WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
dproduct
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby dproduct » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:42 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:What's the YP?

Yield protection. One of the factors of USNWR rankings is selectivity, and another is yield (of the number of applicants admitted, how many actually matriculate.) By not accepting students who would most likely go somewhere else anyway, schools help with both of those numbers.

However, WUSTL in the past has shown no signs of practicing YP, so this would be a first.


Indeed.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:42 pm

nowhammies wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:My interview is scheduled for tomorrow. Anyone has any tips on why wash u?


Are you serious? You applied to the school and you don't have any original thoughts on why you wish to attend? There's no one magical answer that the interviewers like to hear.


Yes. I am serious. I applied to many schools without having precise reasons to why I want to go there other than job prospects, academic reputation, overall regional aspect (although I have no ties anywhere so I can't say ties are big for me) and their ranking. This doesn't say that I didn't and still read about the schools, their clinics, atmosphere etc. I do. I just don't see those thoughts as original.

User avatar
hhockberger
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:28 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby hhockberger » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:56 pm

Pretty late to the party, but after reading everyone's posts about how 167 seems to be the magic number I decided to throw my hat in the ring. Fingers crossed!

User avatar
harveyfan
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby harveyfan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:02 pm

Got my acceptance letter in the mail today!

User avatar
dproduct
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby dproduct » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:08 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
nowhammies wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:My interview is scheduled for tomorrow. Anyone has any tips on why wash u?


Are you serious? You applied to the school and you don't have any original thoughts on why you wish to attend? There's no one magical answer that the interviewers like to hear.


Yes. I am serious. I applied to many schools without having precise reasons to why I want to go there other than job prospects, academic reputation, overall regional aspect (although I have no ties anywhere so I can't say ties are big for me) and their ranking. This doesn't say that I didn't and still read about the schools, their clinics, atmosphere etc. I do. I just don't see those thoughts as original.


Those all seem like excellent reasons to bring up for a why WUSTL question.

ETA: One of mine was job portability and we talked about it for a good 10 minutes FWIW. Don't feel the need to have something interesting or unique. Be sincere.

User avatar
dproduct
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby dproduct » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:09 pm

harveyfan wrote:Got my acceptance letter in the mail today!


Congrats!!!! :)

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:14 pm

dproduct wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
nowhammies wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:My interview is scheduled for tomorrow. Anyone has any tips on why wash u?


Are you serious? You applied to the school and you don't have any original thoughts on why you wish to attend? There's no one magical answer that the interviewers like to hear.


Yes. I am serious. I applied to many schools without having precise reasons to why I want to go there other than job prospects, academic reputation, overall regional aspect (although I have no ties anywhere so I can't say ties are big for me) and their ranking. This doesn't say that I didn't and still read about the schools, their clinics, atmosphere etc. I do. I just don't see those thoughts as original.


Those all seem like excellent reasons to bring up for a why WUSTL question.

ETA: One of mine was job portability and we talked about it for a good 10 minutes FWIW. Don't feel the need to have something interesting or unique. Be sincere.


Talk about their clinics, they have a really strong clinical program. Also everyone gets to participate in their clinics, unlike the lottery system at a lot of peer schools

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:33 pm

cusenation wrote:
dproduct wrote:
nowhammies wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:My interview is scheduled for tomorrow. Anyone has any tips on why wash u?


Are you serious? You applied to the school and you don't have any original thoughts on why you wish to attend? There's no one magical answer that the interviewers like to hear.


Yes. I am serious. I applied to many schools without having precise reasons to why I want to go there other than job prospects, academic reputation, overall regional aspect (although I have no ties anywhere so I can't say ties are big for me) and their ranking. This doesn't say that I didn't and still read about the schools, their clinics, atmosphere etc. I do. I just don't see those thoughts as original.


Those all seem like excellent reasons to bring up for a why WUSTL question.

ETA: One of mine was job portability and we talked about it for a good 10 minutes FWIW. Don't feel the need to have something interesting or unique. Be sincere.



Talk about their clinics, they have a really strong clinical program. Also everyone gets to participate in their clinics, unlike the lottery system at a lot of peer schools[/quote]


Thank you both. Definitely great advice!!

EDIT: god help me I just don't know what to do when there are more than 4 posts to quote and how to get rid of one or more without me looking like an idiot who can't use it right :oops:

User avatar
blueapple
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:56 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby blueapple » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:45 pm

Got my acceptance in the mail today finally! I was a WUSTL undergrad so if anyone has any Wash U or STL questions feel free to shoot me a message

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby wannabelawstudent » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:14 pm

.
Last edited by wannabelawstudent on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby JayJones78 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:02 pm

Had my phone interview today. Overall I believe it went well. I would say 15 min or so. Was asked the usual questions. Was not offered admissions at end of the call but I wasn't really surprised considering my numbers. Still another nice thing to add for the app :o

illiniguy1551
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:37 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby illiniguy1551 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:43 pm

Has there been a wave of rejections yet? I'm just want to be rejected already instead of having this pipe-dream of actually getting in lol.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:57 pm

illiniguy1551 wrote:Has there been a wave of rejections yet? I'm just want to be rejected already instead of having this pipe-dream of actually getting in lol.



None that we know of so far

User avatar
romanticegotist
Posts: 1755
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby romanticegotist » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:58 pm

How hard are they holding the line on 167s? I thought about applying but didn't wanna deal with arbitrary rejection haha

ks2499
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:40 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby ks2499 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:00 pm

romanticegotist wrote:How hard are they holding the line on 167s? I thought about applying but didn't wanna deal with arbitrary rejection haha


http://washu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Looks like you're in to me.

User avatar
romanticegotist
Posts: 1755
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby romanticegotist » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:01 pm

ks2499 wrote:
romanticegotist wrote:How hard are they holding the line on 167s? I thought about applying but didn't wanna deal with arbitrary rejection haha


http://washu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Looks like you're in to me.


Helllllllooooo St. Louis. Thanks for the #s.

User avatar
danielr
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby danielr » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:07 pm

romanticegotist wrote:How hard are they holding the line on 167s? I thought about applying but didn't wanna deal with arbitrary rejection haha


It's all speculation at this point. But I'd say with your GPA, if you were interested in Wash U you would, I think, get a positive response. If you do apply, do a lot of research about the school, its programs, its location and its reputation. Don't apply just because they are high in the USNWR rankings. (I'm not saying you are, only cautioning against something that could, in fact, garner you a rejection.) That the Admissions office has decided to converse with all applicants they are interested in this year before offering admission should indicate that they are attempting to be more selective this cycle than they were in the past.

User avatar
dproduct
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby dproduct » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:09 pm

romanticegotist wrote:How hard are they holding the line on 167s? I thought about applying but didn't wanna deal with arbitrary rejection haha


Seems like 166 is the new 167 and 167 is the new 168. They already dipped into the 165's. LSAT is much softer than years past.

ks2499
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:40 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby ks2499 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:11 pm

danielr wrote:
romanticegotist wrote:How hard are they holding the line on 167s? I thought about applying but didn't wanna deal with arbitrary rejection haha


It's all speculation at this point. But I'd say with your GPA, if you were interested in Wash U you would, I think, get a positive response. If you do apply, do a lot of research about the school, its programs, its location and its reputation. Don't apply just because they are high in the USNWR rankings. (I'm not saying you are, only cautioning against something that could, in fact, garner you a rejection.) That the Admissions office has decided to converse with all applicants they are interested in this year before offering admission should indicate that they are attempting to be more selective this cycle than they were in the past.


Yeah, I agree, they did seem really interested in why I would want to live in St. Louis during my interview. I wrote a why WUSTL too.

User avatar
romanticegotist
Posts: 1755
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby romanticegotist » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:24 pm

dproduct wrote:
romanticegotist wrote:How hard are they holding the line on 167s? I thought about applying but didn't wanna deal with arbitrary rejection haha


Seems like 166 is the new 167 and 167 is the new 168. They already dipped into the 165's. LSAT is much softer than years past.


here's hoping. Minnesota's numbers so far are hilarious: all acceptances at 167 and all WL at 166

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby JayJones78 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:26 pm

ks2499 wrote:
danielr wrote:
romanticegotist wrote:How hard are they holding the line on 167s? I thought about applying but didn't wanna deal with arbitrary rejection haha


It's all speculation at this point. But I'd say with your GPA, if you were interested in Wash U you would, I think, get a positive response. If you do apply, do a lot of research about the school, its programs, its location and its reputation. Don't apply just because they are high in the USNWR rankings. (I'm not saying you are, only cautioning against something that could, in fact, garner you a rejection.) That the Admissions office has decided to converse with all applicants they are interested in this year before offering admission should indicate that they are attempting to be more selective this cycle than they were in the past.


Yeah, I agree, they did seem really interested in why I would want to live in St. Louis during my interview. I wrote a why WUSTL too.


I was actually surprised I was never asked about STL. I brought it up at the end and told her if she could tell me a little bit about living in STL. More and more I feel like it was a "thank but no thanks" interview. What can I do... I may have to take my other Washington acceptance :shock: (to W&L :D )

ks2499
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:40 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby ks2499 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:28 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
ks2499 wrote:Yeah, I agree, they did seem really interested in why I would want to live in St. Louis during my interview. I wrote a why WUSTL too.


I was actually surprised I was never asked about STL. I brought it up at the end and told her if she could tell me a little bit about living in STL. More and more I feel like it was a "thank but no thanks" interview. What can I do... I may have to take my other Washington acceptance :shock: (to W&L :D )


Meh, it might not mean anything. I think they had made a decision on my file and the interview was a YP measure. I've been in NYC for a long time now and maybe they thought it'd be too much of a change. They probably just haven't had a chance to adequately review your application just yet.

User avatar
romanticegotist
Posts: 1755
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby romanticegotist » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:28 pm

ks2499 wrote:
danielr wrote:
romanticegotist wrote:How hard are they holding the line on 167s? I thought about applying but didn't wanna deal with arbitrary rejection haha


It's all speculation at this point. But I'd say with your GPA, if you were interested in Wash U you would, I think, get a positive response. If you do apply, do a lot of research about the school, its programs, its location and its reputation. Don't apply just because they are high in the USNWR rankings. (I'm not saying you are, only cautioning against something that could, in fact, garner you a rejection.) That the Admissions office has decided to converse with all applicants they are interested in this year before offering admission should indicate that they are attempting to be more selective this cycle than they were in the past.


Yeah, I agree, they did seem really interested in why I would want to live in St. Louis during my interview. I wrote a why WUSTL too.


Thanks for the heads-up. I have not real reason to live in STL (I guess I can play up being a Midwestern boy) but it's a great school.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby JayJones78 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:52 pm

ks2499 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
ks2499 wrote:Yeah, I agree, they did seem really interested in why I would want to live in St. Louis during my interview. I wrote a why WUSTL too.


I was actually surprised I was never asked about STL. I brought it up at the end and told her if she could tell me a little bit about living in STL. More and more I feel like it was a "thank but no thanks" interview. What can I do... I may have to take my other Washington acceptance :shock: (to W&L :D )


Meh, it might not mean anything. I think they had made a decision on my file and the interview was a YP measure. I've been in NYC for a long time now and maybe they thought it'd be too much of a change. They probably just haven't had a chance to adequately review your application just yet.


Perhaps. I don't know really. I tried to do my best to show genuine interest. Hopefully I succeeded.

User avatar
Mr.Binks
Posts: 574
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:49 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby Mr.Binks » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:32 pm

In via e-Mail today.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”