WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
shntn

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby shntn » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:34 pm

danielr wrote:shntn: You could always convince people to check out the downtown bars--Washington Ave, in particular, has undergone revitalization in the past 5 years and now is full of interesting places (restaurants, bars, pubs, or clubs if you're into that kind of thing). Downtown St. Louis can be fun. It just needs more people in it.

Thanks for the tip. I plan to just float around and do what everyone else winds up doing, though I have a feeling I'll be dragging folks to the little cluster of gay bars before all is said and done.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:36 pm

cusenation wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:So what would you guys say about WUSTL's employment data for the class of 2012? To me it seems like slight gains at big law firms, but overall pretty similar numbers to last year.

Yeah I think employment is gonna be stagnant across the board for everyone..I can't see any school making a significant gain. In general it looks like WUSTL's placement is on par with its peers, which is sort of surprising considering it's location and lack of a major home market. But smaller class sizes should help slightly going forward.

Our LST employment score for 2012 will be about 10% higher than 2011 so it was definitely better. Sounds like our class looks better than 2012 as of now too. And I really do think the smaller class size will be a benefit for you guys.

westphiladelphia

Postby westphiladelphia » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:36 pm

shntn wrote:
danielr wrote:shntn: You could always convince people to check out the downtown bars--Washington Ave, in particular, has undergone revitalization in the past 5 years and now is full of interesting places (restaurants, bars, pubs, or clubs if you're into that kind of thing). Downtown St. Louis can be fun. It just needs more people in it.

Thanks for the tip. I plan to just float around and do what everyone else winds up doing, though I have a feeling I'll be dragging folks to the little cluster of gay bars before all is said and done.

here, here.

also, if Ke$ha wasn't so 50 pages ago, I'd mention her.

timeandspace11

Postby timeandspace11 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:38 pm

cusenation wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:So what would you guys say about WUSTL's employment data for the class of 2012? To me it seems like slight gains at big law firms, but overall pretty similar numbers to last year.

Yeah I think employment is gonna be stagnant across the board for everyone..I can't see any school making a surprising leap forward. In general it looks like WUSTL's placement is on par with its peers, which is sort of surprising considering it's location and lack of a major home market. But smaller class sizes should help slightly going forward.

I would definitely say that is true about small class sizes. I feel like it isnt until the class of 2015 when we will get a good luck at how the market looks for us. Not just because it is obviously the year right before we go, but because the class size will be similar.

You are probably right about employment statistics being static across the board. There are a few schools whose data Im really interested to see, specifically BU and Texas, because their numbers bumped up a bit on the NLJ 250 list.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:40 pm

So i spent a week or two putting together a list of two-bedroom apartments in CWE/U-City/Clayton/Forest Park until we decided to switch to a three-person. If anyone wants to peruse through the listings so they can compare rent to other cities or get a head start on housing, PM me.

EDIT: I'm gonna compile them into a public Google doc with editing restrictions or something. I'll figure out a way to share the list with people so that no one has to disclose their email address or anything to me.

Xs20

Postby Xs20 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:49 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:XS20, i still want you to crash ASW sans parents to dislodge your halo!!

Hahaha, I'd love to come hang out with you guys! I'm actually planning on shooting down there one of these weekends to check out some apartments, but I don't have a place to stay overnight so I'd probably have to leave the same day. Desperate to shed the halo, though.

shntn

Postby shntn » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:50 pm

Xs20 wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:XS20, i still want you to crash ASW sans parents to dislodge your halo!!

Hahaha, I'd love to come hang out with you guys! I'm actually planning on shooting down there one of these weekends to check out some apartments, but I don't have a place to stay overnight so I'd probably have to leave the same day. Desperate to shed the halo, though.

You've got a fleet of TLSers with hotel rooms, dude. You have a place to crash.

westphiladelphia

Postby westphiladelphia » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:57 pm

Xs20 wrote:

shed...the...halo.

shed...the...halo.

RedGiant

Postby RedGiant » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:00 pm

You've got a fleet of TLSers with hotel rooms, dude. You have a place to crash.[/quote]

Umm...speaking of which, any ladies want to share a hotel room? (I am female!) I am flying in Thurs, out Saturday evening, and prolly will rent a car so I can jet around and see the sites on Saturday for a tad. Because STL has so many sites, really. PM me. I haven't booked anything, except my flights, about 2 secs ago (WOOT WOOT need to listen to some Ke$ha to get ready....)

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:36 pm

GUYS IM ABOUT TO BE THE HYS OF THE RANKINGS PREDICTION THREAD! My body is ready!!!!!!

Unoriginalist

Postby Unoriginalist » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:38 pm

cusenation wrote:GUYS IM ABOUT TO BE THE HYS OF THE RANKINGS PREDICTION THREAD! My body is ready!!!!!!

Go Cuse! Represent!

Sorry, though, but that contest was STOLEN from sunny.

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:47 pm

Alright, factoring in debt from loans...total cost for me to attend...

$230,000...

Whelp, I guess no WUSTL for me now... :(

Unoriginalist

Postby Unoriginalist » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:48 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:Alright, factoring in debt from loans...total cost for me to attend...

$230,000...

Did you get all your scholarship info yet? I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped you some non-negligible scholarship (assuming they haven't yet)

NIUmelk

Postby NIUmelk » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:51 pm

My status checker just updated to "application complete" today after sitting at "application complete" since 1/31. The fee box also updated to include a first and second deposit....does this mean I'm in or are they just teasing me?

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:53 pm

Unoriginalist wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:Alright, factoring in debt from loans...total cost for me to attend...

$230,000...

Did you get all your scholarship info yet? I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped you some non-negligible scholarship (assuming they haven't yet)

That's factoring in the 84k scholarship.

It's that damned interest on loans. Maybe I'm calculating wrong, but that's going to absolutely kill me. 42,000 in loans for the rest of tuition and CoL per year? 6.8% for half of it, 7.9% for the other? Ugh...

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:56 pm

Got my financial aid package. That was um.... not fun.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:58 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:
Unoriginalist wrote:

$230,000...

It's that damned interest on loans. Maybe I'm calculating wrong, but that's going to absolutely kill me. 42,000 in loans for the rest of tuition and CoL per year? 6.8% for half of it, 7.9% for the other? Ugh...

100K+ in interest? You sure? Or is this after taking ten years to pay it off, not right when you graduate?

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:00 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:
Unoriginalist wrote:

$230,000...

100K+ in interest? You sure? Or is this after taking ten years to pay it off, not right when you graduate?

I'm assuming it's gonna take the full 10 years, I'm going at this from as realistic as a perspective as I can. And doesn't the debt accumulate over those ten years?

shntn

Postby shntn » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:06 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:
I'm assuming it's gonna take the full 10 years, I'm going at this from as realistic as a perspective as I can. And doesn't the debt accumulate over those ten years?

Oh, so a worst-case scenario.

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:07 pm

shntn wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:

Best to be prepared for the worst, no?

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:08 pm

Just got in! Does anyone know when they send scholarship info?

shntn

Postby shntn » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:08 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:
shntn wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:

Best to be prepared for the worst, no?

To an extent, yeah.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:10 pm

$230,000...

Yeah....If you take out loans for everything, it comes out to a shit-ton of loans even when you get a lot of scholly..no matter which school it is. It's why I'm always so insistent that people consider COL before they run off to a NYC school at sticker.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:12 pm

$230,000...

Not to burst your bubble....but you forgot the 4% one time charge on the grad plus loans.

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:13 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:

$230,000...

Not to burst your bubble....but you forgot the 4% one time charge on the grad plus loans.

At that point, what difference does another 10k or whatever mean, lol?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”