climbed up to ~$700.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:32 am

bettercallsaul91 wrote:sigh. waiting for scholarships to be released = flight tickets from CA have climbed up to ~$700.

I know. I'm MAF. I'm trying to re-organize this trip so I don't have to drop so much money on this.

bettercallsaul91

Postby bettercallsaul91 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:37 am

dproduct wrote:
bettercallsaul91 wrote:sigh. waiting for scholarships to be released = flight tickets from CA have climbed up to ~$700.

I know. I'm MAF. I'm trying to re-organize this trip so I don't have to drop so much money on this.

Let me know if you come up with any brilliant ideas.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:13 am

bettercallsaul91 wrote:
dproduct wrote:

I'm now thinking of staying in Boston after BU/BC ASDs... and maybe crashing with friends in the area and somehow go to STL from there? Idk... So much money. :|

I'll figure it out though.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:25 am

Hey everyone,
Apparently a few of my fraternity alumni are in St. Louis. One's a lawyer and his wife's a real estate agent. There are others but I dunno what they do.

If anyone has any questions about housing/St. Louis legal market then I'd be happy to ask them when I get in touch with them..

The lawyer was an associate at,
Behr, McCarter and Potter
The Padberg and Corrigan Law Firm
Gibbs, Pool and Turner

And now he's an in-house counsel.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:04 pm

dproduct wrote:
bettercallsaul91 wrote:
dproduct wrote:

I'm now thinking of staying in Boston after BU/BC ASDs... and maybe crashing with friends in the area and somehow go to STL from there? Idk... So much money. :|

I'll figure it out though.

LS road trip?

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:13 pm

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:20 pm

sublime wrote:I wish I could visit schools. I am likely going to have to pick one sight unseen, possibly in a state that I have never even been to (fortunately WUSTL is not included as my mom lives in MO) Which is less than ideal, although I am sure I can deal with it.

I would seriously try and do everything I can to visit the school you're going to attend. Many schools will help cover some of the expense.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:30 pm

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:02 pm

sublime wrote:Yea, I would love to and in a perfect world, I would. I may see if I have any way of doing it next month, but getting time of work is difficult because I have a schedule that no one wants to cover and a few hundred dollars won't do much to get me from Florida to Iowa, St Louis, or Minnesota (the three choices at this point). At least I am pretty low maintenance and don't take much to be satisfied so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Also, interactions with people here and the admissions office have at least made me somewhat comfortable with WUSTL, at least.

To be fair, if you are already leaning WUSTL vs Minnesota or Iowa, that's not a decision that visiting the schools would be likely to change. WUSTL definitely wins on the campus visit fronts.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:28 pm

JayJones78 wrote:LS road trip?

Yup. I'm thinking off doing NYC/Philly and then trek over to St. Louis now. EXCITED.

shntn

Postby shntn » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:40 pm

dproduct wrote:

Yup. I'm thinking off doing NYC/Philly and then trek over to St. Louis now. EXCITED.

Philly first wut? You may get to rage with shitty after all!

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:44 pm

shntn wrote:
dproduct wrote:

Philly first wut? You may get to rage with shitty after all!

Doh, I forgot you live in Philly. One of my best friends goes to UPENN and I was gonna visit her for 2 days-ish.

Lawd have mercy.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:13 pm

Because I remember people were wondering about endowments and the last link was from like 2005 or something.

A primitive infographic: WUSTL Endowment compared to "traditional peers" in 2012 dollars

Notre Dame: 6.330 billion
Emory: 5.461 billion
WUSTL: 5.226 billion
University of Southern California: 3.489 billion
Vanderbilt: 3.399 billion
Minnesota: 2.494 billion
University of Washington: 2.111 billion
Boston College: 1.646 billion
University of Illinois Urbana Champaign: 1.6 billion
George Washington: 1.306 billion
Washington & Lee: 1.218 billion
Boston University: 1.104 billion
Fordham University: 511 million

And I think I discovered why American charges a $900 deposit fee and is handing out shitty scholly...
American University: 455 million

Source: http://www.nacubo.org/Documents/research/2012NCSEPublicTablesEndowmentMarketValuesFinalJanuary232013.pdf

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:50 pm

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:54 pm

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:57 pm

Cuse that'd be more helpful if you did the law schools endowment....which is very different. For example WUSTL's is 121 million.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:58 pm

sublime wrote:Wow, aside from ND at the top, that is nothing at all like I would have guessed. I probably would have gone:

ND>Vandy>USC>WUSTL>Minnesota>Emory>BC>Washington... It is possible that my guesses about endowments are shaded by sports/national exposure.

That's actually really interesting because the list was exactly how I would have guessed it just based on my East Coast perception of lay prestige...what region are you from?

Also, i'm pretty sure revenue from athletic programs are the university-equivalent of easy drug money that they just blow on models and bottles. Cuse' endowment is only 900 million and i know we make a shit ton of money from our basketball program LOL

wannabelawstudent wrote:Cuse that'd be more helpful if you did the law schools endowment....which is very different. For example WUSTL's is 121 million.

True, but the Leiter numbers are the most recent law school endowment numbers that I can find, and that was already posted earlier ITT. But I thought the university endowments were interesting because it gives some insight into the dynamic between the law school and university-at-large as far as revenue contributions. (Since law schools are the unofficial cash cows for these universities) For example...GW, GULC, and American are all comparatively broke as HELL. Could explain their large class sizes and stingy scholly hand-outs

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:18 pm

How's it going guys. loving the title and first time posting in the best thread. who else is waiting for WUSTL? I'm expecting a ding
I love StL though

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:19 pm

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:22 pm

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:25 pm

sublime wrote:
cusenation wrote:
sublime wrote:True, but the Leiter numbers are the most recent law school endowment numbers that I can find, and that was already posted earlier ITT. But I thought the university endowments were interesting because it gives some insight into the dynamic between the law school and university-at-large as far as revenue contributions. (Since law schools are the unofficial cash cows for these universities) For example...GW, GULC, and American are all comparatively broke as HELL. Could explain their large class sizes and stingy scholly hand-outs

Also, because I am generally interested, how many law schools operate at a deficit and are subsidized by the university? Or do more people pay sticker than it would seem from browsing TLS? I do understand that users on this forum would be less likely to pay sticker anywhere but top 5-14 than general applicants though.

Edit: Also, sorry for the double post.

Np, that's an interesting question though. I'll try and find out later after I come back from the bars...But yes..SOO MANY KIDS outside of TLS are willing to pay sticker...Even the concept of negotiating scholarships is like shocking to non-TLSers

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:28 pm

Top of the page. Cuse hates women.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:07 pm

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:08 pm

sublime wrote:Browsing other discussions, particularly the Vandy one, does WUSTL have a political leaning generally? Anyone know? They are a private school in Missouri, but in one of the three liberal parts of it. And they seem to stress international law and public interest, both of which I would guess lean left. Anyone have any idea?

Idk about the LS but the UG is standard academic left-leaning and STL as a city is pretty blue (except for South County).

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”